Eighteen Kids and Counting by Willameana
Summary:

A Yours, Mine and Ours story. Brian is a father of ten children and Justin the father of eight when they meet. This is a MPREG so if that isn't your thing I'm sorry. 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Daphne Chanders, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Kiki, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Family, Language, M/M, Mental Health Issues, MPreg (Yup! Went THERE!), Other Character Death, Prostitution, Self-Harm
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst w/ Happy Ending, Drama, Humor
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 37085 Read: 9200 Published: Sep 23, 2020 Updated: Oct 30, 2022
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. A Night Out by Willameana

2. Stars by Willameana

3. Camp by Willameana

4. Dinner by Willameana

5. Meeting the Family by Willameana

6. Tragic Mistake by Willameana

7. School Days by Willameana

8. Unexpected Gifts by Willameana

9. Guess Who by Willameana

10. Bad Moon Rising by Willameana

11. The End of the Road by Willameana

A Night Out by Willameana
Author's Notes:

Trigger warning, talk of self-harm.

I just started this story and wrote 10000 words before I could take a break. This is the first of what I've already written.  I'm shaping up the next chaper of Free Falling right now. Please enjoy. 

 

 

 

“Don’t you think you should get out there and try dating again?” Michael asked, his voice was starting to get annoying.

Brian took a long pull from his beer before looking at his best friend. He wanted to be mad, but it was a fair question. When he had met Lindsay during their freshman year of college, he found a confidant. Then they decided to try sex with the opposite sex, because people do experiment during college, during their senior year. Well, accidents happen.

They only got married because Lindsay begged him. She needed the money from her parents and being an unwed mother was no way to endear her to her parents. He would have told her to fuck off, but she had his child she was leveraging.

Lindsay and he worked out a deal. They could fuck who they wanted, just not at the house. He also had to agree to sex with her a few times a year. Turned out, Lindsay was extremely fertile.

Around the fifth kid, he knew he was in for life. He wished he could say he learned to love her, but the truth was with every child he got more and more resentful. When she got pregnant with number ten, Leia, he was sure she was taking fertility medication to conceive so easily.

But the pregnancy didn’t go like the others. She was on bedrest from five months up. Then she went into labor six weeks early. Leia made it but Lindsay hemorrhaged and died.

Now he didn’t have to live his life in the closet, but who would want a man with ten kids? Not just any ten kids, but the world’s worst ten kids ever born.

He lived in a big house, but it still felt like it didn’t have enough room. Privacy was impossible. He had also gone through four housekeepers, three nannies and apparently one escaped convict who turned herself back in after a short time with his kids.

After a year of being a widower, people started asking when he would get out there again. Everyone now, knew he was gay, not just his close friends and family. Lindsay’s parents were still in the dark, but they barely saw the kids anyway, thankfully.

What he wanted now, and what he wanted years ago differed greatly. When he was in college, he never planned to settle down. Didn’t believe in love and didn’t want or need it. After years of marriage and ten children, he just wanted the real thing. The passion, the love, the need. It had been Lindsay’s plan to have so many children, he never wanted any. But when Gus was conceived, he gave in, he didn’t want his children to grow up like him.

He knew whoever the person he decided to spend the rest of his life with, it was going to be a male person. But that was the rub, having two kids would be a hard sell. Ten was insane.

“Drop it, Michael. I just want to sit here and have a drink.”

“Fine. I don’t get it though. Lindsay’s been gone three years. I thought you wanted to start dating.”

“Christ, Mikey, could you not say it like that?”

“Like what?”

“Like I’m some high school girl waiting for a date to prom.”

“We just want you happy,” Michael said, taking a drink of his beer.

“I am happy. I have my own agency that does very well. I have ten healthy and hap- well, they’re adjusted.”

“No, you’re content. I haven’t seen you happy, really and truly happy since the day you got your acceptance letter to Penn State.”

“Yeah, I think if anyone needs someone true, it’s you. How long has it been since you were with a guy longer than a trip to the backroom?” Emmett asked.

“College?” Brian asked, raising his eyebrow.

“College. Seriously, Brian, go on a date with a guy,” Michael said.

“And do what?”

“Figure it out,” Emmett said, grinning.

 

 


 

“Daphne, I should be home,” Justin complained on the phone.

He was sitting at a bar, trying to get Daphne to let him leave. She was being a hold out, making sure his kids were safe for the night. For some strange reason she thought he needed a night out by himself.

“One night isn’t going to traumatize them for life,” she growled on the phone. He could hear Mitch laughing in the background.

Justin rolled his eyes. Baby Bea had just gotten over a stomach bug. It made him worried the others might get sick. When one got sick, they all did. But he thought maybe they may escape it this time.

He hadn’t even known it was possible for a male to get pregnant when he first got pregnant. Apparently before he was even thought of being conceived a secret government experiment was used on the residents of Pittsburgh. It was placed into the water and still to this day the experiment is top secret. But a side effect they were not expecting was making five percent of male offspring conceived after the fact, able to conceive and carry children. On the outside, they looked like normal males, but inside was something that made a scientist dream come true. Thankfully, by the time he found out he was pregnant, he wasn’t close to being the first one. But it was still not talked about in decent company, his mother would say.

He had no clue though when he and his boyfriend had sex at fifteen that it was possible. Since he had no idea, he could get pregnant, he thought he was dying from a tumor. Not wanting to worry his parents, he wore big clothes hiding the huge bump.

He had been sitting in history class when he was hit by bone crushing pain. The school nurse called the ambulance when she saw his stomach. Krista was born via C-section later that day.

His father flipped his lid and said he and the baby weren’t welcome at his house.  His boyfriend’s mother let him, and the baby move in. Ethan wasn’t the love of his life, but he thought he could learn to love him like that. A year later, Nina was born. A year after that, Freddie was born. By that time, Ethan was pretty much a memory. Ethan had moved out and Justin could see Rita, Ethan’s mom wanted him out.

So, there he was at eighteen with three children. He wasn’t proud of what he did afterwards. He started hustling to feed his kids and put a roof over their heads.

Then he met George. He was one of Justin’s nicer clients. George had been in the closet his whole life until he was well into his golden years. George started paying him so much, he stopped taking other clients. That made it easier to know who the father was when he fell pregnant again. George had been ecstatic and moved Justin and the kids into his mansion.

Sadie was born on Christmas day. Three years later, George died while he and Justin were having sex. He had given Justin a gift just before he died…number five, Mitch.

George had left him and the kids a fortune. George’s family tried to get it back but Justin’s lawyer, George’s old one, buried them in court. Now he wouldn’t have to worry about his kids going hungry or being homeless.

He was able to get a decent sized house, and moved them all in. It wasn’t huge, all kids had to share but it was theirs. He was able to finish P.I.F.A., which he started when he moved in with George.

A one-night stand while he was celebrating, a broken condom and nine months later, Lucas was born. Lucas’ sperm donor was a nice but bland man who flattered Justin just when he needed it. He couldn’t be sure, but he thought his name was Ned or something like that.

A year later Ethan came back around. He swore he wanted to be a part of the kids’ lives. All that happened was he stole their vacation savings and left Justin carrying number seven, Hannah.

Then lastly, there was Baby Bea. Two years ago, he went to a Halloween party at Babylon. He had never gone before and wanted to see what it was like. He was dressed up as the Joker, Daphne had done his makeup. His kids couldn’t even recognize him. He met Batman at Babylon; they hadn’t left. Just going into the backroom, Batman didn’t even remove his mask. Not that Justin cared, all he wanted was one night of dirty fun. All he got was a hangover and a baby.

That was it for him, no more hookups. Because eight children were plenty enough. With his condition there was no real way to sterilize him without major risk and it seemed he was very fertile. He had dated a nice guy for a few weeks but when he told him about having eight kids, the guy ghosted him…fuck him.

 

 


 

Brian spotted a young blond sitting at the bar. The night seemed to be looking up. Usually, young, slim blonds weren’t his type. Most of the time he went for men near his own age with a bit of muscle.

“I’ll be right back, boys,” he said to Emmett and Michael. Ted was working late on Brian’s latest client.

“I thought we were going to hang out?” Michael whined.

“We will…later.”

He put his best swagger on, heading to the bar. The blond was still turned towards the bartender.

“Buy you a drink?” Brian asked.

The blond turned towards him; Brian was momentarily speechless at the smile of the man. Man was bit of a stretch though. “You are old enough to drink right?”

God, he had a seventeen-year-old, it would be sick if he were hitting on someone his son’s age.

The blond laughed. “I’m plenty old enough. Thirty on my last birthday.”

“Really?”

“Why would I lie about being thirty?” he asked with that captivating smile.

“You got me there.”

He hated to admit when he turned thirty. Now that he was on the other side of forty, he missed the good old days.

“Still want to buy me that drink?” the blond asked.

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“Because I’m not some doe-eyed chicken?”

“If I wanted chicken I would go to KFC. Why don’t you join us at our table?”

There was that smile again, Brian thought it was addicting.

“That sounds nice.”

After ordering the blond’s drink, they made their way to the table.

“Well, hello, baby,” Emmett said in greeting.

“That’s Emmett and this is Michael. I’m Brian.”

“Hi, my name is Justin. It’s nice to meet all of you.”

“So, sweetie, what are you doing here all on your lonesome?” Emmett asked Justin.

“I don’t usually have time to go out. My friend is watching my kids, allowing me to get out.”

“You have kids?” Michael asked.

“Yep.”

“I’ve got kids, too,” Brian added, although leaving out how many.

“They’re something, aren’t they?” Justin said, smiling fondly.

“You can say that again.” Devils every last one of them.

The night went on, they talked about work, movies and even cars. Somehow how many children they had never came up, or any kid stories. If Brian didn’t know any better, he would say Justin was trying to stay away from the subject of kids too. They were so wrapped up in conversation he didn’t even notice when Michael and Emmett left.

“Oh, when did your friends leave?” Justin said, looking around.

“I don’t remember. I think you were talking about the difference in Expressionism and Fauvism.”

“Sorry, sometimes I can ramble on about art.”

“It’s alright, I found it illuminating.”

Brian smiled at the light blush on the other man’s cheeks. He watched as Justin looked at his phone and bit his lip.

“Oh, damn. I need to get home,” he said, apologetically.

Brian checked his watch and saw it really was quite late. He didn’t like leaving Gus in charge of all the kids for very long. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust his oldest son. Putting one in charge was like waving a red flag at the other.

“Yeah, me too. I’ve had fun tonight. Can we get together some other time?” he asked.

Justin smiled and handed his phone over. “Sure, put your number in.” Brian handed him his phone too, so he could do the same.

As he left, Brian couldn’t help but feel lighter. Justin already knew he had kids, and he had some as well. Maybe he wouldn’t run when Brian told him about his ten. Add Justin’s one or two kids to his, it might actually work. He had never felt such a quick bond with another person. Even his friendship with Mikey took several weeks to form and they were only fourteen.

 

 


 

Justin whistled as he parked his car in the driveway. He couldn’t ever remember having such a repour with someone. Brian was funny, sarcastic, gorgeous, and best yet, he had kids too. Justin knew eight kids was a lot to take but adding Brian’s two or three, that was a lot but maybe might work. It figures, after he swore off men, he would meet Mr. Right.

It was pretty late; Justin expected the kids to be in bed or at least their rooms. That’s not what he walked into.

“I’m going to kill you,” Krista, fifteen, was yelling as she pounded on the downstairs bathroom door. “Dad’s home. He’s gonna ground you for life.”

Daphne was sitting on the couch, holding Bea, one, on her lap. Hannah, three, was sleeping curled into Daphne’s side. The movie A Christmas Story was playing on the television.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked Daphne, sitting on the other side of Hannah on the couch.

“Nina.”

“What happened?”

“Nina read Krista’s personal journal. The world is ending.”

The Waltons had been a big fat lie. Siblings close together in age didn’t love being around each other. His fifteen-year-old and fourteen-year-old daughters were always at each other’s throats. Maybe that was the reason the other kids seemed to get along better. Krista was short, fair-skinned, blonde and socially awkward around non-family. Nina, tall, dark hair with an olive skin and very popular at school, she looked so much like her other father.

“Go on home, I guess I should give you combat pay.”

“There’s not enough money in world. Lucas and Mitch are in bed. Freddie is playing some online game in the computer room. Sadie is in her room reading. Hannah wouldn’t go to bed until you came home.” She stood up, causing Hannah to shift in her sleep and nestle into his side. Daphne handed him Bea, who looked far from tired.

“Thanks, be careful going home.”

“Bye, and good luck.”

He waited a while after she left before moving. Hannah didn’t even shift at all the screaming and banging on the door that Krista did.

Standing up, this time Hannah woke up. “Go on up to bed, I’ll be there soon to tuck you in.”

She groggily nodded her head and headed up the stairs. He left and went into the office which they used as a computer room. Freddie, thirteen, was on the computer playing some video role playing game.

“Freddie, I need your help getting Bea to sleep.”

“One more minute. Please, Dad.”

“Fine but once I’ve changed her diaper and made her bottle, I expect you to be done.”

“Great, thanks, Dad.”

Justin left, went about getting everything ready for Freddie to take her to bed. Krista and Nina share a room. Freddie, Mitch and Lucas share one. Sadie and Hannah share. That left Bea in his room with him. When she got older, she would share with Hannah and Sadie.

Once he was finished, Freddie took Bea and went upstairs to get her to sleep. Now he had to deal with what he had been putting off since he got home.

“KRISTA!” he yelled over her yelling. “STOP!”

She turned and glared at him. “Do you know what she did?” she asked, tears now running fiercely down her face.

“Aunt Daphne told me.”

“Then why aren’t you yelling at her?” she said, pointing at the door.

“First, I need you to go upstairs. I will talk to you after I get done talking to her.”

“Fine, but she better be in trouble for life,” she said before stomping up the stairs.

Once he heard her door slam, he knocked on the bathroom door. “Come out now, we have to talk.”

Nina opened the door and slinked out. Her eyes were red from crying, which was surprising, she was his tough one.

“Why did you read her journal?”

“I was worried. She’s getting sadder. I just wanted to make sure she wasn’t hurting herself anymore.”

Justin’s chest ached. They had found out Krista self-harmed a year ago. She was in counselling and everything now but he still worried. It had been Nina who had walked in on Krista while she was cutting. He knew where Nina was coming from, but this was about Krista’s privacy and comfort. She was talking to him honestly and last time she said was it was a struggle, but she hadn’t in months and her psychologist said to trust her more if she was speaking honestly to him. Rebuild the bond of trust that had been lost.

“I know you worry, I do too. But you can’t invade her privacy. You can always talk to her and ask her if she’s alright. But this wasn’t the way to do it. You’re grounded for a week for invading her privacy, but five days are suspended for your heart being in the right place.”

“So just the weekend?”

“Yeah. I love you, you know that, right?”

“Of course, Dad. I just wish Krista would be alright. I know something is making her sad, but she just won’t tell us. I think if she did, she would be happier.”

“I know. We just have to go at her speed though, right?”

Nina nodded and headed upstairs. Problems, fights and all he still had the best kids that ever existed.

 

 


 

All the lights in the house were on when he pulled up. He wasn’t sure he wanted to go in. It was late, half of the kids should be asleep by now, but he doubted it. His mind drifted to a hot beach with a hot blond, Justin would look good getting sun on some tropical island.

The front door shot open and three of his kids ran out the door. He saw one holding a cell phone. The other two were chasing her. He considered getting back in his car and driving away, the family would make sure the kids were taken care of. He could be in a plane on his way to hole himself up in a shack somewhere in the middle of Siberia before they knew it.

“Dad, save me,” Mindy, his twelve-year-old daughter, screeched as she hid behind him.

Lola, his fifteen-year-old daughter and Adam, his thirteen-year old son came to a stop in front of him, glaring at Mindy, who was peeking around him.

“What’s going on?” He was too tired for this. It was late and if it weren’t for the well-lit driveway, he wouldn’t have seen the scene very easily.

“She took a picture of me,” Lola said, her hands on her hips. Lola was tall, thin with dark blonde hair. She had begged Brian to let her model and he finally gave in after she turned fifteen. She also had a few social media pages that were pretty popular. Brian had all the information to all of them, he told her it was the only way he would allow it. He wasn’t really worried about her; she was more like him than Lindsay. One day she would be a shark at whatever career she picked.

“What kind of picture?” he asked. He didn’t trust his kids not to try and post inappropriate pictures of each other to upset them.

“She was eating chips and watching a movie,” Mindy sneered. “She had food all over her face.”

“And?” He didn’t see a problem with this.

“She’s going to post it. Everyone will see me…eating.”

She was as vain as he was, and he wasn’t sure he could do anything about it.

Looking at Mindy. “Delete the picture.”

“But Dad,” she whined.

“Now. You wouldn’t like someone taking pictures of you and posting them without your permission, would you?” He then looked at Adam. “What’s your dog in this fight?”

“It’s my phone.”

“Where’s yours?” Brian asked Mindy.

“Umm…I kind of lost it.”

“I knew you were too young for one. Give your brother his phone, Adam delete the picture and Lola, eating isn’t a crime.” He knew she didn’t have an eating problem, but she was extremely cautious of what she ate. But she did allow herself treats when watching movies which she rarely did. He didn’t want that to stop because she was scared a sibling would embarrass her. It already felt like his three oldest had one foot out the door, he didn’t want it to happen faster than it should.

As he walked inside, he wished he were on that plane again. The house was a disaster. Not wanting to deal with it after such a relaxing night, he headed upstairs. Tomorrow was Saturday and they could clean then. His mind went back to the blond man from earlier. Justin. He hadn’t ever felt that instant attraction on a deeper level, but he had with him. He wondered if it was too soon to call about a date.

 

 

 

Stars by Willameana
Author's Notes:

Question. Do you think a sort of roster is needed to know who all the kids are? I have one for my own help but I could post it if you think it's a good idea. 

 

 

 

The next day he had all the kids cleaning, none were happy about it.

“I don’t see why I have to clean. I didn’t make a mess and our room is already clean,” Gus said.

Gus was his seventeen-year-old and the one that Brian butted heads with the most. Soon he would be off to college and he would miss him…he guessed. It’s what everyone says, you miss your kids when they leave. He thought about shipping every last one of them off to boarding school a few times a week. Well, not the littles, Alicia his eight-year-old daughter, Logan his six-year-old son and Leia his three-year-old daughter.

“I don’t care who made the mess, everyone is helping clean it up,” he said as he cleaned something sticky off the table.

“I’m going out with friends tonight,” Gus said as he pulled the cushions off the couch to clean under them.

“That’s fine as long as the house is clean by then,” he told him.

“I’m going out too,” Lola said.

“Me three,” Eric, his sixteen-year-old son said.

“I’m going over Jenna’s,” Mindy added.

That just left him with his ten-year-old twins, Noreen and Natasha, Alicia, Logan and Leia. With only five of them he might actually try and take them out. He had been feeling bad about not getting the kids out to socialize them outside of school and their activities, but ten kids is an insane number to take out. He had bought a fifteen passage van years ago to take them all with him, but it was a hassle still.  

 

 


 

Justin decided to take his four youngest to a star show at the planetarium. He’s been promising his eight-year-old, Mitch that he would take him when things calmed down. Now Justin knew that would never happen, he might as well take him while he was young enough to think Justin was an amazing dad for taking them. The four oldest all had other things they wanted to do. One had a date, one hanging out with friends, and two were sleeping over at a mutual friend’s house.

“Dad, is it time to leave yet?” Mitch asked, bouncing on his toes. Mitch always had his nose in a book, while he wasn’t as socially awkward as Krista he was just as shy. Krista and Mitch were his two introverts while the other six were very much extroverts.

“Almost, make sure your brother and sisters have their shoes.” He was dropping Bea off at his sister’s. While his parents cut him off, as soon as she turned eighteen, she reached out to him. She’s the fun aunt and just got hired on at a law firm, she hopes it helps as she finishes law school.

He went out to make sure his van would start. On more than one occasion one kid or sometimes two would leave a light on in the van causing his battery to die. Too many times he had been late to work or late driving kids to activities. All his school age kids rode the bus, his younger two he took to nursery school. But he had to get a van, it was a ten seat so just large enough to fit all his kids, him plus one person more. He had hoped when he bought it maybe he could meet someone and that person could sit there, making his family complete. But then he looked at his eight children and thought he couldn’t get more complete than that. He couldn’t do anything alone, so he was never lonely. All the kids had their own beds but at least four of them found themselves sleeping in his.

Luck was on his side, the van started on the first try. He hadn’t done anything with the kids in a long time. Too many kids and too much work to keep everything from going crazy. When Sadie was a baby George wanted to do something fun with all the kids. Krista, Nina and Freddie were all so small Justin didn’t think it was a good idea, but George want to do it. They took them to Disneyland, and it was a complete disaster. Krista threw up after just one ride, Nina was scared of all the characters and Freddie wouldn’t let him put him down, which was hard when he had a six-month-old to care for.

Going back inside he found Mitch putting on Bea’s shoes, badly. Justin laughed as Bea pulled off the shoe that Mitch just put on. “Just leave them off. She doesn’t need them. Go get Hannah and Lucas and tell them it’s time to go.”

