- Text Size +

BRIAN


Emmett and Ted agreed to stay here but decided to stay at the farm with Daphne. Emmett was pissed that Justin couldn’t have a life of his own.


“Why can’t they leave him alone when he needs it? Everyone deserves privacy in their personal life.” He tells us.


“His agent is attempting to show Justin what would happen if he fired her,” Ted tells him.


“Can’t he sue her for this?” Emmett asks me.


“It’s something I’m going to ask Mel after talking to Justin. I don’t like that she was tracking him the way she did.” I tell him.


“Don’t ever let Michael figure out it’s possible, he’d track you down that way if he knew how,” Emmett tells me.


Drew called to tell me he would have someone in Pittsburgh before we got there. I gave him Cynthia’s number and told him she'd let them into the building.


Cynthia called back when she got everything arranged, but I had to tell her what was going on. She only asked what I was going to do about Michael.


“Brian, he's been here and even showed up when I was leaving the loft. I drove off but came back to make sure he’d left. He was banging on the front door, so he knows you changed your locks.” She tells me.


“I need a way Justin can get in and out of my loft without having to be seen outside it. I just don’t know how we can get it done before we get there.” I tell her.


“My cousin could put a door to your storage area inside the loft, then punch through the ceiling into the other loft. We could get the door done tonight if you agree to it. It won't look pretty, but it will be done.” She tells me.


“I need the door to stay concealed. When Michael comes over, he'll notice that.” I tell her.


“Is there a reason you'd let him in?” Cynthia asks.


“I want him to think everything is normal. I doubt we are going to be able to keep that Justin was in this town a secret. I don't want Michael seeing anything that has him questioning why I returned when I told him I didn’t plan to. He would ask too many questions if there was a door that appeared after I changed my locks.” I tell her.


“This is a lot to do for a potential client.” She tells me.


“He's not a client,” I tell her.


“I'll turn my cousin loose. If he can create a way into the other loft before you get back, I'll pay him double.” She tells me.


“Justin’s bodyguard is going to have someone there before we are, make sure he can get in. In fact, put him on the lease as the person living there.” I tell her.


“How long is Jus T staying there?” She asks.


“Justin, not Jus T, and he’ll be there as long as he needs it. I need it so he can always come to me if he needs to.” I tell her.


Cynthia was silent for a minute. “I'll get everything done, just get here safely.” She tells me, hanging up.


Justin pulled up to my hotel, I was already waiting outside. Martha and Harve showed up with a basket for Justin. It seemed they weren't happy that Justin had to leave his home.


“Are you sure you need to go?” Martha asked.


“I was already planning on going, Rita just moved up the time.” He tells her.


“I hope the press will enjoy some of the places we plan to send them. I think that shack in the swamp should make them think twice about coming here. Everyone in town is planning to make the idiots stay here and have all sorts of fun.” Harve tells us.


I had to stop them before the press knew they were in the right place. The press could sniff the secret they were trying to hide if they did anything like what they were thinking.


“Welcome them to town, and get the money they'll bring by coming here. If asked about Justin, have everyone scratching their heads, asking questions about who he is. The press is going to offer bribes for information, take them and lead them wherever you want. Right now they think they're looking for Justin and a boyfriend, so make sure no one mentions Ryan to them. If they figure out Ryan exists then everything Justin did will no longer matter.” I tell them. “If they somehow find out about Justin, then tell them he took off with his boyfriend after showing up here when his car broke down. There is nothing here that leads to Justin, but if it gets out, let them believe it was only a stop on his way to anywhere but here or Pittsburgh. As far as anyone is concerned, he's a brunette, not a blond.” I tell them.


“So if someone spills the beans, send them to Florida,” Martha tells Harve.


“What if they ask about you?” Harve asks.


“Make up something, idiot. Don’t give them his name and address. ” Martha tells him.


“Rita tipped them off. So they know I was here today at least,” Justin mentioned.


“Give me your phone. We'll replace it when we get there.” I tell him, pulling the battery and tossing them to Harve. “Take it where you want, then put it back together and toss it,” I tell Harve.


“I’ve got just the place,” Harve tells me, taking off.


I got in after Martha said goodbye to Justin and Ryan. We left town as silently as when I came here. Ryan didn’t seem to mind being in the car and fell asleep an hour later. It was easy to see he’d driven this route often.


“You always drive to get here?” I ask.


“I needed a way that no one would see me. Getting a flight or any other way would just make it easier for people to find me. I actually like driving, because I can decompress before I get to Ryan.” He tells me.


