- Text Size +

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 21





“Brian, the renovation plans are moving very quickly,” Stacey commented sometime the following week.

Since the tenant had moved out early and relinquished his key, a construction crew had been working nearly non-stop on the renovations of Simon’s real estate office and N’rgy. Simon and his assistant were already moved and it was business as usual. The original door that had once connected the office occupied by N’rgy and Simon’s old office was discovered and restored to its former purpose. Even though Simon and Ken had kept the original turn of the century facade of the outside of their building, the hallways and doors, the inner workings of the N’rgy office were kept as slick and modern as Kinnetik’s ideas.

“Your point?” Brian grumbled as he peered over his computer screen at Stacey.

“My point is that you can go home. You’ve done what you set out to do and I don’t need you under foot anymore. You’re beginning to scare the workmen,” Stacey snarked.

“You were always a pushy bitch,” Brian murmured.

“Yeah, well I learned from the best.” Stacey gave as good as she got. She got the eyebrow then a beautiful Brian Kinney smile. Stacey giggled like a school girl with a crush on her teacher then walked to a closet to retrieve a small bucket. “I have weeds to pull,” she stated as she walked out the door.

About an hour later, Brian joined her.

“You really think you’ve got this executive shit all figured out, don’t you?” Brian asked as he sat on a step that led to the small container garden that Stacey had developed and nurtured just outside the large bay window of the new N’rgy. She had removed her silk blouse leaving just a sleeveless t-shirt. Her hair was pinned up out of the way. She was currently training and securing a blooming vine to the wrought iron fence that surrounded the garden.

“No,” Stacey replied as she stood up to gratefully accept a bottle of water from Brian. “But I know I’m good at what I do or you wouldn’t have stolen me away from Kennedy and Collins. I love my job, I love the hunt, the preparation, the stress of it all and the rewards. I love that N’rgy is innovative and always reinventing itself. I love that I have the expertise of the other branches and of Perspectives at my fingertips. And that any one of you would drop everything if I called to say I needed help. But you’ve done your job. You’ve secured several more high end accounts from companies that wanted that little extra something only Brian Kinney could provide. You’ve growled and scowled at the construction crew ensuring the highest quality results in the least amount of time. You’ve helped me choose several promising execs and artists. Now amscray so I can do my job in peace!”

“I’m hurt, crushed, thrown away like a used condom,” Brian stated dramatically with his hand over his heart. Stacey put down her water bottle to clap her hands.

“An award winning performance, Mr. Kinney, one worthy of Emmett. Now what do you do for an encore?”

“I pack up my shit, do a little more sight-seeing with my family then amscray back to the Pitts where I belong. I told you about John’s Village project?” Stacey nodded. “Emmett and Drew are each opening their own businesses. And my mother will be assisting in a new rare book store. And then there’s a certain princess who’s been bugging me for riding lessons.”

“Sounds like a very busy agenda. Kinnetik doing the publicity for the Village?”

“Yup. Cynthia and Ted have a handle on it,” Brian said proudly.

“Then I won’t keep you.” As Brian stood to go back inside to pack up, Stacey called out to him. “You know I appreciate these last few weeks. You’ve been invaluable to me.”

“I know,” Brian smirked then went inside.

*****

“Cole, I think I’m going home soon,” Gus said sadly. He and Cole were cuddling in a secluded portion of Central Park. It was a quiet haven for young lovers. They had just sucked each other off and were sated for the moment.

“What makes you say that,” Cole growled. This was not fitting into his plans. Somehow he still had to ingratiate himself into the Kinney family to see what it would get him. Gus leaving New York would just not do.

“My Pop wants to go home and the renovation of N’rgy is almost done. There’s no reason for us to stay.”

“Think your father will let you stay behind?” Gus raised his head up from the boulder he was using as a pillow to look at Cole’s face.

“Are you shitting me? Even if he remotely would consider giving me permission, my moms would freak and say no.”

“I thought you were eighteen, that’s legal. And legal does as legal wants.”

“I, uh,” Gus stammered.

Cole knew Gus was younger but wanted to make him sweat a little. “Just how old are you?”

“Sixteen,” Gus mumbled.

“What? I didn’t catch that.”

“Sixteen but I’ll be seventeen in less than two months,” Gus said quickly.

“Shit! I can get in trouble.” Cole feigned a sudden responsibility. “Maybe even arrested.”

“No one has to know. Besides, it’s not like we’re fu-u,” Gus still had trouble saying the ‘f’ word when it came to describing sex. “I’m going to miss you,” Gus said trying to change the subject.

“I’ll miss you too, baby cakes,” Cole said softly, appearing to be in deep contemplation. After some intense kissing and heavy petting, Cole offered a suggestion. “I have a cousin that lives in Pittsburgh, that is where you’re from, right?” Cole asked as if he was unsure.

“Yeah,” Gus cheerfully replied.

“Maybe I could arrange a visit.”

“What about your folks and your job?”