Giggling kids came running down the stairs, Hannah, his three-year-old daughter a little slower than the rest because her shorter legs.

“What are you wearing, Hannah?”

She was wearing a blue short with one of Lucas’ shirts, it was an old one that was torn and tattered.

“I’m pretty,” she said, twirling.

“Yes, you are but you need clothes without holes. You can keep the shorts, but you need to put on another shirt, one of yours,” he told her. “Help her get a new shirt, Mitch,” he told him.

“We have to hurry, Dad,” Mitch said before running back upstairs.

Mitch came back downstairs moments later with a white shirt that had a Pride flag on it, a gift from a woman at one of the marches. She saw the kids and just lost her mind over them. All their cheeks were pinched and face paint that Justin had put on was fawned over. He marched with the Birther Fathers, a strange group but he was one of them. There were probably lots more men that could give birth but hard to tell when they never have a chance to accidently get pregnant.

Once the kids were loaded into the van, he blocked out the whining, Hannah always whined in the van. She didn’t like car rides but at least they didn’t make her sick.

Molly was waiting outside her apartment building when he got there, so all he had to do was get Bea out of her carseat and give her to Molly.

“Where’s her diaper bag?” Molly asked.

Justin’s eyes widened. “I forgot her bag.”

“Don’t worry, Dad. I got it,” Mitch said, carrying the bag with a bear print on it.

“Where would I be without you?” Justin asked, smiling at his son.

“You always forget something,” Mitch said smiling back at him. It was true, with so many kids he never had everything he needed for them.

“Say bye bye to daddy,” Molly said, getting Bea to wave at him.

“Ba Da,” Bea said.

The kids waved goodbye to their sister and Justin pulled away from the curb. He was running a little late but had already gotten the tickets online. Mitch was already starting to worry about missing the beginning of the show.

“Don’t worry, we’ll get there on time,” he told Mitch.

“Daddy, I’m hungry,” Lucas whined.

“We’ll eat after the show. Remember we talked about this?”

“I know,” he said with a sigh. “Hey, I got a new joke. Wanna hear?”

Justin inwardly groaned. Lucas was his little jokester. He repeated ever joke he heard a hundred and one times, he also played pranks on everyone in the family. Thankfully, it was nothing more than pretending he broke something of his siblings just to yell ‘fooled you’.

“Sure, go for it.”

“What’s worse than finding a worm in your apple?” Lucas asked.

“I don’t know. What?”

“Finding half a worm.”

Justin laughed, that was a new joke. He needed to prepare himself to hear it for the next week straight though.

“That’s funny, Lucky. Where’d you hear it?”

“A boy in my class, his name is Logan.”

“I haven’t heard of Logan before. Is he new?”

“No, but he moved from Mrs. White’s class to mine.”

“Oh, why is that?”

“He said his dad told the office. His dad said Mrs. White was homophomiac.”

“Homophobic. Yeah, I would have pulled you out of that class too.”

“He said it means she didn’t like boys who like boys or girls who like girls or anything not the status quo. What does status quo mean?”

“It means normality. It’s just words, it doesn’t mean anything really. Remember that, there is no normal just people pretending to be what they think normal is.”

The parking garage was packed when they arrived, he was lucky though and found a spot next to another van, it was a newer model, more expensive and bigger than his. Probably belonged to some charity or something like that, maybe a church.

“Alright, no one runs off and always stay in my sight.”

Call him a paranoid parent but he wanted them in his sight. He stayed up watching too many true crimes shows to be fine with them running around. He blames growing up with stranger danger.

“Hold my hand,” he told Hannah. The boys walked beside him as they made their way for the street.

He just hoped he wasn’t making a mistake, taking three kids to a show should be child’s play compared to his usual day.

 

 


 

He already knew he had fucked up. Alicia and Logan were fighting the whole drive. Noreen and Natasha were also fighting, which wasn’t unheard of, but they usually were of the same mind. Leia started whining, he should have found a sitter for her. But no, he had the genius idea to take his newly three-year-old to the planetarium. He just hoped she fell asleep during the show because if she didn’t it would be a nightmare; she didn’t have the attention span to stay for a whole hour during the show.

Before he left the house, he made sure all the kids were in their best clothes. Leia was wearing a cute red dress with white flower print. Logan was wearing khakis and a green polo. The twins were in matching black slacks and purple shirts. Alicia had on a green dress that brought out her hazel eyes, green was always good with her red hair.

“Can we get pizza after the show?” Natasha asked.

“Yes, pizza,” Noreen seconded.

“No, I want Chinese,” Alicia said.

“No, I want hamburgers,” Logan put his two cents in.

“If you can’t decide what to get as a group, we will eat sandwiches at home.”

The groans were instantaneous. He hoped they worked something out because he really didn’t want to make sandwiches when they got home. They all liked different ones, even the twins.

They were one of the first to arrive, so they got in easily. It was mostly young adults and old couples. No small children but his. It looked like teens wouldn’t be caught dead there. He remembered when he and Michael were teens, they’d get high and have Keith, the guy who cleaned the auditorium sneak them in to watch the laser shows.

As the kids sat down the old couple behind them started to mutter about loud kids. He ignored them; he didn’t want the kids to pay attention to the couple.

“That’s Lucas from my class,” Logan said, dragging Brian’s mind back to the present.

He looked to where Logan was pointing and saw Justin, the blond from the night before. There was three kids with him, a little girl a little older than Leia, a boy Logan’s age and a boy a few years older than Logan.

They were headed to the same aisle that Brian and his kids were in. Justin saw him and Brian could swear he saw the man blush. Justin sat down beside him, and his kids sat beside him. Brian noticed the little girl not wanting to sit in her seat, so Justin put her on his lap. Seeing that Leia thought that was the right idea and climbed on his lap.

“Fancy seeing you here,” Brian said.

“Thought it was a good idea. The kids had started barking at passersby’s, I should socialize them more.”

Brian laughed. It was true kids were animals. His more than others.

The lights dimmed and it was time for the show. Justin smiled at him before standing up and telling his kids to move down one seat. Then put his little girl in the seat that he had been in. Then Justin leaned down to talk to Leia. “Do you want to sit with Hannah?”

Brian was shocked when Leia nodded and climbed over the arm rest and sat down beside the other little girl. Justin adjusted the seat so the girls could lie back and watch the show before taking the seat beside them.

“Wake up.”

Brian opened his eyes; he couldn’t believe he fell asleep. Looking over he searched for his kids. They were staring at him. Then looking over at where Leia had been setting, he saw Justin on the other side of them smiling. Leia was fine and giggling with the other little girl.

“I can’t believe I feel asleep.”

“It’s alright. I made sure we didn’t have any escapes. You must have been tired. Also, it was a little boring, I lost one to the show. Justin pointed to the side of him and Brian saw that the little boy Logan called Lucas was sleeping with his thumb in his mouth.

“I missed the whole thing,” Brian said, not that he really cared. The draw when he was younger was the pot and flashing lights.  

“You were lucky, it was the dullest narration I’ve ever heard,” Justin said.

Brian laughed. “What are you and your group doing after this?”

“Promised the kids we’d go eat.”

“Same. Where are you going?”

“They haven’t decided. I’m tempted to just go home and make them grilled cheese and tomato soup.”

“There’s a little diner on Liberty Avenue. I have an in with the owner. Want to try it?”

“Liberty Diner? I haven’t been there in a while. Sure, sounds great,” Justin said smiling.

 

 


 

They put Mitch, Lucas and Brian’s four older ones in a booth. Justin, Brian and the two little girls sat at another booth. It was still early in the night, so a lot of the partiers weren’t out yet.

A waitress came over, she had long brunette hair and a nice smile.

“Hey, Kiki, the boss in?” Brian asked her.

“She’s in her office making out next week’s order sheet. What can I get you all?”

“I’ll have a hamburger and fries with a coke, no ice. She’ll have the chicken fingers. Also, whatever the kids over there want is on my tab,” Justin said pointing towards the kids table.

“I’ll have usual and Leia will have the mac and cheese,” Brian told her.

After the waitress left to take the kids order, Brian and Justin could finally talk.

“Three kids, they’re very well behaved,” Brian said.

“Don’t let that fool you, they have their moments. Also, I have more than three. The others are with friends tonight and one with my sister.”

“Oh, really?” Brian asked, eyebrow raised.

“Yep, eight ranging from one to fifteen.”

Brian started laughing. “Of course.”

“What does that mean?”

“I’ve got ten, ages three to seventeen. I think we’d be insane to date.”

Of course, it had been too perfect. Gorgeous, smart with a great career and kids. He would have to have a baseball team. Nothing could go his way.

“Yeah, I’d have to agree. I thought maybe you had one or two kids. But your ten and my eight, that criminally insane to even consider,” Justin agreed.

“Logan said Lucas is in his class. I wonder how many other kids have shared the same class.”

“I realize now I don’t even know your last name,” Justin said, as Kiki put the food on the table.

“I want chicken,” Leia cried when she saw Hannah’s chicken fingers.

“I want mac and cheese,” Hannah whined.

Brian smiled at him and rolled his eyes before grabbing the plates. He put half of Leia’s mac and cheese on Hannah’s plate and put three of Hannah’s chicken fingers on Leia’s plate.

“Problem solving for the win,” Justin said.

“I knew there was a reason for my fancy college degree,” Brian said, grinning. Justin liked his grin; it was wicked in a way.

Justin looked over to make sure the other kids had their food and were getting along. He was glad to see they were smiling and laughing.

“So, you have a baby?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, Baby Bea is one. She’s my last, no more.”

“I bet that’s what you said after the last seven.”

Justin laughed. “You know it.”

“Do you mind if I ask how you got so many?” Brian asked.

“Same as you, I presume.”

“You said your oldest is fifteen, that means you were what fifteen when you had them?”

“Yeah, I just wanted to keep my boyfriend, so I had sex, even though I wasn’t ready for it. I didn’t know I was going to have a baby until Krista was trying to make her escape.”

Brian’s face paled some. “You’re a birther?”

“Yeah, that’s one of the nicer words people call people like me. You would think the LGBTQ+ community would be more accepting, but it is what it is.”

“Do they all have the same father?”

“Blunt, I see. No, eight children four fathers. Four are my high school boyfriend, Ethan’s. Two are a man I lived with for a while, he took good care of us and made sure the kids had enough money to live in the lap of luxury, not that I let them. I won’t have spoiled brats in my house. Then two are one-night stands.”

“Haven’t you ever heard of protection?”

Now Justin was getting pissed. He could deal with questions. Hell, he could deal with people being judgy about have so many children by different men but this asshole thinking he was unsafe, that was too much.

“Maybe with Ethan, I didn’t know better but after him I always used protection. The thing is accidents happen. But I wouldn’t trade any of them. I just seem to have more than most.”

“I didn’t mean to pry. Everyone says I’m an asshole, I guess they’re right. I have no room to judge. I used protection every time and my wife still got pregnant ten times.”

“Wife?” Damn, Justin couldn’t believe he misread the situation so much.

“Yes, one stupid night in college lead to the birth of our oldest. I married her because she begged me, not out of obligation. I’m too much of a selfish ass for that. I used protection like I said but I wonder now if she had done things to them. I would check but never found anything wrong with them but what are the odds the times we did have sex a child was produced?”

“Well, not impossible, my kids are to show for that. It looks like the kids are finishing eating. I think when we leave tonight, we should just leave it at that.”

Brian nodded. “Yeah, I can’t see this working.”

 

 

Camp by Willameana
Author's Notes:

 

 

 

 

 

Justin’s Kids

Krista-15 Blonde hair, blue eyes 

Nina-14 dark hair, brown eyes

Freddie-13 dark hair and blue eyes 

Sadie-11 blonde and blue eyes

Mitch-8 blond hair blue eyes

Lucas-6 blond with blue eyes

Hannah-3 dark hair and dark eyes

Beatrice-1 blonde and blue eyes

 

Brian’s Kids

Gus—17 Dark hair and hazel eyes

Eric-16 blond and dark eyes

Lola-15 tall, blonde, blue eyes

Adam- 13 dark hair and dark eyes

Mindy-12 dark hair and hazel eyes

Noreen and Natasha- Identical twins 10 dark hair dark eyes

Alicia- 8 Red hair and hazel eyes

Logan-6 blond and hazel eyes

Leia-3 light brown hair and dark eyes

 

Brian needed a vacation, far, far away, possibly somewhere with alcohol. That was never going to happen because wherever he went, he had to take ten kids with him. He loved his kids, but they were very taxing. The school year had just ended, now summer was upon them.

Gus and Eric were going to be camp counselors at Camp Axlewood. Lola, Adam and Mindy were all going there as campers. Noreen and Natasha were going to Camp Visionary, a creative arts camp, it too was overnight, a month long just like the older kids. Alicia and Logan were going to day camp and Leia was going to her daycare’s camp. He had to keep them all active or he would lose control of the house and madness would reign free.

“Dad, have you seen my running shoes?” Gus asked, coming down the stairs looking panicked.

“Where did you last have them?”

“If I knew that, why would I fucking ask?”

Brian was never one to care if his kids cursed but he might change his way of thinking, if his son’s attitude didn’t change.

“I don’t think I heard you right,” he said, looking at him with what his kids called his ‘pissed off’ face.

“I didn’t mean to yell but we’ve got to be at the bus in an hour,” Gus said, rightly looking ashamed.

“It’s fine. Last time I saw them they were on the back deck with mud on them.”

Gus groaned and headed off for the back deck. The big kids leave in an hour, the twins in two hours and the others didn’t start day camp until the next day. After today for a whole month he was only responsible for three kids. Maybe he’d be able to get all the work that he hadn’t been able to in the last few months done.

He hired people at his agency that he could trust and that were the best, because of that he could do most of his work from home when things got too hectic to go to the office.

“Daddy, can Lucas spend the night tomorrow?” Logan asked.

“You have camp all week.”

“Can he spend the night Friday?”

“I’ll call his father, but I can’t promise anything.”

“YAY! Thank you.”

Four hours later Brian was sitting in his office and the house was quiet. It was never quiet. But now he had seven children off to camp and three spending some time with Lindsay’s sister. About once a year she got sentimental and wanted to spend time with her nieces and nephews. She wasn’t a bad person, but Brian couldn’t stand her. She’d been married more times that Elizabeth Taylor and didn’t agree with how he lives his life or raises his children. One day a year wasn’t that bad, usually he doesn’t like it, but this would be the first time in a while that he had the house all to himself.

His phone rang, causing him to jump slightly. He answered before it could wake anyone up before he remembered he was alone.

“Kinney speaking,” he answered.

“Brian,” the gentle voice said. He recognized it instantly.

“Justin, what’s going on?”

“I’m sorry to ask but are you able to meet me at the hospital?”

Worry filled him. “Are you alright? The kids?”

“I’m fine, my son Freddie broke his arm. My sister is with the kids and my friend Daphne is at work. I don’t have many people I trust with my kids. I know we really don’t know each other but I was wondering if you could come and stay with Freddie while I go take care of an issue with Krista.”

Brian smiled. “Well, all my kids are gone, and I wasn’t sure what to do with myself. Might as well babysit.”

“He’s thirteen, just make sure you don’t call it babysitting.”

“I’ll be sure not to utter the word.”

“Thank you. I’m at Alleghany General emergency room. I’ll tell them to let you back when you arrive.”

“Will do.”

Half an hour later he found Justin and his son Freddie’s room.

“Hey,” he said, gaining their attention.

Justin looked relieved, it made Brian wonder what was happening with his daughter.

“You’re here. Thank you so much, I’m so sorry about this.”

“Sorry’s bullshit. It’s fine. Go take care of what you need. We’ll be here when you get back.”

“Thanks. They are supposed to put his arm in a cast and let us go but they are running seriously behind.”

“If that happens, we’ll call you and tell you to come back.”

Justin smiled and Brian returned it. If he knew Justin and the boy better, he would have told Justin just to let the staff know he could take the boy home. But because he didn’t, Brian didn’t think it was right to ask for permission to take his teenage child out of the hospital with a stranger to him.

Now he was alone with a kid he didn’t know. What had he agreed to? He sat down in the uncomfortable chair and looked at the boy sitting on the exam table who looked to be trying to use his phone with his non-dominant hand. His arm was in a splint and he had some blood on his white shirt. He had dark brown hair and blue eyes; his hair was cut in a shaggy style that he wouldn’t allow his kids to have.

“What happened?” he asked to fill the silence.

“I fucked up doing a kickflip. The guys are going to laugh their asses off. My baby brother can do a kickflip.”

“You skate a lot?”

“It’s my life.”

“I thought skateboarding went out in the nineties?”

“No, man. I do other extreme sports too, but skating is my passion.”

“Wow sounds like it. How are your grades?”

“Oh god, you sound like my dad. He’s always bitching at me to study. I’m never going to be Krista; I just don’t care about grades. I’m not going to college.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Pro-skater.”

If this were his child, he’d make a remark about moving to California so when he’s homeless he doesn’t freeze. But this wasn’t his child, so he bit his tongue.

“What does your dad think about that?”

“Which one?” Freddie asked defensively.

“Justin.”

“He’s supportive, he knows what it’s like to want something people think is stupid and he’ll never live on.”

“What’s that?”

Freddie looked at him oddly. “I thought you knew my dad?”

“Not very well.”

“He’s an artist, a damn good one. But that’s not what he does for a living, he does sell some work, but it doesn’t keep us in clothes and food. He runs an art gallery. The Harold House.”

“I’ve heard of it, it’s good.” He thought about how defensive Freddie was when he asked about how his father felt, it was clearly not at Justin. “What about your other father?” he asked. Maybe he could find out a little about Justin.

“He’s a tool, and I hate him. Last time I saw him he said he wanted me to play an instrument. I hate that classical crap, but I wanted him to hang out with me. So, I tried, he gave me one of his practice violins and started training me. I was nine and stupid. Everything I did was wrong, and he was mean about how bad I was. Said stuff like Dad must have lied and I wasn’t his. When he stole our vacation money and ran away, I didn’t miss him. Just sad we didn’t get to go on vacation that year. It was alright in the end because my dad had morning sickness around that time anyway.”

“He does sound like an asshole.”

Freddie nodded. “I don’t know who has it worse. Krista, Nina, Hannah and I that have that waste of space as a father or Sadie and Mitch because their other father is dead. Then there is Lucas and Bea, they won’t ever know their other fathers.”

“How do you know?” How much of his personal life does Justin share with his children?

“I heard Dad talking to my Aunt Daphne. He thought we were asleep. He had said that he met Lucas’ father at a bar and had a one-night-stand. He just found out that he was pregnant with Bea, he said he never saw the guy’s face. Someone he met at a Halloween party at some club called Babylon. They were both wearing costumes. Dad was wearing Joker makeup and the other man was wearing Batman costume.”

Brian froze, he remembered back two years ago. He had sex with a man dressed up as the Joker at Babylon and he was dressed as Batman.”

“How old is Bea?”

“One.”

Oh god, this couldn’t be happening.

 


Justin just parked his car and headed back into the hospital. Krista was all settled and fine now at least for the moment. He worried the most about her, because of her depression and social issues. Freddie was his most likely to break a bone, today showing that but he wasn’t worried for him. Freddie was a athletic and fun-loving kid. Sadie was the one he thought he needed to save bail money up for just in case. Nina was the one he worried would be taken advantage of, Mitch was the one he was worried would live in his head most of the time and not make friends. Lucas, Hannah and Baby Bea were still coming into their own. All his kids had their problems and issues, but it was Krista he was worried about that would harm herself.

Which is why left his son in the hands of a near stranger to get to her when she called telling him that she felt like hurting herself. She had a history of self-harm and other things, so he had to get to her quick.

He had picked Krista up at the park that she was sitting in and took her home, they talked, and he promised to make her an emergency appointment with her doctor. His sister would have left Nina to watch the kids and get her but worried that she would say something wrong. Being a parent was like walking a minefield on a normal day, you didn’t know when you could trip something and cause a disaster.

He heard laughing when he neared Freddie’s room.

“You didn’t? That’s crazy. My dad would murder me if I did something like that at school.”

“My dad didn’t care as long as he wasn’t bothered at the bar. Now my friend Mikey’s mom, she was pissed enough for everyone.”

“What did she do?”

“She grounded me.”

“How did she ground you if she wasn’t your mom?”

“Because she grounded Mikey, she knew I wouldn’t go out without him. I was young and it was important that I had him around me, felt less lonely.”

“I couldn’t fell lonely if I tried. I share a room with my two little brothers. The girls are two to a room but that’ll change when Bea is big enough to have her own bed, then she’ll share with Hannah and Sadie will share with Krista and Nina.”

“Sounds like it’s all planned.”

That was when Justin chose to make his presence known. “It is, we have had a family discussion about it.”

“Ah, you’re back. Everything alright?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, everything is good.” He saw Freddie relax. All his children that were old enough knew to look out for their big sister. Which was why he was surprised to have her and Nina arguing the other week. But sisters and brothers were never going to always get along. “Thank you so much for stepping in and hanging out with Freddie while I took care of that.”

“No problem. I need to speak with you outside the room though. It’s private.”

“Sure. I’ll be right back in,” he told Freddie.

