- Text Size +

CHAPTER 11 – A LITTLE MORE CONVERSATION

 

DAY 14 – EARLY MORNING

 

MEL’S SUITE

 

MEL

 

I had a bit of a rough night’s sleep. The more I think about how Michael traumatised Gus by being thoughtless, the more I think he can’t be allowed to get away with that.  I get up and go see Gus. He’s sitting up in bed looking thoughtful.

 

“Gus, good morning.  You okay?”  I ask, leaning on the door.

 

“Good morning momma. I’m okay but I need to speak to you and daddy about yesterday.”

“Alright, come and brush your teeth and then we’ll go and see daddy.”

 

Brian pokes his head around the door.  “Daddy’s awake. Shall we eat on the balcony while we talk?”

 

Gus shakes his head and sniffs hard. Immediately, Brian picks him up and we head to the lounge.  We sit him between us and wait for him to compose himself.

 

“Shall I get Leather Bear too?”  He nods and I quickly go and get him and he clutches on like a life preserver.

 

“I know what I said about not saying anything about telling Unca Mikey.  Bu-but when he’s upset with someone, he tells them and he’s really loud.  And then he sulks until the person says sorry.  So, I-I think Unca Mikey should be told that he upset me with his cartoon books but not as loud as he does.”

 

I don’t think either of us could be more proud of Gus than we are at that moment!

 

“That’s very grown up of you Gus.  We both agree that he should be told and…”

 

“A-and I think I should tell him.  But I don’t want him to be up-upset with me.”

 

“Hang on a second Gus.”  I tell him and go answer the door to Debs.

 

“How’s my little guy?”  She whispers and I just point to the couch and she’s over in a flash and he looks up at her then scrambles into her lap.  “So what’s happening?”

 

Gus looks at Brian for confirmation and tells her what he wants to do.  “Oh Gus, I am so proud of you!”

 

“Can you and daddy come with me and we do it now?  Momma and Bumpy can go back to bed because I knowed they didn’t sleep very well last night.”

 

“Yes Honey, we can go and do that and you heard your boy, Momma. Back to bed with you!”  Debs orders and then looks at Rhubarb and Custard.  “Make sure she stays there!”

 

Rhubarb has already made his way to the bedroom and waiting patiently for me to follow.  Custard is sitting, as usual, next to Brian, but glaring at me.

 

“Alright I’m going!” I gripe and head back to bed, smiling for the first time since Michael brought Gus back.

 

DEBS

 

My heart is fit to bursting and I go and sit with Mel whilst Brian and Gus get changed.

 

“Ready grandma?”  Gus asks quietly.

 

“Yes let’s go.”  I take one hand and Brian takes the other, then we head off to go see my fudgnucking idiotic son!

 

MICHAEL’S SUITE

 

MICHAEL

 

Last night was pretty good.  Gus was having a bit of a strop last night and insisted that Brian stay with him. Ma went upstairs at some point but didn’t come back. In the end, I went dancing and was out late. I have a hangover and just want a nice plate of pancakes and bacon. So, the hammering on the door is not appreciated.

 

“Oh hi Brian!  You would not believe...”

 

“Can we come in?”  Ma asks, who I didn’t see behind him and she has Gus.

 

“Sure.”  I grin at them but they don’t smile back.  “Is there anything wrong?”

 

Brian looks like he wants to explode and Ma doesn’t look much better.  While she sits down and pats the space next to her she doesn’t look at me.

 

“Sit down Michael, Gus wants to have a word with you.” I sit down and look at the three of them.  Her eyes soften when she looks at him. “Go ahead Gus.”

 

Gus comes to stand in front of me and holds tightly onto his bear.  “Unca Mikey, I want to tell you that you upset me yesterday…”

 

“So what exactly did I do that was so bad Gus?  That you need to tat…”   I pause when she jabs me in the ribs.

 

Seriously what the fuck is going on?!

 

“The cartoon books you gave me to read were scary and the words were too big.  Every time I closed my-my eyes, I saw those scary pictures and I didn’t want to sleep.  So I don’t want to read those cartoon books anymore.”

 

“Is that all?” I feel a bit pissed off that he brought Brian and Ma down to see me to tell me this.

 

“Is that…”  Brian takes a breath.  “Michael, did you even listen to what he said?  He didn’t want to sleep; he was scared.  We had to drag it out of him what was wrong.  He was crying for 30 minutes…do you know how fudgnucking upsetting that was for Mel and I?”

 

“Fudgnucking, what the…”

 

“Don’t!  Just don’t finish that question!”  Ma barks at me.

 

“Gus, can you show me what he gave you to read?”  Brian asks, looking at the pile of comics and brings them to him but Gus looks worried.  “No don’t worry, you won’t have to read any of them again.  Do you think you can recognise the cover?”

 

“Please daddy, I don’t want to look at them.” Gus whispers and I roll my eyes.

 

The look Ma gives me has me folding my arms in annoyance.  “Fine! I won’t do that again.”