“My parents won’t give shit, and hell, I got vacation time I gotta take. You know, if you don’t use it, you’re gonna lose it.” Cole kept his bullshit thick.

“Yeah,” Gus said innocently. “You could meet my moms and my other sister and Grandma Deb...”

“Whoa, slow down. I’m coming to Pittsburgh to be with you, not to play with more little girls. You want me there or what?” Cole threatened.

“Of course I do!”

“You think you can help me with the money for a plane ticket?” Cole asked as sweetly as he could. Gus thought of the allowance his dad and his mother had given him to last the time he was on vacation.

“No, but maybe I can help with a bus ticket,” Gus said hopefully. Cole did his best not to curse.

“Okay, baby cakes, every little bit helps.” Cole rolled them over so that the taller Gus could lay on top of him. Cole liked to top but Gus looked so much like his father that he fantasized that it was the elder Kinney on top. Cole knew that Brian couldn’t possibly be a bottom.

With just their pants opened up and their shirts hitched up, the boys engaged in frottage to get themselves off. Cole’s hands were on Gus’ ass pushing him down harder. Gus was trying to examine Cole’s tonsils with his tongue. They both came hard.

“Just think how good it’s going to be when we’re both naked and in a bed,” Cole purred when they were able to breathe. ‘And maybe I’ll get Brian Kinney into that bed too,’ he thought.

*****

“What’s up, Curtis?” Raph asked as they sat down to dinner. “You’ve been very quiet since Melanie’s party.”

“Nothing’s up,” Curtis replied as he started to shove the salad around his plate. His eyes were glued to what he was doing.

Raph studied the boy for a moment. He had learned quickly that Curtis got very silent and withdrawn when things weren’t going the way he wanted. Curtis avoided eye contact at all costs. Raph had hoped that they had gotten beyond that kind of reaction, but maybe he was hoping for too much too soon. “I can tell something’s bothering you,” he said gently. “Why don’t you just tell me?”

“It’s stupid,” Curtis mumbled.

“If it’s troubling you, it’s not stupid,” Hector said. He glanced at Raph who gave him a nod to continue. “Both Raph and I want to help you if there’s anything that we can do.”

Curtis looked up then, into troubled eyes from both Raph and Hector. He had never seen that look from anyone since his grandfather died. “I didn’t mean to worry you,” Curtis said. “It’s really stupid.”

“We want to know,” Raph stated trying to encourage Curtis to talk it out.

“It’s about the party,” Curtis said reluctantly.

“Go ahead.”

“It … I …” Curtis began but didn’t know how to continue.

“You can tell us anything,” Raph encouraged him.

“I didn’t belong there. Maybe I don’t belong with you guys either,” Curtis blurted out.

“What?” Raph reacted. “You thought you didn’t belong?” He couldn’t help but chuckle.

“It’s not funny,” Curtis stated growing angry that Raph was laughing at him.

“It’s funny when you realize that I thought the same thing,” Raph laughed.

“What? That I didn’t belong?” Curtis asked with a hurt look in his eyes. He had just had his worst fears confirmed. He didn’t belong at the party and he didn’t belong in this nice home either. He knew it was all too good to be true.

“No, no,” Raph said quickly. “I meant that I didn’t belong there either.”

“You didn’t belong at the party?” Curtis asked with a look of confusion.

“No, I didn’t. I don’t know why Melanie invited me, other than that I have some letters after my name. I think she was trying to impress someone, but I’m not sure who.”

“Then why did she invite me?” Curtis asked.

“You’re part of us now,” Hector said. “I probably would never have been invited either, except that I’m Raph’s partner … and now you’re our foster son. Therefore, you got an invite.”

“Oh!” Curtis reacted. “I liked it much better at the diner.”

“Too bad we couldn’t have joined you,” Hector laughed.

“Michael’s okay. He has a comic book store,” Curtis explained. “He said I could come by some time if I wanted. Would that be all right?”

“I think that would be just fine,” Raph said happily. He could feel that things were starting to get back on an even keel.

“Great,” Curtis said as he took a bite of his salad. Suddenly he felt like eating.

“That’s something else I’ve been meaning to raise with you, Curtis,” Raph continued.

“What’s that?”

“You’ve paid off all your debts. I think it’s time we instituted an allowance for you. Then if you want to go to the comic store, you’ll have some money you can spend there.”

“You … you mean money of my own … that I can spend however I want?”

“That’s exactly what we mean,” Hector said with a big smile.

“That would be great,” Curtis replied enthusiastically.

“Good, then when we’re through eating, let’s talk about a fair sum,” Raph said.

“Anything you want to give me will be fine,” Curtis said quickly. He could hardly believe they were going to give him any money at all. He didn’t want to press his luck.

“You need to learn about the fine art of negotiation,” Raph told him with a gentle laugh. “I think it’s time I started teaching you about that too.”

”Okay,” Curtis agreed quickly. He couldn’t believe his good fortune.