He shut the door behind them, making sure Freddie can’t hear whatever Brian has to say.

“Is everything alright?” he asked, his eyes drifted from Brian to the nurses and staff working in the ER. He hated coming to the ER but with eight children he had been more than he ever thought he would.

“Freddie said something that had me wondering. He told me about your youngest and how she came to be.”

Justin could feel his anger growing. This man had a lot of nerve to talk about him.

“You listen here-

“Wait, first let me tell you a day in my life. On Halloween two years ago my friend Michael went as Robin and I went as Batman to the Halloween party at Babylon. I met a guy dressed up as the Joker and took him into the backroom where I shoved him down on his knees. After he blew me, I turned him around and-

“Stop! I don’t need to hear anymore.”

“If you are sure that’s when you got pregnant, then I think your youngest daughter is mine.”

Now Justin’s hackles were truly up. Who did this guy think he was?

“Even if you are her sperm donor doesn’t mean you’re her father.”

“I want to meet her.”

“No.”

“What? I’m good enough to watch your son but not meet my daughter.”

“Stop calling her that. She’s my daughter.”

“Listen, I’m not trying to take her from you. I have ten kids, that’s more than enough but I would like to meet her. I think we should do a DNA test.”

“I don’t know,” he said, deflating some. He didn’t want to be the reason Bea didn’t know her other father. Look how many times he had let Ethan back in their lives because he thought their kids needed him.

“Please.”

“Alright, set up the DNA test and I’ll take her. If she is proven to be yours, we’ll discuss you seeing her.”

“Thank you.”

 


It had been two weeks since he had seen Brian. True to his word Brian had the DNA test set up the next day. Justin took her to have her tested and now it was a waiting game. He expected the results any day now. A part of him wanted Brian to be Bea’s other father because then she wouldn’t have any questions about her parentage. Maybe even have a relationship with him. That would leave only Lucas with a mystery father, and then it wouldn’t be such a mystery. Justin could go back to the bar and ask around. Find Ned or whatever his name was. He just had never cared before, Lucas hadn’t asked about him. Justin assumed Lucas probably thought Ethan was his father even though he hadn’t told him that.

“Sadie, those dishes better be in the dishwasher in the next few minutes,” he told her.

All his kids had their own chores, it was the only way to keep the house from falling into despair. Now that summer was in full swing keeping the house clean was even harder. There was sleeping in, groggy kids, fighting and playing on electronics late into the night, then start all over again the next day. Years ago, he thought about maybe day camp or something like that, but he just couldn’t do it. He liked having his kids around. And with his job it was a luxury to spend time with them. He had to travel a lot and he felt like a terrible father. But during the summers he had more help than he needed at the art gallery, students working on degrees. It was his only real time to be with his kids. Then he looked at their zombie eyes and wondered why.   

“Dad, can we go to the pool?” Freddie asked.

“You can’t get your cast wet,” he told his oldest son.

“I can put a trash bag over it and tape it up, like I do for the shower.”

“Fine but only after you do your chores.”

There was a community pool in walking distance. It really was the only good thing about the HOA. He hated all the rules he had to abide by to just live there and that witch of a HOA president was always over complaining about his yard or his kids. He once got a fine because Lucas left his toy truck in the yard because a storm was rolling in. He could spit nails when he got that fine, not even a warning. He regretted buying the house after Brenda became HOA president.

When he moved in it was a nice woman named Kat, but she had to sell and move closer to her parents. There was also Brenda’s daughter who was head over heels in love with Freddie, who sadly was a late bloomer. If it wasn’t about skateboarding or other extreme sports his son just didn’t care. Justin was sure when he did show interest in someone with would be someone into extreme sports like himself. So, Brenda had assumed that Freddie was being a jerk to her daughter for not liking her back. Justin had told her that teens were fickle creatures, it was best not to question their feelings, she called Justin some things and he went home and painted a portrait of her in hell, it made him feel better

“I go swimming,” Hannah said.

“Nope, I’m not going swimming, I have too much work to do. Only kids that can swim can go to the pool.” Which was only his four oldest. The younger ones could technically swim but unless or another adult was there, they couldn’t swim, pool rules. He was glad because he didn’t like the thought of them there without him.

“Mails here,” Nina said, coming back inside the house. She had been mowing the lawn, usually Freddie’s chore because he always asked for the chores outside. But since he got hurt it was now Nina’s. “Did you have a DNA test done?” she asked looking at an envelope.

His heart started to beat wildly. He hadn’t told the kids because he didn’t want to upset them if there was no reason. But he wouldn’t lie to them.

“Yes, Baby Bea.”

“Why?” Krista asked.

“A man who might be her father, let’s leave it at that.”

“Well, opened it,” Nina said thrusting the letter at him.

He looked around and had all attention on him, even the little ones who he knew didn’t understand what was going on. Slowly, he opened the envelope. His eyes scanned the letter. Brian Kinney is the other father of Beatrice Rose Taylor.

“So?” Nina asked.

“She’s his daughter,” he said numbly.

“Whose daughter?” Freddie asked.

“Brian,” was all he said.

 


Brian got his mail; he was expecting the DNA test any day now. The little kids were at day camp. When he looked in the mailbox, he saw the envelope from the DNA lab. He told himself he didn’t want another child but as he read that she was his, he realized he did want another. Then something occurred to him, he was going to have to tell his kids they have a sister they didn’t know about; this was going to suck.

He called Justin and asked to meet him at the diner to discuss the situation. He wanted to meet Bea but didn’t know how to ask if Justin could bring her. He asked Ted to pick up the littles if the meeting ran late, but he didn’t tell him why.

He was looking at his phone when the bell chimed over the door. Looking up he saw Justin carrying a little blonde girl with a pink dress and pink headband on. He had used this trick with Leia because everyone assumed, she was a boy because it took forever for her hair to grow.

Standing up he greeted Justin and the girl, who he assumed was baby Bea.

“Thanks for coming on so short notice. I’m glad you brought her.”

“I said you could meet her if she was proven to be your daughter. Do you want to hold her?”

“Yes, please.”

Justin handed over the little girl, who giggled in Brian’s arms.

“She likes taller people holding her. My friend Clay is like six-four, she loves when he picks her up.”

Brian bristled slightly at this man holding his child. But he knew that was crazy. He just met her and didn’t even know about her until two weeks ago.

They sat down at the booth and Brian sat her down beside him. She stood up on the seat and started to look around.

“Do you know what you want to do?” Justin asked, shocking Brian.

“Do?”

“Are you going to sue me for visitation?”

“Why would I do that?”

“Sorry, I didn’t have a great experience with one of my exes. Ethan was is an asshole, I just was too young and stupid to know at the time. Then when I was older, I just wanted him to be a father to the children he already had with me. I don’t regret Hannah, but I hated that I let Ethan come around to hurt my kids again.”

“I’m going to put my cards on the table here. I want Bea in my life, and I don’t want to be a every other weekend father. That might work for some but not me.”


Justin’s heart started to pound. Was he going to try and take her away from him after promising he wouldn’t?

“What?” he asked hoarsely.

“Let me finish before you start to freak out. I don’t date and my sex life is pretty hit or miss, has been since my wife died. I’ve always known I was gay, experimenting in college when she got pregnant. I was talked into marrying her and being a family. We both still were able to fuck who we wanted.” Brian had covered Bea’s ears when he said fuck. “But it wasn’t a real marriage. I have questions how we kept on conceiving so easily and everything. So much that over the last two weeks I’ve looked into it. My wife had our condoms ordered and they came to the house so even when she died the condoms still came. I used a different brand when I went out by myself but after she died, I’d been so busy I hadn’t had sex until that night. Instead of going to the store to get my brand condoms, I grabbed the lasted delivered condoms, and that’s when you and I got together.

“I looked into this brand, turns out there are tons of lawsuits. They are like sixty-three percent effective. I don’t know if Lindsay knew that or not but I’m pretty sure that is why I’ve got so many kids. I should have questioned it more when she got pregnant with Eric. But I guess I was in some kind of depressive state, just letting things happen. It was like I didn’t wake up until after Linds died. I failed my kids, but I’m done with that. So, like I was saying, I don’t want to be a weekend dad.”

“What are you suggesting?”

“Let’s get married.”

“WHAT?” Justin shouted. Bea jumped and started to cry. “I’m sorry Bea, do you want fries?” She nodded and stopped crying now only a sniffle here and there.

Brian waved over a waiter and ordered some fries and a water for Bea. “Do you want anything?” he asked Justin.

Justin shook his head, his stomach was in knots already, he couldn’t eat a thing. “What did you mean get married?”

“Just like it sounded like. I know it’s not what you would expect but just think about it. I know the idea of twenty people living under the same roof is a little extreme but with two seasoned pros like us, I think we could do it.”

“So what? A marriage of convenience?”

“I guess if you look at it that way. But as I said, I have ten kids…well eleven now. No sane guy is going to look at me twice. But you have eight kids and one of them is mine. I think we could work together. We know we’re sexually compatible.”

“Having sex against a wall in a dirty backroom doesn’t really prove that.”

“I want someone to grow old with. There I said it. I’m tired of feeling alone when everyone else in my life is happy. I swore I would die single, but people change…I changed. I know we don’t have those kinds of feelings yet, but I think we could.”

“I’ll think about it.” Has he lost his mind? Think about it. “Have you told your kids about Bea?”

“No, I have to wait until the older ones get back from camp. That’s another two weeks away. I was thinking maybe my younger kids and your kids could get to know each other.”

“I guess.” He knew he was in deep trouble with Brian smiled. It was a beautiful one with a tinge of a smirk behind it.

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

I guess everyone figured out my mystery Batman, huh? LOL. Hope you enjoyed the new chapter. 

Dinner by Willameana

 

 

Brian was looking for a house large enough for the twenty of them. Looking for at least six bedrooms, according to his math it was the least about of rooms they could live in. He had already made a chart according to age and gender. It was a lot of mixing of both families though, which could mean trouble. He had found one he loved, it was a six bed, nine bath, house. The kitchen had three dishwashers, double side fireplace, huge pantry, offset media nook with wrap around porch that extends to the family room. There was also the most amazing laundry chute that was designed into the house. All the rooms had walk-in closets. Not to mention a sauna, gym and workout room with deck. On the outside it had a pool and tennis court, because if he was going to spend a mint, he might as well make it for the best.

It was a dream home. He owned his house outright and had learned from Justin he had owned his too. The new house was more than he wanted to spend but if both he and Justin sold their houses; it could be worth it. Hell, it could work even if they didn’t sell. He was never going to live in squalor. He had to work ten times as hard to get as far as he did in life. Then there was Lindsay’s trust fund from her grandparents. It was something she wouldn’t have gotten if she had told them she was a lesbian. She spend her whole life trying to the daughter and granddaughter they wanted but she never could live up to their standards.

It’s why he donated as much as he did to LGBTQ+ charities. They didn’t know because he didn’t want them to cause problems with the kids, Lindsay’s sister did know but she kept it quiet. But after Lindsay died, her trust went to him. In truth with the amount it was he didn’t have to ever work again and still could send all his children to ivy league schools. But he had never been one for resting on his laurels.

He was meeting the realtor tomorrow and hoped he could get Justin to go with him. If this were going to work, he would need Justin on board with him.

His cell phone rang as it sat on his desk. Grabbing it, he answered it without looking. “Kinney speaking.”

“Hi Brian, this is Justin, I was wondering if you and your kids would like to come to dinner over at my house tonight. My kids would like to meet Bea’s other father, and Freddie has said you’re alright. That from him is a shining endorsement.”

“Sure, there are some things I’d like to talk to you about. What time?”

“Say five? That will give enough time for them to play and get to know each other before dinner.”

“Alright, text me your address and we’ll be there.”

“Great, see you then.”

 


He couldn’t believe what he had done. Asking Brian and his kids to the house, it was insanity. The sad thing was, he had thought about Brian’s offer and decided to take him up on it. He didn’t want to be alone for the rest of his life. One day his kids would grow up and leave, then he would be all alone. But if he married Brian, then he wouldn’t be alone. There wasn’t love or anything like that, but he was attracted to him and they did share a daughter. Not only that, he thought a second parent would help with his children.

But then he remembered that Brian wasn’t coming into the relationship empty handed, the man had ten children he was bringing with him. What would his older children think about this? He hadn’t brought the subject of marriage up to his own children. He hoped that this get together would work well and his kids and Brian’s younger ones got along.

Krista and Freddie were making the dinner. It was funny, he was an alright cook but both Krista and Freddie were great cooks. They could make delicious meals out of next to nothing. While George made sure he and the kids had enough money never to worry about it again, he didn’t want his kids to fall back on that. He didn’t want spoiled children and was thankful he didn’t have them. He had been spoiled his whole life until he had Krista and was thrown out. He had no survival skills or work ethic when he found himself out on his ass, he wouldn’t make the same mistake. He wanted them to be independent people.

“They’re here!” Lucas yelled, jumping up and down.

Justin looked out the window and sure enough a car had pulled into his driveway. Brian got out along with three kids, two girls and a boy. They were all dressed like they were going out to an expensive dinner. Justin looked at his kids in their summer clothes, spaghetti strap tops and shorts and felt like they were underdressed. Then he looked around his house and saw toys out, nice but old furniture and a few spots on the walls that had his children’s artwork on against his wishes. This wasn’t good, Brian Kinney was a refined man. Justin was a little boy playing house, just like his ex said.

While he had to put on an act at the gallery, it never felt real, like a mask he wore. When he left work, he left that attitude there. He never liked to dress up but had to for work. Every time he’d seen Brian, the man was dressed to kill, even when he showed up at the hospital. They weren’t compatible. Who had he been kidding?

The doorbell rang and Nina ran to the door to let their guests in. Nina had been the one the most excited to meet Bea’s other father. She told him that she was happy one of their other father’s was worth a damn. It made him feel bad, he had saddled her with Ethan, a man who didn’t care to know the amazing children he fathered.

“Good evening,” Nina greeted Brian his children.

“Hi,” he said with that smirk that made Justin’s stomach flutter.

“Let me introduce my children,” Justin said, coming up behind Nina. All his other children were milling awkwardly around behind him. “This is Nina, she was the editor of her school’s newspaper, only freshman ever given that position.”

“She caused massive anarchy,” Freddie said, smiling.

“IT WAS A TYPO!” Nina screamed.

Justin couldn’t believe Brian and his children had been there less than five minutes and this was happening.

“You have to admit, it was funny,” Krista said quietly.

“I have to know what it said,” Brian told him.

Nina huffed. “There was an opinion section, I was running short on time. So, I may have just skimmed the opinion an idiot junior submitted. I just made sure it didn’t have bad language, but this idiot decided to put his sexual exploits using euphemisms. I had four girls and four very pissed off boyfriends wanting to know the identity of the writer. Mr. Young already told me that I’ll never be editor again. But in all fairness, Mr. Young was supposed to look over my work.”

“As you can see there are a lot of feelings about this subject. Anyway, you know Freddie, Mitch, Lucas, Hannah and of course Baby Bea,” Justin said, taking Bea from Krista and handing her to Brian. “And this is my oldest Krista, she’s been on the A honor roll since she started school,” he said, going back to his eldest.

“She’s the one that looks the most like you,” Brian said.

“I know, she hates it.” Justin smiled at her, she really did hate that looked so similar. Mitch looked a little like him when he was a child, but Krista very much had his likeness. “Mitch why don’t you and the others show Alicia, Logan and Hannah the playroom. You can play until dinnertime, make sure you’re on your best behavior.”

“Do I have to play?” Mitch asked pouting some.

“Yes, now go.”

Mitch didn’t really like making friends, unlike Lucas who was a talkative little boy who loved everyone. The kids ran off for the playroom with Hannah and Leia trailing behind. Krista went back to the kitchen as did Freddie. Nina went in there too, but she wasn’t a cook, probably just wanted to leave the adults.

“Do you want to sit?” Justin asked Brian, cringing as he looked at his sofa. It wasn’t new or pretty. He didn’t think he should buy new or pretty with so many little kids. Drinks spilled, food dropped, and kids got sick.

“Sure,” Brian sat down, not commenting on the sofa. He still held Bea in his arms but as soon as he sat, she started to wiggle to get out of his arms.

“Sorry, she likes to be high up. The only time I can get her to cuddle is when she’s going to sleep.”

“Sounds like Leia when she was smaller. She’s very headstrong like her mother.”

Justin smiled, Brian had only talked a little bit of his wife and some of it wasn’t particularly good. He was glad Brian didn’t seem to just feel resentment to his wife, from the little that he had heard he knew that Brian had felt trapped into the marriage.

Justin could hear his teenagers giggling in the kitchen. Bea was toddling around; she would pick up a toy and bring it to Brian then go get another one. Brian would just smile and say thank you, Justin thought it was adorable. Justin started seeing features of Brian on her that he hadn’t noticed before. Her chin was all Brian’s, also the shape of her eyes.

“Have you decided?” Brian asked suddenly.

“Decided what?” Justin asked, confused.

“The marriage thing?”

“I don’t know, Brian. We’re such different people. You seem very Park Avenue and Green Acres.” Sue him, Baby Bea was enthralled with the show. He thought it might be the colors.

Brian shocked him by laughing. “What the hell kind of bullshit is that? I was raised by alcoholic parents in a house that should have been condemned. I’ve worked fucking hard for everything I’ve gotten. Nothing was ever handed to me, even Lindsay’s trust fund had strings attached. Now tell me, where the hell did you grow up? With your WASPish attitude I’m guessing gated community, private school and anything your heart desired. That was until you committed the sin of getting pregnant. How close am I?”

Justin could feel his blood pressure rising. “This was stupid, this whole thing was a waste.”

“What? Thinking I wouldn’t call out bullshit when I hear it? That’s not me. If we do this, you have to have a thick skin. I have the ten worst kids on the planet and they don’t hold any punches. They are mean, spiteful and crude little fuckers but they are also the ten most hard working, bright, ambitious ten kids you’ll ever meet. Alright maybe the nine most, Leia ate dog food at my friends house yesterday.”

Against his will Justin laughed. “Why do you even want married if I’m am a pampered brat?”

“You’re not, not anymore. I just don’t want you thinking this is going to be easy if we do this. We will be putting together twenty vastly different personalities, that includes us, into one house. I want to marry  you, yes a part of it is because you have my child but I think if anyone can survive a marriage with my asshole self and my kids, I think it’s you.”

“Why the not.”

“What?”

“Let’s get married.”

Meeting the Family by Willameana

 

 

 

“Don’t you think this house is a bit much?” Justin asked.

Why would they need a tennis court? He did like the wrap around porch though.

“I like it,” Brian defended himself.

“I like it too, but shouldn’t we be looking at a house with more bedrooms and less amenities?”

“This way we have four to a room.”

“That seems like asking for trouble,” Justin said.

Brian just looked at him and Justin saw what he hadn’t before. Brian really loved this house. Remembering Brian talking about his childhood. Brian’s house right now was basic and looked like every other house on his block, probably something his wife had wanted. This house had a lot of personality and was beautiful, this house was Brian.

“Show me the gym,” Justin said, wanting to cheer Brian up who had started to look sad.

Brian did cheer up with that and the realtor took them to a small indoor gym. The walls were blue and yellow and there were two basketball hoops hanging, one on each side of the gym. It was like a miniature school gym except with no bleachers.

“Wow, Freddie and Nina would love this gym,” he said.

“So would Gus and Adam. I didn’t know Nina played basketball.”

“Yeah, she’s played since she was in third grade. She didn’t want to be on a team in high school because before it took up all of her life but she’s really good. I don’t like that the kids would have to switch schools, but I think it would help some of them.”

“Same. Gus will be starting his senior year, but he’s had problems with most of his teachers, so I don’t think we’ll have much of an issue.”

The house was in West Virginia, close enough to Pittsburgh that it wouldn’t be much trouble for Justin and Brian to commute to work though.

They left the realtor and drove back to the city.

“What did you think, really?” Brian asked.

“It’s beautiful. If we’re going to do this it might as well be in a pretty home.”

“If?”

“We still have to tell our children.”

“Yes, but that won’t change anything.”

“I can’t marry you if my children are against it. They are my life.”

“No, they are your children. As long as we listen to them and not degrade their feelings, we can still do this. I’m not going to lie; it will be hard in the beginning but if we try it will work.”

“I know. My kids really like you and your younger kids. I don’t see them having a problem with your older ones.”


All the kids were back, and the house was once again a madhouse. They all were excited to tell him about their camp experiences, all except Eric, his sixteen-year old. He was quiet and more withdrawn than he had ever been. Eric was his peacemaker, the caretaker of all his kids. He suspected maybe Eric had a summer romance and it hadn’t ended well. Gus on the other hand wouldn’t shut up about his exploits.

The kids had gotten home yesterday and today was the day they were introducing the full families together and springing the marriage on them. In fact, because both Justin and him thought a wedding was an unnecessary expense and ceremony, they had already gotten married at city hall the day before his kids came home. He knew if kids that weren’t against the marriage they would surely throw a fit about getting married without them. But both him and Justin thought a wedding was more aggravation than good right now.