“I want to talk to Mel. It can’t be legal that Rita was using your phone to track you down.” I tell him.


“Especially since I didn't resign with her.” He tells me.


“You weren’t planning to were you?” I ask.


“I don’t even know if I plan to stay in the music business. I don't need the money or the bullshit. I like what I do and it didn't bother me until I had Ryan.” He tells me.


“Not much bothered me about my life until Gus. I want him to have the life I didn’t.” I tell him.


“I think we all want that for our kids.” He tells me.


“He makes me question if I want him to see my life the way I live it,” I tell him.


“Random men floating in and out?” He asks.


“He's never seen that it's just that eventually, he's going to ask why I don’t date or even bring anyone to see him,” I tell him.


“Why don't you?” He asks.


“I've never believed I would love anyone,” I tell him.


“What about Gus? I'm assuming you do, I could see it when you talked to him.” He tells me.


“It's different with Gus,” I tell him.


“Not every parent loves their child.” He tells me.


“No they don't, or they twist it so you can't tell if it's love or hate,” I tell him.


“You still know the difference, and can rise above what you were taught. Ryan will always know I'm proud of him. I will never do to him what my father did to me,” He tells me.


“Gus won't have the Kinney legacy,” I tell him.


“Is that why he doesn’t have your name?” He asks.


“It's not a name he could be proud of having. I like that my father won’t have his name carried on by me. He died knowing Gus wasn’t a Kinney, no matter whose blood ran in his veins.” I tell him.


EMMETT


Ted and I went with Harve when he told us he was taking the phone somewhere. Ted was worried about where he planned to put it. He drove out to a farm further out of town before stopping and leaping the fence. Ted and I were following him, but unlike Harve, these shoes weren’t made for cow patties. He kept looking around until he found the hugest pile of shit I've never wanted to see. He put the phone together laughing like a crazy man, then shoved it in.


“I hope old Rita shows up and tracks the phone here.” He tells us.


“Why?” Ted asks.


“She wants to shit on Justin, she can look in shit to find him.” He tells us. “By the way, now would be a good time to get out of here.” He tells us looking behind him, before running past us.


Ted and I turned, making our way back, not getting why he was running like his pants were on fire. “Guys, get the Y gene out and run.” He yells from the other side of the fence.


“Why?” I yell.


“Big Bubba isn’t keen on people in his pasture.” He tells us.


I turn, and fuck the shoes, a horn in my ass is not ever a story I want to tell.


We all were hungry after running from the bull and went to the restaurant in town. There were a lot of people who looked out of place. Anne was running all over the place and Harve and I got up to help her get drinks to tables and hear what they might be discussing. I had three different people asking me all about the town and if I’d heard a rumor that Jus T was here. I gave them blank stares and asked who Justy was.


We sat down and ordered while watching more cars drive into town. I guess I thought we’d see a few reporters. It was like the president was in town the way they were flocking in. The local news guy sat with us and then a wall of muscle sat beside me.


“Emmett, Ted I’ve been looking all over for you.” The guy sits with us.


“Drew, it’s interesting to see you here.” A man says as he walks over to the table.


“Why would that be Patrick?” Drew asks.


“It would make sense if Jus T was here, you were,” Patrick says loudly.


“I’m on vacation with my boyfriend. I wouldn’t know why that would mean Jus is here.” Drew tells him, putting his arm around me. “Emmett, meet Rita’s pet, Patrick. Emmett and I came to see his sister.” He tells Patrick.


Patrick sits down next to Drew, I didn’t like the guy. “It’s strange that you disappeared from Jus’s security team years ago, and now you're in the town that we found out Jus has been hiding in. We’ve always wondered why you left, Jus seemed to trust you with everything.” He tells him.


“When Rita fired you, Jus didn’t need someone watching his house so you couldn’t just come and go as you pleased. I guess Rita’s lost her mind if she thinks bringing you back will win any points with Jus. I hope she knows what she’s doing is only guaranteeing Jus will walk away. Jus definitely listened to me when I worked for him because you guys are being sent on a wild goose chase if you believe he would be here. He’s never been stupid, I’ll have to tell him I’ve seen you if I talk to him.” Drew tells him.


“I just came to see what the fuss was about.” Patrick gets up, leaving the table quickly.


“Not that I mind having you for a boyfriend, but why?” I ask Drew.


“I came to see what was going on, but when I saw Patrick I needed a reason to be here. You and I are going to be spending a lot of time together.” He orders me.


“I always wanted to play Whitney to Kevin,” I tell him.