- Text Size +

BRIAN


We managed to finally get here after Emmett got us lost. He swore he knew shortcuts, which only lead to dead ends on some side roads that I'm sure serial killers wouldn’t have minded getting a tour of as places to stash the bodies but was really not what I wanted when we’d been driving all night and half the morning. The sign telling us we made it had my undying gratitude that I hadn’t killed Emmett. We pulled into a small restaurant in town because Ted told me he’d call Michael and tell him where to find us if he didn’t get fed soon.


We walked in and were sitting down when a couple of guys at the next table made a comment about us.


“Jesus, this is all we need.” One of the guys said.


“Why can’t you guys find some other place to go?” Another one said.


“Is there a problem?” The waitress asked them all.


I could feel Emmett vibrating with anger. He told us often that things like this were the reason he’d left. I glared at the guys who glared back at us.


“Is there some reason we shouldn’t be here?” I ask them.


“We don’t need some slicked up city guy showing up and making the women forget there are men who aren’t looking for a roll in the hay.” He tells me.


“We'd only be looking because they smell better than you.” Anne, the waitress, tells him.


“If it helps, we play for the other team,” Emmett tells him.


It was silent in the restaurant. The guy looked at me and Ted. “You yeah, I see that, but that one, you have to be kidding.” He tells Emmett, pointing at me.


“I guess I'm going to make your day then, he's the gayest gay man on the planet,” Emmett announces.


“I look gay?” Ted asks as if he's insulted.


“Not really, it's just you wouldn’t give any of us a run for our money on the women.” He tells Ted.


“Believe what makes you happy Harvey. I think he's kind of cute.” Anne says, smiling at Ted.


Harvey gets up to sit with us, apparently happy we were gay. First time for everything is all I could think.


“So what's got you guys in these parts?” He asks. “Bring them some of those fancy eggs no one orders.” He tells Anne.


“Brian wanted to come, not really sure why. I come from Hazlehurst.” Emmett tells him.


“My brother married a girl from that town, said we were a step up from the beer swilling, redneck boys in that town. She’s a good girl, but can talk till your ears fall off.” He tells Emmett.


“My sisters were the same, I haven’t seen them in years,” Emmett tells him, looking sad.


“Martha would know, plus it would give our ears a break.” He tells us.


“Emmett Honeycutt, ain’t you a sight for sore eyes.” A tiny woman yells from the door.


“Told ya,” Harve tells us, rubbing his ear.


“Martha, you got married and didn’t tell me.” Emmett shrieks, running to catch the woman.


“Emmett I didn’t even tell the rest of the family, just did what you did and left. Nothing worth staying for. I met Matt when I was looking round here for a job. We got married a month later. I didn’t want them coming here and asking for money. Look at you, you look happy. Why are you here?” She asks, sitting down.


“Brian wanted to come.” He tells her, waving at me.


“I came to see if I could find someone who might live close by. He’s been here before.” I tell them.


“We all know everyone here. You have a name?” She asks.


“Jus, he goes by it sometimes,” I tell them, and had Ted give me a strange look.


“I’ve never heard of him,” Martha tells me.


“He might be from up north,” Ted tells them.


“The vet is from someplace north, and so’s her friend, who only comes here to see his boy,” Harve tells me.


“Harve, she isn’t interested in your sorry ass,” Martha tells him.


“Maybe she’s into you.” Harvey teases. “Daphne and Martha hang out a lot.” He tells us.


“She’s interested in someone who won’t get off his lazy ass and ask her out,” Martha tells us, glaring at the sheriff drinking coffee.


“I’m planning to, I just didn’t want her to have to leave Ryan alone all night. Tom told me Ryan’s dad’s staying, so I planned to talk to her tonight. Are you happy Martha?” He asks her.


Emmett stayed behind, talking to his sister, while Ted and I were going to check in and take a nap. The sheriff came out and asked to talk to me.


“Come to the dance in the park tonight. Most of the town comes, so he could be there.” He tells me, walking off to his car.


“Brian, why are we here, did Rita tell you where to find him?” Ted asks me.


“Rita doesn’t know anything about this. He interests me.” I tell him.


JUSTIN


We went over to Tom’s house for dinner. I dragged out some boots and a straw hat. I miss going to things where I wasn’t expected to perform and do meet and greets while people partied around me. I dressed Ryan up in his favorite overalls, he threw the hat Tom gave him on his head and ran ahead of us to get to Camie.


“Come on in, we’re about to eat.” She tells us.