Brian had made a reservation at a local restaurant. He had gotten the VIP room that was for parties and bigger families. He told them he was bringing twenty people. Justin had told him that he was leaving Hannah and Baby Bea with his sister because he was worried if it went bad, he didn’t want the babies upset. Brian decided to do the same with Leia and now Emmett was going to watch her while they were at dinner. That meant there would only be seventeen at the restaurant, but it didn’t matter, they needed the big room with the large table anyway.

He hadn’t ever remembered himself being this nervous. Not when he was waiting for his college acceptance letters. Not when he was meeting Lindsay’s family for the first time. True he had already hated them, so he didn’t care if he impressed them or not. He knew Justin’s kids were alright with him as Bea’s other father. But as their stepfather was a different story.

At the moment he was at the office, working on some last-minute stuff. He and Justin had put in an offer on the house and it had been accepted. They were moving in before the new school year. They had paid a shitload to expedite the closing. After they move, they could list their houses. Turns out with Justin’s money from his dead sugar daddy and Brian’s from Lindsay’s trust they didn’t have to rush the selling of their respective houses, but they both wanted them gone. Once they got the money back, they could move it back to savings for the kids’ educations which was as much as the house they just bought.

“Hey, Bri, Emmett called and we’re having lunch. You want to come? Michael will be there, it will be like old times,” Ted said.

“Sure, I have something I wanted to tell you anyway.”

He might as well get this part over with. Emmett knew he was taking his kids out to dinner but didn’t know the reason.

Ted and he were the last ones to arrive.

“My usual, Kiki,” he said as he sat down beside Michael.

Michael was the one he was worried about most telling about getting married. Michael and Ben had been together for over ten years. But there were still times that Michael got incredibly jealous. He guessed he would have been jealous too when Ben and Michael got together if Lindsay just hadn’t fucking had twins.

“I’m amazed you came to lunch. You’ve been like a ghost for the last month,” Michael said.

“I’ve been busy, actually I wanted to talk to you.”

“Ooh, this sounds juicy. I’ve been telling Teddy I think you’re dating. After seeing you chat up that little blond dish last month, I knew you were back on track,” Emmett said.

“That kid was too young for Brian,” Michael said.

“He’s not a kid, he’s thirty. And he’s my husband.”

Brian watched in amusement as his friends gapped and looked like fish.

“What the hell?” Michael asked.

Just then Kiki brought his and Ted’s food and dropped it off at the table and scampered off. She seemed not to want to be in the line of fire.

“What don’t you understand?” he asked.

“You said you didn’t even want to date a month ago. What changed?” Michael asked, his face getting a little red.

“Nothing, except that I decided what I needed for my kids and myself. This choice was mine and the reasons are my own. I’m not going to spend time defending my decisions, I’ll have to do that enough when we tell the kids.”

“Wait? You got married and didn’t tell your kids?” Ted asked, he looked shocked.

“Yeah.”

“What the fuck, Brian. The kids are going to be so upset. You are all they have, and you make this huge decision without them. You didn’t even ask their opinion?”

“It’s my choice.”

“Have they at least met this man?” Ted asked.

“The younger five have.”

“God, Brian, how selfish could you be? It’s not just you that you have to think about. You have ten children depending on you.”

“Eleven, now. Well…techanially eighteen now.”

“WHAT?” all three yelled.

“Remember the costume party two years ago on Halloween?”

“Yeah,” Ted said, looking disappointed already.

“Well, turns out the guy I fucked is one of the like five-percent that can get pregnant and I was using defective condoms. He had seven kids at the time and my daughter was number eight for him.”

“You have another kid?” Michael said, shaking his head. “He has eight kids?”

“Her name is Beatrice.”

“She has an old woman’s name,” Michael said.

“It fits her, and they just call her Baby Bea or just Bea. Justin is her other father. We already have a child together. I want a real family. Please, I never thought I’d have this. When Lindsay got pregnant and we got married, I figured my life was basically over. I miss Lindsay and love her, but I didn’t love her like I was supposed to love her. I think I could with Justin.”

“You don’t believe in that kind of love,” Michael said, he looked upset.

“Maybe I want to try.”

 

 


 

Justin looked at the ring Brian had gotten him when they got married. It was just a few words at City Hall with workers there as their witnesses. He knew he had fucked up when he got home. He hadn’t told his children he married a near stranger. He hadn’t told them that he was buying a house with his new husband. He hadn’t told them anything, like they would be moving in with ten other children and having a new stepfather.

His children would hate him, Brian’s children would hate him. This was a mistake, but it was too late to turn back. Brian had put a rush on closing with the new house they spent thousands of extra dollars to rush the inspection and everything.

The kids were chatting animatedly in the van as he drove to the restaurant. It was a very unusual that he took them out to a real restaurant, that meant one without crayons. Brian had called him earlier and told him since the babies weren’t going to be there, he invited his friends for damage control. He hoped it worked. Because he already knew he did everything wrong. He had behaved like a teen without any responsibilities and now was going to pay for it. This was probably the last time his kids would talk to him. He was so stupid, it was like when Brian talked all he could do was smile and nod like a schoolboy, he’s so ashamed of himself.

The restaurant was nice, and he hoped his kids didn’t break anything. The waiter led them back to the room with the other guests. The room was very full, everyone was standing around and chatting. Justin looked around and finally laid eyes on Brian, he was smiling and chatting with some men that were too old to be his children. One was about Justin’s height, then there was a tall, built man that had his arm around the one Justin’s height. There was a man that had his back to Justin.

Brian noticed him and waved him over. But before he could move, he heard yelling.

“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?” Nina was yelling at a teen boy who had to be one of Brian’s. He had dark hair and was in jeans and a t-shirt that said Fuck Off. This had to be Gus, Brian had told him that he was his most troublesome. He was always doing things to piss off his father.

“Nina, watch your language.” He was sounding more and more like his parents and he hated that. “What’s going on?”

“This asshole is the reason I got fired from the school newspaper.”

“What’s the bitch doing here?” Gus asked.

Justin turned and glared at Brian, but Brian glared right back. Justin had to concede, she did call Gus an asshole first. Fuck, parenting sucked.

“Nina Jade Taylor, you do not call people names,” he said sternly.

“But Dad, he got me fired as editor,” she whined looking at him with her big brown eyes.

“No, you got yourself fired. You admitted you skimmed the opinion piece and didn’t read it fully. It was your job to make sure it was an appropriate piece. If it were a paid job, you would have been fired too and probably worse because people talk. Let’s all sit down; we can discuss this later during our meal.”

Everyone sat down, Justin couldn’t help but notice his kids grouped together at one end of the extra long table. The only exception was Lucas who wanted to sit beside Logan.  

Justin sat beside Brian, on the other side of the table were Brian’s friends.

“You remember Michael, this is his husband Ben and our other friend Ted.”

Justin finally looked at the third friend and felt his heart drop. He was looking at the man that gave him his sweet, funny Lucas. Oh, fuck.


Brian noticed a change in Justin’s demeanor after introducing him to his friends. He had also noticed a weird look from Ted. He wanted to know what that was about but wasn’t sure Justin would tell him. Ted was still scared enough of him to be truthful. He would have to wait for an opportunity.

He knew he needed to get the meat of tonight out of the way. They all ordered their food and he took his moment.

“We have an announcement. Well, a few announcements. First off, some of you know but my kids don’t.” He looked around the table at his children. “Two years ago, I fathered another child. Her name is Beatrice and she is Justin’s daughter.”

His kids sat in stunned silence. He wondered which one would be the first to speak.

“Bea is our sister?” Alicia asked. She had met Bea several times when Brian took his younger kids over to get to know Justin’s kids.

“Yes.”

He saw confused faces, upset faces and one incredibly angry face. He was shocked at who the one who looked so angry.

“Natasha?” he asked.

“What?” she asked bitterly.

“Are you alright?”

“No, but I will be.”

Brian did his best not to laugh. While his kids were terrors, they really were amazing. Everyone considered Natasha and Noreen odd because they were so internalized with their emotions. But it wasn’t they didn’t feel, it was they didn’t want others to know what they felt, it was something so like him.

“Anyone have anything they want to say?” Brian asked.

“What do you want us to say? The baby is here, not like anything can happen now,” Gus said.

“Well, that comes to our second and third announcements,” Brian told him.

“We got married,” Justin said, pulling his ring out of his pocket and putting it on, Brian did the same.

“And we’re moving,” Brian got out before the yelling could start.

There were eyes all focused on them now.

“Where are we moving?” Krista asked.

“West Virginia,” Justin answered.

“We’ll be switching schools?” Krista asked.

“Yes, I’m sorry if that upsets you,” Justin said.

Brian watched the girl; her face was open much like Justin’s. She wasn’t upset, she was relieved. Something about her school was causing her trouble and starting a new school was something good to her not bad. Sadly, it didn’t look to be across the board with the rest. There were a lot of bitching about moving, no one seemed to care about the marriage though.

“You didn’t think to ask us if we wanted to move? Or that we wanted more siblings? We won’t be a family, we’ll be bad reality tv.”

He had thought Gus would be the one to point this out and get angry, but this was from Eric. Gus in fact was be noticeably quiet, he just kept looking at Krista with an odd expression. It wasn’t a smitten expression which was good because that would be messed up, it was a troubled one.

“I know this is unfair, but Brian and I really want to make an honest go of this. I hope that everyone can at least give it a try.”

“I’m willing to give it a try,” Krista said.

“Me too,” Gus added quickly after Krista.

All the kids agreed except one hold out. Brian looked at the hold out and smiled.

“What’s your problem?”

“I don’t want a new family,” Logan cried.

“Come here,” he said, pushing away from the table and opening his arms. Logan jumped out of his seat and ran into Brian’s arms. “Shh…I know, it’s a lot to take. I’m sorry for just dropping this on you like this. I thought it would be for the best all at once. Not the first time I’ve fucked everything up.” He picked Logan up and put him on his lap. Logan had been so small when Lindsay died, unlike Leia who never had a mother he had one for three years and then she was gone. “I’m so sorry.”

“You said sorry is bull…poo,” Logan said, catching himself before his cursed.

“I did but I never want to hurt you. We don’t know what kind of life we’ll have living all together. It might be good, or it might be bad. We’ll make a deal, if it’s not working after a year, we’ll take a vote if we should all live separately again. Is that acceptable?” he asked, looking from Logan to all the other kids. They all nodded including Logan.

“Alright. How long is a year?” Logan asked causing a tittering at the table.

 

Tragic Mistake by Willameana

 

 

They had moved in a week before school was due to start. The kids didn’t seem to mind the new living arrangements because they loved the house. Most of the time the kids could be found at the pool or in the gym. The tennis court was pretty bare of children until Mitch had asked him to teach him to play. Justin remembered all his lessons when he was younger at the club. He hated sports but couldn’t really turn his son down. Thankfully, after a few pathetic attempts to teach Mitch to play, Gus had seen and taken over. Mitch was in awe of his new stepbrother, which made Justin happy.

Then there was Krista who had been smiling so much Justin thought she was a pod-person. She hadn’t been this happy in a long time. She told him that she was excited to start the new school. Not all the kids were happy to be going to a new school but there were none that hated the idea.

Justin had spent all day yesterday buying school supplies not just for his kids but also Brian’s kids. He spent more than he did on a van payment to get everything. Backpacks, lunchboxes, pencils, pens, crayons, paper, binders and the list goes on and on. He had twelve school lists to follow from the everyone under high schoolers then he just had to guess with all the high schoolers. It was a pain. Now he had to take them to get clothes for the new year. Brian had not been a help at all. Justin had to take a few vacation days from his work to get all this done. He was starting to feel like Brian didn’t want a husband, he wanted a maid/nanny.

This morning he was taking Logan, Alicia, Noreen, Natasha, Sadie, Mitch and Lucas to get school clothes. He wasn’t going in alone though; he had called in reinforcements. Daphne and his friend Robin were meeting them at the store. He told the older kids not to kill each other and went on his way.

As he drove his mind went back to a problem he had been ignoring. Ted, not Ned, was Lucas’ father and also Brian’s employee and friend. He should have told Brian the truth that first day when he saw Ted, but he kept his mouth shut. He was too worried about what would happen if Brian found out. But Justin didn’t know Brian at the time, it was way before Bea had been conceived.

 


Brian was working on saving an account that one of his underlings was close to losing. He had gotten up early and left before Justin had woken up. He needed to get this done and he thought if he waited Justin would try and talk him into going back to school shopping with him. It wasn’t really his strong suit. For three years he had to do it, but he mostly just did it online. Justin had a different way of doing things.  

One thing he was glad about was not having to go clothes shopping. He loved going clothes shopping for himself, but his kids were monsters who didn’t care about fashion…except Lola. Justin and he had made a joint bank account for them to use for things for the kids. His job was to put money in it, Justin could take care of the getting things. Sure, Justin put money in from his own job, but Brian made way more than Justin did.

He grabbed his phone and called Ted. “Get your ass in here,” he snapped when he answered.

A few minutes later Ted came in looking pissed. “Geez, Brian, I do have a job.”

“Glad to hear it. But I have a question that’s been bugging me.”

“What?”

“Why have you been shifty since you met Justin?”

Ted looked down at his shoes and Brian narrowed his eyes. He had been quiet about this since the dinner. But that was weeks ago and now that Justin and he lived together he wanted to know what was going on. He wasn’t a jealous person…alright that was lie he was a very jealous person, but he did his best at people not knowing.

“It’s nothing, Brian.”

“Tell me. Now.”

“We had a one-night stand years ago. It was nothing.”

“Just sex?” He couldn’t imagine anyone wanting to have sex with Ted, but he didn’t care that they had sex.

“Yeah, and it was just the once. I haven’t seen him since that night until the dinner. It’s just awkward you know.”

He did know, he had sex with Ben before Michael knew him. He thought it was stupid that Michael got upset but now he was seeing a little what Michael felt. He was glad he was worried over nothing. In his mind he had worked up crazy ideas like Ted and Justin having some kind of bond or relationship, but sex was just sex.

Brian left work late that day, he had too much work to do to leave earlier. Because it was late already, he decided to head over to Woody’s to have a drink. Justin being home with the kids was a huge relief.

Once he was a few drinks in, he started to get attention from a guy around his own age. He wasn’t interested because he had a sexy as fuck husband. The new guy wasn’t really listening to him when he told him to fuck off. Soon Michael, Ted and Emmett showed up. He had just texted Michael but was glad his friends had come and chased the freak off.

“Why aren’t you at home?” Emmett asked after ordering a drink.

“Just because I got married doesn’t mean my life ends. I was out more when I was married to Lindsay.”

“I thought this was supposed to be a real marriage?” Michael asked.

“It is.”

“And he let you have the same kind of freedom Lindsay did?”

“Let me?” He was getting pissed off, no one let him do anything.

Just as he was about to let Michael have it, his phone rang. It was Justin, he ignored it. It rang a few more times and finally he turned it off and shoved it in his pocket. He wasn’t some dickless robot who came running anytime Justin called, it was best Justin learn that now. He ordered another round.

 


Justin texted Brian for what felt like the tenth time. He tried to call him but soon it just went to voicemail, then he texted but it didn’t show up as seen.

“I’m taking her to the emergency room. If your father calls, tell him where I am,” he told Eric, who looked just as worried as Justin.

Justin wasn’t a new father; he didn’t get freaked out with sniffles or even high fevers, but Leia was clearly having a bad allergic reaction to something. The kids didn’t know she was allergic to anything so it must be new. He rushed out the door with Leia in his arms, taking Brian’s van because it was the one, he used earlier. He didn’t want to wait for an ambulance.

Once he rushed Leia in the to the ER, she was taken back right away. He explained he was her stepfather and thankfully wasn’t given any problems. Once they gave her an epinephrine injection it was a waiting game. She cried and wanted her father, but Brian still wasn’t answering his phone. He wanted someone as far from like Ethan as possible and got someone exactly the same.

 


Brian was laughing and having a good time when two familiar faces walked through the front door of Woody’s. It was Eric and Nina, they looked worried.

“No kids in here,” the bartender shouted.

“It’s alright, Dan,” he said, and the kids looked at him and rushed over.

“You’ve not been answering your phone,” Nina said. Brian saw she was close to tears.

“I turned it off. What’s going on?”

“Leia had an allergic reaction. She got all red and her face swelled up. Justin’s been trying to reach you all night. What the hell, Dad?” Eric asked.

Brian stood up and pulled his phone out of his pocket. “Why didn’t he tell me?” Both kids looked at him incredulously. “I’m going to the hospital. You two go back home.”

“How much have you drunk?” Nina asked.

“I’ll drive him, I haven’t drunk anything stronger than root beer,” Ted volunteered.

“You heard him, go home. I’ll call you later.”

Both kids looked at him and he felt like the lowest pond scum. They weren’t far off; he had turned his phone off and spent the night drinking like some college kid. Just because he married Justin didn’t mean he wasn’t a father anymore.

 


Leia had cried herself to sleep in his arms. He had been stewing over what to do about Brian. He had uprooted his children’s lives on a whim. He would have to continue to try to make this marriage work. Because of that, he decided to suck up his anger and bottle it up. He wouldn’t show how upset he was. Leia was fine now. He would have to make an appointment for an allergy panel for her, but they said in a few more hours they would be able to go home.

The door opened and he expected the nurse who kept coming to check on Leia. It wasn’t him though, it was Brian. Justin forced himself to smile.

“She’s alright,” he whispered, trying not to wake Leia up.

“What happened?” Brian demanded.

Leia woke and started to cry. Brian instantly came and took her out of Justin’s arms.

Justin stood up, shaking out his arm which had fallen asleep.

“She had an allergic reaction. I’m pretty sure it was from the strawberries.”

“Why did you give her strawberries?”

“I made a fruit platter for the kids to snack on after dinner. I thought it would be fun. You didn’t tell me any of them had any allergies. I did ask Gus and Eric, but they said they didn’t think any of them had an allergy. I’ll make an appointment tomorrow to get her an allergy panel.”

“I’ll do it, she’s my daughter.”

“Right, sorry, I’ve just been the one cleaning up her messes, feeding her, rocking her to sleep and drying her tears when you didn’t answer your phone. Give me your keys.”

“Why?”

“So, I can take your car and go home. You’ll need her carseat when they release her.”

“Ted brought me; I’ve been drinking.”

“Great. I’ll wait in the waiting room. For some strange reason, looking at you makes me sick right now.”

Justin turned around and left. He was so mad. Mad at Brian but mostly mad at himself. He promised himself he wouldn’t get angry at Brian, take what was thrown at him for his children. He just needed to cool off, he went through the double doors leading back to the ER waiting room. Found a seat and sat down, he pulled his phone out and sent a text to Krista that everything was alright, and Brian was there.

“This seat taken?”

Justin looked up and saw Ted. Great, just what he needed, another one of his children’s father.

“Free country.”

Ted sat down beside him but didn’t say anything. Justin could feel his eyes on him. Well, too bad for him, he didn’t feel like talking to anyone right now.

“I told Brian, so if he was a little short with you, that’s probably the reason.”

“You told Brian what?” Justin asked. Ted hadn’t acted any way towards any of Justin’s kids at the restaurant, so he was sure he didn’t know about Lucas.

“About our…you know.”

“Our one-night stand?”

“Yeah, that.”

“Why did you tell him?”

“Because he could sense there was something up. Brian is the most perspective people I know.”

“I see.”

“Look, I wasn’t even sure you remembered it.”

“Of course, I did, I don’t sleep around that much.” Hardly ever.

“I wasn’t saying you did. It’s just that men usually say I’m pretty forgettable.”

“You’re not forgettable, Ted,” Justin said, looking through his pictures on his phone until he found a good one of Lucas. It was a cute one of him a few days ago in the pool. He held the phone up so Ted could see.

“Yeah, cute kid,” Ted said looking at Justin like he lost his mind.

“I think so. He lost his first baby tooth the other day. He’s six.”

“That’s a good age,” Ted said conversationally.

Justin was going to have to be clearer. “He was born thirty-nine weeks after our one-night stand.”

Ted’s eyes shot to Justin’s phone, looking at the picture. “Are you saying you think he’s mine?”

“I know he is. If you want a DNA test, you can have it. He’s my child though. But one of my kids should have a father that cares.”

Grabbing the phone, Ted looked more at the picture. “Brian cares,” Ted said without looking up.

“Doesn’t feel like it.”

Ted handed him back the phone. “I will give you piece of advice about the great Brian Kinney. The more scared or out of his depth he feels, the more he lashes out. Brian needs control, if he doesn’t have it, he will take everything down with him. He was trying to prove a point tonight, and it blew up in his face. He was trying to make this marriage the same as his with Lindsay but there are two big differences. First one, Lindsay was in on their deal from the beginning. Second, I think he’s already starting to fall for you. These last few weeks, I’ve never seen him so happy.”

“Didn’t sound so happy a moment ago.”

“He was scared because of these new feelings, he shut his phone off and Leia paid the price. If it helps, he’ll never do that again. He won’t apologize right out but he will with actions.”

“You’re a good friend.”

“I try to be.”

“Do you want the DNA test for Lucas?”

“You’re sure?”

“Positive.”

“Then I don’t need a test. I would like to get to know him though.”

“We’re having a pool party this weekend to close the pool for the year. Why don’t you come over? Lucas loves the pool, he’s a little fish.”

