- Text Size +

CHAPTER 26 - SOMEONE IS DELUDED AND THE ROLLING STONE EARWORM

 

LINDSAY’S SUITE - MONDAY AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

This is not happening! I reread the paperwork and call Sam. His voice sounds impatient and stilted. And the first thing he says to me is what do I want him to do about it?!  

 

“Come to Pittsburgh and put on a united front! What do you mean what for? So that Mel knows what she’s dealing with! Sam, listen to me! You need to come to Pittsburgh and...wait a minute, who’s that? Do you have someone else there?!” He goes quiet but I can hear muttering. “Sam! Sam, answer me!”  I shout. “I asked you who that was. I see. Well I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt.”

 

The door knocking signals the arrival of room service and I wave him inside. I ignore his blatant waiting for a tip until he gets the hint and goes away.  

 

Once again, I hear that voice. Seriously send that person the fuck away!  

 

I ball my fists in fury as yet again, he gets distracted. “Could you focus on me for a second?! Now with regards to the defamation of character suit… Oh for God sake, I just told you about it! Do you know a Francesca Charles-Prince? Ah, I didn’t think you did.  She said something about you and I think a reciprocal lawsuit is in order.” I feel a wave of smugness wash over me. “She said that you’ve been fucking everything with a pulse since I left Italy...I know right. And that’s another reason for you to come to Pittsburgh... to clear your name. I need the name of your lawyer over here. What’s his name? Henri King, wait hang on. I need a pen, go, okay got it.  Okay see you soon, love you.”

 

I sit down on the sofa and smile to myself then reach to call his lawyer and arrange a countersuit.

 

Two days later, I’m still waiting for Henri to call me back. Doesn’t he realise how important this is?!

 

MEL & GUS’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

EMMY

 

Well we’ve done it! The house is now a blank slate for her to start again and put their stamp on it. I’m currently videoing every room so we can show her when she’s back in Britin tomorrow. We can’t wait for the little princess to get there so we can see her in person. She’s getting stronger every day!

 

“Sweetie, how are we going to handle it?  Suggest it to Brian or suggest it to Gus about the room painting?”  

 

“Oh definitely suggest to Gus. Let it be a surprise for Brian too.” Franc replies, busily restocking the freezer. “Think I should put champers in the fridge? Not sure she’s going to breastfeed...sorry squickiness alert!” She laughs at my grimace. “But since it doesn’t go off might as well!  And some beer for Leda.”

 

“So Miss I’ve Got a Date on Wednesday, what’s occurring with Beacon Deacon?”

 

Beacon Deacon?” She splutters. “Great now, I’m going to be struggling to not call him that all evening! As for what, to be honest, I don’t know what to do and when I asked what he would like to do he said surprise me.  Ugh!”

 

“How much do you want to get to know him afterwards?”  I ask mischievously.

 

“Enough to make him want to know more at a later date.” She giggles. “And I want to leave him only slightly dishevelled.”

 

“So yearning and part-shevelled. Let me think. Ooh pool!” She scowls at me. “Or not, so no sports. Do you prefer whiskey or vodka, because if it’s the latter Boyd and Blair do tastings and then you can go to Butcher and the Rye afterwards.” The grin on her face says that I’ve hit the jackpot! “Okay leave it to me my darling and I will be around to select a suitable shevelling outfit!”

 

“And you and Ben will, purely by chance, be in the restaurant at the same time…”

 

“But of course!”  I chuckle.

 

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL - TUESDAY AFTERNOON

 

MEL’S ROOM

 

LEDA

 

She is practically chomping at the bit.  Brian has sent a car with the most expensive and fully loaded baby seat/carrier known to man. According to Justin, there was a lot of fudgnucking and fudgsicles said as he, Gus and Justin, tried to get it in the car. Their annoyance was further heightened when Ben pointed out that it helps if they take off all the packaging first.

 

But it’s Gus who has been the absolute star of this whole thing.  He’s insisted that Ruby has her own Leather Bear from daddy and Papa Justin and has called her Leather Belle. He also wanted to get her something from him but I don’t know what it is. But whatever it is, he’s not shared that with anyone but his daddy.

 

Finally the papers are signed!  We’re going home and for once, she doesn’t argue about being in the wheelchair like she did every time she went to see Ruby.  

 

“Oh it feels so good to have the sun on my face!” She sighs, although judging by the crumpled expression on Ruby’s face, she’s not in total agreement!  “Holy crap!  I thought you said that Brian sent a small carrier?” She laughs as she looks in the car.  

