- Text Size +

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 20





July 5th and life was returning to normal.  Brian was up and out early, on his way to N’rgy.  The renovations were moving along rapidly, so rapidly that Brian had a feeling he would be able to take his brood home in a couple of weeks rather than the end of the month.  Which suited Brian just fine.  He knew that Gus wasn’t completely truthful last night but Brian wasn’t going to press the issue.  Gus came home and that was good enough...for now.  Brian intended to keep a close eye on Cole Adams.  With a kick-ass suit in a garment bag to change into later, Brian was ready to attack the day.

Justin left early as well so he could take advantage of the morning light in his studio.  He had his own kick-ass suit with him.

“Gamma, do we have anything special to do today?” Bree asked Joan as she blinked and yawned herself awake.  She had slept the whole cab ride back to the hotel and through the night.  The morning would soon be gone.

“No, Sweetheart, we have no special plans.  I’m rather tired from our outing yesterday.  I was thinking we’d spend a quiet day here.  Your Dada went to work and your Daddy went to his studio.  I believe Gus is still asleep.  Perhaps we’ll read some of our books.  You can draw pictures of the fireworks display for your reading group tomorrow.”

“Oh, that sounds like a good plan, Gamma,” Bree said with a brilliant smile.  “Can I stay in my pajamas?”

“I don’t see why not.  Let’s get washed up then check out what we have for breakfast.  If we don’t see anything interesting, we’ll call room service.”

“I like room service.”

“On lazy days like this one, I’d have to agree with you.  Room service comes in very handy.  Let’s go.”  Joan held out her hand for the child then led her to the bathroom.


*****


“Morning, sleepyhead, dream of me?” Cole drawled into his phone.

“Yeah, I did,” Gus whispered back into his own cell phone.

“Catch any heat from your old man?”

“Nah, they were asleep by the time I got back.”

“You like what we did last night?”  Cole asked low and sweet.

“Yeah, I was hard all night long just thinking about it,” Gus replied trying not to let his voice crack.

“Bet you’re hard now,” Cole purred.  “You alone?”

“Yeah, in my room.”  Gus was hard and he could feel himself leaking.

“Go ahead, play with yourself; I want to hear.  You have a beautiful cock.”

“Yeah?”  Gus knew his voice was cracking and he was breathing fast.

“Oh yeah, nice and long and you taste so sweet.  I can still taste you.”

“Oh god,” Gus panted.  He was pulling on himself, his copious amount of precum slicking up his hand.  “Cole, gonna...”

“That’s it, baby cakes, shoot that load for me.”

That’s all it took.  Gus came in buckets, dislodging the phone that was tucked under his chin.  He could hear Cole’s smug laughter as Cole cut the connection.  Gus would have to call him back later, much later, when he had a coherent brain cell in his head.  For now, a nap was in order.


*****


Precisely at one o’clock, Justin, dressed in a crisp linen suit that accentuated his assets, strolled into Daphne’s club.  The club was rather like an overpriced Bally’s that included an equally overpriced restaurant on the ground floor.  The maitre d’ immediately recognized the famous artist and escorted him over to the waiting ladies.  Summoning up all the cool calmness and confidence he had learned from Brian, Justin went willingly into the lioness’ den.

Tiffany was the first to greet Justin.

“Justin Taylor!” Tiffany said loudly and with the appropriate amount of sedate gush in her tone.  “So good of you to come.  Allow me to play hostess,” she added, noting Justin’s eyes darting around the table looking for Daphne.  “She’s in the ladies,” Tiffany leaned in close and whispered.  Justin did his best not to sneeze from her perfume.

“This is Gloria Rawlings; you met the other day at the Met.”  Justin shook hands with the tall blond woman whom he had indeed met at the museum.  She hadn’t introduced herself at the time.

“Mr. Taylor, I’m charmed.  And where is Mrs. Taylor?  I so wanted to meet the lucky girl who captured you,” Gloria drawled in a sickly sweet tone that made Justin want to gag.

“An appointment that ran late, you know how that is.  Soon though,” Justin said as generically as possible, as he shook her hand, trying not to scratch himself on her one inch nails.

“And this is June Davis.”  A buxom red-head shook Justin’s hand lightly as she thrust her cleavage at him.  He managed not to shudder.

“And Veronica Smythe.”  A petite woman with unnaturally blue-black hair stood to shake Justin’s hand, her skirt so short that it made Justin cringe.  He so did not want to see anything south of the border.

They all took their seats as the waiter came over.  “Apple Martinis?” Tiffany suggested.  The ladies all smiled.  “Fabulous!  Apple Martinis for all,” Tiffany ordered as they settled back to peruse their menus.  The waiter nodded his approval then went to fill their order.

Daphne hurried to join her party.  She had seen Justin come in, but the need to answer nature’s call outweighed her need to get to Justin.  She prayed that Justin wasn’t planning on rocking her little corner of the world.  When she returned to the table, Justin greeted her cordially but a little coolly.  Daphne sighed and resigned herself to her fate.  She just hoped she’d come out of it all with some dignity intact.

