- Text Size +


Part 5



After Justin’s testimony, there wasn’t much left to do but give closing arguments.  While technically Justin should have had custody of the children and the Andersons should have had to prove his unfitness, in reality, Doug knew that the only way to win without going to the appellate court was to crucify the Andersons in front of the world.  Luckily, they made that easy to do, since they were such awful people.  Now the only question was whether Judge Martin Walker was willing to ruin his already shaky career to help out his witch of a cousin, or would he sell her out to try and save his own ass.



Like rats on a sinking ship, Walker scrambled over the bodies of his family to save himself.



“While I hate to do this to two such wonderful people,” Walker said, kissing Esther’s ass even as he stabbed her in the back, “the law is clear in this case.  The contract that was signed by John Anderson, Daphne Anderson and Justin Taylor takes precedent over any claim that the Andersons might have.  Without definitive proof that Mr. Taylor is unfit, I have no choice but to award custody of Alexander and Robert Anderson to Justin Taylor.”



There was much cheering from the streets, but Doug was on his feet to make one last request and dig the knife a little deeper.



“Your honor,” Doug said.  “As biological father and legal guardian of Alexander and Robert Anderson, Justin Taylor would like to petition this court to change their last names to Taylor…”  Justin tugged at Doug’s sleeve and the lawyer leaned over and listened to Justin.  “You’re sure?”  Justin nodded.  “Correction.  He would like to petition the courts to change their names to Kinney.”



Walker growled but agreed.  “Petition granted pending the proper paperwork being submitted to the county records.  Court is adjourned.”



Walker practically ran from the room, while Esther and Andrew seethed.  Justin could tell that there would be a lot of discussion over the case in the coming days among their clan of thieves.  But that didn’t really matter to him.  He turned to Brian and kissed him long and hard.  “We won!”



“We did,” Brian agreed with a smile.  “Kinney huh?”



Justin laughed sheepishly.  “I was thinking that I might want to take your name when we get married, though I’ll still have to use Taylor for my art.  And also, the boys would have a tangible connection with you.”



“You could have waited until I adopt them,” Brian said and Justin kissed him hard for that out-of-the-blue statement.  With one sentence Brian was able to ease any lingering doubts Justin might have about Brian wanting the twins.



When they came up for breath, Justin continued as though there had been no interruption, “Then I would have had to change their names twice.”



“That is a lot of extra paperwork,” Brian agreed facetiously.  “So, when are you going to make me an honest man?”



“I don’t think that’s possible,” Justin teased.  “Oh!  You mean the wedding?  Well, we have to pack up the house and everything…”



“A week from Saturday.  No later,” Brian said.  “And everything else will be ready to go by then if I have to pay double to get it done.  I plan on having our honeymoon at Britin.  Think your mom will forgive you enough to take the twins for a few nights?”



“God I hope so,” Justin murmured.  Then they were kissing again.  When they came up for air, it was to find that the camera man was aiming the camera at them, presumably catching their entire exchange and broadcasting it to fuck knows where.  And the photographer was there beside him, taking shots of them for the papers.



“They’re very persistent.  I think we should hire them to record our wedding,” Justin said with a laugh.



“I’ll do that,” Brian said.  “But first, you and I have two boys to get so we can celebrate.”



“They’re ours, aren’t they?”  Justin asked with a watery smile.  “No one’s going to take them away ever again?”



“Never,” Brian said.



BJBJBJBJBJ



The picture of Brian and Justin embracing after the victory was on every television station across the country in minutes.  The couple was bombarded by questions as they left the courthouse, but Justin gave everyone a short but eloquent speech about how grateful they were for everyone’s support and how happy they were to be able to know that their boys would be safe and happy. Then he flashed them his best smile and that was sent out across the nation as well.



Brian’s phone, the only one that their friends and family had, began ringing almost as soon as they left the courthouse.  He ignored Michael and Debbie’s calls, but when the caller ID came up as Jennifer, Brian took the call and handed the phone to Justin before turning back to driving them home.



“Mom?”



“Justin sweetie, why didn’t you tell me what was going on?” Jennifer asked.  “I would have been there to help.”



“For the same reason I didn’t tell Brian,” Justin sighed.  “Because I didn’t want you to drop everything to come save me.”



“Well, I’m glad Brian was there in the end,” Jennifer said.  “Even if I couldn’t be.”



“I don’t think I would have stood a chance if he hadn’t shown up,” Justin said ruefully and smiled over at Brian.  “He’s the one who got the gay rights groups up here and he brought Doug, our lawyer.  He’s done so much.”