“I’d love that. Are you going to tell Brian?”

“I have to, don’t I?”

“I guess. Just be gentle, he may not like to think he’s the jealous type, but he really is.”

“It was nothing.”

“Thanks.”

Justin blushed. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I know what you meant. So, you’re good?”

“Yeah, I’ll take his highness home and not drop him off on the side of the road.”

Ted laughed. “You’re really good for him, you just have to get through his prickly outer shell first.”

“If I survive.”

“Good, luck.”

 

School Days by Willameana
Author's Notes:

TW Talk about abortion. I'm sorry it's taken me so long. 

 

 

 

The party was going well, all the kids were having a great time. Some invited friends so there were a lot of teenagers around. Brian was watching Ted sitting on the edge of the pool. His friend had been acting weird all day.

“Beer?”

Brian turned and saw Justin holding up a beer to him. “Thanks.” He took the opened beer and sat back on the lounge he was on getting a tan.

Justin sat beside him, and he could feel the younger man looking at him. Instead of asking him what his problem was, he just continued to watch the kids play. The littles were playing in a kiddie pool that Justin had set up. They had hired a sitter to watch Leia, Hannah, and Bea. The sitter was reapplying sunscreen to the kids.

“It was a good idea to hire the sitter,” Justin said as if reading his mind.

“Yeah, it makes for less worry if we’re just watching the older kids.” Lindsay had always been worried the kids would drown when they went to the beach. He didn’t want his kids to have a fear of the water.

“We haven’t talked much since the hospital,” Justin hedged.

“Right.” He was ashamed of his behavior, but he didn’t want to admit it.

“I need to tell you something, but I don’t know how you’ll take it.”

Pulling his sunglasses off, he looked at Justin. He noticed the worry on his face. How long had he been worried like that? It couldn’t be from Leia because they had worked that out, he agreed not to turn his phone off.

“Just go ahead and say whatever it is.”

“Ted is Lucas’s biological father.” There was an extended silence, and he could see Justin was getting agitated. “Well, don’t you have anything to say?”

“What do you want me to say?”

“That you’re ok with this.”

“Is that what you want, Justin? Sorry, I don’t lie.” He got up and left, he didn’t stop until he shut himself in his office and locked the door.

It wasn’t like he thought Justin was a monk, after all he had eight children. Having a one-night stand with Ted wasn’t ideal but it couldn’t be changed. But finding out Lucas was a result of that one-night stand hurt. He didn’t know why it hurt but it did. No, he did know why it hurt. He thought he was the only one he knew to have this connection with Justin, having a child together. Then he finds out apparently that was a dime a dozen.

Someone knocked on the door and he glared at it. “Go away.”

“Dad?”

“What do you want?”

“I need to talk to you.”

“Fine, come in.”

His second oldest walked in, Brian had noticed his son wasn’t in swimwear. He remembered then Eric wasn’t at the pool with everyone else. The look on his son’s face caused him to stop thinking about his own selfish thoughts.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m pregnant.”

“What? You can’t be, you’re not gay.”

“I think I’m bisexual. But it doesn’t change the fact that I’m pregnant.”

“Eric was sixteen, he hadn’t wanted any of his children to be teen parents. He was young but at least in college. He knew about all the problems Justin had being one. From getting kicked out to living with the father and have more with him. That wouldn’t happen here because he wouldn’t be kicking Eric out. But he couldn’t put it on the other kids to share a room with him and a baby. He shook his head; he wasn’t even sure what Eric wanted to do about the pregnancy.

“Who’s the other father?”

“I don’t really want to talk about it.”

Brian was instantly suspicious because Eric was his quiet and responsible one. He was never one to get upset or do anything wild.

“Was it consensual?” He hated asking but knew he would have to get Eric some help if he was hurt.

“Yes. It was just someone I met before summer. I didn’t even think I could be until you introduced us to Justin. I took the test after that, it was positive.”

“What do you want to do about it?”

“I can’t be a father. There is so much I want to do in my life, and I can’t do it with a baby.”

“You know I’ll support you and the baby. You can still go to school and graduate go on to college.”

“I don’t want to have his baby, all right? Is that clear enough.”

Something was very off with the whole thing. Brian felt he was missing something, but he watched Eric shut down enough to know he wouldn’t be getting anymore from him.”

“Alright. We’ll follow your lead. Make the appointment and I’ll take you.”

“Can Justin take me?”

He tried not to let that hurt him, but he realized it was something the two had in common. This wasn’t about him; this was about Eric.

“I’ll ask him but I’m sure he’ll say yes.”

“Thanks Dad.”

Looks like he would have to get over his own little hissy fit. He guessed there were worse people to be Lucas’s father than Ted. At least he wouldn’t have questions. The other kids knew who their other father was, it was only fair for him.

 

 


 

Justin looked around the waiting room with trepidation. Not for himself but for the young man beside him. He had been that scared teenager. The good news for Eric was that he had a supportive father, where he did not. Eric had chosen to terminate which was more dangerous for males but not unheard of. It ran the risk of him not being able to conceive again but most men with the condition where straight and never conceived.

Eric was practically vibrating with nerves beside him. “Are you alright?” he asked the teen.

“I just can’t believe I’m here.”

“Can you tell me anything about the other father? Or anything you want to share?”

“It’s Gus’s best friend Clay.”

Justin tried to stop the gasp that threatened to get out. He had met Clay before, he was at the pool party just days ago with his very pretty girlfriend.

“That does sound like a lot.”

“He told me that he loved me, but he didn’t. I was just a means to an end while he was fighting with Jill. I’ve been in love with him since I was twelve and he knew it. He used that knowledge, something that Gus and he used to laugh about. I can’t have this baby. I can’t be linked to him for the rest of my life.”

“I know you’ve already thought about it…”

“I don’t want to give the baby up for adoption. I don’t want to be pregnant at all. I know you are fine having kids but it’s weird and I don’t want it. I don’t want to be a FREAK!”

Eric was sixteen and had a lot of emotions going on in him, so Justin would overlook the freak comment. Even if it did hurt but it was nothing, he hadn’t called himself at that age. He would have just had Krista if Ethan hadn’t pushed for more sex when they lived in his mother’s home together. They hadn’t even been together, but Justin didn’t want to be kicked out with a baby, so he did what he had to for his daughter, but that led to Nina and Freddie. Now he could say he wouldn’t have terminated because he couldn’t picture his life without any of his kids, even on the bad days. But if he had found out early in the pregnancy with Krista, he couldn’t say for sure he wouldn’t have.

“Ok.”

There wasn’t much else to say. They sat in uncomfortable silence for almost twenty minutes until Eric’s name was called.

“Do you want me to stay out here?” he asked.

Eric shook his head no, seemingly to have lost his voice from nerves. They followed the nurse into the room.

 

 


 

“How did it go?” Brian asked when they arrived back home.

“He has an appointment in a few days,” Justin told him. Eric didn’t say anything and just went upstairs.

“How is he, really?”

“Not doing well. I did find out who the other father is. He doesn’t want you to know but I can confirm it wasn’t an assault or an old perv. It was a boy that he liked who had a girlfriend and used him when the girlfriend stopped having sex with him because of a fight. He knew about Eric’s crush on him and just wanted to have a convenient fuck.”

How could he have missed all this? He hadn’t known his son was questioning his sexuality or even having sex. “Do you think he’s in a state to make this decision?”

“I think it would be devastating to him to carry this baby to term. He’s right, he’s not ready to have a baby, even to give it up for adoption. He feels betrayed by his body. I know what that feels like. I had no choice but to have Krista, he does.”

“When did parenting become this hard?”

“It’s always been this hard. Are you still mad about Ted?”

“No, could be worse, could be a sleaze. At least Ted will be there for him. Are you going to let him, and Blake be in his life?”

“Yeah, having more people love you isn’t bad. I wish the other kids had that. Four have a father who responsibility is a four-letter word and two have a dead man as a father. Lucas and Bea are so lucky.”

“Kids are at school, babies at daycare.” The kids had just started school the day before. Eric hadn’t wanted to miss the first day of school, so they went today.

“Eric’s here though.”

“He’ll be in his room. I think he’ll enjoy having it to himself for a few hours.”

“Do you think I’m a freak?”

Brian was surprised. “Where did that come from?”

“Just something Eric said.”

“He called you a freak?” Brian asked angrily.

“No, not in so many words. I understand where he’s coming from, but it just hurts. I just wanted to know your feelings on the matter.”

“I can say for sure, that I don’t want any more children.”

“Same.”

“Besides that, I couldn’t care less what your body is capable of. You’ve had eight kids and still have the tight body of someone ten years younger.”

“Thanks?” Justin said warily.

“Dad?”

Brian looked up to the stairway that Eric was standing on the bottom step.

"Yeah?”

“Can we talk?”

“Sure.”

 

 


 

It was about forty minutes later the call came. Gus, Lola, Krista, and Nina were all in the principal’s office for fighting.

“With each other?” Brian asked as they rode together to the school.

“All the receptionist told me was to come down because they were in a fight. You know as much as I do.”

It was their second day at their new school. How could they have gotten in a fight with others? It had to be with each other. This was supposed to be a new start. They had a teen that was pregnant and now the fighting four. What was next? Was Freddie going to start a cult?

Just as they were pulling in, Brian’s phone started ringing. Looking at the number he cursed. “Fuck.”

“What is it?” Justin asked.

“The elementary school.”

“Fuck. Well, answer it.”

Hitting accept, he put the phone on speaker. “Kinney,” he answered.

“Hello, Mr. Kinney, this is Principal Davis at Green Valley Elementary. Would you be able to come down to speak with us today?”

“Is something wrong?”

“Natasha and Noreen are in my office. I would like to speak to you in person, please.”

“Yeah, I’ll be there.” He hung up and looked at Justin. “Can you take care of this alone?”

“Guess I have no choice. Make sure you swing by and pick us back up, I can’t imagine whatever this is about that they aren’t sent home for the rest of the day.”

“Right. Good luck,” he told Justin as the younger man got out of the car.

“You too.”

 

 


 

Justin felt like he was walking to his own execution. He had been called to the principal’s office before. But this was the first time with their blended family. He had thought the kids were getting along. Gus and Krista were even friends. Lola and Nina were both into fashion and got along fine he thought.

He saw them even before he got into the office. They were seated in four chairs against the wall right outside the office.

“What have you four done?”

“It wasn’t our fault,” Gus said first.

“We didn’t do anything,” Nina said at the same time.

“Just tell me before I’m blindsided.”

“Some stuff was online about Eric. I guess someone here looked him up on socials after school yesterday,” Gus said, he had what looked like a nice black eye forming.

“What stuff?” he asked. The four looked at each other but didn’t say anything. “I have to know if I’m going to be talking to your principal.”

“Someone posted a pic of Eric with the word freak on it. There are rumors he’s pregnant. No one even knows him here, but they see it online and thing it’s the truth. No one calls our brother a freak and gets away with it,” Lola said.

If Eric didn’t know by now, he would soon. This wasn’t what he planned for their night. He would have to speak to Brian about maybe finding another school for Eric or homeschooling, he was more sensitive than the rest except Krista.

“Why aren’t the kids you fought with here?”

“Their parents already came and got them. There is a zero-tolerance policy for that sort of thing. They’re suspended a week. Mrs. Kline the receptionist thinks we’ll probably just get a few days,” Krista told him.

Justin just hoped Brian was having a better time than he was.

 

 


 

“What do you mean, they are expelled? They are ten years old.”

“They started a fire, Mr. Kinney. We can’t overlook the dangers of the situation.”

“You said yourself no one saw them. They didn’t admit to it, and you don’t have any video proof. How can you be so sure my girls set any fire?”

Principal Davis straightened herself in her chair. She thought she looked tough, but he had landed multi million dollars deals with sharks, she had nothing on them.

“According to their records they have form for this sort of thing.” Her face looked like a rat to him. The hideous green pantsuit wasn’t helping her either.

“When they were six another boy brought matches to school with him. He gave one each and they all tried to light it. They didn’t know what it was, they were just doing what was on the packet. Only one of the matches lit and it wasn’t even theirs. It was put out by Noreen, and she admitted to the teacher what happened. How is that form? My kids don’t lie.” At least the twins didn’t lie. They didn’t even understand sarcasm.

“Be that as it may, we have to deal with this accordingly.”

“If you suspend my girls for lighting a fire you better damn well have proof. If you don’t, I’ll sue this whole school system and yes, I have the money to do it.”

“They were in the area. If they didn’t do it, they know who did and aren’t saying. That can’t be overlooked.”

“Do I have to repeat myself?”

“Fine, they are suspended for the rest of the day though.”

“Fine. I’ll take my kids home and make sure they know their rights and my lawyer’s number.” He wasn’t bluffing either, he knew his girls. If they said they didn’t do it, they didn’t.”

On the way back to the high school, he started to question them.

“Do you know who started the fire?” He had found out it was a small one in a trash can in the girls’ bathroom.

“Yes.”

“Why didn’t you tell the principal?”

“Snitches get stitches,” Natasha said.

“Where did you hear that?”

“Gus said it to Freddie at the pool party,” Noreen said.

“Why would he say that?”

“We can’t say,” Noreen said.

“Why?”

“Snitches get stitches,” they said in unison.

“Tell me who started the fire and tell me what Gus was threatening Freddie about,” he demanded. It wouldn’t work with most of his kids, but the twins didn’t like his stern voice.

“Jessie Vicks started the fire, but she didn’t mean it. She was playing with a lighter, she was only supposed to make her pen melt,” Noreen said.

That was one down. “And?”

“Gus is joining the Navy when he graduates. Freddie found out; he doesn’t want you to know yet.”

The Navy? His son wanted to join the armed forces; he didn’t know what to think about that. “Alright. Thank you for telling me. Next time a friend thinks lighting something on fire would be interesting, just say no.”

“Yes, father,” the said in unison. He inwardly shivered. They always freaked him out when they did that, he didn’t even know if they were doing it on purpose.

Once they were all home, after taking Justin home to get his van to pick up the littles, they finally could relax. Well, not really because they still have to feed eighteen and it was a tense room because the older kids weren’t keen on telling Eric what was being said about him. They had discussed it and decided Brian would speak to him in private after most the kids went to bed.

“I used to fear the first day of school, now the second day is the one to watch out for,” Justin said later that night.

“It can only get better, right?”

Justin just started to laugh, and Brian joined in. He was right, it was stupid to think this was as worse than it could get. Eric still had his appointment and everything to help him after that.

“At least they’re getting along. They fought together for him,” Justin said.

“That’s what I like about you, always seeing the silver lining.”

“That’s me, Mary fucking Sunshine.”

“My little Sunshine,” he said, pinching Justin’s cheek.

“Oh god, what did I start.”

 

 

Unexpected Gifts by Willameana
Author's Notes:

TW- Mention of sexual assault

 

 

 

 

Christmas was upon them, the first since becoming a family of twenty. Everything had settled down a lot from the beginning of the school year. Eric was unable to go through with the termination. But he lost the pregnancy not long after. He seemed to be ok with how it happened, but he still hadn’t told Gus who had gotten him that way. He had made the decision when he was eighteen that he would have the operation to sterilize him, even with the risks. Brian hadn’t been happy, but it wasn’t his decision.

Most of Brian’s kids weren’t really fans of his, and same with his kids and Brian. The only good thing was the united force they seemed to have with each other. Mitch was in awe of his new big brother Gus. He would follow him around and Gus was nice enough to include him even with Mitch only being eight.

Sadie’s twelfth birthday was on Christmas Day and Adam was turning fourteen on the twenty-seventh. Because of that they were having a party on boxing day for the two of them. Sadie usually had a little something at the end of the day on Christmas, so she was happy about the party. The two of them had fun lamenting about having Birthday/Christmas presents every year.

After a lot of discussion Brian took over the Christmas shopping this year because he actually had time off. Justin was working on a showing in New York. It was a major thing for him, there was no way he would give it up. After discussing it with Brian he decided he would quit the art gallery. He would be able to stay home with the kids and work on his art. After the visits to the principal’s office, they knew they needed a plan. Thankfully, nothing like that had happened again.

They gave Eric the option to home school, but the brave little fucker said he wasn’t going to let them win and chase him off. In the few months since school started Eric had actually met a nice boy named DeMarcus and they were casually dating.

Noreen and Natasha had even started to do some things separately. Noreen had taken up art classes while Natasha had wanted to start to take piano lessons. As for the rest of the kids they had all seemed to be adjusting well.

Gus actually had a girlfriend, a real one not just a hookup. Brian couldn’t stand the girl, but Justin thought that was because he was worried Gus would get her pregnant. Krista had made the biggest transformation making him realize it wasn’t a chemical source, her reason for depression and self-harm. It was an outside source; he still didn’t know what that was, but he knew when she wanted to tell him she would.

Nina and Lola had started a joint venture, they made funny little videos and were very popular. It wasn’t fashion videos or anything it was all about being in a blended family of such a large one.

Freddie’s arm had healed, and he had made new friends and they were usually out doing something that would give Justin an early heart attack. Adam and Mindy had made new friends easily. He worried the most about Sadie, she just didn’t seem to want friends, she was always just reading in her room. Mitch and Alicia were friends with some neighbor kids. Logan and Lucas were inseparable. Leia and Hannah were very different but got along well. Then there was Baby Bea who had decided Brian is her favorite person in the world. He tried not to get jealous, he wanted her to love him.

Justin was working in his studio that Brian had built for him on their property. All the kids were in school, pre-school or in Bea’s case the daycare at Brian’s office. The daycare had been a Godsend because Brian could go downstairs and check on her anytime he wanted, that made Justin feel better.

His phone started to ring, causing him to lose focus. “Can’t I have a fucking moment of peace?” he asked the empty room.

Picking up his phone he looked and saw that he didn’t recognize the number. “Hello?” he said a little shortly.

“Mr. Taylor?” He had kept his last name exactly how it was because he wanted to share his name with his kids.

“Yes?”

“I’m Dr. Powers with the Green Valley clinic. You came in the other day to have your annual checkup.”

“This I know. What? Did you find something?” Worry about being sick started to run through his head. He had been feeling a little rundown lately, but he assumed it was because all the extra kids meaning extra work.

“No…well…yes. It’s nothing to worry about after checking your records.”

“What does that mean?”

“You’re pregnant.”

 

 


 

When Brian got home that night with Bea, he knew something was wrong. Usually, Justin was doing something around the house with Hannah and Leia as his little shadows. Instead, he found Freddie watching to two toddlers. He had given them game controllers that were broken, they really thought they were playing with him.

“Where’s your dad?” he asked, setting the baby down.

“Aunt Daphne’s. He said he was spending the weekend there,” Freddie said with a shrug.

They had eighteen children; Justin just couldn’t leave for the weekend without even a text. Brian had so much he had to do this weekend he couldn’t take the lion’s share of the child rearing.

“Can you watch Bea? I need to call your father.”

“Sure,” Freddie said not taking his eyes away from the screen.

“Never mind,” he said picking her back up. Leaving him in charge of three-year-olds was very different from a one-year-old.

He carried her to his office, grabbing the number blocks she liked on the way. Setting her on the ground, he emptied the block container on the floor for her.

Taking his phone, he called his wayward husband. He knew Justin would answer because it was their rule, no matter what they answer each other’s calls.

“What Brian?” Justin said as a greeting.

“Freddie said you were spending the weekend at Daphne’s. Did I miss the memo on this?”

“I just need some time without kids hanging on me. Please, I’m struggling with something here.”

Now he was actually worried instead of annoyed. “And you didn’t think to talk this over with your husband?”

“I will, I just need time on my own to think. Daphne’s working all the time, so I’ve got her place to myself. I promise, when I figure out what I’m going to do you’ll be the first to know.”

Was Justin thinking of ending their marriage? He knew he wasn’t the best husband in the world but didn’t think it would be over before in half a year.

“Do I need to be worried?”

“No. Well, I don’t know. If you’re asking if I’m thinking about ending us and uprooting our family, no. I have something that’s just about me that I need to work out. It involves you and I promise I’ll get your input but just give me the weekend.”

“Ok. Bye.” He didn’t want to admit he was hurt Justin wasn’t confiding in him. When did he become this person? He hung up before Justin could reply.

A while later there was a quiet tap on his door. It had to be one of Justin’s because his didn’t care if they bothered him.

“Come in,” he called out.

Krista walked in, she looked nervous. “I’ve come to get Bea. Dad texted and asked me to give her a bath.”

Brian looked over at the toddler who had fallen asleep on his floor. “Might as well wake her now or she’ll never sleep tonight.” She nodded and walked over to pick Bea up. Something caught his attention. “What’s that?” he asked, pointing at her finger. It wasn’t a ring someone would get for themselves; it was a ring someone would give to someone they liked.

She looked at her hand and blushed. “Oh, this? It’s nothing.” Shoving her left hand in her pocket. He wouldn’t push for the information on the ring, let her have a little privacy in this madhouse.

“You know your father worries about you?”

“I know. I just can’t tell him somethings. I don’t want him to hate me.” She sat down on his sofa.

“He could never hate you.”

“You don’t know. People can hate their kids; they do all the time.”

“Not your father. Why don’t you run it by me? I promise I won’t tell him if you don’t want me. I never lie, you can ask my kids.”