About an hour later, the first round of martinis were gone and they were all enjoying the Waldorf salad.  Justin was regaling the ladies on some of his exploits as an artist in training when he studied in New York.  He kept the conversation purposely light.  The ‘ladies’ all had a habit of interrupting so each could monopolize the conversation.  Justin was beginning to make a game out of it by starting off a topic then silently betting on which lady would take over as expert.  He caught a twinkle in Daphne’s eye; she knew what he was doing.  Smiling coyly, Justin thought maybe his childhood friend was not totally lost to him.

Brian got out of his cab and sauntered up to the building.  Dressed in a summer weight charcoal grey pinstriped suit, he reeked of success, elegance and a sensuality no man could match.  The doorman quickly opened the door and pointed Brian in the direction of the restaurant.

The maitre d’ who was quite an expert when it came to the who’s who of business and society (and of all things gay), recognized Brian Kinney.  He puffed himself up like a proud peacock and happily showed Brian to his party.

“Oh my!” Tiffany gasped as Brian approached slowly looking like a panther on the prowl.

“Ooo, I’d love some of that,” June purred, sitting up straighter and jutting out her bosom.          

Gloria and Veronica quickly checked their makeup reflecting in the cutlery.  Daphne prepared herself for the worst.

“Sweetheart, so sorry I’m late,” Brian drawled as he leaned down to plant a toe curling kiss on Justin’s lips, burying his strong fingers into Justin’s hair.  He released his spouse, smoothed down the golden mane then set his sights on Daphne.  Hard hazel eyes read Daphne’s plea for leniency in her own eyes.  Flicking his gaze back to his husband, Justin nodded.  “Daphne, as beautiful as ever,” Brian said without malice.  Then he leaned in to whisper in her ear, “I’d still do you.”  Daphne blushed.

Justin cleared his throat then stood to make the introductions.

“Ladies, allow me to introduce Brian Kinney-Taylor, my husband.  Brian, this is Tiffany.”

Brian leaned across the table to take Tiffany’s hand into his.  “As stunning as your name,” Brian murmured softly, kissing her hand and letting her get a good look at his diamond stud cufflinks.

“Mmm,” Tiffany purred back.

“Gloria Rawlings,” Justin continued.

Brian delicately took her hand, “Mrs. Rawlings, congratulations, that was quite a coup your husband made recently.”  Brian arched a brow, looking very much like the cutthroat businessman he was.

“Most people aren’t aware of my husband’s dealings,” Gloria stated slightly taken aback.

“I’m not most people,” Brian quipped then turned to the next lady who was about to spill out of her dress.

“Ms. June Davis,” Justin made the introduction.

Brian gently shook the red-head’s hand, hoping not to dislodge her breasts from the top of her dress.  “It’s true what they say, June is busting out all over.”  The ladies giggled as Brian got a poke to his ribs from Justin.

“And Veronica Smythe.”

Brian stopped himself from rolling his eyes but couldn’t stop the comment.  “Sunshine, you never told me they brought back the micro mini.”  After a pause, Brian took over the meeting, um, the lunch.  “Ladies, please allow me to get the next round.”  Brian waved his hand in the air.  Several waiters appeared with fluted glasses and two bottles of Cristal.  When everyone at the table had a full glass, Brian offered up a toast.  “To the ladies who lunch!” Brian said sweetly raising his glass.

“The ladies who lunch,” the table repeated then they all clinked glasses.  Brian threw a wink at Daphne who smiled like the seventeen year old Brian remembered.

As the Cristal flowed, the ladies mellowed.   Daphne and Justin began to lean in closer and closer to share secrets.  Brian smiled smugly as he grabbed Justin’s left hand to toy with the wedding ring on Justin’s finger.  Justin squeezed Brian’s hand then flashed him his sunniest smile.  As Brian pretended to be engrossed in what Gloria was saying, he knew the afternoon would all turn out right.  Even if Daphne and Justin never saw each other again, Justin would have his best friend back for at least this one afternoon.


*****


“Gamma, where’s Gus?” Bree asked.  She was curled up next to Joan on the sofa.  They had just finished one of the books they brought from the library.

“I believe he’s still in his room.”

“He’s a big sleepyhead.”

Joan chuckled.  “Yes, I guess he is.”

“I go wake him up,” Bree said squirming to the edge of the sofa.

Joan grabbed her hand.  “I think you should let him sleep, dear.”

“But why?  I want to talk to him.”

“He was up late last night.”

“Oh,” Bree replied.  “Was he with that guy?”

“You mean Cole?”

“Yeah,” Bree said making a face.  “I don’t like Cole.”

“You shouldn’t make hasty judgments, dear,” Joan said softly, remembering all the hasty judgments of her own that she had made over the years.

“What’s a judgment?”

“It’s when you decide something about someone without all the facts.”

“But I have the facts,” Bree declared.  “Cole doesn’t like me and I don’t like him.”

“How do you know he doesn’t like you, Bree?”

“I just know.”  Bree crossed her arms over her chest and pouted.

Joan knew there was little point in arguing with her.  “Why don’t we read another book while we wait for Gus to wake up?”