“Yeah,” Jennifer said.  “I saw.”



Justin paused.  “Just how much did you see?”



“Well, the story built up over the last couple days on the national news,” Jennifer said.  “But none of the national stations were covering the whole thing.  So Molly hooked up the computer to the television somehow and we were all able to watch the whole thing.  They showed everything from beginning to end.  How do you think we knew when you had left the courthouse and could answer our calls?”



“Who is we?” Justin said with some trepidation.  He was not ready to face telling Brian that their private moments had been sent out over the internet.



“Debbie, Michael and Ben, Ted and his friend, Emmett, Molly and me,” Jennifer said.  “We all took the day off to watch.”



Justin closed his eyes and sighed.  “Listen Mom, can I call you back in a few minutes?  We’re almost home and I need to tell Brian what you just told me where the boys won’t hear him swearing.”



Jennifer laughed.  “Alright Honey.  But you had better actually call me.”



“I will.”  He disconnected the call and sighed.  “Um…”



“Spill,” Brian said.  “What exactly is going to make me swear?”



“The whole gang took the day off to watch the hearing at my mother’s house,” Justin said.  “Molly connected the TV to the computer and they watched the streaming video that was broadcast.  They saw everything from the moment we walked into the courtroom until the moment we left.”



“Shit,” Brian muttered as he parked his car behind the van in the drive and shut off the engine.  “I have one sappy moment in my whole fucking life and they have to catch it on video and make sure everyone I know sees it.  This is your fault.”



“Mine?” Justin asked with amusement.  “How do you figure?”



“You make me say those things,” Brian said.  “I would never say them to anyone else.  So it must be your fault.”



“Right.”  Justin’s grin was infectious and Brian had to bite his lips to keep from returning it.  “Ready to go face the terrible twosome?”



“Ready.”



BJBJBJBJBJ



“Gamma!”  Alex and Robbie were excited to be allowed to talk to their ‘Gamma’ on the speakerphone, so as soon as she said hello, they were shouting in her ear.  “Picture Gamma!”



“No picture Gamma,” Alex told Robbie.  “Pone Gamma.”



“Pone Gamma.” Robbie said with a nod.



“Well hello,” Jennifer said.  “Is that Robbie and Alex?”



“Is us, Gamma,” Robbie said.



“N’ Daddy ‘n Daddy’s Brian,” Alex clarified.



Jennifer could hear Brian groan at that.  “We have got to do something about that, Justin.”



“I’ve tried,” Justin chuckled.  “They’re stubborn.”



“We see Gamma soooon,” Alex said very seriously.



“Daddy’s Brian say so,” Robbie said as though Brian’s word was law.



Jennifer laughed.  “I can’t wait to see you both in person.  I have hugs and kisses saved up just for you.”



“Wow,” Alex said.  He was trying to figure out how you saved hugs and kisses.  He’d like to save some of his Daddy’s hugs.  Maybe he’d ask later.



“By Gamma!” Robbie said.  He slid from Justin’s lap and grabbed Alex’s hand.



“Bye Gamma,” Alex said as he slid from Brian’s lap and then the two were running to their play room.



“Wow,” Jennifer said.  “I…”



“They’re a bit much to take in all at once,” Justin said sympathetically.



“No that’s not it,” Jennifer said and Justin could hear tears in her voice.  “I just… never expected that…”



“I know mom,” Justin said.  He shut the speakerphone off and picked up the phone while Brian followed the twins to their play room.  “I’m sorry you missed out on almost two years.”



“I am too,” Jennifer said.  “But what you did for Daphne was a wonderful thing.  And I’m so happy that they’ll be coming home with you.  That woman seemed like a horrible person.”



“That’s an understatement,” Justin sighed.  “Alex won’t talk much about the times they were over there, but Robbie always gave me a full report.  She was mean, and she scared them, but she never physically hurt them.  If she had, there’s no way I would have let them go back and I think they knew that.  As it was, I worried every time she took them away.”



“Well that’s over now,” Jennifer said. “Now you and Brian can bring my babies home so they can meet their Gamma.”



“They’re dying to meet everyone,” Justin admitted.  “I show them pictures of everyone and they talk to the pictures like they are their friends.  They loved Brian right away.”



“Well, I just hope they love me as much,” Jennifer said.  “You better be prepared.  Those boys are going to be spoiled rotten.”



Justin laughed.  “If not by you, then by Brian.  He’s already contracted with a company to have the biggest play-set that he can find online built in our back yard at Britin.  Then again, he’s also having a fence added around the pool, so it’s not all bad.”



