THE SMACKDOWN by Frosty70
Summary:

Michael and Justin have an argument in the diner, which Brian overhears and causes him to make some much-needed changes. Justin showed his appreciation.

My beta is BritinManor


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Michael Novotny, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: None
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 8923 Read: 25541 Published: Jan 15, 2020 Updated: Jul 23, 2020

Story Notes:

Story requested by Claire Paddon. I hope you like it.

1. Chapter 1 by Frosty70

2. Chapter 2 by Frosty70

3. Chapter 3 by Frosty70

4. Chapter 4 by Frosty70

5. Chapter 5 by Frosty70

6. Chapter 6 by Frosty70

7. Chapter 7 by Frosty70

Chapter 1 by Frosty70
1.

Brian needed to pick up a file at Kinnetik to go over for an early meeting on Monday morning. Justin had him drop him off at the diner. He planned on having a cup of coffee and ordering breakfast for him and Brian to go. Brian gave Justin a few kisses and said he would be right back to get him.

On entering the diner, Michael, having seen the kisses they shared, started in on Justin.

“I don’t know why you don’t get lost! You’re just a trick that doesn’t know that he’s not wanted! He’s my friend, not yours! No matter what I do, you never leave!!”

“You know, Michael, Brian is a grown man. He’s old enough to make his own decisions. He doesn’t need you to tell him what to do. After all, he always says he doesn’t do anything he doesn’t want to do.”

He grabs up the breakfast order, and turns to leave when he sees Brian standing there.

“I’ll leave your breakfast in the fridge at the loft. I’m fed up with Michael running his mouth at me. You just stand there and let him. You made room for me in your drawers and closet. I think it’s time you got some balls. Let me know when you find them.”

With that, he leaves the diner. Michael starts in on Brian about Justin.

“Good, he’s leaving you. It’s about time. Now it can go back to being just me and you like it should be.” Michael’s surprised when Brian takes a handful of his shirt and gives him a hard shake!!!

“You little son of a bitch!! I can’t believe how many times he has said you won’t leave him alone. He’s living with me because I want him there. HE. IS. NOT. A. TRICK! You will leave him alone! Do you hear me?? Now, I don’t want you to call me, or show up at Kinnetik or the loft, anymore. I’m changing the locks and banning you from Kinnetik. Cynthia will block you and your mom’s numbers. Justin is ten times more a friend than you are!!”

Brian rushes out of the diner, ignoring the claps and cheers from the people who heard what was said.

Driving quickly to the loft, he catches Justin coming out. He grabs Justin and throws him over his shoulder.

“Put me down!!! Dammit, Brian!!”

Giving Justin a swat on his ass, he says, “Keep still!! I took care of Michael. You’re next!!”

“I meant every word I said, Brian! I’m not taking it back!!”

Setting Justin down, he holds onto him to keep him from leaving.

“You told Michael nothing but the truth. And I heard what he said to you. I found my balls, thank you very much. Is he always that way with you?”

Justin stood with his jaw dropped. Brian heard it all and defended him? Oh my god! That’s huge!

“Brian? What did you say to him?"

“I told him he will leave you alone. That what I want is you with me. And that you’re not a trick. He’s not allowed to call or show up here at the loft. He’s also banned at Kinnetik, and his and Deb’s numbers will be blocked by Cynthia. I’m calling someone to change the locks and the entrance door code. The only people who will know the code and have a key will be me, Cyn, your mom for emergencies, and my best friend and partner - you Justin.”

“Partner? B-best friend? Oh, Bri! Thank you. Do you know how much that means to me?”

Tears of joy shone in his eyes. They share a long kiss.

“I believe I know, Jus. I’m sorry. I should have put a stop to this a long time ago. This is our home. No one should be allowed to intrude.”

Later, after the locks were changed, Justin showed Brian how appreciative he was for what he did. Brian wanted to talk. Yes, really talk.

“You’re out of school by three, aren’t you, Jus? I generally don’t leave until five or six. How about we get you a car and you start working in the art department? You don’t need Michael or Deb on your case. Especially, Michael. You have two free days, so you could divide those days between painting and working for me. We do need another good artist.”

“Seriously?!! Yes! But I feel I should pay for my car.”

“Call it a sign-on bonus. Okay?”

“Fair enough. Now, how about I show my partner how much I appreciate him?”
End Notes:

Well, readers. This is a step ahead in Brian and Justin’s relationship. Do you think Michael will keep quiet?

Chapter 2 by Frosty70
Author's Notes:

The smack downs continue. Plans are made. Brian declares his love for Justin

2.

Justin woke to tiny feather-like kisses on his face and neck. A hand was clasped around his morning wood. After bringing each of his nipples to a hardened, tingling nub, Brian continued down to his belly button. Circling and nibbling at it, Brian felt Justin’s hands gently grasp his hair.

“Morning, Sunshine!!” Getting a groan from his man, he buried his nose in his pubes before licking at the precum bubbling from the slit on the rock-hard cock.

“Brian, please. I need...”

Chuckling, he said “Patience little boy. I’ve got this." Then he swallowed his favorite treat whole. He continued to suck and nibble until he was rewarded with his protein breakfast.

Laying up beside Justin, they smiled happily at each other. Looking at the beautiful face, he wondered why he didn’t open up before. He felt... content? Happy? Whole? All of the above.

