- Text Size +

James/Hunter:


"I love my mom, she is my mommy so I can't not love her. I know that she is a bitch, a crack whore, a slut, and all those words the mean men that she always bring home call her. But she is still my mommy, and I love her… until two weeks ago" I started speaking.


I was placed in a… stance?... stand? There was an old man sitting on another one, a taller one, next to me. He is looking at me, everyone is looking at me. My mom is looking at me, she looks angry, and I wanted to leave. But then I looked at my hero, he smiled at me and nodded encouragingly. I smiled slightly at him, and tried to calm down. If I wanted to stay with my new d… dad I needed to do this.


I can do this, I thought calmer.


"She has been trying to get me to meet with those bad men for a while, but I didn't want to. They are bad, rude and they hurt me and my mommy. Also, a nice old lady that used to live next to us always told me that I shouldn't let anyone touch me like those men wanted to, until I get older and it's someone I love a LOT. Otherwise, it would be rape. I didn't know what rape meant, so I look it up in a public library's computer. It was horrible… I didn't sleep for months without waking up screaming, finally I stopped, afraid of mom hitting me again… as she did every time I wake her up with my screams".


I hear my daddy saying bad words and looking very angry, I was scared for a little while, but then saw that his glare- the same one mommy gave me before she slapped me- wasn't directed at me.


He was glaring at mommy.


So I calmed down and continued: "When that mean man came two weeks ago to our home, I thought it was another meeting, they always go to her room- the only room of the small flat- and make very strange noises… similar to the ones of the video I saw that day at the library. But that can't be… I don't want my mommy hurt. So when that man didn't go to her room I relaxed, but when he gave her a plastic bag with what I think were pills I tensed again. 'My mommy is in pain' I thought sadly, I didn't want my mommy in pain so I went to ask her if I could do anything" I shuddered at the memory, "Can I have my daddy please?" I asked the old man next to me, I had to look up for he was too high.


I wanted to cry, but I was a big boy. I was daddy's little Hunter, and hunters don't cry. They are fearless and brave, facing beasts. Beasts like that mean man… like mommy.


The old man, that daddy called… fudge?... jude?... judge?, said ok and daddy rushed to my side. I smiled at that, cause it shows he cares. That he likes me, and wants me safe… mommy never cared? But daddy does!


"I'm here Hunter, don't worry my big boy. I'm not leaving, you can do this" daddy's words made me strong, and I could continue.


"Mom smiled at me and told me that I could please this man for her, then mommy will feel better. I thought she meant that I had to play with him… I didn't like the game. He… he to… touched me… where gra… granny said no… no one ca… can" I began to sniff, and I was afraid I wasn't daddy's brave boy anymore and he wouldn't want me.


But daddy still wants me: "Do we have to do this again?" He growled at the old man "Can't you just read the police report and the child service's one?" Daddy glared at the man next to us.


I didn't dad to get into trouble, the man with the suit- the one daddy said will make sure I leave with him- told me we have to be respectful to the old man because he is important. But still I liked that daddy cares so much, that he doesn't mind getting into trouble for me. It made me feel warm inside… safe. I finally have someone to lean on, and know he will protect me: daddy is my hero.


I grab his shirt and tugged a bit, that caught his attention, making him look down "It's ok daddy, I can do this" I tell him, after calming down, before continuing "I didn't like it, so I yelled for help. The mean man hit me, mo… mommy let him… that's when daddy came. Men with uniforms broke the door down, daddy rushed through them and punched the mean man, making him fall on mom. The fall broke her arm" I look at the cast she has, but quickly turned my look away when she glared at me. Daddy's arms around me tighten, giving me comfort "Daddy then took me in his arms and cradled me against his chest, mumbling comforting words. I don't remember what happened next, everything went so fast. The cops cuffed mom and the mean man, I was taken to the hospital where a nice lady asked me some questions, then another cop came and asked me similar questions. Why do I have to answer the same questions two... three times?" I ask no one in particular "What I do remember is daddy, he never left my side. I didn't... don't want him to leave my side. Daddy is my hero mister" I told the old man, looking at him. Trying to make sure he understands me, what I am feeling "Daddy came from nowhere and saved me from those beats, in all his rage he defeated the villains and saved the day... saved me. He cares about me, he says that he loves me... no one ever cared or loved me before. Please don't take him away from me!".


