- Text Size +

JUSTIN


Ryan got up and we were making breakfast when Daphne tried to sneak in. She didn’t get past closing the door before Ryan ran to see her. He quizzed her about why she was outside so early, and I managed to distract him with his breakfast.


“I guess the date or whatever you call it, went well,” I tell her.


“We stayed up talking, and only talking.” She tells me.


“Someday you're going to have good stories to tell.” I joke.


“I overheard you might have a story or two of your own to tell.” She smirks.


“Hopefully not one that makes the news,” I tell her quietly.


Daphne kissed Ryan’s head and dragged me to the living room. “What happened?” She asks.


“I guess I’m not as good as I thought I was at covering where I go. The guy who brought us home came here looking for me.” I tell her.


“Is he a reporter? I can get Garrett to show him the hard way out of town.” She assures me.


“I think he’s the guy Rita was trying to make me deal with,” I tell her.


“Justin, you need to just fire her. I’m still trying to figure out why you haven’t. She went too far getting this guy to track you down.” She tells me.


“According to him, Rita doesn’t know he did this, and he also thinks she needs to be fired. He was telling me all this shit about wanting to know who I really am.” I tell her.


“So do all the groupies who think they are ‘the one for you’.” She tells me.


“I guess if we start seeing news vans, then he’s a douche bag groupie. Daphne if that happens, I have to take Ryan away from here. You might want to warn Martha that her brother’s appearance might not be for a family reunion.” I tell her.


“You know that the people who know won’t let anyone near you or Ryan.” She tells me.


“It wasn’t like I planned to hide everything forever. I just wanted Ryan to see life that wasn’t the circus mine is.” I tell her.


“I know, and if this becomes a problem I’ll find the asshole and rip his dick off.” She tells me, heading to her room.


I turned to my son whose eye’s were wide. “Auntie Daph is mad.” He tells me.


“Not at you or me,” I tell him.


“Are you sad, Daddy?” Ryan asks, kissing my cheeks. “All better.” He tells me.


“Yes it is, eat your breakfast, and then how about we go play with Martha’s puppies today? ” I ask him.


Ryan ran to the table, trying to stuff his mouth with food. Ryan wanted a puppy, but I didn’t want Daphne left having to take care of it. Daphne and Martha let Ryan play with her dogs, and it seemed to keep him from asking for one. I called to let Martha know we were coming over, she told me her brother was over. I wanted to know who I was dealing with, and Emmett might be able to give me a clue.


“I’m taking Ryan to Martha’s. Her brother was with the guy, Brian. I want to talk to him.” I tell her.


“I’ll come, that way you don’t have to worry about Ryan.” She tells me.


“Aren’t you going to get some sleep?” I ask her.


“I’ll sleep after we figure out if Martha and I need to dig a few big holes. I’m sure Tom and Camie will help if Brian gives us a reason to regret he came near you.” She tells me.


When we got there Ryan took off and ran to the back yard. Daphne and I were following him. Martha caught Ryan and led us to the back where her brother was sitting.


“Hey Justin, I guess Brian got you home safe,” Emmett tells me.


“Martha why don’t we take Ryan to see the puppies. I’m sure it will give Emmett time to make Justin happy or piss him off.” Daphne tells her, dragging Martha off with her and Ryan.


“Is there some reason she thinks I’ll piss you off? Normally people are happy to see me.” He tells me.


“Why did you and your friends come here?” I ask him.


“Brian seemed to want to come here, and really, we were all tired of our friend Michael trying to set us up on dates, as if he was showing us the way to happiness. I personally think and mind you, Ben is hot, but he’s not the most exciting guy in the world, so Michael keeps setting us up to stay awake when Ben’s friends talk. I hate saying bad things about anyone, but Michael isn't someone you can talk about current events with. Ben’s all new age and intellectual, which only makes me wonder how that relationship has managed to stay together. Ted would have been someone I could see with Ben, but even Ted said it was a struggle to stay awake when Ben starts talking. Anyway, when we sort of took off on another setup, we figured we’d get out of town before Michael starts whining at us. Ben might be boring, but Michael can make your ears bleed when he’s pissed.” He tells me.


“You really are related to Martha,” I tell him, after that very long and strange explanation.


“Yeah, but I’m really the quiet one.” He tells me, laughing.


“I need to know why Brian came here to find me. I don’t like the idea that this part of my life might become tabloid news. I don’t want my son to see the bullshit that comes from me being his father.” I tell him.


“Why would you being his father cause problems?” Emmett asks, totally confused.


“Brian didn’t tell you who I am?” I ask.


“He’s not big on telling anybody anything unless he wants them to know. I really wanted to ask, you know.” He tells me.


“You came here with him, without knowing why?” I ask him.


“Sure. Brian can be an asshole at times, but I trust him.” He tells me.


“You can tell him. He might not even know who you are. Emmett’s into disco, not rock.” Martha teases, as Emmett tries to swat her. “Emmett, understand this is one of those ‘on Aunt Lula’s grave’ things.” She tells him.


“Okay.” He tells us, looking at me.


“I sing for a living,” I tell him.