Justin caressed the face he'd loved from their beginning. “I loved that wake-up call.”

The words were on the tip of his tongue. Justin never asked for anything. Such a simple thing would make him happy and the words were the truth. He could admit it. "I love you, Justin.”

Blue eyes popped open. “Oh, Brian! I love you too." Justin swooped down and engulfed Brian’s woody. The slender body arched at the feeling of Justin’s throat muscles contracting around him. “Ahhhh, Jus!!” Justin hummed. The vibrations sent shock waves through Brian. Quickly, Brian was brought to completion.

After taking a shower with more playing, they sat on the couch drinking coffee. Justin nestled against Brian’s side.

“Listen to me, Jus. I want us to get an LDP. You’re going to be working for Kinnetik. But I want to share everything with you. I will give you my POA. No, don’t protest. I also want to do a commitment ceremony.”

“Bri... Brian! Are you su..!”

Closing Justin’s mouth with a kiss Brian continued, “This isn’t sudden on my part. I’ve been thinking about this for a while. You deserve to have all of me and I want all of you.” Dropping down to one knee, he took Justin’s hand. "Marry me?”

Throwing his arms around his man... his man! Justin was ecstatic. “Yes, yes, yes!!" But then hesitating, he asked, "Are we gonna...??”

“Yes, Sunshine. It wouldn’t be a true commitment without that. You are the only one that truly satisfies me, even if I’m afraid. But we just fit. In a few months, we can throw away the condoms.”

“Brian, I love you. I know you feel like you’re flawed. But you’re perfect to me. You have a big heart that can be easily hurt. If we stumble, we pick ourselves up and start again. Okay?”

Brian looked at that beautiful face and could only nod. Burying his face in Justin’s neck, he felt arms tighten around him. “Yes, Justin. I want us to work together and build a life together.”

Suddenly the buzzer started going off. Giving a big sigh, Justin looks out and sees Deb outside. “This isn’t happening. I’m turning this thing down. Today is our day, Brian. I’m sure poor widdle Mikey has spun some kind of shit to her. We aren’t getting run out of our home because she and her spoiled manchild thinks you owe them. You don’t owe them anything. You have taken care of Mikey enough. Time for her to take care of him. SHE is his mother.”

Brian sits back down and rests his head on the back of the couch. He watches Justin scanning through his phone. “Found it. It’s an expensive place, but they deliver breakfast. Think you can manage a regular omelet?" Receiving a nod he dials. “Yes, my name is Justin Taylor. I want to order two omelets with ham, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese, please. Do you have guava juice? A large guava juice and same of orange. One plain toast and one with butter. Delivered to 6 Tremont, top floor. Oh, tell the delivery person to not let anyone else in. Thank you.” Seeing that Deb has gone, he turns the buzzer back up.

“You’re right, Sunshine. We’ll deal with the entitled twosome tomorrow. I’ll call our lawyer tomorrow morning as well. We should be able to go sign the papers after I pick you up from school."

The rest of their day they watched TV, spent time in bed, and talked.

_______________

Monday morning, Brian made the call to the lawyer. Then they headed for the diner. Entering, they saw Emmett, Ted, and Mikey at their usual booth. Deb yelled the moment she saw them.

“You asshole! How dare you attack my son.” Raising her hand for a slap, she’s surprised when Brian grabs her wrist and stops her.

“Enough, Deb! I'm not your spoiled child! You have no right to slap me. He ran his mouth at Justin like he has whenever you or I am not around. But this time he didn’t notice I came in and caught him. I’m not Michael's property! The only person I belong to is Justin and Gus. Justin is the only person who sees the real me. I was a fool to think Michael was my friend. He hasn’t been my friend for a long time. The venom he spews, is on the same level as Claire. Justin is my best friend and partner. I love him. As far as that goes, Ted is a better friend than Michael. Get that hurt look off your face, Emmy Lou. I know I can count on you too. Deb, you need to cut the apron strings and let Michael be a man. Justin and I won’t turn our backs if you truly need us, but I’m done being at his beck and call.”

Then Michael comes charging up to them. “I can’t believe you are doing this! You are choosing him over me? He will only hurt you again. He doesn’t deserve you. He...” Stepping away from Michael, Brian pulls Justin into one arm. “Enough, Michael!! God! I told you to stay away from us! Don’t make me take a restraining order out on you! Why waste my breath? Justin and I will probably both mess up. Couples fight at times. But I plan on talking things out when that happens. He’s it for me. I deserve to be happy, and my happiness is this beautiful blond-headed angel I found under a streetlight. Everybody!!! I LOVE JUSTIN TAYLOR!!!” He puts his arm across Justin’s shoulders and turns to leave.

“No, Brian! You will not let them run you out of here. Come and sit in my section. Michael had better sit down and leave you alone. Deb, you have customers to wait on.” Kiki directs Brian and Justin to a table on her side. Then directs a glare at Deb and Michael until they turn away. “Now, then two coffees, an egg-white omelet, and a breakfast special with extra bacon to share with Brian. Right?”

Brian glares, then with a slight smile, he nods. Seconds later, Em and Ted join them.

With a shake of his head, Em looks at the two Novotny’s. “Look at that. Both of them with their arms crossed and a pout on their faces. So proud of you, Brian."

Ted adds, “What happened Saturday has gotten around the avenue. People have waited a long time for the Smackdowns. Well done."