I know that I am bab... babilon... babbling! Yes, babbling. I know that I am babbling, but I have to make sure I don't loose daddy: "Daddy took me to this hotel, a very nice one and big! He gave me my own room and make sure that I have whatever I want. We went there because he is changing his loft to have me in there, because that nice lady of the hospital told him he needs to do so to keep me. Daddy is changing his life for me, he is a good man. Please let me stay with him! He cares! Whenever I woke him up with my screams after a nightmare he didn't hit me, he gathered me with a bed sheet- because I couldn't stand someone touching me- and hugged me, until I fell asleep again. He talks to me, he works from home for me, he plays with me, he puts me first... he wants me! My mom doesn't want me... but my daddy does... please don't take my daddy away from me!" this time I can't stop the tears falling from my eyes, when I stopped talking I was sobbing against my daddy's expensive shirt. But I didn't care, cause I knew daddy wouldn't hurt me for ruining his clothes... not like mom does.


I am safe with daddy... I want to stay with daddy... please God let me stay with daddy!


Brian:


The whole courtroom is silent, we could just stare at Hunter as he cried himself to sleep. I couldn't believe the outburst that just happened... or the trust he has on me! Since he was placed under my care for the time being- until a verdict was given- he has been moody, untrusting, not letting me close to him unless it was to help him sleep, he even attempted to run away... twice. He didn't speak back when I tried to make a conversation, he made a scene demanding to change his food whenever he ordered from room service, he never played back, he made this couple of weeks impossible... damn it! He was testing me. Testing me to see if he could trust me not to be blinded by rage and hit him, testing me to see if I really wanted him in my life or were they just words... to see if he was just a charity case. Something that both Michael and Ben failed, repeatedly. But the might-have-been-Hunter of the future knew what the streets were like and didn't want to go back, so he stayed because he didn't have anywhere else to go. This young, hurt and still- thank God- innocent little Hunter doesn't, so he has the liberty of being more clear with his actions. Luckily I had gained his trust, and just like me he will do anything to keep those he trusts and hold dear to the heart close.


I hate myself for not noticing him, not noticing the clear signals of help that he was... would have been shown in that horrible future. I look down at my son, I don't need a damn paper to tell me who is my child- not like Mel- and Hunter is my son. I look down at the little boy in my arms and I could only stare at the beautiful unmarked boy and see myself, see my own actions being repeated in his. And I promised myself then that I will make sure he gets the help he needs, to fix him. I made a mental note to call Alex and arrange a weekly appointment with him for Hunter.


"I think that's enough" I declare, looking at the judge- daring him to say otherwise. The smart man just nodded, I descended from the stand and headed towards Phil- my lawyer. The courtroom seems to have snapped from their shock and began talking again, but silently to not wake up Hunter- or at least I think so "I will go out, I'll leave everything in your hands. Make sure that the bitch can't even be in the same city as my son" I hissed at him "If I stay longer I will kill that crack whore, and Hunter can't have me in prison".


Phil just nodded, I headed out without another word and wished to have a smoke. But I really can't fall back into one of my vices, not now that I have Hunter in my care... and also, not now that I am finally proud of the man I have become.


"That was beautiful!" exclaimed a very familiar voice behind me.


As soon as I had put Hunter on the bank next to the courtroom, we had just been in, I had an armful of a queened Emmett. He was crying in my chest as I held him, I didn't even care that he was ruining my Armani shirt with his make up- Hunter already did that with his tears. I was happy that I won't have to work so much to start showing the gang that I am a changed man, at least I'll have a friend back after the scene in the courtroom. Emmett after all, is a perceptive man, he knows the true nature of people and he'll defend his friends against anything. Hunter's words could only show my good nature, and being part of the gang plus being good made me in consequence his friend. And I couldn't be happier for that.


"Honeycutt, what are you doing here? Is the rest of the gang as well?" I ask him. I kind of disappeared these two weeks, I've been so busy with the remodelling, with the process to adopt Hunter, working for Ryder, trying to make sense of everything that is going on with my life and making sure my son trusts me, that I didn't have time for anything else.


"I'm on my own- and don't call me Honeycutt!" he snapped at me, but without the usual heat. He finally released me from his death hug, he stepped back a bit, trying to fix his ruined eyeliner "I just can't believe everything Hunter had to go through, and the way Ben and Michael never cared to help. We were so busy with praising him about what a good action they did by taking him in, that we didn't notice how he was continuing to be mistreated".


"I know Emmy Lou, but that's because we just couldn't see Zen Ben and Angel Michael do something bad. Also, we all thought the same: Hunter was off better with them than in the streets" I stopped talking as soon as I noticed what was happening "Emmett... did you... have you..."


"Wow, the great Brian Fucking Kinney is speechless. I never thought I would see the day" he commented with a smile and a wink "Yes Brian, I also had a prophesy. And before we ask no, I am the only one apart from you and Mysterious Marilyn".


