- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

My mom stayed for a few hours before hugging Ryan and I to death and letting me know she wanted to spend as much time as we could together. I told her we would stay unless it became impossible for us to be here. I also promised to keep in touch if we had to leave. Brian had gone down to his loft after seeing some of the video feeds of Rita with Drew. I brought the kids down with me to find out what was going on. Drew reminded me that there was an entrance built for us to use, but I wanted to walk my mom and sister down. I walked up behind Brian as he was writing a statement for me. I waited till he was finished to ask why, when he kept saying he didn’t want a business relationship with me.

 

“You can’t let her keep speaking on your behalf when you’re no longer under contract with her. I figured, stop it now, and then if she keeps talking to the press or tries to assassinate your character, she comes off sounding spiteful that you left her agency.” He tells me.

 

“She’s always been good at walking the line, not saying anything that couldn’t be seen as the truth. It’s why I never liked her.” Drew tells us.

 

“It’s up to you if I send it out.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t see any reason to let her keep talking,” I tell him.

 

After it was sent, Drew went upstairs with the kids, waiting for Emmett to show up. They were all going to watch the movie that Brett sent to Gus. Lindsay and Mel were even planning on showing up to see it. Brian made some remark about trying to make everyone love me.

 

“I don’t go to many premiers or even to the theater often, so when I’m asked for use of my music, I put in the contract that I want a copy of the movie,” I tell him.

 

“It’s the one thing I don’t get, why aren’t you promoting the movies that use your music? It’s something I would suggest.” He tells me.

 

“I went to a few premieres, it just became such a big hassle to have to plan every move I made, going in and coming out. Brett doesn’t need me, his movies are almost guaranteed to do well. I like to support the movies that are good but need a boost to get more people to see them.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just good business to support anything your work is in.” He tells me.

 

“Too bad you won’t represent me,” I tell him.

 

“I do PR work.” He tells me.

 

“It’s all Rita does, she depends on the staff to call and set up the rest,” I tell him.

 

“Justin, I don’t want it to change what we’re working towards.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t think it would change it, but it could make it easier on us to be together without people finding out more,” I tell him.

 

“You want to hide everything but our business relationship?” He asks.

 

“I don’t think it’s something I owe the public. My love life and child aren’t something I ever planned to make public. If eventually, they find out about us, I won’t deny it or confirm it. I’ve just watched too many others throw their personal lives out there and then seen the results when they break up. It becomes stories that never die. It's hard enough when things don't work out, but to have headline upon headline of things that never even happened is worse.” I tell him.

 

“You've always managed to stay out of the rags, there were small stories here and there, but overall, you’ve maintained your privacy.” He tells me

 

“As much as I could. I don't want you to think I like the idea of hiding things. It's more for you than me. If we went public, everything you did in your past or do now gets brought up. Your family and friends will have reporters trying to get something to print. If you stand next to someone, it becomes a story on how our relationship is showing cracks.” I tell him.

 

“I wasn’t asking you for a play by play of reasons why. I like my life without the press hounding anyone I know. We have to be prepared for when it does happen. I know we’ve talked about me not wanting to be part of your business life, but you need representation. I think we should talk to Cynthia about a promotion. If she handles you, then I can still be somewhat outside that area of your life. Cynthia is ready to be the person handling clients and she knows the music industry. You also wouldn’t have to worry about her stepping over lines that Rita stomps all over.” He tells me.

 

“You’ve been thinking a lot about this?” I ask.

 

“I want you to be able to still be a musician if you want to. I get the feeling that Rita is the cause of you not caring if you continue.” He tells me.

 

“Then I’ll talk to Cynthia and see what she can offer,” I tell him.

 

 

MICHAEL

 

I went to the girls’ house and sat around with Lindsay and Mel, but it seemed Gus was already with Brian.

 

“Where’s Jules? I was going to see if he wanted to hang out today.” I ask them.

 

“He had things to do.” Was all Lindsay would say.

 

I sat back watching the TV and got up to see if I was really seeing Ted in the background with that asshole Blake. The girls had gone into the kitchen, so I turned it up to hear it was about Jus T. I would have turned it off, but why was Ted there? Lindsay came in looking at the TV and tried to change the station, but I stopped her.

 

“Do you see Ted?” I ask, pointing at him.

 

“Where?” Lindsay asks, confused.

 

He wasn’t in the background when she looked, but I knew I saw him. I let her turn the channel when they started talking about the ‘Rock God’ in hiding. I bet he was in rehab and this was all just to keep anyone from finding out. I decided to leave when the girls told me they had no clue when Jules would return. I figured I could find out from Brian or Emmett why Ted was there, and what was with that Blake guy being everywhere at once.