_______________

Later that day...

“Okay, if you two will sign in the appropriate places, I’ll get these filed in the morning. Congratulations.”
End Notes:

Wonder what happens next?

Chapter 3 by Frosty70
Author's Notes:

Carl is at Deb’s for a movie night. But it is turning into something else.

3.

“I can’t believe that asshole!! He dared to talk to me that way!” Deb is pacing as she rants about Brian.

“Red! Honey...” Carl tries to get her attention.

“After everything I’ve done for Brian!”

“DEB!!”

“Where would he be if I hadn’t patched him up and let him stay here to get away from his dad? And Justin! I let him live here.”

“DEBORAH JANE!!! Shut up, now!!!!!”

“How dare you!”

“It is past time that you cut the apron strings and make Michael responsible for his mouth! I haven’t witnessed it, but I have heard about Michael shooting his mouth off at Justin from others talking about it.” He stood up and stepped in front of her.

“I have never heard anyone say a word. Everyone likes Michael.” Deb crossed her arms and got a pout on her face.

“Of course, you haven’t. It does no good to try and tell you anything that’s against your precious baby. And that is what he is. He has never been made to take responsibility for his actions. Before you say it, Brian didn’t help by allowing you and Michael to browbeat him into helping him. But it’s understandable. Brian’s family gave him no love, and you and Michael stepped in and took him under your wing. The two of you, along with Vic, made him part of your family. You gave him the love he yearned for. But at what price? Michael thinks he owns Brian. When Justin came along, he saw through the 'I don’t give a damn' attitude. He accepted Brian for who he is inside. Flaws and all. I believe, even at that first meeting, Brian felt something more for Justin. Was it love? Not necessarily. But Justin didn’t just want the sex; he wanted the whole man. One I’m sure Brian let him see.”

“Brian doesn’t feel that way about Justin. It won’t last.” She huffs and sits down.

“That’s just it. You see the stud, the ‘no apologies, no regrets' man”. He’s changing, Deb. The fact is that Brian finally saw and heard what Michael only shows when you and Brian aren’t around, and acted on it. He’s changing, and I really wonder if Michael will have a place in Brian’s life, even as a friend. His best friend has become Justin.”

Looking at Carl with disbelief on her face, Deb says, “You really believe this... this, shit?”

“Yes Deb, I do. I’ve seen it coming myself. I know you love Brian. Yes, you love Michael more. He’s your son. But you are going to lose Brian and Justin if you keep on. And frankly, you may lose me, as well. I’m going to go and let you think about what I’ve said.” Leaning over to kiss her cheek, he then leaves.
End Notes:

Do you think she will learn from this?

Chapter 4 by Frosty70
Author's Notes:

An intervention at Debs.

4.

After signing the papers for their partnership, Brian and Justin made arrangements and had a commitment ceremony. They picked out rings with their birthstones and a diamond in the middle to wear. Jennifer, Ted and Blake, Emmett and Drew (yes, he turned 21), and Daphne and Cynthia were there. Brian then left Cynthia and Ted in charge of Kinnetik and surprised Justin with a three-day weekend in Vermont. They had big picture windows in the living room and bedroom. There was a heavy snowfall that was so beautiful to watch. When they returned to the Pitts, they both dreaded, yet looked forward to telling the munchers and the Novotny’s about what they'd done.

The week was a busy one. Brian was trying to catch up on the work at Kinnetik and Justin was going to school, and working in the art department. Justin got home first on Friday. He started fixing the steaks on the indoor grill, and after buttering the potatoes and getting them in the oven, he fixed a nice garden salad. When Brian got home, they took a quick shower and sat down to eat. Hearing the phone ring, Justin started to get up, but Brian placed a hand on his arm and said wait.

“Brian, I want you and Justin at dinner tomorrow night. See you then.” They looked at each other, silently communicating the way only they knew how to.

“Let’s call Ted and Em and see if they got calls from her. She sounded strange.”

After both calls confirmed that only he and Justin had been invited, Brian convinced Ted and Em to show up along with their partners. For once, they were going to meet at the loft and go to Deb’s together. They were all sure it was an intervention to try to bring Brian back under Michael and Deb’s thumb.

On Saturday, Em made a main meat dish, Blake made a dessert, and Justin put a Waldorf Salad together. Arriving at Deb’s, they found Michael, Melanie, and Lindsey there. Justin saw that Lindsey had her wasp face on. That wasn’t going to work with Justin.

“Hey, asshole! Where do you get off thinking you can jump Deb in front of the whole diner?” snarled Mel.

Placing a placating hand on Mel’s arm, Lindsey started in, “Brian, I really don’t think you realize the mistake you made. Deb and Michael did so much for you. Justin is still a kid. He needs to go out and find younger friends. You know you’re not ready to settle down and...”

Looking at each other, Brian gives a small nod to Justin. But before Justin can speak, Blake steps in.

“How many years will he owe them? I’ve talked to Brian and know what he went through. My question is, why didn’t you turn his folks in? Even if he didn’t want you to, he should have been taken out of that house! Deb, you wanting Brian to help you raise Michael, is wrong. No! Not a word! If you had let Michael handle his own problems, he might not be the whiny, controlling asshole he is now! BACK OFF!!”