She nodded and bit her lip to the point of bleeding. “My freshman year, an older boy started to show interest in me. I didn’t really like him, but it felt good to be wanted. That’s sounds stupid, I know.” It didn’t, it sounded like being human, but he kept his mouth shut, scared she would stop talking.

“I skipped the fourth grade, so I was a year younger than everyone. Because I was only thirteen, I kept it quiet from Dad, I didn’t want him to get out of shape because a sixteen-year-old was giving me attention. He invited me over to a party. I told my dad I was going to study at the public library. He dropped me off and said he would be back in a few hours to pick me up. The boy picked me up from there.

“I was so nervous about the whole thing, but it felt exciting, doing something that I wasn’t supposed to do. I was the youngest at the party, but he was being so nice I didn’t care. That was until he took me upstairs. I was so stupid to walk into that room with him.” A churning in his gut started happening, he knew where this was going.

“First, it was kissing, I didn’t really want to but didn’t want him not to like me anymore or think I was a baby. But then he started to push me down, his hands under my shirt. I told him no and tried to push him off, but he was so much bigger than me. I clawed at him, scratched his arms and face but he quickly had me pinned. The things he was saying I wouldn’t want to repeat. He had my wrists pinned over my head with one hand, he was so much bigger than me. With his other he went to open my jeans.”

He wanted to tell her to stop telling him, but he knew this was a secret she had kept in way too long already.

“The door open, he locked it, but it must have been broken. Gus came stumbling in with a girl. He saw me pinned and crying. He pulled the boy off of me and there was a huge fight. Gus got a black-eye and a broken nose for his trouble.” Brian had remembered that Gus had told him it was a fight over a girl, he wasn’t lying he guessed. “He wanted me to go to the police, said that him and the girl would back up my story. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.

“I didn’t know how hard it would be to see him every day, to hear the things he said about me. I kept quiet though, just hoping he would stop but he never did. Grabbing me when he walked by me in the hallway, saying crude things when no one could hear but me. I started cutting, and then my sister and dad found out. I couldn’t even tell my doctors because they are those mandatory reporters, you know? Ended up failing my freshman year, couldn’t concentrate unless I was cutting.

“But I started to get help and last year was his last, so I thought finally. Finally, I could have some peace. But he failed his senior year and had to repeat. I was looking at another full year with him. Moving here, it was the best thing that ever happened.”

This was not his area of expertise. Lola hadn’t even started dating yet, she had very high standards and none of the boys at school met them. “You father would have done whatever you wanted. He also would have made sure you won’t have to see that boy again.” Brian was going to get a name from Gus as soon as Krista left.

“I couldn’t say the words. I tried but I would chicken out every time.”

“That wasn’t chickening out, that was self-preservation. You don’t have to do this alone. You could also still have justice for what he did to you. Doing what he did to you, chances are he’s done it to others and still will until he’s outed for his crimes.”

“Can I think about it?” she asked meekly.

“As much as you want. You are the one in control, if you decide you don’t want to that’s what will happen. You will not have to do anything. You said you tried to tell your dad, but you couldn’t. Do you want me to?”

“Would you?”

He nodded. “Yes.”

“Can you tell him that I wasn’t going to sleep with him? I just thought he liked me.”

There was never a time he had as this to keep his emotions in check more than now. “He’ll know that. And even if you did want to and planned to, once you said no, everything stops. Even in the middle of sex, you can change your mind. Remember that you never have to do anything you don’t want.” Unless someone forces you, he thought. She was so much smaller than Nina and Lola who were both younger. “Is there anything else you want to say or ask?”

“Lola said she’s a black belt.”

“You want to take karate classes?” That was very doable.

“No, Krav Maga.”

“Well, I guess, if you’re going to do it you might as well go for broke.”

“Is that a yes?”

“I’ll have to ok it with your dad, but I see no reason not, you’re old enough to make decisions for yourself.”

“Thanks,” she said, her eyes a little teary. She bent over and picked up Bea who woke as she was lifted. Once she left, he felt like he could finally breathe at least for a moment, he texted Gus for him to come to his office.

A few minutes later Gus came in with visible hickies on his neck, he guessed Shana was there.

“What’s up?” Gus asked, throwing himself down on the sofa.

“What’s the name of the boy that attacked Krista?”

Gus froze momentarily. “She told you?” He nodded. “She doesn’t want to go to the police. I tried to talk her into it when it happened. I didn’t even know her then.”

“The name.” There was no room for argument. If Krista didn’t want to press charges that was her decision, but Brian had his own way of justice.

“Davis Nicholson.”

“Leave.”

“Dad…”

“I said leave.” Gus looked to really want to argue but he got up and left. Picking up the phone, Brian hit the name that he wished he wouldn’t have to contact again.

“’Lo,” a groggy voice answered.

“It’s six o’clock in the evening, why are you sleeping?”

“Who is this?”

“Your dear old uncle. How would you like to make some money?”

“I guess this is something illegal,” John said, sounding more awake.

“I wouldn’t be calling you if it wasn’t.”

“We’ll I have nothing planned for the foreseeable future.”

 

That was the understatement of the century. His sister had two sons, John, and Peter. Peter was very much like him; he was athletic and got a scholarship and never looked back. John was always breaking the law, getting locked up at the age of eleven the first time. In the beginning Brian had helped Clare with the lawyers’ fees but he would go broke if he did it every time. Once Clare died, John really went downhill. He was living in an apartment that he got with the life insurance from his mom’s death. Brian told him he would pay for her funeral and John could keep all the insurance money; he just didn’t want to hear from him again. Now look where he was. John had only been out of prison for a few weeks, Peter usually kept him informed.

Guess Who by Willameana

 

 

The weekend was causing him to go prematurely bald, he just knew it. Without Justin there, none of the babies wanted to sleep. He ended up with five children in bed with him. Three of them turned sideways and kicked him all night. It was Sunday night and he expected Justin any time now. One thing he was sure of, he could not be the single father of eighteen. He thought ten was bad, but it was a piece of cake compared to eighteen.

His phone rang, making him groan when he saw who it was.

“What?” he growled.

“Well, hello to you too. I just wanted to let you know, I don’t think the boy will be anyone’s problem for a while,” John said, he could hear dogs barking in the background.

“What do you mean? You didn’t do anything stupid did you?” He assumed John would just scare the kid but maybe his druggie of a nephew misunderstood what he was supposed to do.

“Nah, man, I got here to give him a little knock or two. Just as I got here though, he was being dragged out of his house by two cops, he was crying like a little bitch.”

“Do you know what for?”

“I couldn’t very well go up to the cops and ask them. The mom was screaming that her boy was innocent, and you can’t trust whores. So, probably something like that.”

“Thanks, I’ll send the rest of the money.” Just because he wasn’t able to do anything didn’t mean he wasn’t going to and deserved his pay for it.

“Yeah, can you just send it to Macy for the kid? I’ll just end up blowing it all.”

“Sure.” Macy was John’s ex-wife; they had a little girl, but she didn’t allow John to see her. Sometimes when he knew she was in a tight spot he’d send her some money. She also worked for his agency as a receptionist. “Bye.”

There was a knock on his door as he was finishing some work that he had been unable to do with all the kids. They were napping now, and he had a video monitor in the babies’ room.

“What?” he demanded.

“Just me,” he heard Justin say.

Leaning back in his chair, he threw his pen down on his desk. “Well, what are you doing? Waiting for an invitation?”

Justin stepped in and looked a little paler than usual. Maybe something really was wrong.

“How were the kids?” Justin asked, taking a seat on his leather sofa.

“All alive and accounted for. So, are you ready to tell me what the fuck happened?”

“Not yet. Sorry, my head is just all over the place. I promise when I decide what I’m going to do I’ll tell you.”

“Fine.” There wasn’t much else he could say. He couldn’t make Justin talk to him.

“Have you got all the Christmas shopping done?”

“Yes.” He knew he was being short, but he really didn’t care. If Justin wanted to keep secrets that was his business.

“We volunteer at the food bank every Christmas. Usually, we do it for Thanksgiving too but because Debbie had asked, I couldn’t turn her down.”

“My kids usually do fundraisers throughout the year and donate, I’m not sure if they’ve done it this year. I’ve been distracted. I’ll have to ask Gus.” They had started doing it when Gus was six and found out other kids weren’t as fortunate as him and his siblings. It broke his heart, so he wanted to give all his presents to other children. Lindsay thought it was sweet so that’s what he did. After that, Brian told him he could fundraise through the year and donate that to children in need. As one of the children who used to be in need, it did make him feel good.

“I’m pregnant,” Justin blurted out.

Out of everything that he could have said, that hadn’t occurred to him. “But we used protection.”

“They don’t work all the time.”

Brian studied Justin suspiciously. He was sure that Lindsay had trapped him with Gus and continued to secure that he wouldn’t leave with each child. Was Justin doing the same?

“Right.”

“I’m going to terminate and take the risk to sterilize myself. I couldn’t risk it before because I was all my kids had. But now that we’re married, I know if I die, they aren’t going to be left alone.”

“Absolutely fucking not. You are not going to risk your life to sterilize yourself. You’re not leaving me with eight more kids that I didn’t fucking want.”

The words were out of his mouth before he realized what he was saying. They were all true, but he hadn’t meant to be so blunt. Justin looked like he had just been punched.

“Right. I guess that’s that. The termination isn’t as dangerous, so I’ll get that taken care of tomorrow. I’m going to take Bea, Hannah, and Leia to the mall so they can see Santa. I’ve already taken Lucas, Logan, Alicia, and Mitch. The other kids don’t want to see him, I tried to convince the teens it would be a cute picture, but they wouldn’t budge. Also, Lucas is spending the night with Ted and Blake the night of Christmas.”

“Why?”

“Because Ted wants his son to spend some time with him. I’m not going to keep Ted and Lucas from bonding.”

Justin got up and left the room. Brian thought about following but he thought that would look desperate. Hours later Justin and the kids were back, and his husband was pointedly ignoring him like a fucking child.

They were eating dinner at the extra-long table that Brian had custom built for them. Justin had made dinner; he had taken over the lion’s share of cooking and cleaning since he quit his job. During the weekday he could paint to his heart’s content. Brian had to admit, his husband was incredibly talented.

“Dad,” Nina said awkwardly.

“Yeah,” Justin said. Brian noticed his husband wasn’t eating, just pushing his food around his plate.

“I did something, and I don’t want you to be mad.”

The once loud table had quietened, with almost all eyes on Nina.

“I can’t promise I won’t be upset but I’ll listen to whatever you tell me,” Justin told her. His husband was much better with the whole comforting the kids thing.

“I called Papa.”

Brian noticed Krista and Freddie both look down at their plates, it seemed Nina wasn’t alone in this endeavor.

“Alright. I can understand why you did. How is he?”

“He’s getting married. He wants us in the wedding,” Freddie said.

The expression that fell over Justin’s face was disbelief. “That’s great. I’ve always told you that if you wanted a relationship with him, I would do anything in my power to help.”

“Can he come visit the day after Christmas?” Nina asked.

“No,” Justin answered quickly. “We are celebrating Sadie and Adam’s birthdays on that day. Any other day will be fine but that day we’re celebrating as a family.”

There were some annoyed looks, but they nodded. It was decided the kids would celebrate New Years Eve with their other father and his fiancé Greg. Brian couldn’t wait to meet the infamous Ian. Stealing his own children’s vacation money, a real winner there. He was worried that Krista, Nina, Freddie, and Hannah would be hurt by him again. Being raised by a drunk who only cared about himself, he knew the damage a father could do on a child’s psyche.

 


“WAKE UP! SANTA’S BEEN HERE!”

“That’s one of yours. Mine know better,” Brian said, turning over in bed.

“I didn’t know I married Ebenezer Scrooge,” Justin said with a laugh. He had decided to forgive Brian for being an ass because he would need all the support he could get with the termination and seeing Ethan again. Hannah hadn’t even met her sperm donor. At least he tried in the beginning with the three older children but when Justin reached out to Ethan’s mom to let him know he was a father again. Two days later he was sent a text by her saying that Ethan didn’t want anything to do with her. Justin kept the text, he didn’t know why but he did, she was never going to see it.

“How can I be Scrooge? I spent a fortune on presents for eighteen kids.”

“Did you get everything set up last night?” Justin asked.

Justin took everyone over ten to volunteer at the food bank. Brian kept the smaller ones in the room with him while he wrapped presents and told them he was taking them to drop them off for kids in need. There were those presents there too, and the littles loved helping wrap them.

Sitting up, he looked blearily at the door that they had left unlocked for this very reason. Two little boys were standing there, bouncing on their toes. They were wearing matching jammies. Justin had thought it would be cute if they all had the same pjs for Christmas Eve. He was shocked he only had one hold out until Brian told Gus to put on the damn outfit and smile. So, now he had a picture of seven smiling children, one crying baby, four children with their tongues out, three flipping the bird, two pretending a noose was around their necks, one giving the double bird. Then there was his husband who stood there in the pjs and glared at the camera. This picture wasn’t the one for social media. It was for the photo album to be hidden until he dies, and the kids have a good laugh about it in thirty years.

“All right go downstairs and wait for us. You can wake the older kids but not the babies,” Justin told Lucas and Logan.

They closed his door, and he heard their thundering feet on the hardwood running down the hallway.

“Did you call the insurance company?” Brian asked as he got up.

“Yes. He’s insured.”

Gus had been begging for a motorcycle since he was twelve Brian said. Since he would be eighteen in a few months, they decided to get him one. The boy even had a motorcycle license that he got the year before. It wasn’t a new bike, but Gus hadn’t wanted a new one. He wanted a Triumph Tiger and that’s what he got.

“Good, I put together too many bicycles last night, I don’t want to deal with that too.”

“You know you could have gotten them already put together at the store, right?”

“I ordered them online. How was I to know they required assembly.”

“Don’t make me point out the assembly required mark on the website’s page.”

Brian glared at him, and Justin glared right back. Brian was acting like this was his first-time doing Christmas for a big family. He had ten kids by himself for three years since Lindsay died.

Justin washed his face, brushed his teeth, brushed his hair, and then went downstairs leaving Brian bitching about only getting an hour of sleep. Justin only got an hour of sleep too he had been getting everything ready for Christmas dinner, but you didn’t see him whining worse than Bea.

Going into the babies’ room, Hannah and Bea were already awake. Gently he woke Leia up and he cleaned them up and put their matching jammies on. Bea still wore diapers, but Hannah and Leia weren’t out of the accident at night stage. He had just put on some of their normal nightclothes for bed, not wanting the matching jammies to get dirty.

When he finally got the three little girls downstairs Brian was already down there but not wearing his matching pjs.

“Where is your pjs?” he asked his husband.

“Garbage?”

“You threw them away?”

“You said one picture that happened last night.”

“Fine.” Justin gave up when most of the kids came downstairs without their matching pjs. Brian’s kids really, his own were wearing their matching pjs like they had since Nina was born.

It was a feeding frenzy after that. Gifts were ripped open; paper was thrown around the room. Some gifts landed well, some didn’t. Brian had gotten Krista a tennis bracelet and Nina the full series in hardback of Krista’s favorite book series. The girls took care of that and just switched. Then there was Mitch and Lucas’s main presents, the bike with Mitch’s name was too small and the one with Lucas’s was too big. Another switch and everyone was happy, he guessed.

 


The birthday party went well and now it was New Year’s eve. They were expecting Ethan and his fiancé Greg any time now. He could tell how nervous his three oldest were. Hannah didn’t really understand what was going on. Gus and Eric were watching the other kids in the gym, playing a movie on the projector. Ethan was a known flight risk; they couldn’t overwhelm him.

“You don’t have to stick around,” he told Brian for the tenth time.

“Oh, I’m staying around. I have to meet the asshole that abandoned his kids and then stole their money.” Brian’s arms were crossed over his chest.

“Please, just don’t. Ethan isn’t going to win any father of the year awards, but he is their father.”

“Has he been paying child support?”

“I don’t need it.”

“That’s not what I asked, and you did need it when they were small. How is he coming in now after you’ve done all the child rearing being their father?”

They were in the kitchen so the kids couldn’t hear them bicker about Ethan. Something they had been doing since Nina brought his ex up before Christmas. He didn’t know if it was jealousy or just anger at what Ethan did to his children, but Brian was not a fan.

When the doorbell sounded through the house, he jumped a little. It would be the first time he saw Ethan in four years, the last time he fell back in bed with him after a ridiculously short time. He was ashamed of himself but couldn’t picture his life without Hannah.

No one had answered the door by the time he and Brian got to the door.

“Why are we just standing here?” Brian asked.

“I was nervous,” Krista said.

“Now or never,” Justin said as he opened the door.

Justin saw his ex and his ex’s fiancé and did his best not to laugh. Ethan had always been into guys that was around his same body type and height. His ex didn’t want anyone he was dating to be taller than him. This was quite a shock to say the least. Greg had to be six-six if not taller. Ethan looked practically tiny compared to him.

“Come in. I’m so glad you could make it,” Justin said, allowing the two in.

Not only was Greg quite a bit taller but he wore thick glasses and was almost completely bald except an unfortunate combover. If Justin were to guess, Greg was about fifty and not bad looking if it wasn’t for the combover.

“Hey Pop,” Freddie said, giving Ethan a nod, too cool to show emotion.

Nina and Krista awkwardly hugged their other father. Ethan smiled at them, and Justin could still read him after all these years. He was up to something.

“This is Greg Norwood, my fiancé.”

There was fun and light talk for about ten minutes until Ethan asked to talk with him privately. Justin thought it was something to do with visitation or something. Brian begrudgingly let them go speak alone.

“The kids are so excited you came. They really missed you,” Justin said.

“I missed them too. That’s sort of what I wanted to talk to you about.”

Justin shook his head. “You lost me.”

Ethan pulled and envelope out of his coat pocket and handed it to Justin. “What’s this?” he said, taking the envelope.

“It’s a court summons. I’m going for full custody of Hannah.”

Justin sat down hard on the chair. “I’m sorry, I just misheard you. What did you say?”

“I’m going for custody of Hannah. My lawyer says with your track record, sleeping around even being a rent boy, I have a good case. You getting married to a man with ten kids made it even better for me. No judge in their right mind would let you keep her when she has a chance to live with me. She’ll be cared for like she’s not here. I bet she never gets any time alone with you. Now she won’t need to, she’ll have me and Greg.”

“You’re not taking my daughter.”

“Our daughter.”

“You’ve never even met her before tonight.”

“She’ll have a better life with me and Greg. I’m going to make sure of that.”

“You haven’t said anything about the older kids. Don’t you want them too?”

“They are settled with you. I don’t want to disturb them.”

“No.”

“You don’t have a choice. She’s my daughter and I can provide a better home for her than you. Now I’m going to spend some time with my children. I’ll see you in court.”

 

 

Bad Moon Rising by Willameana
Author's Notes:

The next chapter will be the final chapter. I hope everyone likes it. And for those still reading it, we're almost done with it. YAY!

“Alright, tell me why you look seconds away from spitting fire. I thought you were comfortable with Ian taking the kids for the night.”

Ethan had just left with the oldest three, he would have forbidden it if he actually thought he would run with them.

“He’s trying to take her.” His voice shook, not because he was sad or upset. It was because he wanted to tear stripes off Ethan’s back. He wanted to drown him in a river. Alright, maybe he was being a little dramatic, but the asshole was trying to take a little girl he never cared about before. Who was even pushing this? No way it’s Ethan, he never wanted anything to do with any of the kids. Still didn’t with the older ones. So, what was he playing at?

“What the fuck? He can’t pick and choose when he wants to be a dad. She doesn’t know him.” Brian’s ire calmed him some, Brian knew this was bullshit he was right to be upset.

“He said he wants to be a family with his new fiancé. Why try and adopt a child or use a surrogate when you have a ready-made child. Didn’t even care about the older three. It would break their hearts. If I actually believed he was serious in wanting a relationship with them, I wouldn’t be angry. But he doesn’t, he’s never cared. The only real question I have is why. He said he wants to be a family but Ethan hates children. They get in the way of his playing; they are dirty and loud. It doesn’t make any sense.”

“Everyone has an alternative motive. Everyone is out for themselves.”

“Are we?” That upset him for some reason, Brian thought he had an alternative motive for being married. But he guessed it was alright since they did get married just because it made sense.

“Out for ourselves? Hell yes, we’re going to bury him in court.”

Over the next month he let Ethan take the kids twice for him and Greg to take them out to do fun activities. Not Hannah though, she screamed bloody murder when Ethan then Greg tried to buckle her car seat in their SUV. Ethan had gotten aggravated and got into his seat and slammed the door. Greg picked her up and brought her back to him. It seemed Greg was actually human unlike his ex who only cared about himself. It wasn’t until after Ethan ran the last time her realized what a true narcissist was.

They had a hearing in six weeks. Why it was so far away he didn’t know but at least he wouldn’t have a chance of losing her until then. His lawyer had said it would look better if he looked like he was trying to help Ethan and the kids have a relationship. It didn’t matter that the reason he didn’t want a relationship between Ethan and his kids was because his ex would just end up hurting them.

“You’re going to have to tell him soon,” Daphne said.