“’Kay,” Bree said settling back on the sofa.  She would have a talk with her brother later.


*****


Melanie stretched and rolled over.  The bed was empty.  She quickly got up and went downstairs to find Lindsay.

“You finally got up, Mama,” JR told her as she entered the kitchen.

“Yes, I guess I was more tired than I knew,” Melanie replied as she poured herself a cup of coffee.  “Something smells good.”

“I’m making pancakes and bacon,” Lindsay said as she flipped the pancakes.  “These are ready if you want to get the others and the bacon out of the oven.

Melanie was happy to oblige.  Her stomach was screaming for food.  “This looks great,” Mel observed as she sat down at the kitchen table with her family.

“Mom is a good cook,” JR stated.

“Yes, she is,” Melanie agreed.  She looked at Lindsay who seemed to be avoiding her eyes.  “Is everything all right, Lindz?”

“Yes, of course,” Lindsay said quickly.

“Are you tired from all the parties yesterday?”

“A little,” Lindsay admitted.

“That was a lot of fun at Deb’s,” Melanie offered.

“I had a good time,” Lindsay admitted.

“Me too,” JR supplied.

“Better than my party,” Melanie sighed.

JR didn’t know how to answer that, even though she knew she had had a much better time at her Grandma Deb’s.  So she kept quiet.

“Mel…” Lindsay began then abruptly shut her mouth.  She stared at her plate of pancakes and then began cutting them up.  She didn’t know what to say either.  She had so many things she wanted to say, but she knew they would lead to a fight.  That was the last thing she wanted.

“Would you just say it!” Melanie demanded.  Her interest in the pancakes had suddenly disappeared.

“Mel,” Lindsay started again.  She drew in a long breath.  “I had a good time at Deb’s, and I would have had a good time at your party too, if things were different.”

“Different?” Melanie asked raising an eyebrow.

“I … I wish you had thought the party out a little better.  It was no place for JR with all the adults, your business associates and people you were trying to impress.”

“JR wanted to be here,” Melanie declared.

“I did, Mama, but I didn’t know it was going to be that kind of party,” JR said gently.  She didn’t want to make her Mama mad.  “I thought it was going to be a party…party.”

“You mean a party like Bree’s, don’t you?” Mel asked with ice in her voice.

“No, Mama.  That was Bree’s birthday.  I just thought there’d be some games or … something.”


“It wasn’t that kind of party,” Melanie responded.

“My point exactly,” Lindsay added.  “We should never have had JR and Curtis there.  It was good of Michael to take them to the diner.”

“I had fun at the diner,” JR told them with a smile.

“And no fun at my party,” Melanie sighed.

“Sorry, Mama.”

“It’s not your fault, sweetheart,” Lindsay told her.  “We should have realized that it wasn’t a party for children.”

“Do you think the adults had a good time?” Melanie asked with a look of alarm on her face.

“They all said they did, except for Michael and Ted.”

“I didn’t want to invite them in the first place,” Mel retorted.

“You didn’t want to invite daddy?” JR asked her eyes getting very big.

“I … I didn’t think he’d have a very good time,” Melanie tried to explain.

“We should have had a different kind of party or maybe have a cocktail party for your associates and contacts,” Lindsay said.  “Mixing them with family wasn’t such a great idea.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Melanie admitted.  “I was so busy trying to put on a big show, I forgot about the purpose of the party and whether the guests would enjoy it.”

“Thank God,” Lindsay sighed.

“What?”

“You finally got it.”

“Yeah, I guess I did.  But why didn’t you tell me?”

Lindsay stared at her.  “How many times did I tell you things about this party and you refused to listen?” she demanded.

“Well, maybe a few.  I did invite Michael.”

“Yeah, and he was here to rescue the children,” Lindsay said rather uncharitably.

JR giggled and then sat up straight wiping the smile off her face when her mother glared at her.

“Maybe we could have a party for the family sometime,” Melanie suggested.

“That would be nice,” Lindsay agreed as she took a bite of bacon.

“I’d like that, Mama,” JR contributed.

“Maybe for your birthday.”

“And it wouldn’t have to be like Bree’s,” JR said quickly.  She knew that her mother didn’t like the big party Bree had had.

“Thanks, sweetie.  I don’t think I could pull off something like that anyway.”

“That’s okay, Mama.  I’ll love whatever you do.”

Melanie looked at her wise little daughter.  “Have I told you lately how much I love you?”

JR’s face lit up in a beautiful smile.  “I love you too, Mama.”

“Add me to that list,” Lindsay said with her own radiant smile.

“Now that we’ve got that all settled, let’s enjoy this lovely brunch,” Melanie said with her own grin.  She felt much better about her party now, and she filed away for future consideration the things she had just learned.  The pancakes and bacon were suddenly very delicious.


*****


Lunch with the ladies took up most of the afternoon; however, very little actual food was consumed leaving the boys rather hungry by the time they got back to the hotel.  Finding everyone home, the guys changed then ordered up a feast from room service.  The rest of the evening was spent quietly with the Kinney-Taylor family enjoying each other’s company.