Justin steps up closer to the girls. “Lindsey, your wasp manipulations aren’t going to work on Brian anymore. We have been talking a lot more openly. I explained how the girls in the families are taught to manipulate their men. He understands how you work now.” Turning to Melanie, Justin addresses her, “You and Brian share some personality traits. So you will clash at times. But you need to learn how to ignore Lindsey when she feels she needs attention. She will flip her hair and put her 'poor me' eyes on and say things that make Brian the bad guy in your eyes.” Looking at all four of them, he then said, "Brian defended me for once against Michael. We are closer now. ACCEPT IT! I’m not going anywhere.”

With that said, Brian took Justin’s left hand in his. “He’s my husband. We BELONG to each other. WE SIGNED LDP’s and had a commitment ceremony. We honeymooned in Vermont. I LOVE HIM! If you guys can’t accept that, then you won’t have us as friends.”

Em and Ted looked at their partners and each other. Then Ted spoke up. “You won’t have us either. Since all of this happened, we have bitten our tongues to keep quiet while we listened to you and Michael whine, Deb. Melanie, open your eyes and take a good look at your wife. You used to be a strong, take charge person. I know you are a busy lawyer, but you are placing your career ahead of your family. You are letting Lindsey twist your thinking. She has beaten you down. Brian loves his son very much. Snort if you want to, but we all can see that. Yet he gave up his rights to keep Lindsey from doing something illegal. I saw the pain in his eyes.”

“You are all self-righteous cunts! I don’t know where the caring people we knew went. Or were we all blinded by the way you twist words? Michael and his insults that are covered up by his 'I didn’t mean it that way'. Michael, you go to Babylon or Woody's and try to arrange tricks for Brian. You act like a pimp! You run off anyone that may put your dreams of Brian being your superhero and living someday with you, in danger. But Justin has your number. He has made mistakes. We all do. But he never gave up on Brian. He fights for what he wants. He and Brian are happy. The Avenue knows this now, and they will protect their king and his prince.”

Brian stood there stunned at all he heard. Justin? He wasn’t surprised to hear him defending him. But Ted and Em as well? A warmth spread through him. A bit more of the terrified, hurt little boy, who only wanted to be loved, healed.

Looking at Ted and Em he said, “Ted, Em, how about we go to the loft and eat the food we made? We can spend the afternoon together.” Seeing Gus sit up from the couch he’d been napping on, he walked over and picked him up. “Girls, I’m going to take Gus with us. I’ll drop him by later this evening around five.” His glare and determined look in his eyes kept them quiet. Melanie gave a short nod of her head and Lindsey tried to glare, but dropped her head and kept quiet.

Taking Justin’s hand and giving Ted and Em a nod, he headed for the door. "Intervention’s over folks.” With a final glance at Deb, he said, “What happens in the future is up to you, Deb. But understand, Michael won’t change. The friend I knew and loved as a brother once, is gone. Later.”

The rest of the day was spent unwinding from the tension they’d felt. Brian opened up a bit more and laughed and joked openly with the remaining gang, and often shared occasional loving touches with Justin. Gus was thrilled to be with his daddy, his Juss, and his 'uncles'. Later, a tired but happy little boy was delivered to his mothers.
End Notes:

Hmm. Wonder what will happen next? Will Melanie wise up? Will Deb let Michael off the apron strings?

Chapter 5 by Frosty70
Author's Notes:

Daphne gets her turn.

5.

Being pressed for time, Brian and Justin decide to attempt to have breakfast at the diner. On seeing them enter, Kiki glances towards the back then heads to them.

“Hi, boys. You can sit here. Griz, keep an eye out, please? Thanks. Should I put the usual in?"

“Yes Kiki, thanks. Griz, we don’t want to trouble you,” Brian says.

“No trouble at all. The avenue protects the deserving. Deb's in the back and Leroy knows about yesterday.”

Hearing the ding of the bell and Griz’s groan, they figure Mikey has entered.

“Brian!! I went to the loft. You haven’t given me the new codes yet. I expect you at Babylon tonight. Boy Wonder can find something else to do.”

Justin placed his hand on Brian’s arm. Another ding and a whirlwind came barreling toward their table, shoving Mikey out of the way.

“Hey you two, are we still playing tonight? Jus, your mom wants to play, if it’s okay," Daphne glances back at Mikey and smirks. Mikey starts to open his mouth.

“Ah, ah, ah. Not a word from you. Seems to me that pea you call a brain, would have figured out you need to be anywhere but here." Looking towards the back, Daph sees Deb coming in their direction. “Go let your mama tend to you, whiny boy.” Striding over to Mikey, Daphne grabs his arm and tugs him to his mom.

“Owww. Let go, that hurts. Ma! Make her leave me alone.”

Seeing Deb winding up, Daph places her hands on her hips and glares at Deb. “I’d think twice before you slap me. My sting makes anything you have, look like a love pat. Tell me how you managed to make him a spoiled self-entitled brat? Brian may have his issues, but he put his big boy pants on and worked hard to make it in this world. Mikey still has his diaper on. Hi, Leroy! How ya doing?” Turning to Mikey, she says. “You do know that if Brian wanted you in any way, shape, or form, he would have finished that hand job?”

“You don’t know anything, Daph! Someday Brian and I are gonna be retired and living together in Palm Springs. He said so!” He crosses his arms and pouts.

“He also said thirty was the end of life, whiny boy. But you know, when you have a MATURE man by your side, it makes living life a whole lot easier."