They were having dinner while the kids were all doing their own things. Gus was with his girlfriend; Brian still hates her. Eric took Freddie, Adam, and Mindy to a movie. It was an action movie, and the others turned their noses up to it. Krista was at the library, Nina was with her new boyfriend, Lola was with Nina’s old boyfriend. He was sure they were going to kill each other when that came out. Ted had Lucas and Logan because his son felt safer when Logan was with him, Lucas was still getting used to Ted and Blake. The twins were spending the night with Debbie. Brian had the other eight, since taking over full childcare this was the first time that he had a break, besides his little freakout.

“I know but he’ll be mad.”

Daph moved her plate to the other side of the table and reached across the table and grabbed his hands. “You’re my best friend, I usually pick your side on things but not now. You told him you had a termination, you let him believe you weren’t pregnant any longer.”

“I planned to get one, I just needed time. After I didn’t go to my first appointment, I just kept putting it off and now I don’t want to.”

“It was always your decision but he’s your husband, you have to tell him. If not, you’re going to have to pass the new baby off as one of Leia’s baby dolls.”

“Soon, I promise, just give me a little more time.”

“Fine, I don’t like it but fine.”

The rest of the evening was quite chilly between them. He knew she was right, but he feared if he did tell Brian the truth, his marriage would be over. Just when he was really starting to fall for the man too. Brian had made it very clear, there would be no more children. All he had to do is get Brian to change his mind. He’d have better chance of making pigs fly.

 


Tonight, he was breaking the news to Brian, there was no way his husband wouldn’t notice the baby bump now. It had to be tonight. Since his conversation with Daphne a week earlier, he knew she would tell Brian if he didn’t.

“Hey, Sunshine, I’ve got news,” he heard his husband call from the entranceway. Brian sounded excited so he would wait to tell him his news second.

“That’s funny, I have news too.”

Brian entered the house with a huge smile on his face. It wasn’t really like him. Brian usually was happy or annoyed, those were his two emotions. It must be really good news, which was good it would soften the baby stuff.

“WHAT’S FOR DINNER?” Freddie’s voice called from the stairs.

“I’M ORDERING PIZZA!” He wasn’t feeling well and didn’t want to cook. There were several cheers from all the corners of the house, but no child was seen. The sitter would be dropping the kids off soon. She was brave and took two three-year-old’s and an almost two-year-old to play center.

Meeting Brian in the entranceway he almost tripped on the bookshelf that stuck out just a little, one day he was going to trip but it was a nice place for it. So far, he had been lucky and caught himself before he tripped. They went into the kitchen together; Brian usually got a beer when he came home.

“You sound happy and you’re home early.”

“I am happy and I’m the boss. I was going to wait until the kids got home but I’ll need you on my side.”

That worried him, if he needed to help get his children on his side it was bad.

“That can’t be good.”

“Not good…great. I just got the building I’ve been trying to get for two years. That means next week I fly to Chicago to observe the renovation and start hiring.”

“What? You lost me.”

“I’m opening an office in Chicago. Didn’t I tell you?”

“No, I would remember. How long will you be gone?”

“Not long. Six months tops.”

Justin gaped at him; he couldn’t believe what he just heard. “Six months? You’ll be gone for six months?” He was incredulous.

“I’ll come home when I can but there won’t be much time, I’ll be able to get away.”

Leaving Justin alone with eighteen children and pregnant. Of course, he didn’t know Justin was still pregnant so he couldn’t be judged for that.

“You didn’t think to discuss this with me?” His voice sounded angry, even to himself.

Brian’s eyes narrowed and clenched his jaw. “First, this is my business and not up for discussion. Second, it’s been planned for years, and you don’t get a say.”

Call him a bitch but that pissed him off. If Brian wanted to play this game so, be it. He was done being a doormat. He let Ethan walk all over him for years, now the man thought he could take his child away from him. Then Brian thought he could just say he’s leaving for six months, and he was such a doormat he wouldn’t say anything.

“When are you leaving?” he asked.

His husband seemed to relax, just where he wanted him.

“Tomorrow.”

The clock on the wall read just after 4pm, instead of responding to Brian he just watched the second hand. It was a clock he brought from his first apartment. It was a crappy bedsit that he had three kids living in a tiny apartment that was meant for one very small person. One of his neighbors moved out and he helped them move. She saw his interest in the clock and gave it to him. It was a cheap plastic clock that was originally black, but his children had long ago painted over that. Now it was multicolored with stickers. You can’t even see 5 to 8 anymore. But it reminded him of a simpler time. It was before George, and he was still hustling but he had more freedom than he has now.

“Are you even listening to me?” an annoyed voice broke through his thoughts.

“Huh?”

“I said, I’ll send Ted if you really have a problem with it. It’s been a while since I’ve had to check with another person. I don’t play well with others.”

For the first time since Brian got home, he felt like smiling. “No, I understand how important this is. Just next time, maybe not so much out of the blue, yeah?”

“Yeah. I’ll be here when we go to court, I promise.”

“Thank you for remembering.”

“She’s mine now too.”

 


                                           FOUR MONTHS LATER

 

“It’s the judgement of the court, that is in the best interest for Hannah Taylor, that she shall be removed from Justin Taylor- carrier father and put in the custody of Ethan Gold- donor father. The hand over will take place noon tomorrow at Justin Taylor’s residence.”

His ears were ringing, there was no way this woman just gave his daughter to a near stranger. Daphne gripped his hand hard. He hadn’t let any of the kids come, except Hannah because he was forced to bring her.

“This can’t be happening,” he said, feeling numb.

“Where the fuck is Brian?” Daphne hissed even though she knew.

His husband hadn’t been back since he first left. It was always something new. His friends had been suspiciously missing. Ted hadn’t even come to see Lucas. It only led to one conclusion, his husband had found someone new and was leaving him. Right now, he couldn’t care less, he would not give his daughter up.

“Daphne, I-

“I know. I’ve got sick time, emergency time and vacation time. I’ll take it all, I’ll have about three months.”

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and handed it to her. They walked outside the courtroom; he picked up Hannah from the child advocate. When they were walking out, he was confronted by his lawyer. For the best custody lawyer in the Pitts, he sucked.

“Don’t worry, I will fix this. He’ll only have her a year at most. You’ve got visitation, that’s something.”

“Yeah, two days a week during the day. It’s shit, that’s what it is.” He turned away and followed Daphne outside.

After buckling Hannah in her booster, Daphne got in the passengers’ seat of the van.

“I can’t take my car or Brian’s, the van is out too, they can be tracked,” he said.

“What about Brian’s jeep?”

“It’s not traceable and it’s 20 years old. That might work.”

The kids were at work and Lea and Bea were at the sitter’s. Grabbing some clothes and toys for Hannah, then some clothes for himself. He went into Brian’s office and opened the safe.

“Wow, how much money does he have in there?”

“100 grand.”

“Holy shit, Justin, where did he get all that money?”

“He keeps it for emergency, like a sale at Armani. I can pay him back when everything’s over.”

Grabbing his hand, Daphne turned towards him. “Are you sure this is the right decision?”

“You know it’ll be twice as hard to get her back after losing custody. I need you to go to get a new lawyer, something is wrong with this one. It’s like he didn’t even try. Almost like he was working for Ethan. How did Ethan come out of this looking rosy, and I looked like the whore of Babylon?”

“I don’t know but I’ll find out. I promise. I’ll also castrate your lousy, piece of shit husband. I still think running is a mistake, but I’ll support whatever you do. But what if he takes the other three in spite?”

“They are old enough to make decisions for themselves. I would hate it and do everything to get them back. But Hannah is too little to protect herself. I don’t know what they are up to, but I don’t trust Ethan.”

“Says the man going on the run with a three-year-old. I’ll do it, for you.”

He smiled slightly. “Take care of my kids, all seventeen of them.”

“I promise. You’ll have to come back in three months anyway, you can’t have this baby on the run. No one would be there to take care of Hannah.”

“I don’t think it’ll be that long. Just make sure to tell Brian and the new lawyer something was really fishy. The judge wouldn’t listen to anything my lawyer put up what little he did, my lawyer acted like he just got out of law school, not the top custody lawyer for twenty years. And Ethan was smirking through it all, but his fiancé looked guilty, he’s the weak link. Look I’ve got to go and get miles between us before noon tomorrow.”

She hugged him. “I would say call me, but I know you can’t. A non-custodial parent taking their child, cops are going to search hard.”

“We’ll be fine, just as long as the kids here are fine.”

“I’ll have Brian hire a live-in nanny until we fix this.” She sighed. “Maybe three.”

One last hug, he picked up Hannah from where she was sleeping on his bed, shoved the money in the bag and took Brian’s jeep keys. Looking around one last time, he left hoping he wasn’t making the biggest mistake of his life.

 


“We need to tell Justin,” Ted said over the phone.

“I told you if you do, you’re fired.” Testicular cancer. Who would have thought? Not him. He was so sick after the treatment he couldn’t do anything. He dropped the ball with Justin…literally.

“He’s going to face that asshole in court today…without you.”

“Shit, I forgot.”

“Maybe because you haven’t spoken to him in months.”

“Just drop it Ted, there’s no way they’d give Hannah to that prick Ian. Justin is stronger than you give him credit for.”

“If that’s what you want to believe fine but I’m going to start seeing Lucas again and you can’t forbid it. We’re not your little minions to do what you say.”

After Ted hung up Brian fell face first on his bed. All he wanted to do was curl up and die. How can the treatment be worse than the disease?

End Notes:

Sorry the dialog is so stiff. I wrote half months ago then finally got back to it. Problem was that it was hard to fall back into the story. Hope you like. 

The End of the Road by Willameana
Author's Notes:

This story is finished. YAY. I hope you like this last chapter. It does have some sad parts. TW- Mentions of explostions and loss of limbs. Also mentions of complications in labor. 

“What are we going to do?” Alicia asked, her voice raw from crying.

When they got home, they found out that Justin lost his case and they wanted to give Hannah to the deadbeat. They were in the gym, away from Daphne and the woman she just hired. She said she tried to call Dad, but he wasn’t picking up. Something was wrong, he never went more than a day without calling.

“I’m going to Chicago,” he told them.

“That’s stupid Gus. You don’t even know where he is,” Eric said shaking his head.

Lucas started to cry. “I want my dad and Hannah back.”

Krista who was sitting on the gym floor by her siblings pulled Lucas onto her lap, trying to calm him. It’s been total radio silence for them. Daphne gave them very little information, just that Justin lost custody and went on the run with Hannah.

“THERE YOU ARE!” a voice shouted from the outside door.

Looking up he saw Emmett, looking angry, something he never did. He didn’t know why they were in trouble; they weren’t the ones that abandoned their family like their parents. While he understood why Justin ran it still didn’t make it right. Didn’t he know when they caught him, they would throw him in jail for a long time and give Hannah to Ethan?

“You kids shouldn’t be hiding in here; you almost gave me a heart attack. There is a lot you need to know. Eric would you and Nina take everyone seven and under to Daphne in the living room and come back?”

Nina and Eric took Lucas, Logan, Leia, and Bea to Daphne and were back quickly. They all turned their eyes to Emmett, waiting for what was going on.

The tall man sat on the gym floor, he was wearing leather pants and a black sparkly shirt, it couldn’t be comfortable. He must have been planning to go out before he was called in.

“What’s going on?” Lola demanded.

That started the other kids demanding answers, it was getting out of control.

“SHUT UP!” Emmett yelled, everyone stopped talking and looked at him with surprised eyes. “Thank you. As you know, your father Justin took Hannah and ran after losing custody. While I don’t agree with his decision, that’s all I’m going to say about that. What you don’t know is what Teddy just found out. Your father Brian is sick and was going through treatment. He just finished but he’s very weak and still sick from it. Michael went to get him. When he gets back, he won’t be able to take care of anyone, not even himself. I’m going to come and help your dad with his healing.

“Now here is where I expect lots of hollering. He’ll be very sick and won’t be able to deal with noise and kids coming in and out of his room bringing germs in. Everyone under sixteen will be staying with family.”

“WHAT?” Freddie yelled.

Emmett looked at him then looked at the rest. “As I was saying, you’ll be staying with family. Leia and Bea will be staying with Justin’s sister Molly. Lucas, Logan, and Mitch will be staying with Ted and Blake. Mindy and Alicia will stay with Darren.” Gus heard the two squeal, they loved Darren and staying with him, they’ll get to play dress up the whole time. They had some store-bought princess costumes one year for Halloween. But when Darren saw, when he was done, they looked right out of a movie.

“Adam, Freddie and Sadie will be staying with Deb.” There were groans from all three. “Noreen and Natasha will be staying with Daphne. Gus, Eric, Lola, and Krista will be staying here.”

“Umm…what about me?” Nina asked looking pissed.

Emmett’s eyes got big. “Shit, I forgot all about you. I’m sorry, baby. Let me think.”

Nina stood up, glaring at Emmett. “Don’t bother, I’ll take care of myself.” She swanned out of the gym like the true diva she was.

“Why can’t she stay with us?” Krista asked.

“I guess she’ll have to but all of you are responsible to get yourselves to and from school. Keep up to date on the grocery list and I’ll get what you need but I won’t be cooking it.”

“What’s wrong with Dad?” Noreen asked.

“He’s got cancer, but we hope his treatment worked. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

“What kind of cancer?” Sadie asked.

Emmett looked torn but finally relented. “I guess this will be important knowledge for Brian’s boys. Testicular cancer.”

“What’s that?” Mitch asked curiously.

“It means they have to cut his balls off,” Adam said.

“No, it doesn’t stupid,” Freddie said with a snort. “How can you breathe with an IQ in the single digits.”

Before anyone could stop him, Adam lunged at Freddie and soon they were rolling around on the floor, throwing punches that thankfully missed. He was going to let it be until they almost hit Alicia who was near them looking upset.

Gus grabbed Freddie and pulled him away just as Eric did the same to Adam.

“What the hell is wrong with you two? You two have been like this for weeks. Tell me,” he demanded of the two fourteen-year-olds.

“None of your fucking business,” Adam snarled before looking at Emmett. “And I’m not fucking staying with anyone. This is my home. If you try and make me, I’ll fucking call the police.” With that Adam ran out of the gym.

All eyes turned to Freddie who seemed to lose his fight. He just shrugged and lowered his eyes. That was very different from the happy, loud boy who loved sports. The last few weeks he hadn’t even gone riding or skateboarding.

“Well, that was something. I’m not going to fight. Adam and Freddie can stay if they want to, but the same rules apply. That means you two can stay with Debbie,” Emmett said to Alicia and Mindy.

“NO! We’re staying at Darren’s, we’ll get to help with one of his outfits,” Mindy said. Alicia crossed her arms over her chest.

“I’m not staying at Debbie’s alone,” Sadie snapped.

“I’m done with this, you want to decide everything, do that. I’m out,” Emmett said, throwing his hands up and leaving angerly.

“Was it something we said?” Eric deadpanned.

They were all too pent up for too long the small joke made most of them laugh, all except Mitch and Alicia who seemed not to get the joke.

 


Michael was being a mother hen and Brian was going to kill him. All he wanted to do is get home and see his kids. Then he’d be able to find what the fuck Ian was up to. There was no way he should have gotten full legal and physical custody of a child that didn’t know him. He just got off the phone with the new lawyer he gotten for Justin’s case since his last one was shifty. The new lawyer said that Judge Chastain, was known to take a bribe but they could never catch him at it.

“Leave me alone,” he muttered to Michael as he kept asking if he was cold. They were in the air, and he wanted to throw his best friend out the door. It was a good thing he wasn’t strong enough to even lift a pen.

“I’m just worried for you. Why didn’t you tell us? We all thought you and Justin was having problems.”

“Why would you think that?”

“Because of the baby.”

That caused Brian to freeze mid falling asleep. “What?”

“What do you mean what?”

“What baby?” His head was killing him and Michael talking in circles wasn’t helping.

“Yours and Justin’s.” Now Michael was looking unsure of himself.

“What’s wrong with Bea?” If Bea was hurt and no one told him, he was going to go off, no matter how ill he was.

Michael shifted. “No, the one Justin is pregnant with.” Michael paused and his brown eyes widened. “You did know about the baby, right?”

Not wanting to look like some fool, he nodded his head. “Yeah, just still fucking sick. You can’t expect me to remember everything.” Like his husband betraying him. There was only one reason to keep the pregnancy hidden and that was if the baby wasn’t his. Justin must have gotten pregnant not long after the termination.

After he sorted out his kids and got started keeping his lying husband out of prison, he’ll figure out what to do about staying in the marriage. Justin was the one that wanted complete monogamy, and this is what he does? He wondered which of his friends this time was the baby daddy. Ted again? Maybe someone from his previous life?


 

There were only so many options of places you can get that doesn’t require a license or credit card. That’s how he found himself at a scary looking motel in the middle of nowhere. The clerk had given him the creeps when he looked at his extended stomach. While tons of people outwardly called him a freak and told him he was against God, it was the quiet ones that were worse. They were the ones that waited for their moment to strike. Because of that besides locking the door he also locked the lock chain. He stripped the bed and put on the bedding he had bought at the store a few days ago. Because of the places they are staying he wouldn’t put his daughter on those sheets. No telling what communal disease she would get.

“Daddy, I’m hungry,” Hannah whined.

This was hard on her; well, it was for the both of them but more for her. She’d never known a day she wasn’t surrounded by her brothers and sisters. Then there was the hair, because they were being looked for, he had dyed both of their hair. His took a medium shade brown and he had lightened Hannah’s brunette hair to a dirty blonde. He felt bad about dying her hair when she was so young. She wasn’t liking it either, she cried for hours that it wasn’t her hair. More and more he started to feel like a monster. It was too late now though. If he went back home, he would be arrested, and Hannah would be with Ethan until she was eighteen.

“Here baby, eat this,” he handed her an orange he peeled earlier and bagged.

“I wanna go home,” she cried, throwing the orange slice across the room. She had an arm; she probably would be athletic like Nina and Freddie.

It wasn’t until after he ran, he realized how badly he fucked up. There was no way he would get custody of her now. He probably would lose all rights to all of them. George’s daughter had tried to get custody of Sadie and Mitch for years. It was all because George left them all his money and property for when they turn twenty-one, but she wanted her hands on it. Ted wouldn’t have trouble getting Lucas, and Brian would be able to snatch Bea and the new baby away from him without breaking a sweat. It didn’t make sense why Brian would promise to be there but stand him up.

“We can’t go home yet. But we’re having a great vacation, yeah? Just you and Daddy.”

“Freddie’s reading me a story.”

“I know, baby. But he’ll finish when we go home.” Probably not because she’ll be at Ethan’s. Maybe Ethan will take the others too. His life was over, there was no way he would get out of prison before his children were adults. How could he be so dumb and careless to run off? Daphne hadn’t stopped him, but she was there during the Ethan years. She knew how he was with the kids, a few times he suspected Ethan had hit Nina but couldn’t get her to tell him. Nina was so headstrong even at a young age, Hannah was just like her. There was only one hope left, that Brian would figure a way out of this. But he hadn’t reached out after a few days in Chicago. That had to mean he didn’t care anymore, and his friends knew.

 


“So, get this, the judge is Ethan Gold’s uncle, he’s married to Ethan’s aunt,” the lawyer said, a huge grin on his face.

“Isn’t that an ethics violation?” Eric asked.

They were all in the kitchen, even the little ones. The lawyer his dad called said he had huge news. He delivered, finding out that the whole custody hearing was a sham. It wasn’t even a real hearing; everything was fake even the custody papers. Also, they paid a huge amount to Justin’s great lawyer to do a bad job even during the fake hearing. Meaning…Justin didn’t kidnap Hannah; she was never not in his legal custody.

“It’s a motherfucker of a violation and they all are falling like dominoes and taking down everyone they can. Justin and Hannah’s case was just the tip of the iceberg. You don’t have to worry about anything. They won’t go after Justin for so much as a parking ticket now.”

“Can you at least tell us why they did all this?” Sadie asked.

The lawyer shook his head. “Ethan’s fiancé’s mother just died. She has a stipulation in her will that her son Greg would have to be married with a child before he gets the money. Nothing about being biological so they thought the easiest would-be Hannah.”

“That’s stupid,” Freddie snorted. “If they were smart it would be Krista. Two more years and she’s off to college and out of their hair. Ethan never wanted us; he would be signing himself up for all the years he ditched us for.” Eric was surprised to hear Ethan call his father Ethan, but he guessed he broke all love for him when the man did this.

“I guess I’m asking the question everyone’s thinking. How do we get dad and Hannah back?” Krista asked. “He doesn’t know any of this, he’s still running.”

His dad stood up and crossed over to Daphne. “I need you to tell me where he would go.”

“I don’t know. He’s never been west of Chicago.”

“Where would he go if he could go anywhere…in the continental US. Not somewhere he would have to get on a plane for or use his passport.”

“He’s never talked about any place special. Not even when we were kids. Soon as he had Krista, his kids were his life,” Daphne said.

“Then where does Hannah want to go?” Brian asked suddenly.

“Dinosaur World!” shouted several of Justin’s children.

“Dinosaur World?” His dad looked confused.