Raph and Hector smiled at each other across the table.

*****

Justin tidied up his work space having finished off a painting just a few minutes before. It was Bree at the beach at Coney Island. He smiled as he glanced over at it. The beach was a perfect theme for summer, and Bree had been so cute chasing the waves in and out. He hadn’t expected to find inspiration for a painting while they were in New York, but this was now one of his favorites. He was tempted to keep it for himself, but he often felt that way about paintings of Brian and Bree and Gus and his mother and... Justin sighed. He needed to learn to let them go.

Justin finished cleaning his brushes. He stowed them safely away and turned to dump the can of dirty cleaning fluid. Before he could do that, there was a knock on his door. He frowned wondering who it could be. Hardly anyone knew he was there. He was careful to keep the door locked while he worked. The only who had been to his studio was Bree. He had painted with her once since they had come to N’York as she liked to call it. Justin smiled, when another knock at the door brought him out of his reverie.

“Who is it?” Justin called out, a little apprehensive about who might be there.

“The big bad wolf!”

“Oh my,” Justin gasped.

“Let me in or I’ll blow this door down.”

“Wouldn’t you rather blow me?” Justin called out, a big smile brightening his face as he realized who was outside the door.

“I would if you’d open this fucking door.”

Justin sauntered over to the door and released the lock. He pulled it open. “Promises, promises,” he chuckled as Brian swept him up into his arms and kissed all over his face. “What’s got into you?” Justin asked as Brian finally set him down.

“How would you like to go home day after tomorrow?”

“I thought you still had a lot to do.”

“It’s mostly done, and Stacey is perfectly capable of handling the rest of it … as she so bluntly informed me today.”

“Told you to get lost, did she?” Justin laughed.

“Pretty much. So, what do you say? Ready to go home?”

“If you are, I’m good to go.”

“I wonder if Joan and Bree will be ready to leave.”

“I don’t think you have to worry about them. It’s Gus that may put up a fight.”

Brian frowned. “Fucking Cole Adams! I don’t trust that little fucker. Something doesn’t ring true.”

“Then maybe it’s a good thing we’re leaving,” Justin said.

“Yeah, I guess. Gus is not going to be happy.”

“You sort of hinted that things were ahead of schedule. I think Gus is smart enough to figure out that we might be leaving soon.”

“I don’t think he was counting on day after tomorrow,” Brian said shaking his head.

“Can we get ready to leave by then?” Justin asked.

“I think so. Hey, that’s a great painting of Bree,” Brian commented as he noticed Justin’s work for the first time.

“Thanks,” Justin replied with a big smile. “I kind of like it too. I was thinking about keeping it.”

“I think that’s a great idea. I love the light you captured in it, and the way Bree looks so little against the water.”

Justin smiled. Brian didn’t give compliments for nothing. What he had just said was absolutely true. Those were the things that Justin loved about the painting too. This one was a definite keeper. “Then all we need to do is find a place to hang it at the cottage.”

“Or the loft,” Brian said thoughtfully.

“The loft?”

“Yeah, I was thinking that I didn’t have a really good picture of Bree there.”

“You were, huh?”

“Yep.”

“So where would you hang it? Beside the naked man?”

“No,” Brian said shaking his head. “I was thinking of placing it in the alcove over the chaise.”

Justin smiled, a fleeting memory of ice cream kisses passing through his head. “I could live with that.”

“Good. Do I have to pay for your services?” Brian asked with a smirk.

“I seem to remember something about blowing me, when you so rudely interrupted my work.”

Brian grinned. “Looks to me like you were finished, and I’m up for a little gratuitous sex.”

“You always are,” Justin giggled.

“Is that a bad thing?” Brian frowned.

“Not at all. Why do you think I’ve kept you around all these years?”

“Because of my great bod and my beautiful cock.”

“True, but there’s also your gigantic heart.”

“Ah, you mean the one I didn’t know I had until you helped me find it?” Brian asked with that crooked little smile that melted Justin’s own heart.

“That would be the one.”

“Only you noticed that I had a fucking heart,” Brian said with a tinge of regret in his voice.

“You were very good at telling everyone what a heartless bastard you were, and they believed all your hype.”

“But you didn’t.”

“Not a word, although that night I came to your loft and you told me you believed in fucking not love, you almost convinced me.”

“Hm, I did, didn’t I? I meant every word. Why weren’t you buying it?”

“I looked in the rearview mirror as I drove away. Even through my tears I could see the look of uncertainty on your face. You just stood there watching me drive away. Somehow I knew that if you didn’t really care about me, you would have walked right back inside to Mr. Goodfuck, or whatever the fuck his name was. But you didn’t, you just stood there, and you looked as forlorn as I felt. I wanted you more than ever.”

“So, that was my big mistake,” Brian said, earning a swat to the chest from Justin.

“Yeah, some mistake!”

“Best one I ever made,” Brian said pulling Justin against him. “Now what were you saying about a blowjob?”