“That won’t last.” Both Deb and Mikey say at the same time.

“Really? Hmmm. Seems like the other day I was looking at signed LDP papers. That’s right! I was, and Brian and Justin had signed them. Licensed Domestic Partnership, in case you didn’t know the meaning of LDP. They are more bound together than marriage.

“Deb? I heard some gossip while I was at the bank. They were saying you mortgaged your house again. Are you aware he sells a few comics but his *toys* just sit there? ‘They’ll be worth so much more, years from now’ he always says. Pfft. That day will never come. You should make sure you do a good job here so you can pay the bank off. By the look that Leroy is throwing your way, he’s not too happy with you." With that, she goes back to patting Griz on the shoulder as she walks by and sits with Brian and Justin. I just love a good Smackdown, don’t you?" she beams at Brian.

He shakes his head and gives her a kiss on the cheek. “Next to Gus and Justin, you are my favorite person, Daph. What are you fixing tonight? I think Justin is doing a mixed-fruit and veggie tray with dips.” Justin grins and nods his head.

“I’m fixing some sloppy joes and some pigs in a blanket. What are Em and Ted bringing?”

“Em’s bringing a tray of various cookies and a container of Spiced Rum milk punch. Ted is bringing a tray of pretzels and chips of various kinds with a dip and some beer. Oh, Carl’s coming, and he’s bringing some kind of chocolate nut candy," Justin says, patting Brian’s arm. “Don’t worry, hon. I’ ll help you work it off. Wait! You said Mom's coming?"

“Yep. She says after dealing with your dad’s ranting, she wants to seriously let her hair down. You know that’s always fun. She’s gonna leave the wasp at the door,” Daph says, laughing. “This is gonna be fun. We’ll see you guys tonight.”

That night they all got together. Jennifer showed up with her boyfriend, Tucker. They had two tables of five for poker. Brian and Justin heated things up a bit when they started necking. Jennifer had a sly grin on her face and proceeded to neck with Tucker. She actually had him pushed up against the beam, kissing the hell out of him with her leg between his.

“Mom! Please, I can see you.” Justin had his head in Brian’s neck.

“Justin, I can see you as well. There have been times when I’ve seen more than kissing when you come for lunch.”

“Well folks, I’m tapped out. Early day tomorrow. It’s been fun.” With that, Carl left.

Jennifer said, “Finally!” Grabbing her purse she pulled a baggie out and deftly rolled a joint. Taking a long pull, she shakes the bag. “Anyone want some?”

“Who are you, and what have you done to my mother?" Justin grabs the bag and rolls a joint, lights up, and offers it to Brian.

“Chill, Sunshine. She’s had to deal with Craig today." Brian pulls Justin on his lap and the rest of the evening is spent telling stories.

The next morning, Brian and Justin awake to find people sprawled all over the loft.
Chapter 6 by Frosty70

6.

Brian sat at his desk and pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to get rid of the impending headache. He was dealing with a difficult client who has a franchise of car parts in Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio. Justin comes in, and seeing the pain in Brian’s eyes, he goes behind him and starts to massage his neck and temples.

"I’ve redone the boards, Bri. I’ve given it my best."

He sets the boards up and Brian looks at what he’s done. It shows a mechanic with no shirt on and wearing form-fitting jeans bent over an open hood fixing a car in one panel. The others show him changing the brakes, and under a car putting in a new transmission. Boxes of parts bearing the franchise name were lying around the garage.

“Since they sell the parts, I thought we could show someone fixing their own vehicle and...”

The door bangs open making them both jump... “Briiiaaannnnn!!”

Before either man could respond, a hand clamped on Michael’s arm.

"I TOLD you they were busy. This is a place of business, and even if they wanted to talk to you, which they don’t, they don’t have time!”

"Let go of me. You have no right! Brian will..."

"Not do a damn thing. You are banned from here - permanently..."

Michael gives Cynthia a push, making her stumble back. When she grabs for him again, he raises his hand as if to hit her. The next moment, he’s on the floor holding his jaw. Cynthia stands over him shaking her hand out. Grabbing the back of his tee-shirt she starts to drag him to the exit. The receptionist holds the door open while Michael is taken out and left on the sidewalk. The door is locked behind him.

“Don’t worry about it, Dianna. It takes practice to keep Michael out.”

Going back to Brian’s office, she sees Brian, Justin, and Ted standing there with stunned looks on their faces.

"What? My days of being nice are over. You two are fighting back, so I will too. Ted? Contact our lawyer to see if he can’t get a restraining order against Michael. There should be camera footage of his behavior. Now, back to work." She returns to her desk. Calmly picking up a file and looking through it.

Looking at Brian and Justin, Ted says, "I think we should never get on Cynthia’s bad side. I’ll make the call.”

Later that day, restraint orders are handed to Michael, banning him from going to the loft or Kinnetik. He is also to stay fifty feet away from Brian and Justin.

That evening when Brian and Justin get home, as they’re getting out of the jeep they hear a screech behind them.

"I want to talk to you guys!” Deb screeches as she comes barreling towards them.

"Deborah, leave my sons alone!" Jennifer says as she puts a restraining hand on her arm.

“Sons? You only have one son. That bastard will give me an answer on Michael’s treatment today." She unsuccessfully tries to pull away.