“It’s in Cave City, Kentucky. Dad had some pictures in a book and sketched some after we went, it was when Lucas was little. Hannah would look at the photos and tell us she wanted to go. But Dad kept putting it off, he would try to make it up to her,” Sadie told them.  

“Ok, I’m going to Kentucky,” his dad said.

“You can’t. Look at you, you’re not going anywhere but to bed,” Ted said firmly.

“The fuck I am. I’m driving down to Kentucky.”

“You can’t drive to the mailbox,” Debbie chastised.

“I’ll have Gus drive me.”

“You could barely stand the flight. Just go to bed and we’ll go get them.” Emmett gestured between him and Ted.

“No, it should be family. I’ll go get them,” Gus said.

“Me too,” Krista added.

Eric knew that it would become a whole thing after Logan opened his big mouth.

“I’ve never been to Dinosaur World,” Logan said, excitement in his eyes.

That’s how two huge vans, two SUVs and a small compact found their way down to Kentucky with his father sleeping on a makeshift bed in the back of Emmett’s SUV.


 

“Don’t you think we’ve gone enough?” Justin was ready to run himself into a brick wall.

Since they got to Cave City three days ago, they had gone to Dinosaur World three times. Unlike Disney World there isn’t three days’ worth of anything. There wasn’t half a day’s worth of anything. But she seemed to love it, but the Velociraptors scared her, so they gave them a big birth.

“I want to show Honey my new dress,” she said, twirling around.

Honey was the Dinosaur Keeper. That just meant a few times a day she went behind the wood fence that really wasn’t a fence and made sure no one threw garbage on them. Hannah was a big fan of hers. She wanted Honey to like her too.

“I’m sure Honey will love it. After all she’s the one that picked it from the gift shop.” Honey’s plan was for him to spend every bit of Brian’s emergency fund at the gift shop. They already had so many stuffed dinosaurs, cups, tumblers, shirts, fossils, fake teeth, jewelry, figurines and dino action figures for all the kids to have five. She had picked out a present for each of her siblings. Gus was going to be a little surprised when she gives him his brand new ruby neckless.

They stopped by a small diner for breakfast, Hannah wanted way more than she would eat. He didn’t stop her order though; he would eat what was left. The baby gave a kick, seemingly agreeing with his idea, this baby was much more active than any of the rest. They were seated in the corner, just to stay out of sight of the window. He hadn’t seen an alert or anything, but it didn’t mean there wasn’t one. Parental kidnapping is still a crime.

Looking at the menu, he didn’t pay attention to anyone coming in and out until Hannah squealed.

“DAD!”

“Shh, baby, what do you need?”

“Not you Daddy, I was talking to Dad,” she said matter-of-factly. A cold chill ran down his back. How had Ethan found them?

Turning to face the music he was surprised to see the gaggle of people coming in the small diner.

“Cheryl, get off your ass, I’m going to need help,” the waitress yelled to the back.

Instead of worrying how they found them and if they were now in trouble all he saw was how sick Brian looked. He looked like he was going to pass out any minute.

“Kentucky? Really?” Brian said before sitting and scooting in beside Hannah who giggled before she noticed her new sister.

“Leia! Move Daddy, move. I want Leia to sit by me.” She was pushing him with all her might. It went to show how weak he was, she actually moved him a bit.

“Why don’t you go sit with Leia while I talk to your dad,” Brian asked her. She wiggled down and crawled under the table before running to join Leia who was at a six top with Gus, Eric, Krista, and Nina. All five hugged her tight when she went around the table waving at her adoring fans.

“What does she think this was?” Brian asked, his voice weaker than normal but Justin could feel the steel behind it.

“A vacation just us two because she was a brave girl by going into the courthouse and speaking to the social worker.”

A shadow fell over Brian’s face. “About that.”

“What?”

“It wasn’t real. None of it. The judge had his friends do their jobs “off the record.” You never lost custody, it was all a sham from Ethan using his uncle, the judge.”

“Fuck! How could he? Why would he?”

“Money, what else.”

Justin looked at his kids, pained. “Do they know?”

“Yeah, they’ve cut all contact with him. The lawyer said Ethan will be spending time in jail for this, so will his accomplices if their judge isn’t corrupt.”

“What does all that mean?”

“You’re not going to prison; you didn’t steal her.”

It was like a weight was lifted off of him and he could finally hear the laughing from his family. His family. The loud, crazy bunch that was making the two servers look overwhelmed until Debbie patted one on the shoulder and started working.

“Why didn’t you come back? You promised.”

Brian sighed. “I found out I was sick.”

Justin dropped the spoon he was twirling in his hand. He hadn’t gotten his food yet but that was to be expected with all the new customers.

“Sick? What’s wrong?”

“I’ve gotten a clear scan; I want you to know that first. A week or so after I got there, I was having a little self-love. One of my balls didn’t feel normal. I went to the doctor and after a few tests it was confirmed to be testicular cancer. I had a ball removed and radiation. I’ll still have to get tested annually and the boys will have to keep check of themselves but I’m ok. I feel like I’ve been runover but that’s to be expected. That’s why I look like this.”

Justin grabbed his hand and kissed it. “You went through all that alone. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t want to worry you, or the kids and you don’t have a poker face. Well at least I thought you didn’t. Have any news to share?” Brian’s eyes shot down to his stomach that wasn’t really hidden by the table. Thirty-five weeks was almost time.

Lowering his head, he trembled. “I couldn’t do it. All I could think of was I almost did the same to Lucas. I didn’t need the new mouth to feed. I didn’t know the name of his father. But I changed my mind in the end. I can’t imagine my life without having him. For Eric, it was the right decision, he’s so young and has a whole life in front of him. He’ll have a free life now after having the sterilization. He can actually have a college experience. But for me, I’m over thirty and married this time. It just doesn’t make sense to me. I hope you don’t end our marriage over this, but I’ll understand if you do.”

Brian huffed. “Would it have been easier? Yes. But I never tried to make the decision for you. It’s really too late now. Do you know what it is?”

“No, haven’t been to the doctor since I was seven weeks. I’ve been taking my vitamins though.”

Brian’s already pale face paled more. “We have to get you checked. Lindsay died while having Leia.”

“I have C-Sections. It’ll be alright. I’ve done this eight times before.”

“Lindsay had nine children before and it still happened,” Brian muttered.

“DINOSAUR WORLD! DINOSAUR WORLD!” the chant started from Lucas and Logan but caught on like fire.

“Dinosaur World it is,” Justin said before looking at Brian. “Are you sure you’re up for this? It’s a bit of a walk with excited children.”

“Do you have a hotel room?”

“I’ve got an idea.” Justin got up and went to the tables with all the adults, minus Debbie who was now serving plates. “Can you guys take the kids to Dinosaur World. Brian’s getting paler, I want to get him to rest in the hotel room.”

“No problem, just take care of him,” Ben said.

On the way home later that day, Justin was glad that his husband was getting better. He just got him; he didn’t want to lose him now.


 

The night before his appointment to get checked, he went into labor. When Brian asked him if he was sure, he stopped himself from throwing something at him.

They left the big kids in charge of the smaller ones and headed to the hospital. On the drive he called in to the hospital since he didn’t have a doctor anymore. They said their doctor on call was one of their best. They probably said that about all the doctors. It wasn’t like they would say “This is Dr. John, he’s not the best but he hasn’t killed anyone this week.”


 

They took Justin straight back and told them they would come get him when they got him into surgery. As the time passed, he felt Déjà vu waiting for word. This is what happened with Lindsay, they kept him in the waiting room. He watched as families entered and left to see their new members of the family. Pacing wasn’t really his thing, but he was pacing the floor. Just as he was about to go find someone, a doctor came out with a look on his face. It was a look he recognized it was the face he saw on the doctor that told him Lindsay was gone.

“No,” he denied before the doctor opened his mouth. “No.”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Kinney, we did everything we could, but they didn’t make it.”

Everything got really quiet in his head, but the man was still talking. There was no way this happened again. This time he lost the baby too. Why did this happen again? He had been faithful to his husband and after a few hiccups they had a real marriage. He closed his eyes and screamed.

“BRIAN!” a familiar voice called, and someone was shaking his shoulder.

He startled, sitting up with wide eyes. His eyes sought out the voice. Michael was there in his Captain Astro pajama bottoms and t-shirt.

“What’s wrong?” Michael asked.

He didn’t want to say it, it would make it real. “They didn’t make it,” he cried, tears flowing freely.

“What? I just saw Justin, he’s the one that asked me to come get you. The doctor tried to wake you up, but he couldn’t.”

His mind swirled, too many confusing things. “You saw Justin? Just now?”

“Yes. See,” Michael said, showing his wristband that allowed him inside Labor and Delivery.

“Did you see the baby? Is it alright?”

Michael smirked but nodded, not saying anything though and that was weird. “Go on, see your husband.”

After getting the wristband from the nurse’s station, he entered the secure wing. There was a nurse that looked frazzled, but she smiled once she saw a woman in a gown walking.

“I’m so glad you’re getting around better, Jessica.”

He ignored the rest of the conversation and looked for Room 324. It was down a dead-end hall, but he found it with no trouble. Inside, Justin was sleeping, his blond hair had grown back from him dying it. Justin had confessed he only used a two-week dye on his and Hannah’s hair.

There wasn’t any cot in the room so they must be feeding the baby.

“Are you just going to stand there and stare at me?” the sleepy voice asked.

“How can I not when this is the view.”

Justin snorted and gently moved to sit straighter, not wanting to bust his stitches. “I know we talked about it, but no decision was made. I wanted this to be my last pregnancy, so while they had me open, I had them do the surgery. It was riskier but it was already a huge risk. They said it was successful and I’ll be fine in a few months.”

He didn’t know what to say to Justin for having such a dangerous procedure without telling him but now it was over. If something should happen. Brian had already gotten a vasectomy, add that to his one real ball he shouldn’t have any problem. But Justin had been worried and didn’t want to go through this again. Not to mention nineteen was plenty enough.

“I didn’t want you to have to go through this alone. I’m just glad you’re ok. I had a terrible dream in the waiting room.”

“Is that why you look like you’ve seen a ghost?”

“I guess so. So, tell me…June or Jasper?”

“I told you we’re not using those names. Oh, Freddie called me a little while ago.”

“Are they still fighting?”

“Yep.”

Adam and Freddie had been fighting for months but no one could get it out of them why.

“They’ll get over it.”

Justin laughed. “I may have guilted him into telling me.”

“That’s something my mother would do but if it’s to our advantage I’m fine with that. So, spill.”

“It’s over a girl.”

“Fucking hell, something so mundane as a girl?”

Justin rolled his eyes. “And that’s why they didn’t want to tell us. They didn’t want their older siblings making fun of them either.”

“So, what is it about this girl that is making them sworn enemies now?”

“Her name is Olivia and she’s the prettiest girl in the whole school, according to Freddie.”

Brian shook his head. He knew shit about puppy love, but he knew hormones. “Tell him to keep it wrapped and I’ll tell Adam the same thing.”

“I was thinking that maybe you should do more things with just them. They’re at a very delicate age. When the girls were going through it, I had Daphne come talk to them. I could help with all but their bodies. Even though I could have kids didn’t mean I’m built like them. I’m just a side effect from a corrupt government.” They never really talked about it, but maybe they should. Eric was a carrier, maybe one of the other boys would be too.

“Who wants to see their daddy?” a female voice said, coming in the room. She was pushing a clear cot with a baby that was fussing in it.

“Lisa, this is Brian, the other father,” Justin introduced him.

“It’s good to meet you,” she said smiling.

“Someone doesn’t want to be left out,” a male voice said, pushing another clear cot in the room.

With his brain short circuiting it took him too long to realize there were two babies in the hospital room.

“What?”

“Yeah, seems the embryo split. Meet your identical twin sons,” Justin said with a laugh.

Brian said the only thing he could think of. “Noreen and Natasha are going to kill me. They liked the twin thing just being theirs.”


 

 

                                       Epilogue

 

“I swear if you leave anything in this house it’s staying!” Brian shouted up the stairs.

They had lived in this house for eleven years. It was a great place to raise twenty kids, but they needed something smaller now. Not by much because they did still have seven at home and several in college.

Gus was in his last year of med school; he was a nervous wreck most days. He lived in Baltimore going to Johns Hopkins. He was engaged and he liked her much more than the girl Gus ran around with in high school. Brian was just glad he changed his mind about the military.

Eric graduated the University of Tennessee Knoxville with an engineering degree. Now he lived on the west coast in San Francisco. He had the college life that Justin wanted for him. Now he was living the single life and loving it.

Krista got a degree in linguistics at Columbia. She now was working entrance level with the US Embassy in Paris. She had a girlfriend but didn’t think they knew about her. Nina still tattled on her big sister.

Nina decided not to go to college, she instead took a job modeling. She traveled some but didn’t like the life, so she got a job working for a man ten years older than herself. They just had their second child. Justin had to bite his lip so hard in the beginning. Robert was nice though and Brian had to point out he was twelve years older than him.

Lola and her social media personality took off and now she had a house the size of the one they were moving out of with only her living there. Her place was also the place were most of her siblings go to get away from it all for a while.

Freddie and Adam both joined the military. Freddie the Navy and Adam the Marines. Adam stepped on an abandoned landmine while on a peace mission. There were no shots fired, just very horrible luck. It was a miracle he survived. Freddie chose not to reenlist, because he wanted to be there for Adam. Now they live in Hawaii being professional beach bums. At least that’s what he calls them. They both surf in competitions all over the world and even won some. Adam was happier than he was before he joined the Marines, Adam could do whatever he wanted in his eyes. Was that unfair to the rest? Who cares. Both his boys were on his payroll. He used them for models on some of his ads. Adam’s prosthetic legs work for a lot of ads. It keeps them from having to work a nine to five job. Adam earned it.

Mindy was in Los Angeles trying to start a job in acting. She’s had some bit pieces but nothing big. She works for a law office to pay the bills. She was also seven months pregnant. Brian thought they handled the news well. She wasn’t some kid; she had her own place and a dependable job.

Sadie’s in her last year at Stanford but not her last year of school. Her dream is to be a vet and she has a lot of years of schooling ahead of her to get her dream. She took her dog with her so at least she wasn’t alone. She was the one that really didn’t care if anyone was around. It worried Justin that she would shut herself up and not get out. Bunny, her German Shepard, didn’t let her stay inside all the time.

Noreen was a junior in forensic science at the University of Florida. Surprising everyone they started doing more and more things separate and when one decided college and the other marriage, no one really blinked. Natasha married her high school boyfriend and they moved to Alaska for reasons they only knew. Alright, he knew, it was where Jameson’s family was from. She seemed happy and that was all that mattered…so Justin tells him.

Mitch and Alicia were freshman at Texas Tech, they had been trying to one up each other since they were eight. They haven’t declared a major, but he was sure when they did it would be the same. He thought the Valedictorian and Salutatorian would cause WW3.

Then there were the ones they had left in the house. Lucas lived with Ted half the time and with them the other times. He liked to get the quiet at Ted’s. He was sensitive but very happy with his life right now. He wasn’t part of any club or group. But he had Justin’s art talent, so usually he couldn’t be found without a sketch pad. Logan and he weren’t as close as they had been when they were little. They were just too different.

Logan, captain of the soccer team and way too popular to speak to his brother in public. Working a job at the local pizza place and had a on again off again girlfriend. She reminded him too much like Lindsay, so he was keeping an eye on it. Logan’s dream was to go to Northwestern and study law.

Hannah was the queen of the school and knew it. She was such a drama queen like her father. She hadn’t seen Ethan since she was three. The other kids gave him one more shot, each after they turned eighteen. He only did eighteen months in jail for what he did. The kids decided he was too toxic for the lives they wanted to live. He was sure Hannah would go through the same thing.

Leia was his most quiet kid. She was diagnosed with autism when she was four. She didn’t make friends, but Hannah did what she could to involve her. Although Hannah just didn’t want to put on makeup or talk about boys. She wanted to talk about Space, if they didn’t, they were no use to her. Brian couldn’t even count all the places they’ve taken her. Her favorite being Kennedy Space Center.

Baby Bea wasn’t so much a baby anymore. She had an accident when she was six. She was riding in a car driven by Lola, she hit some black ice and wrecked. Lola was alright with a few cracked ribs and bruises. Bea wasn’t as lucky, the car caught on fire before help got there. Lola couldn’t get her out of the back seat. Lola got second degree burns on her arms trying to get her out. Bea got third degree burns on her back. Those were the only scars she had physically still. They tried therapy of every kind, and nothing worked, she was so scared after the fire. Justin on a fluke signed her up to get a service dog for her PTSD. She bloomed after that and now plans to train them when she’s older. Their girl was happy, caring and had a few best friends who would kill a rock for her. What more could they ask for?

Then there were the brats from hell. Jake and Sebastian were now ten and would make a nun run away. Jake was the follower and Sebastian usually got him into trouble. The last stunt got them suspended from school. The principal suggested homeschooling, not for the first time. Justin keeps saying they’ll grow out of it, Justin was delusional. They had their good points; they were very caring. But they couldn’t control their naughtiness which wasn’t helped by eighteen older brothers and sisters who enable them. Like when Eric took them to get fireworks and they blew the door off the barn. He was giving it until they were twelve before he discussed boarding school with Justin. He wasn’t even sure if he was joking anymore. He was just too damn old for such small kids.

After being married five years they found out Justin was sick. Unlike Brian, slicing off a ball would not fix him. It was so bad; they were discussing hospice care. Then after the latest treatment to shrink the tumor on his brain, he went in for the scan. It had shrunk. It never did that before. They finally got the tumor small enough they could remove it. They were going off three years without a recurrence. One of the reasons they were downgrading. They just needed something smaller so if Justin falls, he could be found right away. His balance was great after the surgery, it was a miracle it didn’t mess with his art. Justin was healthy now and they just wanted to live their lives. In eight years, they won’t have any more minor children and they can run away like they planned. Alright, like he planned, Justin would never go for it.

“Why are you threatening our children?” Justin asked with a chuckle, coming up from behind him.

“They always leave things, their as messy as you.”

Wrapping his arms around his husband, Brian leaned into a hug. His nose buried in Justin’s hair. The smell of cucumbers filled his nose, he loved smelling Justin’s hair after he showered.

“No one could be as bad as me,” Justin joked, pulling away. “How do you feel about moving to LA?”

“Worried but you followed me on every idiotic idea I had. I might as well follow your dream.” Justin and Michael had made a comic book and it was a hit. A gay superhero named Rage. It was a tv show now. After a year of begging, they finally convince Justin to relocate. Michael was going to work remote because he couldn’t leave Ben, who was having more bad days than good lately. But he was on a new treatment and that seemed to be working.

“You’re going to love it. You can get a tan anytime you want and live the life of a business owner leaving the work to his grunts.” Brian decided to wait to tell him his plan to open a branch of his agency in California. Also, he knew the real reason Justin gave in, he didn’t want Mindy to be alone when she gave birth or those early years.

Brian smiled at Justin. “I do that anyway.”

“WATCH OUT!” a yell came before a huge duffle bag came flying down the stairs.

“How hard would it have been for him to bring it down?” Brian asked Justin.

“He’s seventeen, so probably a lot.”

Lucas and Logan were going to stay with Ted and Blake until they graduated. That meant, they would be down to five kids in California. They would practically be alone.

“You sure we’re making the right decision? This is the house we became a family in.”

Brian shook his head, drawing Justin close again. “And it did its purpose, we don’t need a place this big anymore. Anyway, this is about you, not them. It’s finally time to think of yourself. The girls will adjust to the move and with any hope the boys won’t burn down a forest.”

“How did I get so lucky with you?”

“I knocked you up in the backroom of Babylon while I was Batman. I can still remember that night, you were so fucking hot as the Joker. I couldn’t wait to get you on your knees.”

“EWWWWW!”

Justin jumped away from him and they turned too the interloper. Standing near them, holding a box with a disgusted look on her face was Bea.

“Bea…” Justin tried to say before she turned around.

“I didn’t know about the backroom part. Ewww.”

They laughed at her and Justice leaving the room. “Was it just me or was Justice giving us a disgusted look too?” Justin asked.

“She’s a dog, I’ve seen her eat her own vomit, she has no room to judge.”

“All our stuff is in the moving vans or the cars. Are you ready for this?” Justin asked.

“I’m ready for any new adventure with you. Besides, who am I to say no to hot bodies on the beach.”

They smiled at each other until they were interrupted yet again.

“Dads, what’s the rules on explosives in LA?” Sebastian asked, holding up a box that he had drawn a comical bomb on the front of, not disturbing at all.

“NO EXPLOSIVES!” they both shouted at the same time.

Their youngest son by two minutes walked away muttering, never a good sign.

“It means he likes science, right?” Justin said hopefully.

“It means he likes blowing shit up. We’ve got the next Unabomber there.”

“He’s too social to be the next Unabomber. Anyway, let’s get out of here before I change my mind,” Justin said, giving him that smile that had won him over so easily the night they met…at the bar not Babylon. “I love you.”

“I guess I could stand you for a couple more years,” he said before wrapping an arm around Justin as they left one life behind to start another. They couldn’t keep the smiles off their faces.

 

 

                                        The End

 

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1607