- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Brian:

 

I couldn't stop the smile spreading, as I got ready for my first day back to the office, even if I wanted to. After all, it has been a very progressive week. After winning complete custody over Hunter I took him shopping, I didn't even care about a budget: Gucci, Prada, Boss, Armani, Ralph Lauren, we even went to Gap for everyday clothing! I wanted him to have everything he couldn't... in that horrible future, I'll make sure never comes true! Not to count that while I was making my little boy happy, also buying quite a few toys, Emmet helped me out by calling Alex and arranging a weekly session with my son after explaining our situation. He even informed Social Services for me.

 

In the family aspect... well, things weren't perfect but getting there. I invited Vic to the new loft and demanded secrecy from his part before presenting Hunter to him. He was so touched by me naming my son after him that he cried a bit, but in happiness of course. He understood my reasons for why I wanted to keep him a secret for now, even if he didn't like it, so he swore to respect my wishes. I even took him to the hospital afterwards and bought him the best meds that are in the market, I know he'll die one day, but I'll be damned if I won't make the best effort to make sure it doesn't happen so soon... specially not the way it happened in the prophecy.

 

But what I liked the most about his visit is how the light in Vic's eyes, the one that has been missing lately, came back when he found about Hunter's middle name. I know why the Vic of my prophecy had lost the will to live, and considered his situation a death sentence. Not only he felt as no one will ever love him because he was... 'infected', but the constant humiliation Debbie put him through crushed his self-esteem. Debbie was so obsessed with not being left behind, much like her son, that she made sure to make her brother feel like he'll be unable to live without her. That he can't have a life without her, which was the principle cause of the problems that arose when Uncle Vic began dating Rodney. However, when he met my son it was as if he had found out that he mattered to someone other than his sister... that his life was important. Especially when I asked him if he would like to be Hunter's grandfather.

 

I hated Debbie even more now, which I thought would be impossible after what her prophecy-self is supposed to do. Luckily, when Emmett asked Vic if he would like to be his business partner for the event organizing company he is planning to make, I was able to escape my dark thought and concentrate on helping them out. I offered to use my contacts to make it easier for them to get a loan, but for that they would need a list of clients and a business plan. Luckily I knew what an excellent team they are, so I can easily pass their contact with my clients- some of them trust my judgement so much that they'll accept my word, but other's will need a bit more convincing.

 

As for a place to work I told Emmett my plan to tip the police about the illegal stuff that happens in Babylon so they close the place. As long as that place stays open I won't be able to sleep at all, I need it gone and my nightmares gone with it. After the police finishes with the place, the price of the building would have gone down a lot after everything. I told Emmett of my plan of buying it for them, he was angry when I said that I would put it under their name. He didn't want me to feel as if he was using me for money, as the others always do. At the end I got him to accept this gift from me, but as a loan and only if I promised to let them pay for the remodelling of Babylon with the loan they were getting from the bank. I accepted those terms as long as he promises that they will start paying the bank loan first and then mine, after all I won't make them pay taxes.

 

Considering the business plan, for now they at least know that while Emmett takes care of the actual planning, Vic will be in charge of the food. If they have any problems or doubts about how to proceed they know I am here to help them out. Emmett already asked for it, he wants me to use my contacts to reach to George when they were ready to cater him. I was surprised that he would want to go through all the hiding again, especially when I know he found his soul mate in Drew. I never liked the stupid football player, not after everything he made Emmy Lou go though. But when it came down to it, he returned to my friend's side in his time of need. Even after Emmett gave him the possibility to be free and experiment as much as he wanted, when he heard about the bombing and Justin's death he gave up his freedom to be there for his ex-lover. He earned my respect after that, and didn't like the fact that Emmett was planning to give that up for an old flame.

 

However, when he explained his reasons I calmed down. Emmett told me that he wasn't giving up on Drew, but he knows that he isn't ready for him. When the times comes he'll fight for Drew's love, as he did in the prophecy- but without letting himself be humiliated by the football player. Emmy Lou is planning on keeping his pride, gain Drew's love and stop his wedding this time. How he plans to do that, I have no idea. But if anyone is capable of doing that is Emmett, especially now that he has the upper hand of knowing Drew rather than being blind in how to act around him.

 

"Then why are going after George?" I had asked him- after I had returned from giving Vic a lift back home-, confused by the contrast between his a ctions and words.

 

"I loved... love George very dearly, maybe not as much as Drew but enough to have him by my side while I wait" he has answered, making me angry.