 

Kinnetik had people running everywhere when I walked in. I saw Brian in his office watching news coverage. I went in to see him because there was no one to stop me from going into his office. His pit bull wasn’t at her desk.

 

Brian was cursing a blue streak but without using the actual words, and then I saw the reason when a little boy was playing next to his couches.

 

“Hey, what’s going on?” I ask.

 

“Not a good time, I have some business that won’t wait,” Brian tells me.

 

“It looks like you’re babysitting,” I tell him, smiling at the kid.

 

Brian stared at the kid and looked like he didn’t know what to do. I waited for him to say something, and started cussing up a storm when I saw Jules in the lobby talking to Cynthia.

 

“Hey, I forgot something. I’ll see you later.” I tell him, running out to catch Jules before he ran into Brian.

 

“Hey, Jules,” I say quietly, before trying to lead him away from Brian.

 

He looked confused for a second then seemed to walk with me. “Was there something you wanted?” He asks me.

 

“I thought we could maybe have lunch or something,” I tell him.

 

“I’m sort of in the middle of something.” He tells me.

 

“I think Kinnetik is dealing with bigger problems right now. We could come back after having lunch. Trust me, when the boss is pissed, no one wants to be around him.” I tell him.

 

“Hey Ju… I need you. The problem we were talking about figured it out.” Cynthia tells him.

 

“Are you getting a job here?” I asked, not liking him and Brian being around each other.

 

“Justin, fuck, it doesn’t matter now anyway,” Brian said to Jules.

 

“You’ve already meet Jules?” I ask, not very happy to see the look he was giving Jules.

 

“Yes, and right now I need you to go so we can decide what to do,” Brian tells me.

 

“Daddy, why you on TV?” The little boy asks Jules.

 

“Daddy sometimes is, Baby,” Jules tells... his son?

 

“Who the hell are you?” I ask him.

 

“The guy you think will one day disappoint Gus, by OD’ing.” He tells me, rolling his eyes and picking up the kid.

 

“Michael, I need you to prove to me you're the friend you say you are. You didn’t see anything.” Brian warns me.

 

I look outside Kinnetik and see reporters outside the door. I looked at Jules taking his son to Brian’s office and look at Brian who looks more stressed than I’ve ever seen him.

 

“Will someone tell me what’s going on?” I ask.

 

Brian seemed to take a deep breath after looking at Jules, who shrugged at him. Then looked at me with a look I’ve never seen before on his face. “Today you make the decision on where our friendship ends up. Either you help or destroy any chance we stay friends. Being friends is all I'll ever offer you.” He tells me.

 

“Why are you saying that?” I ask.

 

“I need to know that you understand there will never be a future where we end up together. And know this, Justin isn't the reason it would never happen.” He tells me.

 

“I'm not going to lie and say I didn't hope, but fourteen years kind of gave me a clue. Are you seeing someone?” I ask, dying a little, but knowing it wasn’t going to happen.

 

“I'm working on it, but right now I need to get Ryan out of here, with Justin. Cynthia and I are going to try to control the damage. I need you to be the hero you read about.” He tells me.

 

“Are you sure about this?” Cynthia asks, not acting like I'm the answer.

 

“How?” I ask.

 

“Walk out front and take my car around back to the fenced off area. Pull up as close as you can to the door, pick them up and take them to Lindsay. Tell her she's taking a trip with Gus and Ryan.” He tells me.

 

I won't say I didn't want to ask hundreds of questions, because who wouldn’t, but I also knew this could end our friendship forever if I didn’t at least try to help, just by how serious Brian was acting. I took the keys and walked right by the people setting up cameras. Drew came running past me with Emmett and it seemed to wake up the reporters. I walked to Brian’s car and did as he asked. Justin got in, putting Ryan in a car seat and I drove off to Lindsay’s.

 

“Thanks, it seems you surprised me too.” He tells me.

 

“Will you explain what's going on?” I ask.

 

“My ex-agent wasn’t happy when she found out who my new agent was. She seems to think I owe my life to her.” He tells me.

 

“Who are you?” I ask.

 

“Jus T. You know, the guy Gus shouldn't look up to.” He tells me.

 

“Hello, my name is Michael Novotny, I tend to put my foot in my mouth a lot. I think I know better than everyone, and in general, think I'm in love with the wrong people.” I tell him.

 

“So I've been told.” He laughed.

 

Did he have to look sexy laughing at me?