Jennifer laughed.  “Listen I have to go.  Will you call again?”



“Check your caller ID,” Justin said.  “I didn’t block my number this time.  You can call the house whenever you want.  Just don’t be surprised if you get Robbie or Alex and they hang up on you.  That’s their latest trick.”



“I won’t mind if they do,” Jennifer said sincerely.



BJBJBJBJBJ



“I don’t see what’s wrong with my minivan,” Justin said as Brian drove the four of them north to Burlington.  “It has done just fine for the past six months.  There’s nothing mechanically wrong with it and it doesn’t have any major body damage.  And it gets us around town.”



Brian, who was currently driving said minivan, glared at his lover.  “Justin, I refuse to be seen in this monstrosity by anyone who actually knows me.  It’s bad enough that strangers see this.  We’re going to be married and there will be times, like now, when I have to drive you and the boys around. I will not do that in a minivan, used or otherwise.  It just isn’t going to happen.”



When they pulled into a Mercedes dealer, Justin wasn’t at all surprised.  They walked through the lot, each of them holding a toddler, with a salesman following behind them for half an hour as they argued over the merits of the G Class versus the GL class.



“The GL has seating for seven,” Justin said.



“And when are we ever going to need seating for seven?” Brian asked.  “Besides, the G class has more room for all the shi-stuff you have to haul around.”



“You mean my paintings?” Justin asked acerbically.  “It’s boxy and green.”



“It looks just like the jeep only bigger,” Brian countered.  “Didn’t you like the jeep?  And it’s dark green, which is manly.”



Justin rolled his eyes.  The G class was also more expensive, which Justin was sure was part of the appeal to Brian.  “Fine.  We’ll take it for a test drive.”



The salesman ran to get keys and Brian and Justin got the boys’ car seats from the minivan.  Once the seats were installed and the boys buckled in, Brian got behind the wheel.



“I thought this was supposed to be for me?” Justin said wryly.



Brian grinned at him.  “It is.  You’ll get a turn.”  Justin shook his head and climbed in the back with the boys and they were off.  Justin had to admit that there was plenty of room in the back, even with two car seats.



“New ban?” Alex asked while Robbie looked out the window.



“Maybe,” Justin said.



“Not a van,” Brian corrected.  “It’s an SUV.”



“Ess… Oooo… Beee,” Alex struggled to repeat.



“How about truck,” Justin said. “We can call it a truck, right?”



“Sure Sunshine,” Brian said.  “As long as we don’t call it a van.”



“Trruuck,” Alex tried out.  “Truck.  Truck, truck, truck.”



“Truck!” Robbie sang along with his brother in a discordant and spontaneous song that only toddlers could enjoy.



“Great,” Brian groaned.  “Look boys, television!”



With a few words to the voice command, a DVD was playing on the screen for the boys who were fascinated.  They had never seen TV in a car before.  So even though it was a fifteen minute video about the features on the G class, they watched raptly.  Brian was quick to point out that there was a 6 DVD changer, so they wouldn’t have to search for DVDs constantly.  And with the headphones for the boys, the adults could listen to their music files while the boys watched Sesame Street.



They pulled over and Brian reluctantly let Justin take the wheel while he sat in back with the boys.  “The voice command can control all of the features,” Brian told Justin.  “And that includes the navigation, the stereo, the video, the phone…you can even program call lists.  And it’s really safe.”



“You’ve done a bit of research, haven’t you?” Justin asked.  Just then, the sky opened up and it began to rain.  Justin switched the wipers on but before he could even think about adjusting the wiper speed, they adjusted automatically.  “What the...?”



“The wipers sense the rain,” the salesman said.  “And they adjust accordingly.  The windshield has electric heating, so you won’t have to climb up the side of the ‘truck’ to scrape your windshield in the winter anymore.  Plus the seats are climate controlled and the steering wheel is heated.  That really helps in the cold winters around here.”



“We’re from Pittsburgh,” Brian corrected the man.  “But we have cold winters there too.  Just not as much snow.”



Justin hated to admit it, but the SUV was really great, and it had several cool features that weren’t available on the GL class.  He’d thought it would drive like a tank, but it actually was really easy to handle, and had great pick up on the highway.  It handled the hills easily.  And Mercedes made some of the safest cars on the road, which was important to him as a father.  Plus it would make Brian happy.



“Alright, you’ve sold me,” Justin said as he turned the SUV into the dealership.



“You hear that boys?  This is our new truck!” Brian said.  Of course, this started the discordant if cheerful truck song all over again.