"THEY are committed to each other. Thus Brian is my son now. I think we know who the bastard is. You were never married to Lt. Novotny or Danny DeVore. Deborah, you need to realize what you are doing. You are losing everyone you supposedly love. You are going to end up with Michael being the only one you have. Imagine listening to him whine about whatever is supposedly wrong in his world, all day. I know Vic tried to warn you that you were spoiling him. He needs to learn how to handle his own life. Let him grow up, Deborah. Now please! Go home and think about this. "

Jennifer goes on into the building. Deborah watches as Jennifer puts her arms around Brian. He lays his head down on her shoulder, drawing comfort from the only mother he can count on. Deborah slowly turns and walks away.

___________________________

Upstairs...

"A glass of wine, Mom?"

Seeing her nod, Justin gets her a glass of white wine and glasses of Beam for Brian and himself.

"Mom, Brian and I have been talking about buying a house. We don’t want it too close to the Avenue."

"We’d like to have something with four or five bedrooms, a studio for Justin, and an office for me. I’d like to have a gym in the basement with an indoor pool. Outside, we could have room for a bigger pool and a tennis court. We thought it would be nice to learn how to play. Perhaps four or five acres with some woods, as well."

Pulling her laptop out, she goes through several listings.

"I have four houses you can look at. Three of them have large finished basements. Let me see, this one in West Virginia is thirty minutes from Pittsburgh. Hmmm, the basement isn’t finished, but could easily be fixed up as a gym. It’s really the only one large enough to accommodate an indoor pool, and there is a tennis court as well. Have you ever ridden a horse, Brian? There’s a stable. We used to ride when the kids were young.“

"I never had lessons, but I did have an uncle on Mom’s side that we used to visit. He had horses that I’d ride. Jus, what do you think about these houses?"

“Well, this one on Allegheny Drive is on the river. We’d have to check it out. I like the look, but we don’t want to get blocked in by high water if we bought it. This one in West Virginia I really like. Uhh, Brian?”

“I’m listening, Baby. Just checking on something. Okay, it would be a bit of a drive especially in winter, but it might deter unwanted visits from unwanted guests; Mom excluded of course. Jus, let’s check this one out. Look at what I found on my phone. They have enclosed their outdoor pool. Notice the tinted glass on the sides, plus an overhead awning. We could swim year-round. Plus, we could sunbathe on the patio in the summer."

"I really like that one the best, Bri. I know we talked about selling the loft, but we could use it in bad weather."

"Baby, let’s see what your mom can do for us in the West Virginia manor. The pictures here show it to be in great shape."

"Let me check something really quick. Hmm, where was it? Ahh, here it is. I know this is small, but it’s right behind Kinnetik. It’s a two-bedroom, but has one full bath connected to the master. Separate shower with a nice tub. Then a bath with a shower only. My thoughts are you could use this for the bad weather or when you work late. It’s been on the market for five years. The West Virginia house for eight years. Let me see what kind of deals I can get you. Justin, I’ve kept this quiet, but I have been in negotiations with your father. I backed him into a corner so he had to deal with me. He managed to get his friend at the bank to let him empty my inheritance from my father. I gave him the choice to replace the money or I’d file charges. He turned one of the stores over to me and I’ve sold it for half of the money. He had to empty his savings and sell stocks to repay the rest. I’m dividing it three ways between you, Molly, and myself. This second house, I want to buy and gift you and Brian. I have enough to do that and still have plenty for my retirement someday. Please Brian, Justin, doing this means a lot to me. Of course, you will want to see it first. If you don’t like it, there are some loft apartments that aren’t too far from Kinnetik. It’s in a mixed neighborhood. But it’s gay friendly. Brian please, you’ve always been there for Justin.”

Brian and Justin looked at each other. They silently communicated to each other. Finally, Brian smiled at Justin and gave him a kiss.

"Okay, Mom. Make arrangements to view the houses.”

___________________________

"Well, it is small, Jus. But if we used it as a place to go in bad weather, it should be okay. Plus there is a garage to park in."

"Bri, we could build a covered walkway between the house and Kinnetik. There is a backdoor to connect to. So Mom, are you sure you can handle this?”

"Yes, Justin. I wouldn’t have offered if I couldn’t. So I take it that you want it?"

Brian wrapped his arms around Jennifer. "Thanks, Mom.”

___________________________

They all rode together to see the manor. Though he tried to contain himself, Brian could tell Justin loved it. He had to admit that he liked it as well. He had already told Ted to free up the money for it. As they were walking the grounds, Brian’s phone rang.

"Hey, Ted, what did you figure out for me? Uh-huh. Great! Well, no gossiping about this, okay? It’s for a house. More like a manor."

He first grabbed Justin and swung him around. Then before she could move, he grabbed Jennifer and did the same with her.

“So Baby, we want this, right? I have enough to pay half down. Hopefully a thirty-year mortgage. We will sell the loft, furniture and all. Jenn? Can you get right on that and Ted will handle the down payment."

Within two weeks, they had both houses. The loft had several bidders and sold for $3,000,000. The only furniture they took was Brian’s desk and the chaise. The winter house, as they named it, had been painted and the walkway built. A fence surrounded the property with complete security. They had furnished it and moved in so the loft sale could be completed. Then Ted arranged for a portion of the money to automatically pay the mortgage. Not a lot had to be done to the manor. Justin did some sketches of what he envisioned. He found an app online that he could create what he wanted. Upon Brian’s approval, they hired a contractor to do the work.