 

“No it is not fine Michael.”  She growls.  Again, her eyes soften as she looks at Gus.  “Well done Gus, so proud of you.”

 

“No Mikey.  Not fine at all.”  Brian sneers.

 

He starts to look around my suite and goes around picking up the comics I brought with me and the bag of new stuff that I bought. Before I can stop him, he throws the lot out of the open window.

 

I just sit and stare at him. I can’t believe he just did that!

 

“Ohmygod!”  Ma breathes. She’s as incredulous as I am.

 

He comes up to me and leans in, lowering his voice just enough for Gus not to hear.  “Next time you upset my son in any way, I throw you out of the window.”

 

He takes Gus’s hand and goes to the door. “Debs can you handle the rest?  I’ve got to get Sonny Boy in the shower and to Kids Club. I’m going to spend the day with him.”

 

“Really daddy?”

 

“Yes really.  Do you want to see what daddy and Mr Justin do in the office after Kids Club for a bit before going to soft play with momma?”

 

“Oh yes, yes please daddy.  I can finish off Rhubarb for Mr Justin.”

 

“Great.  Now come on. We don’t want Mr Justin to be mad at us for being tardy!”

 

“Bye grandma, bye Unca Mikey!”

 

I’m still too stunned to speak.

 

DEBS

 

Well if that don’t beat all! I never thought I would see the day that Brian Kinney would do such a thing like that to Michael!  Maybe that will finally get through to him.

 

“Michael?  Michael!” I shout and that spurs him into action to run to the window and look forlornly out at sea!

 

“Ma! Did you see what Brian did?!”

 

“Michael, Gus is 4 years old.  How old do you have to be to get into your store?”

 

“Wh-what?” He stammers before shaking his head to clear it and wincing…good.  “Ten. You have to be ten.”

 

“So why did you give him the fucking comics to read?!” I bark. “Didn’t he say he would go and get his book?  And why if you were so tired, didn’t you let him go back to Mel?”

 

“What the hell are you talking about?!” He yells back. “Why didn’t he say anything when I took him back up?!”

 

“BECAUSE HE DIDN’T WANT TO UPSET YOU!”  I scream at him.  “For the love of God, you have to listen!  Brian was all set to come down here and rip your fucking head off last night.  It was only because he didn’t want to leave Mel to deal with Gus alone that he didn’t!”

 

“I’d rather he done that than what he just did!”  He snaps.  “I paid good money for them!”

 

I get up and walk round the other side of the sofa because I know that if I get too close, I will slap him.  “Grow up Michael. You’re being left behind.  Gus has more maturity than you!”

 

As I turn to leave, I find Tyler standing stunned in the doorway. “Good morning Tyler.  Michael will be dining in his room this morning!  And charge it directly to him!”

 

KIDS CLUB

 

JUSTIN

 

We’re 10 minutes into the start and I’m not surprised that Gus is not here. I would be really surprised if I saw Brian this afternoon. The way Gus was crying was heartbreaking. What kind of moron gives a kid his age that kind of comic?!

 

I look up to the door opening and immediately smile.  They’re here. Gus pulls Brian to his spot and Custard immediately settles down next to them. I look across as they start reading and they seem to be okay. My phone buzzes in my pocket: Tell you later.  I need a drink.  B.

 

I do my inner happy dance!

 

BUSINESS CENTRE ROOM 1 – THREE HOURS LATER

 

BRIAN

 

Gus is sitting and drawing quietly in the corner with Leather Bear, Rhubarb and Custard.  Cyn and Bella have bonded over their loathing of Michael. He’s definitely on both their shit lists as Bella found out from Tyler what happened to Gus.

 

Cyn is due to fly out the day before the presentation. Hopefully she should’ve been calmed down by then. I don’t know any extradition laws for attempted murder when out to sea. The team of the five of us are working really well.  Veronique will be flying in next week and she’s laying on a surprise for us as the winners of the competition.

 

“Can’t you just tell me one thing?!”  I do my best pleading look at Bella and she merely looks at me until I go back and look at the boards. “How the hell did you get the go-back-to-work look that Cyn uses down so quickly?”  I grumble.

 

“I’m a faster learner.”  She chuckles.

 

“Could you teach Michael the art of learning? You know learning how to listen, not interfere in other people’s lives, to grow up, to realise…”  Emmy snickers when I mock-glare at him and point at Gus. “Oh honey, the only reason that he’s not got a side of my tongue is because of what you did.”

 

I glance at Justin but he doesn’t seem to have heard. Then I glare at Emmy again. I want to tell him!

 

“Okay, okay, message received!”  Emmy grins at me knowingly.

 

Sometimes that man is too wise for his own damn good!

 

OUTSIDE SOFT PLAY AREA – AN HOUR LATER

 

BRIAN

 

Gus is tired but more importantly, he’s happy. He’s slightly stumbling back to the suite with Mel and Leda as if yesterday didn’t happen.