 

“If it helps, it’s surprisingly light apparently.” I tell her and then watch her gently transfer Ruby into it.  “Mel this is Roberto; Roberto this is Mel.”

 

“So Mel just to let you know, I am at your disposal 24 hours, 7 days a week.” Roberto chuckles at our astonished expressions. “I have been told to tell you that it was Gus’s idea.”

 

“Gus asked for this?!”  

 

“Yes. He didn't want you to have to drive while you had that little cutie to look after.  Now let's get you ladies home.”

 

I was wrong about Gus. He’s the sun and moon too!

 

BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER

 

MEL

 

The front door is wrenched open and Brian runs out. He barely lets the car stop and he’s pulling on the handle. Roberto lowers the window. “Please Mr Kinney, be patient. We have to park in the garage.” Brian actually folds his arms a la Michael and almost stomps his foot with impatience as Roberto parks and releases the doors.

 

“Finally!” He grumbles as he takes Ruby out and heads inside.

 

“It’s okay, we’ll make our own way... you know with all the cases and paraphernalia!”  I grouse but I’m smiling at Leda. “Can’t blame him though; I would be the same! Is it bad that I’ve already expressed so that I can have a nap?”

 

“No it is not.” Debs grins as she and Carl take some stuff in. “He’s in the study talking to Ruby. I only saw her for 3 seconds and that was just the top of her hand. Some parents need to know that grandmas have rights too!”  She mutters.

 

I thought I would be overwhelmed by everyone being there but I am so pleased. I sink into the sofa and close my eyes for few seconds. The next thing that wakes me is the smell. My mouth waters and I follow my nose to the kitchen.

 

“Momma!” Gus cries and drops everything to run to me. “You’re awake! Can I hug you properly but gently now?”

 

“Oh yes, please Gus! I have missed your hugs.” He wraps his arms tightly around my legs and heads back to the table.  “Momma Leda is feeding Ruby.”  

 

“Oh okay, thank you.  Now do I smell cassoulet?”

 

“You do indeed.” Justin grins. “I would suggest you express some more… ooh squickiness...because I think on top of that, a small glass of champagne is definitely called for!”

 

“Fudge yeah!”  I laugh.

 

Ten minutes later, I have inhaled half the bowl and am groaning with pleasure, much to the amusement of some folk. “Hey had a baby and survived on hospital food!” I turn to Justin having heard how Franc took Debs down. “So have you actually had a hug?”  

 

“Oh yes. Gus and I were granted the first audience. It’s definitely love!  He wanted to see her before he and Ted talk business with Franc.”  I frown.  “Sorry, of course you don’t know, Franc is going to be purchasing Michael’s store.”

 

I pauses in mid-eat. “What? Why?” I put my fork down. “Never mind, where are they?”

 

“Uh Mel, you’ve just gotten out of hospital.” Carl unwisely points out. “And I’m shutting up now. Except to tell you they’re in the study.”

 

“Thank you. Is there anything else I need to know about?”  Debs nods slowly.  “Let me guess... Lindsay?” Again the nodding. “Right, let me deal with what they are trying to do with lesser spotted idiot first.”

 

Leda comes in with Ruby and I bite my lip. “Go, but only an hour! And you’re dealing with whatever fudge is going down with Lindsay tomorrow.  Understand?”

 

“Loud and clear. Thank you.” I kiss my two favourite girls and head to the study.

 

An hour later, Franc has explained what she has in mind for Vance and having checked the previous contracts, I can’t believe he signed this. But I suspect, he never thought that they would ever terminate the contract for the reasons they have.  He’s not contacted them since the Kinnetic contract was signed and Michael’s attempt at sabotage didn’t get to him.  Although Franc reckons that Ray hasn’t told Vance because he’s a coward!  But more importantly than that, he’s an incompetent idiot. The adverts go national next week, Vance is going to notice!

 

“Knock-knock, it’s momma time!”  Leda calls through the door and with a grin, I head out.

 

Three hours later and with Gus having fed Ruby, they are both in bed for the night.  We join the rest of the family after I had a nice soak. I try not to smirk about the baby monitor being between Brian and Justin but feel relieved. That it means I will get a good night’s sleep.

 

“Now then we have something to show you my darling Mel.”  Ems’s smile almost breaks his face, as he hands me his pad. I look through the videos and then hand it back to him with a frown. “You don’t understand, correct?”  I nod.  “But do you think the place is nice?”

 

“Yes it is, well for a blank canvas it is.” I reply and then realise that everyone is grinning at me, including Leda. “What?” And then it hits me. “Is this...it can’t be!  This is our house?”