 

"Then you are treating him as a placeholder, just like Michael did to Ben" I had snapped at him, not wanting to believe that history was repeating itself.

 

"That's not it!" he had exclaimed, hurt by my words "George is going to die, the doctors- in the prophecy- said that even if we had noticed the heart problems he was having... there wasn't a thing they could have done. Brian, George died ashamed of who he was... always behind a perfect façade, afraid of what other's might think, and not enjoying his life as he wanted to. Did you what I deduced when I was reading his will? He knew he was dying and took me on that trip because I never expected anything from him, but to him to be himself. George wanted to his last days to be lived in happiness and freedom. I give him that Brian! He as so good and kind to me, and he is very important to me as well. So I want to meet him again, that we fall in love again and make his last two years the best he can have. But I want to teach him as well, make him accept himself and to not care what others might think. I want him to die loving himself... do you understand that?".

 

That conversation sealed the deal, and I promised to do my best to contact George for him. In the meanwhile he'll try to distract himself with different projects, as: finding Rodney and playing cupid for Uncle Vic and him, making Em&Vic's successful (I still think that the name lacks originality, but what can I do? It's their business), and working with Ted. The last one is something I really am interested in, after all I've already asked Ryder if he would offer Teddy a place in the company since our tax man is planning to retire soon. Ryder has no problem, but the difficult part is getting Ted to accept my offer. This Ted isn't the same one of the prophecy, the one who was secure of himself and took risks in his life. He also hates me because he thinks I am the one preventing him from getting the 'man of his dream'. So, Emmy Lou tries to raise his self-esteem and make him see I am not that much of an asshole, works in my advantage. I'll wait a bit more, at least until Steve's decision to retire is official, before having a serious conversation with him about his life. For now it's just a game of patients and waiting with what concerns Ted.

 

The girls, more specifically Lindsay, have been bothering the hell out of me about me giving them my sperm. I don't know how I didn't go insane before. Luckily they stopped when I arranged a lunch meeting with Mel today, after all I am planning on doing this right- not like my prophecy-self. I need to fix things between Melanie and I, also make sure that the girls are really ready for a baby. Cause in the prophecy they weren't, their relationship after all isn't as stable as they want everyone to think- as they themselves think. They have communication issues that I'll try to help them with, because such as Emmet and Drew, and Justin and I, they are meant for each other... they just click.

 

I really think I should stop spending so much time with Honeycutt, I am starting to sound like him! I complained in my head as I went downstairs to start preparing breakfast. As seeing the future didn't come with the miracle of me finally being able to cook, breakfast consisted on: two glasses of orange juice, a cup of warm milk for Hunter and black coffee for me, cereal for my son and two slices of toasted bread for myself.

 

"Good morning daddy!" my son greeted me, sitting on a chair by the table.

 

"Morning Hunter" I replied, planting a kiss on his temple and putting his breakfast in front of him, before sitting on the other side of the table "Did you have a good time yesterday?" I asked him.

 

"Yes! Auntie Em took me to the park and then invited me to have ice-cream! I even met a friend of yours, what was her name?... Ah! Yes, Mysterious Marilyn! She is nice" he answered.

 

"Yes, she is" I replied.

 

"What are we doing today daddy?" he questioned me, making me a bit nervous. I really didn't know how he would react.

 

"I am going back to the office Hunter, daddy can't work any longer at home. You are coming with me and you'll stay in the day care, until I can find you a good tutor to stay with you during the day while I am working" I told him.

 

He looked as if he was about to cry, nervously shifting on his seat without being able to look at me in the eyes. Until he finally spoke: "If I don't like the kids... or the adults in the day care... can I stay in your office? I promise I'll be quiet!"

 

"Of course you can! But only as long as you promise that you'll try to get along with them, and I mean really try" I warned him.

 

"Ok daddy!" he promised me with a big smile on his face, before getting back to his food. 

 

When we finished eating, I drove us to Ryder's Enterprise, it took me a bit of effort, but I was able to convince Hunter of staying in the day care. What finally convinced him is the fact that I gave him a phone from which, if anything bad happens, something that won't ocurre, he can call me immediately. After that I headed to my office, when I entered a lot of my employees stopped what they were doing to look at me. From the smiles in their faces it seems that the news of Hunter's adoption travelled fast. I didn't bother in snapping at them- as I would have normally done before meeting Justin- cause they soon went back to work. However, I always loyal Cynthia was in her own world. I was concerned when I saw her grim expression.