___________________________

Ted, Blake, Em, and Drew were eating breakfast at the diner. Michael came storming in, immediately demanding Ted tell him where Brian had moved to.

"Not gonna happen, Michael. If he wants to let everyone know, he will tell them. His days of doing whatever you wanted are over with.”

Grabbing Ted’s chair, he spun Ted around. “He’s my best friend! You...”

Blake grabbed Michael and got right in his face. Kiki blocked Deb from getting out from behind the counter.

“Never do that again! None of us answer to you! He said no, accept it. You are no one's best friend! Best friends have each other’s backs. All you wanted was for Brian to keep drinking, taking Anita’s mix, and having sex with whoever. He’s not that man anymore. We can all see that. He sold the loft. Only his real friends know where he’s moved."

Blake let go of Michael as a man walked up to him. He handed Michael a paper and said, "This paper is a restraining order. You are not allowed to go to any residence or business Brian and Justin Taylor Kinney own. You must stay five hundred feet away."

Tearing the paper up, Michael stormed out of the diner.

"Deb, you really need to stop him before he gets too far. He’ll be jailed if he goes to Kinnetik," Ted says.

"Brian wouldn’t..." she starts then stops. She went and sat down at a table. Em starts to get up, but Drew stops him. Kiki sits down at her table.

“Deb, it’s been eighteen years since Brian came into your and Michael’s life. What started out as him doing what he could to help you - because you took care of him and showed him love - has turned into a demand for him to repay you. He doesn’t owe you anything. He’s grown up now. He loves Justin. Hon, Justin was never a trick, and he certainly wasn’t just a fuck. Brian was faced with a young man that had a crush on him that turned into loving Brian. But Justin was able to see the man inside wanting to come out. We all saw that, but you and Michael refused to. It took a while for Brian’s walls to come down, he didn’t know what to do with Justin. He didn't think he deserved him. Justin didn’t give up. He learned to back off, yet he was still there for him. I saw that many times when he was working here. Brian needs someone who will challenge him. Who calls him on his shit. He’s young, but Justin is more of Brian’s equal. You need to let Michael deal with his own life. Make him grow up. Listen to him, advise him, but don’t solve his problems."

___________________________

Dianna sees Michael heading for Kinnetik. Oh no! Why me? "Fred, if he doesn’t leave, call the police." She steps outside the door and locks it behind her. Her cell in her hand.

"Mr. Novotny, you need to leave. I know you got the restraining order.” He tries to move her out of the way, but she pushes him back. “I have three older brothers. I can put you on the ground. No! You are not getting in!"

Carl pulls up, with another officer pulling in behind him.

"Michael, this is your only warning. We WILL jail you. You must leave."

Dianna takes her phone and calls Brian’s office.

"Mr. Taylor Kinney, Michael is here as well as the police. What do you want to be done?" She puts the phone on speaker.

"I know he was served. Have the police take him in."

"Officer Hanley, do your duty. Cuff him."

Fred and Dianna watch as the police cars pull away.

Later at the station, Michael calls his ma. "You’ve got to help me, Ma. I’ve been arrested. WHAT!? What do you mean, 'No'? You can’t leave me here! Ma? MA!”

Chapter 7 by Frosty70
7.

Deb slowly entered the police station. Carl was standing at the desk and saw her.

Walking up to her, he asks, “Did you come to bail Michael out?”

Taking a deep breath, she answers, “No. He knew better than to go to Kinnetik, but he’s so obsessed with Brian, he can’t think of anything else. Can we go to your office, please?”

Getting settled, she begins, “Carl, how do I fix this? In spite of the fact that he’s a grown man, he’s stuck at fourteen. Carl, I had this, ‘I’m always right’ attitude, until Kiki sat me down and had a talk with me. Vic helped a lot with Michael, but before he got sick, he had his own life to live. He lived in New York for a while working as a cook. After he got sick, I brought him home. He talked a lot with Brian, and he tried to talk to Michael. He tried to tell me that Michael was not suited for Brian. That he was too needy. But I thought Michael would grow up. That he would change under Brian’s influence, but he didn’t. He lived through Brian’s exploits as a gay man. Until Dr. David, he didn’t try to get anyone of his own. Oh, he took a guy home with him the night Brian met Justin and Gus was born. But Carl, the guy had a fake ass and a fake package in his pants!”

She looks at Carl and sees the mirth in his eyes and she laughs. “Can you imagine his face when he saw that? Brian told him to stay home with the guy, but naturally, he had to go. I can see now where Michael twisted Brian’s words at times to suit Michael’s imagination. I blamed Brian so many times when I shouldn’t have. Brian’s parents were abusive, but he’d always say no when I tried to get him to tell the truth when a broken bone sent him to the hospital. If I thought I would have had a chance to keep him, I would have handled things differently. But being gay was disapproved of back then, more than it is now.

“I know it’s wrong on some level, but the bad in Brian’s life gave him the strength to fight and work harder to get out of that life. He got a four-year soccer scholarship, then an academic scholarship and finished his Master’s in one year. Brian helped Michael with his schoolwork, and he helped him get through school. I think Ted does his books now.