 

“Yes and it was Brian’s idea.” Vic smiles. “A fresh start.”  

 

Brian clears his throat. “You’re not going to be living there for a while. All your furniture is in storage. If you want to refurnish, I’m happy to help with that too, and by help I mean hand Emmy my credit card and you have it.  No arguing.”

 

“I’m not going to argue at all.”  I smile at him and he raises his glass. “But you may regret it.”

 

“I never regret anything when it comes to my children or the people that love them.” He replies. “Now speaking of people and love, you and I need to celebrate someone’s homecoming.” He leers at Justin, who scampers out of the room with Brian following quickly!

 

“So glad that hasn’t changed!” I laugh.  

 

NEXT MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I have been making breakfast for the five of us with Gus’s help. He loves to help in the kitchen, but he’s been a bit quiet this morning.

 

“Hey, you okay?”

 

“Yes. But I want to ask you something…”  I stop him from mixing the batter and put him on my lap then nod at him to continue. “Momma told me about the house and how everything is new and clean. She showed me my bedroom and it looks really nice…”  He trails off, his cheeks a little pink.

 

“Gus, just ask me.” I prompt.

 

“Could you draw me and Rhubarb on the wall above my bed please?”  He rushes out and then looks at the floor in silence.  

 

For a few seconds, I am too stunned to speak. “Oh Gus, of course I will! I would love to. Thank you for asking me!” He lets out a breath of relief and we hug each other tightly. “Do you have a picture already or would you like to take a picture and then I copy it onto your wall?”

 

“Oh yes, yes I have a picture. Can I go and get it?”  He bounces in my lap and when I nod, he’s off like a rocket.

 

“Where’s the little rocket man going in such a rush...hey, you okay?” Brian asks, brushing my cheek. I sniffle and tell him what he wants me to do and he grins. “Ah I see. I have a feeling I know exactly which picture he wants you to draw.”  

 

And right on cue, Gus comes back in with his camera and shows me the picture of him and Rhubarb on the hammock at the island. “Maceo took it and sent it to me. We’ve been emailing since I got home, well daddy has been helping.”  Gus beams.

 

“And speaking of the holiday... we need to talk to you about something Gus.  Can you sit down please? You aren’t in trouble.” I smile reassuringly at him. “I’ve noticed since Uncle Michael upset you with the cartoon books that you’ve stopped reading them altogether.  Can you tell us why?”

 

“I don’t like them anymore.” He replies quietly.

 

“Because you think they are all going to be like the ones that Uncle Michael showed you?”  He nods. “Gus, I promise you that they are not. But Uncle Blake has come up with a great idea to help you with that.”

 

“He has?”  He looks between the two of us.

 

“How would you to do your own comic?”

 

“My own one?” His eyes light up. “About anything?” I nod. “Could I write about Ruby being a superhero baby?”

 

“A superhero baby?” I echo.

 

“Yes Papa Justin, bringing happiness to the world with her beautiful smile. Though Momma Leda said it’s gas. Is that the same as mouth and bottom burps, daddy?”

 

Bottom burps?” I giggle. “Seriously, you say bottom burps to Gus?”

 

“Yes, as will you too.” He arches an eyebrow and I nod sagely.

 

“Come on Gus, let’s finish breakfast.”  I tell him.

 

Twenty minutes later, a grumpy looking Mel comes down. “I blame you!” She swats Brian on the arm and he grins. “Can’t get the damn thing out my head now. So yes, you can have it. You never do anything by halves, do you?!”

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask, watching Gus carefully crack eggs into the bowl for scrambling.  

 

“Tuesday.” Mel replies, looking a little tearful. “In honour of the day she came home.”

 

“But I thought you’d agreed on Ruby?” Brian rolls his eyes. “What? Seriously what?”

 

“Youth is wasted on the young.” He sighs. “Her middle name is going to be Tuesday.  Ruby Tuesday is a brilliant song by the Rolling Stones…”

 

“I love some of the Rolling Stones songs…”  

 

“Though she’d better not try what she tried.”  Mel laughs.

 

“Huh?”  I frown.

 

“Again wasted. Google is your friend.” Brian kisses my nose and shoves me towards the table while he helps finish breakfast.

 

“Ah I see your point.” I laugh as I read the inspiration behind the song.

 

 

“Which reminds me... the moment she hits 11, I’m buying a shotgun!”

Chapter End Notes:

Pleasee review kindly and constructively.  Thanks