- Text Size +

JUSTIN


I almost turned around and stormed off like the diva he thinks I am. Daphne got her first look at my stalker and yanked me with her. I get that he's incredibly good looking, but so are most people I meet in my business. Yes, somehow my eyes tend to stray to him while he talked to everyone here. Emmett came over with some guy when I really didn’t do much but sit with Ryan.


“Ted sit down, meet my new friend Justin.” Emmett pushes Ted in the chair beside me. “Ted thought you didn't want to be bothered, but I told him you're just pissed at Brian right now.” He tells me.


“I'm sorry, Emmett tends to think because someone listens to him go on and on, they’re suddenly friends,” Ted tells me.


“If that was true I would have believed Brian was my friend sooner. He constantly lets me talk his ear off. Well, unless he finds more interesting company. Then he kinda leaves you standing there talking to air.” Emmett tells me, waving his hands all over.


Ryan started giggling at Emmett, who just started talking to Ryan instead of us. “Really he does! I would be talking away about some fashion mistake, believing I have his attention, and then I look up and see people giving me the Crazy Em stare.” He made faces at Ryan, who started laughing harder.


“Did I mention we rent him out for kids parties?” Brian asks, sitting down in front of me.


“Don’t worry Ryan, he's a softy under the pretty wrapping,” Emmett tells Ryan when he just stared at Brian.


“I like puppies,” Ryan tells Brian.


“My son Gus does too. His mommies said he had to wait to get one.” Brian tells him.


“Daddy said not till I learn to pick up all my toys,” Ryan complained.


“That’s important because puppies take a lot of responsibility,” Brian tells him.


Ryan turned to look at me. “Daddy, what's sponsablity?” He asks.


“It’s when you do things you need to, not want to,” I tell him.


“Like when you have to go away?” He asks.


“Yes, just like that,” I tell him.


“I don’t like that word.” He turns and tells Brian.


“Not many people do. It’s part of growing up. My son Gus doesn’t like having to do his homework, but he does it because it’s what he needs to do. I’m sure your dad doesn’t like it when he has to leave you either.” Brian tells him.


“Daddy said he would stay all the time if he could. He even made me a song.” He tells Brian.


“One of the mysteries solved.” He tells me. “Did it help when Daddy was away?” Brian asks.


“No. I’d rather play with Daddy.” He tells Brian.


“Boys, come get something to eat,” Camie tells us.


“I swear, every time I stay here, the gym and I end up being best friends for more time than I’d like,” I tell Ryan, tickling him as we go get food.


“Wait until you're older, then just being told about a french fry has you running twenty miles and gaining five more pounds,” Ted tells me.


“I’m praying that my metabolism stays where it is. I love every version of fried potatoes there are.” I tell Ted.


“Carbs are the antichrist, just ask Brian,” Emmett tells me.


“You know, even if I gain hundreds of pounds, I can at least say I know what a donut tastes like,” I tell Brian.


“That is really the only reason to live,” Emmett assures us.


“How does that work when you put as much sugar as you do in your coffee?” I ask.


“I sweat it off a lot of different ways.” He tells me.


“I run in the morning after anything Camie cooks,” I tell him.


“Ted and Emmett love to run, maybe we could join you,” Brian tells me.


“Emmett will only run if I’m chasing a big beefy top,” Emmett tells me.


“What’s a top?” Harve asks.


“Don’t tell him, it will only lead to him wanting to know more.” Martha comes over, taking Ryan with her.


“I was going to take care of everything for Ryan,”  I tell her back, as she takes off.


“Harve, why not come with Ted and me as we explain all the many wonders of gay sex,” Emmett tells Harve, pulling Ted with him.


“That wasn’t obvious was it?” Brain asks me.


“Clear as glass,” I tell him.


His phone rings and I watch him grin like it was the happiest day of his life. “Gus, how did you do?” He asks. He carried that very proud look I always have with Ryan when he does something I think is great. “Gus scored perfect on his spelling test,” Brian tells me. “I’ll be home soon and we’ll go for a shake with Grandma Deb.” He tells Gus.


I pulled his phone out of his hand. “Hey Gus, good job,” I tell him.


“Um, thanks. Who are you?” He asks me.