Camie made Ryan a plate with fried chicken and mashed potatoes, happy to watch him enjoy his food. “Ryan always makes cooking worth it. Our daughters were too busy being worried they’d gain a pound.” She tells me.


“Hopefully Ryan will be like me. I’ve never had a problem with eating what I want. I work off a lot when I work.” I tell her.


“Tom said you were planning on staying for a while?” She asks me.


“I’m lucky enough that I can do that. I want to see Ryan growing up.” I tell her


“Well, just have fun tonight, Ryan can play with the kids. You look like you could use a night of fun.” She tells me.


We got to the park where they were holding the dance. Ryan followed me until he saw kids he knew, Camie told me to go on and meet my neighbors. I walked around with people, saying hi here and there. Then I headed to the stage where they were playing music for everyone. It was different to be watching the stage, it made my hands itch to play.


I turned away before doing something stupid and ruining the place I wanted for Ryan. Most people barely paid attention to me here, and I liked that. I saw Daphne dancing and I sat under a tree, just enjoying everything.


“I'm still not getting naming a town after a tree that is nowhere to be found.” A guy tells me, sitting down.


“I've always wondered that too,” I tell him.


“This town is so different from my hometown.” He tells me.


“Where are you from?” I ask.


“Just a spec on the map, Hazlehurst.” He tells me.


“I think I drive thru there on my way here,” I tell him.


“There is nothing worth stopping for. Just people who treat you like garbage if you aren’t looking to knock up a girl.” He tells me.


“Yeah, not my kind of place, thanks for letting me know.” I joke.


“Where are you from? You don’t sound like you’ve lived around here.” He tells me.


“I’ve lived all over but came here when a friend told me about it,” I tell him.


“I live in Pittsburgh now, but it’s nice to come back. I really didn’t expect to be thrilled, but my sister moved here so I might come by more often.” He tells me.


“I lived there when I was young, haven’t been back in years,” I tell him.


“Sounds like you didn’t like it there.” He tells me.


“Same issue, family. I really haven’t seen them in years.” I tell him, wondering if they ever looked for me after I left.


“You should check and see if anything’s changed. My sister surprised me by being happy to see me.” He tells me.


“You could be right, but why mess up my life when I’m happy with how it turned out. It was nice to talk to you, but I need to check on my son.” I tell him.


“I’m going to be around for a while, so maybe I’ll see you. My name’s Emmett.” He tells me.


“Justin. Later.” I tell him, going to see what Ryan was doing.


I stood back and watched Ryan dancing with the kids. They had a clown leading them in the hokey pokey. Ryan was having a ball. I looked around and another guy was watching the kids with a smile on his face. I tried to see what kid he was looking at, but the kids were all over the place.


The guy was really gorgeous, and turning down offers left and right when women came up to ask him to dance. He seemed more interested in watching the kids. It was fine with me, he wasn’t hard to stare at. When the dance ended, Ryan ran to Camie, not seeing me. The guy looked confused about something and turned, disappearing in the crowd. Camie came over with Ryan and we took him to get some ice cream. We spent the next few hours letting Ryan play the games they set up for the kids. Ryan was tired and just laid over my shoulder, sleeping while I sat with other people talking. Daphne came by and told me she would be late, and when the sheriff walked ahead she thumbed up, letting me know that this was who she was waiting for to ask her out.


I was ready to go but didn’t want Tom to feel like he had to leave. I walked around with Ryan’s snores in my ear. I got to the edge of the park and saw people leaving. The guy from earlier was talking to the guy, Emmett, I met earlier, but stopped and stared at me.


“Do you need to get him home?” He asks.


“I came with some people,” I tell him.


“I don’t mind giving you a ride.” He tells me.


“I don’t have my son’s car seat,” I tell him, not really sure about accepting rides from people I don’t know.


“It’s up to you, but he must be getting heavy. My son was like a brick when he sleeps like that.” He tells me.


“Trust me, Brian wouldn’t let anything happen to a kid,” Emmett tells me, like that should make me trust him.


I gave in when I really wanted to go to bed myself. Tom came with me to meet them and get Ryan’s car seat and told me that Emmett was related to a girl in town. He seemed to think that made everything safe. I gave Brian directions to the farm. He drove silently and pulled up to the house. I went to get Ryan and he pulled the car seat out for me. I let him in and told him to put it in the closet. I took Ryan to his room and put him to bed. Then came out to thank Brian for getting us home. I figured since he was here I’d make some coffee. It was just he interested me in a way no one has, hopefully, there isn’t a complete asshole under that face.


“If you want we can sit outside and have coffee.” I offer.


“I wouldn’t mind.” He told me.