 

“Okay Mr Ad Man.  Let’s go.”  Justin tells me, tugging on my hand.

 

“Fudge yeah.”  I sigh, allowing myself to be led back to his quarters.

 

Oh God I don’t want to let go, his hand feels so good in mine!

 

QUARTERDECK F, SUITE A

 

JUSTIN

 

I’m not happy dancing about the fact that we held hands all the way here. I am not happy dancing!  Yeah right!

 

I swipe us in and Franca has done me proud.  I can smell the soul food from here.

 

“What’s this?”  He asks and I think I’ve gone too far.

 

“Um you said you wanted a drink and you can’t drink on an empty stomach.”  I mutter.  “I can um…”

 

“Get some plates; it smell delicious!”  He opens the basket and his eyes get really big.  “Good grief! How many people are coming or are you having leftovers?”

 

“Leftovers.”  I giggle and get the plates.

 

“So what’s on the menu?”

 

“Soul food. They’re all appetizers. These are secret menu items.” I clear my throat theatrically.  “First, we have a cold pea, courgette and mint gazpacho.” I hand him over his cup. I almost whimper when he licks the cup clean.

 

“Great, next.”

 

“Cherry pop wings with a scotch bonnet pepper dipping sauce. Sounds funky but taste delicious.”

 

I plate them up for him and soon our hands are covered in sauce.

 

“Oh God so…”  He pauses and his eyes drop to my mouth as I suck the rest of the meat off the last of my wings.

 

One all methinks!

 

“Nap-napkins... this needs napkins.”

 

“That’s what the water bowl with mint and lemon is for, to rinse our hands.  Come on.”

 

We shuffle across and try not to look at each other or our hands as they move in the water.

 

We need to dial this back a bit.

 

“So what happened about Gus?”  I ask and he nods in understanding.

 

“He slept really well, but he changed his mind about us not telling Michael that he was upset and scared. Debs and I went to see Michael. He just rolled his eyes and said fine I won’t do it again. So I threw all the comics he brought with him and the stuff he bought onboard out the window and told him next time he scares Gus I’ll do the same to him.”

 

“Wow.”  I try not to laugh at the horrified expression that no doubt was on Michael’s face.  “How did Gus feel when you told him that you told Uncle Michael off?”

 

“Oh sorry, no. I didn’t tell Michael that Gus was upset.  Gus told him and he said he doesn’t want to see them anymore. It will be a miracle if I get him within five feet of his store!  I left Debs to do the rest and spent the day with my Sonny Boy.”

 

“Ah I heard that bit.”  I chuckle and tell him about the evisceration that Tyler walked in on.

 

“She gave him a time out?!”  He burbles. “Oh God, that and on top of a hangover!”

 

“Hangover?”

 

“Yeah Michael. I’ve known Michael for years and he was definitely hungover.”  He sighs and plays with the rug. “Gus is the most important thing in my life.  As will the next baby, but he doesn’t seem to care about that. After all Gus’s biological mother did, I’d expect more understanding but…”

 

“What did she do?”  I ask quietly and then listen appalled as he tells me.  “You and Mel are doing a great job with Gus; he’s a happy little boy.”  I’m surprised when he leans over and kisses me on the side of my head.

 

“What was that for?”

 

“Listening.”  He snorts softly.  “Just letting me talk without interruption.”

 

“That’s what friends do, well most of them, they listen.”

 

“The food’s gone cold.”  He points out with a small smile.

 

“You can take some with you.  The scallop and prawn dumpling are a…”

 

“We need to renegotiate.”  He blurts out.  “The non-fraternization complex, we need to renegotiate that.”

 

Breathe-breathe-breathe!

 

“Okay.” I reply slowly and I move the basket, shuffling around to face him. He does the same.

 

“I feel that there should be a-an um temporary resignation clause.” He smiles as I move a bit closer. “Whereby, one or the other resigns from this company to allow a kiss, just a kiss.  There is to be no touching below the waist, no grinding…”

 

“No tickling.” I state firmly and he nods then moves closer. “No ear nibbling or licking, especially the spot just behind my left ear. No kissing my neck…”

 

“Definitely no neck kissing for me and no playing with nipples or licking belly buttons.”  He grins.

 

“No blowing raspberries on stomachs.  No sucking my top lip when we’re kissing. That’s really not a good idea.” He lifts me into his lap, puts his arms round my waist and I run my fingers through his hair. I wrap my legs around him and he brings up his knees. “No applying lip balm in the business centre... well at least not where I can see it.”

 

“No blowing in my ear. No kissing down my back. No chocolate and almond body oil to be worn at all until after the pitch. Clothes to remain on and hands to stay above clothes at all times. And no kissing for more than 10 minutes.  Do you agree to the terms?”

 

“Yes.  Who’s resigning?”  I whisper against his mouth.

 

“We both are.”

 

“Thank God.”  I groan and set the timer.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.