“I’m so disappointed, you asked me to lunch and everything,” I tell him, and sing a little to him.


“NO WAY. Tell Dad I don’t need the shake. Well, unless you want to come too.” Gus tells me, excited.


“I might be coming by there soon. Save me a cheeseburger. Good job on your test.” I tell him, handing the phone back to Brian.


“Yes Sonny Boy, that was really him. I don’t know… I’ll ask and let you know. Night.” Brian tells him hanging up. “I think I just made the number one parent.” He tells me.


“Glad to help you. Apparently, I’m better than a shake with Grandma Deb.” I tell him.


“He’s going to be all over me to find out everything about you.” He tells me.


“Those are the fans I like, the ones that don’t do stupid things like follow me around,” I tell him.


“I’m not a fan of Jus T, I heard he thinks the world should kiss his ass. Now Justin, well that’s a different story, I think I could be a fan of Justin.” He whispers before walking off and grabbing a plate, adding a huge pile of potato salad on it. “I guess I’ll need to run tomorrow.” He tells me.


BRIAN


Everyone was leaving for home. The sheriff showed up to pick up Daphne and pulled me to the side.


“Don’t make me regret that I told you where to find him.” He warns, before walking away.


“I will never get why everyone seems to want to run me out of town,” I tell Justin, as he was walking past with Ryan over his shoulder.


“They know what my life is like.” He tells me.


I followed him home when he didn’t object. “How many people here know?’ I ask.


“I think most do, but I don’t bother to find out when they don’t ask.” He tells me.


“Why did you have a child now, and not later when your life could have been different?” I ask him.


“I wanted him, and possibly more someday. I thought I would wait to meet someone before I had children, but the people I meet aren’t really father material. I wanted to have something important in my life, someone who got every part of me.” He tells me.


“He doesn’t know why you leave does he?” I ask.


“If you aren’t Elmo, Ryan really doesn’t care. To him, that’s famous.” He tells me.


We got to the house and Justin opened the unlocked door and let us in. “You left it unlocked?” I ask.


“I forget when I’m here. I stay being locked behind things all the time, so it’s nice when I can just walk outside.” He tells me, taking Ryan to bed.


He came back and made coffee for us without asking me. I followed him outside. We sat on the steps with him looking forward, not at me.


“How did you get a son?” He asks me.


“My best friend wanted a child, and I told her when she did, I’d help her. Lindsay’s wife and I just agreed she could be the male influence and I’d teach him fashion.” I joke.


“How do you deal with your son not living with you?” He asks.


“Why are you asking questions?” I ask.


“You can come here and quiz me, but don't like it when I do it to you?” He asks.


“You can ask whatever you want, like you, I'll answer unless I don't want to. I deal with Gus being with his moms because they love Gus in a way I always thought parents should.” I tell him.


“It pisses me off that I have to spend time away from Ryan. The thing that bothers me is the idea of him having to be shielded if he just wanted to go outside if he stayed with me.” He tells me.


“Eventually even being here won't protect him,” I tell him.


“I know, and unfortunately you proved it.” He tells me.


“I wouldn’t do anything that hurt Ryan,” I tell him.


“Really, would you promise me that?” He asks.


“Yes. I can promise you, if your life here gets discovered, it won't be because of me.” I tell him.


“I was wondering if I could ask a favor?” He asks.


“If I can do it, yes,” I tell him.


“I want to know about my mom and sister. I just don't need them finding out I asked.” He tells me.


“If you'll trust a friend of mine, I know she could check,” I tell him.


“As long as she only checks. I'm not really sure there's any reason to look since it wouldn’t have been impossible for them to know where I went. I'm just curious.” He tells me.


“Give me a name and I'll get Lindsay to look,” I tell him.


“Jennifer and Molly Taylor. When I left my family still lived in Pittsburgh.” He tells me.


“Deb was right, you lived there,” I tell him.


“In Suburbia, my family was country club all the way.” He tells me.


He went in to write down the address and handed it to me.


“I guess we’re over the mistrust?” I ask.


“I'm hoping Emmett was right, that you never break a promise.” He tells me.


I leaned down and kissed him before walking away.


“Justin, I will never break any promise I give you,” I tell him.