“To get back to his time dating Dr. David. He started acting like him; the man could be friendly, but he was a snob. Brian hated him, and I thought like Michael did, that he was just jealous of David. But now I realize that Brian knew David was bad for Michael. David hosted a benefit for Senator Baxter, and Michael didn’t want us there. Diane and I hit it off. Michael got mad and queened out over that. I forgave him, but I know now I shouldn’t have. We had Diane over for dinner, and Michael came in and just stood looking at me. Not once did he say sorry, he just expected me to forgive him. And I did forgive him, and I expected the guys to forgive him too. Oh well, I can’t change things in the past. But I can try to figure out how to do better in the future. I’m just sure I know how to. I better go. Thanks so much for listening to me, Carl.”

She gets up to leave when Carl stops her. “Deb? Suppose I try to talk to Michael. I know he resents me, but maybe, well, I’ll try to be a father-figure to him. I can’t promise anything, but I’ll try.”

“Oh Carl, thank you! All any of us can do is try. You can tell him about my talk with Kiki. She won’t care.” He raises her hand and kisses it.

“I’ll see you later, Deb.”

As Deb leaves, Carl tells another officer, “Fred, I’m going to talk to Michael Novotny. It might take a little while, I’m not sure.”

Michael was alone in the cell as the others were out in the exercise yard. He was stretched out on his bunk looking miserable. When Carl came in, he scowled and crossed his arms over his chest.

“I suppose you’re responsible for Ma leaving me in here.”

“No Michael, I’m not. Kiki sat down with your mother and had a talk with her. She got your mom to take off her rose-colored glasses and see the truth. You need to grow up and face some truths.”

“The only truth I see is Boy Wonder has brainwashed Brian to do what he wants. Brian doesn’t do boyfriends, partners, or whatever the hell they are. He fucks, and Justin is the twink that never left. He promised we would be two old queens living in Palm Springs when we retired. He told me he loves me.”

“Michael, he didn’t mean it that way. Tell me something. Didn’t Brian say he would die young? He never meant to be alive to retire to Palm Springs. If Justin hadn’t come along, eventually Brian’s lifestyle would have killed him. In a way, you could say he was trying to commit suicide.”

“He wasn’t doing that!”

“Michael, Brian talked to me about the bashing and his attempted scarfing. He was freaking out about his age. I asked him if he realized he could have died. He said yes, but he really didn’t care. Does that sound like someone who was happy with his life?”

“I can’t believe that he didn’t care. I can’t!” Tears streamed down his face.

Carl pulled him to him and wrapped his arms around him. Then looking at him he says, “Listen to me, okay?”

Michael nods.

“Brian needs someone to challenge him. To call him on his shit. To just plain love him for who Brian is, deep down inside.”

He puts his hand up as Michael starts to say something. “The night Justin met Brian, he had no clue about his reputation. All he saw was a gorgeous man who was gentle with him, who took his time to lead him slowly through what I’m calling a rite of passage for a young gay man. Justin is genius-level smart. That’s not a dig, just a fact. He also comes from the wasp community. Their children are raised to know how to handle themselves in public. Society parties and that type of stuff. With Brian’s business, he gets in similar situations at times. Michael, you live and breathe comics. That’s what you know to talk about. That and hot guys. Justin can talk about things that are going on in the world. When you were with Dr. David, could you talk about the topics they did? Truthfully?”

Grudgingly, he admits, “They were very uppity people. All I could do is listen. Most of it I didn’t understand. I guess I’m dumber than most.”

“Not dumb, Michael. You know more about comics than most people. You know the value. You know how to handle and care for them. You can talk about them in detail. Somewhere out there, there’s someone for you. But if you don’t realize Brian will never be more than a friend, you may miss out on meeting that someone. It’s not going to be easy. Brian has a life with Justin now. When you meet someone, you will find that your focus will be more on them. So don’t you think you could step back and let Brian be happy?

“I’d also like to get back with your mother. I promise I won’t hurt her. But she deserves a life. You know if you would save money and go to more Comic-Cons, you might meet someone there. Maybe throw yourself into updating your shop. Buy some game machines that have some superhero games to sell. You might be surprised by what comes along. Okay?”

“I guess I could give it a try. But after all these years of hanging out with Brian, Emmett, and Ted, it’s not gonna be easy.” He wiped a tear away.

Carl pulled him in for a hug and just let him cry. “Son, I’ll be there for you if you need a shoulder. Promise me that you will come and talk to me if you need to. Okay?”

Michael wiped his eyes and nodded. “I will. Thanks, Carl.”

“That’s okay. Now, let’s get you out of here. I don’t want to see you back here again. Got it?”

“Got it.”

_______________

When Michael stepped into the diner, Em and Ted steeled themselves for the worst. Deb wasn’t sure what to do. Michael walked back to their booth.

“Hi, guys. Umm, look. I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting. Ted, could you tell Brian and Justin that I’m sorry? It’s time that I put my childhood fantasies behind me. Brian has found his soulmate, I need to accept it and go on with my own life. Hopefully someday, I can find someone who will love me that way.

“Uh, Ma? Carl and I had a nice talk. He helped me to see some truths. I’m actually glad you told me ‘no’. I love you, Ma. I’ve gotta get to the shop. Later y’all.”

_______________

Later at the Shop...

“Can I help you with something?”

“Yes, I teach at Carnegie Mellon. I’m trying to find some comics to use in my gay studies class.”
End Notes:
Well, the smackdowns finally made Michael see some truths, and to let go of the past and get on with his future.
This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1525