 

"What's bothering you Cynthia?" I went straight to the point, as soon as she closed the door of my office.

 

"N... nothing" she replied, but sighed when she noticed that I wouldn't drop the issue "Ah, Ryder is very angry... not at you of course! But at Michael and Debbie, and how they seem to think that his company is a play zone. They haven't stopped to call you, demanding to know why you are not answering and where you are. They even came here and barged into your office uninvited, ordering us around as if they had the right to treat us as their... slaves. Ryder is very unhappy by the leeway you give them. I think it can affect your career, as it may look as if you are not taking seriously your responsibilities" she finished, looking a bit nervous for my reaction. 

 

"They-did-what?!" I almost screamed angrily "Since when do they act like that?! I know that when I am here they can't get that no is a no, but what damn business do they have with Ryder's if I am not here?! Also, what right do they have to boss you around? That's something only me and Martin can do!" I was so angry at the fact that the reason I didn't make it partner in the prophecy wasn't only because of me, but also because those two idiots. Do they really believe that my career doesn't matter and that they have the right to affect it because of their whims?!

 

"Their answer is: 'We are Brian's family, if you don't treat us right we can make him fire you'. Most of the time is something like that" I just looked at her for a while with a blank face before answering.

 

"Cynthia I want you to block their numbers from the company's phone, tell the security team of Ryder's that they are banned from the building. So if they enter the building, they have to kick them out. I want you to get me two new phones: one for business and the other one for emergencies. I don't want to waste any more time with their empty whining. I'll go to Martin's office now, it seems that I have to make sure my promotions isn't affected by the stupid actions of my so called 'family'" with that said I left the office, leaving a shocked Cynthia behind, and headed to my boss' office.

 

"Brian, what brings you here so early?" he asked me surprised.

 

"An apology, I had no idea what Debbie and Michael were behaving. I already took measures to prevent it from happening ever again" I assured him, by his surprise expression he wasn't expecting this "I hope it doesn't affect me".

 

"Relax boy, I can't fault you for other mistakes. I am glad about this change Brian, you are back to be the same boy I met all those years back... I am glad. Especially since you seem to be more responsible and mature than ever, qualities that make an excellent partner" I tried not to seem too eager at his words "Since you are here, why don't you help me ut? As you know Ryder's Enterprise offers each year an internship for students, both high-schools and colleges can apply for any area of the company. I cannot decide between two of our contestants".

 

"Who is a better option?" I asked.

 

"The high school student" he answered at once "His school has applied him for a place since he's been in freshman year, he is now in junior year".

 

"That's very early, I deduce that you are not doubting choosing him because he is very young an inexperienced" I thought out loud "Do you know why did his school choose him?"

 

"That's easy, since freshman year has been taking AP courses and now that he is in junior, almost all his classes are AP level" he answered.

 

"So in summary he is kind of a genius" I commented.

 

"In a way, yes" he replied "He also has a gifted hand, his art profile is incredible. Since he joined the art club, his school has won every art competition they've been on. And some have come to call him the best young artist of the year, last year. If I end up choosing him for this year's internship he'll have enough credits to graduate one year earlier".  

 

"I think you should choose him, he might be young and inexperienced but someone that has achieved so much so early can't be immature. I think that whoever he is, he'll grow up into his abilities, and we also can get profit from him" I told Martin.

 

"Like what?" he questioned me,curiously.

 

"Easy, we get the new rising star in the art world. A young genius who'll be working for us. If you are curious about him, why do you think you are the only one? Think about how clients will act at seeing that we have such young talent, and if they've heard of him... then they'll be more than curious about seeing what kind of presentations we can do with him. Also, the art department needs a new pair of eyes. If I have to go down there one more time because someone messed up my boards... I won't be held responsible for what happens" my last comment made him laugh.

 

"Ok, then. I'll choose him" Martin decided "I trust you in this Brian".

 

"Who is he anyway?" I asked, curiously.

 

"Taylor, Justin Taylor."

-B&J-B&J-B&J-

THIS IS HOW THE LOFT WAS LEFT, AFTER THE REMODELING TOOK PLACE. IGNORE THE 'JACK AND JILL BATH' IN THE BATHROOM PART, IT WAS LIKE THAT WHEN I TOOK THE PICTURE FROM GOOGLE IMAGES. ALSO, BRIAN'S BEDROOM IS THE ONE THAT HAS THE WALK-IN CLOSET.