“I tried that once but stopped when I heard that you have to refrain from talking because you’ll lose your voice. I mean, I could try miming but I always wanted to yell ‘Just say it’ at them. So I guess you did well at singing if you're worried about the press?” He asks.


“Jus did very well Emmett. So well that if anyone was to find out he’s here, let’s just say I’ll be worse than our brothers to anyone who causes it.” Martha tells him.


“You know, it all makes sense now.” He tells us, nodding. But then says nothing else.


“Could you maybe tell me what makes sense to you?” I ask.


“Why your name kept coming up. Deb was telling me it showed that kindness is always remembered. She was touched that you remembered her when Gus wrote to you. Then Brian defended you when Michael started acting like Gus being a fan was wrong. Michael was telling everyone at the table that Gus shouldn’t hero worship a future OD victim. He didn’t exactly say that, but well, it’s not like we didn’t get what he meant. I personally think heroes should be real people, but Michael really believes in worshiping a comic book hero. One who can’t even come out and say ‘I’m Queer.’ Brian defended you, and so did Ted, sort of.” He tells me.


“That’s really sweet, but what does Brian want from me?” I ask him.


“There are just so many ways I could answer that and a few sound fun. What did he tell you?” He asks me.


“He wants to know why he can’t stop thinking about me. Which, trust me, I’ve had enough fans send me all sorts of things and show up thinking that we were meant to be together, to make me wary when he said that.” I tell him.


“Brian said that to you?” He asks, bewildered.


“He seemed to think he could talk to me and I’d prove I wasn’t worth the time he spent trying to figure me out,” I tell him.


“He said that to you? Out loud?” He asks.


“Why are you acting like it’s unbelievable that he would?” I ask.


“He’s not really in touch with his emotions. In fact, he’s like the ‘anti-sharing anything that makes him sound human’ kind of guy. So I’m sort of thinking this whole trip is him wanting to prove whatever bothers him about you, is to exorcize it from him.” Emmett tells me.


“I don’t think it worked. He seemed to think he’d try again when I wasn’t so mistrusting.” I tell him.


“I’ve heard the sex is out of this world.” He tells me like he's waiting for my opinion.


“I couldn’t tell you. He kissed me but that was it.” I tell him.


“He didn’t try anything?” He asks me.


“No. I kind of told him that tricking isn’t me. I got tired of one being like the rest. He asked why I thought he would be anything like that.” I tell him.


“Let me warn you when Brian wants something, not much will stop him.” He tells me.


“Like any other groupie I’ve encountered,” I tell him.


“Brian HAS groupies. He would never BE one. Brian has never bothered to try to know anything about a guy, besides how to get him naked. If he’s trying to get to know you, it’s new territory for him. Normally I’d be telling you Michael’s edicts on Brian, but I have a feeling you’re not going to need them.” He tells me.


“Can I trust him not to say anything about me being here?” I ask him.


“Brian would tell you to your face if he planned on outing you. It’s the kind of guy he is. If he promises you something, you can believe him. He never breaks a promise.” He tells me.


“I hope you're right because if my son’s life is changed because of Brian, I’ll be the asshole everyone tells him I am,” I tell him.


BRIAN


I called to let Cynthia know where I was, and that I wasn’t sure when I’d get back. She let me know that Michael had been by and called a few dozen times and that Ben had called asking if I would call him. I hung up and dialed Ben since it was the first time he called me for anything.


“Hey, give me a minute... Okay. Sorry I just didn’t want Michael knowing I called you.” He tells me when he answers the phone.


“Why did you call me?” I asked.


“I just wanted to apologize to you and the guys. Michael made it sound like you guys wanted to meet some of my friends. I honestly didn’t know you didn’t ask him to do it.” He tells me.


“Mikey wants us all in adult relationships together,” I tell him, throwing enough sarcasm in it so he didn’t miss it.


“Right now, I’m trying to find the adult he thinks I’m dating. He’s spent the last day bitching that you guys took off and didn’t tell him where you were. I asked why he thought you needed to tell him. He told me that you guys are supposed to tell him everything. I’m wondering if I want to be in a relationship with someone like this.” He tells me.


“Emmett is the one to ask if you want relationship advice. If that’s all...” I say.


“He’s your best friend. Which if I didn’t already know, I would, after the many times he’s said it while complaining. I wanted to know if this is really who he is?” Ben asks.


“If you want Michael than you need to decide if you can deal with what he’s doing,” I tell him, hanging up.


I checked my emails, erasing Michael’s as soon as they appeared. I just didn’t have time to appease him. Emmett came into my room and sat there, staring at me.


“What?” I ask.


“Why chase ass when you could have stayed home?” He asks.


“He’s not a piece of ass,” I tell him.


Emmett grinned. “I’ll help.” He tells me, getting up to leave.


“Emmett, he doesn’t need any more reasons to think I’m deranged,” I tell him.


“He won’t. But you know, my sister is friends with him and his son.” He tells me.


“Which doesn’t help me,” I tell him.


“It does when I got her to invite us to a cookout at the neighboring farm.” He tells me.


“How does that help?” I ask.


“Justin will be there.” He tells me.


“I think I have a new best friend,” I tell him.

 

I was at a loss on how to see Justin again, although it seems I didn’t need to be when I had Emmett.