"Do... do you know who gave us the ability?" I asked, when I finally was able to recover my speech. I didn't dwell too much into the fact that someone else had a prophesy, everything has become so crazy lately that this is the most normal thing that happened during the last two weeks. So, I just went on with it.


At least I am not on my own in this, I thought a bit relieved.


"I do, I can't say who they are and no, I don't work for them... it's complicated" he answered.


"What about us isn't?" I replied, making him snort a laugh.


"True. Now I have a question for you, why did you lie to Marilyn?" he asks, making me look at him confused "I mean, you told her that you would buy the loft from above or the one below to combine them. But Billy told me that you just remodelled your old loft. Why didn't you go on with the previous plan?"


"Before I started my two weeks from hibernation..." I started joking "I went to tell Ryder why I was taking a small vacation, he was so surprised and please with my change of character that he offered me a big chance. He saw the son he never had back in me and told me that if I keep this attitude in eleven months I will be the head of the new branch he is wanting to put in New York" I announced, a squealed happily but tried to keep it down for Hunter. That's why he turned to be my new best friend in Michael's place "I will get that chance for sure! So I just need a comfortable place here for both of us, and then in New York I can go all the way with an amazing penthouse. Ryder told me too that I don't have to take days off my vacation reserve, that I could work from home and then use those days to take Hunter to Disney during winter break. Also, Billy? The man I put in charge of my loft?"


"How the hell do you think that he was able to do everything you wanted in two weeks? And with such short notice? I used to date him and asked him to do this small favour for me, luckily he still does care for an old flame" was his snarky reply, but then he smiled at me "I'm happy for you Brian, I really am. You deserve to go to New York and have your dream of conquering the big apple. But... what about baby?"


"Calm down Honeycutt, there is no life worth living in without Sunshine for me. You more than anyone knows that. I will find him, make him fall in love with me again and then convince him to apply to universities in New York. What's a better place for artists than New York?" I replied with my own sunshine smile, everything is going so well that I can't believe it. I am still scared to wake up and all of this being a dream "If you've been here for two weeks, what have you been doing? Why didn't you contact me before?" I asked, trying to chase those bad images away from me.


"Ah..." he sighed sadly, getting my full, worried attention "I can't live with Michael, Brian. Especially not with the harpy of Debbie coming all the time, no wonder that bastard never grew up. She still treats him as if he were five years old!" he exclaims in anger, and getting Emmett angry is very difficult... but after what those two did, no wonder he disappeared for two weeks as well "I had to move out into Marilyn's place and convince Billy to speed up the process of your loft and let me help out with the decoration" so I have nothing to worry about, if the loft was in Emmett's hands everything should be fine "What are we going to do now?"


"I am going to take my son home, and then buy him a new wardrobe and toys as a celebration of our victory today. The rest... well, we'll just have to wait and see how the chips fall into place. But for now, will you be my son's godfather Emmy Lou? Cynthia already accepted being his godmother, but he still needs a..." once again, I have an armful of a queened Emmett "I take it's a yes".


"You bet it asshole!" he replies, voice muffled by my shirt.


"Brian!" Phil called out for me, coming out of the courtroom. I looked at my watch and saw that it hadn't even passed half an hour "We made it. She has no rights to James anymore, and they are giving her a full sentence. When she comes out of prison, she will not have any visitation right either, and thank to James' outburst I was also able to get her a restriction order for when she is out".


"Damn it!" I cursed, with a big smile which flattered when I noticed that he didn't mention anything about my rights "What about me? Can Hunter stay with me?".


"Yes, don't worry" he calmed me down "Normally it would require you to be his foster father for a year before the adoption, but this isn't a normal case so they made an exception and... you have full rights to James. He is your son!" he announced, now I did burst in happiness.


"Congratulations Brian, it's a boy!" Emmett joked, but he had happy tears in his eyes... again.


"They still will demand you to take him to a physiologist once every week and they'll come to check him once every month for a year to see if things are going well. Also, you'll have to control your vicies for this year. If they declare you an unfit father they will take James away from you".


"Relax Phil, I have left all that behind me. Now I am a family man... so, I can take him home? For real?"


He smiles comfortingly at me: "You can, just your signature and everything will be ready. Then we can welcome James Victor Kinney into the world".


I heard Emmett gasp next to me: "Did you..."


"Yeah. When I requested a change of name, I didn't only ask for his last name but also for him to have Vic's name as a middle one. He deserves to be commemorated like that" I told him.


"Good" was all I got, before he turned back to the sleeping boy near to us "Welcome home Hunter!"