- Text Size +

CHAPTER 36 - HOMECOMING

 

PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - TUESDAY AFTERNOON

 

NANCY PETERSON

 

I can’t believe that Lindsay is getting married! Lynette sent us an email with a copy of the notice and Ronald and I have checked into this Raymond Charles. His father runs Seabird Enterprises and is a multi-millionaire! Don’t get me wrong, I liked Sam but he only has so much and this man has so very much more.

 

We’ve decided to surprise Lindsay and her fiancé. So lovely to say that and it be about a man as far as Lindsay was concerned! Yes she was with Sam for a couple of years but as much in the art scene the man is, Ray is from a shipping company. Naturally, Lynette is scornful of this engagement. She thinks there’s something off about it but I think she may be just a shade jealous.

 

“Nancy, stop daydreaming and get in the cab!” Ronald jostles me out of my thoughts. “Now would be a good time to call Lindsay.” He prompts me and I pull out my phone.

 

RAYMOND’S APARTMENT

 

MICHAEL

 

It took a good couple of days for the hives to fade and I’ve only just been let back in the apartment and my, haven’t they been busy?! I look around the lounge Lindsay seems to have moved in and is currently speaking on the phone to someone. I tap her arm to get her attention.

 

“One minute...what is it, Michael?” She asks impatiently.

 

“Have you moved in or something?” I demand and she just rolls her eyes, going back to her conversation as if I hadn’t spoken a word.

 

“Sorry about that. What time? Oh that’s great! We look forward to it.” She ends her call and turns to me. “Yes Michael, I have moved in. We have to go for realism and it would look odd if I wasn’t living with him, don’t you think? You’re looking better.”

 

“What was that call about?”

 

“Booking dinner for Ray and I…”

 

“Where do I fit into this since I’m supposed to be using him get my store and Brian back, hmmm?” I snipe.

 

“You’re taking an unnecessary tone Michael and I don’t appreciate it!” She takes what’s supposed to be a calming breath, I suppose. “Look, plans have to be set in place. We are going to bring you into this soon, be patient.”

 

She gets up and then her phone rings and she stares at it in surprise. “Mother! How are you? You’re where? Oh my goodness. Well we’re having dinner with Ray’s parents tomorrow night so perhaps you can join us? Perfect!” She hangs up with a smile and then makes another call, adding two people to the booking.

 

“Shouldn’t that be three?” I point out and after a pause, she calls the restaurant back. When she’s finished, she stares at me. “What?”

 

“This is a high end place so you need to get a suit and a tie. That’s the dress code and if you don’t like it, don’t attend.”

 

I start to head out but grab the door keys before she can stop me. “See you later. Hopefully, your fiancé is back soon!” I call back laughing at the pissed off expression on her face.

 

Score one for me!

 

RED CAPE COMICS - WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

NATHAN

 

Vanda has made it abundantly clear to Hunter that ignoring her is not an option as she sits on the comic he’s reading. With a huff, he moves her off the page only for her to come and sit right back where she was. I don’t know why he is bothering trying to fight this. Ever since she met him, it’s only been him. Vanda is in love!

 

“Hey boys!” Debs calls out as she comes in then smiles as Hunter tries moving away from the counter to read the comic on the sofa but Vanda simply follows him and squirrels into his lap. “Hunter, just give up. You’ve got yourself a girlfriend!” She laughs and he smiles back, kissing the top of Vanda’s head.

 

“I know but she has to work for it! Now more importantly, what’s that gorgeous smell?”

 

“Did a roast chicken. I’m out with Daph tonight and you can’t cook to save your life, so I figure you’d be hanging out here. You need to get some vegetables, and I mean vegetables not fries, and make sure it’s heated thoroughly.”

 

“We can’t eat it now?” I ask disappointed.

 

“No, have that this evening after closing. The meatballs subs are for now!” She hands them over. “I’ll put this in the fridge!”

 

She heads upstairs and is back in seconds. As she looks across at Hunter, who is looking for another comic, she hands me over $20 and leans in. “He likes lite beer but only one with his pills and everything.” She whispers.

 

Fuck me, did Debbie Novotny just do subtle?!

 

HYEHOLDE RESTAURANT - EARLY EVENING

 

RAY

 

I am loving this! This restaurant is incredible; Lindsay has chosen well. We are waiting for both sets of parents to turn up. Michael is sitting with us and I have to admit that he does look good in the suit. Well...once we went back to the store and got one that fitted him properly!

 

“Mother, daddy!” She calls out and stands to greet a couple approaching the table. “How are you? How’s France?”

 

“Lovely and so peaceful. So introduce us.”

 

“Ray, this is my mother Nancy and my father Ronald, mother and daddy this is Ray Charles, my fiancé. And of course, you remember Michael, a dear friend of mine.”

 

Just as we’re about to sit down again, my dad and Veri come to the table. “Dad, Veri so glad you could make it! This is Lindsay and…”

 

“Yes, I’m aware of who she is. Rupert, this is Lindsay and of course, you already know Michael from the ship. Mr and Mrs Peterson, I’m Veronique Charles-Prince and this is my husband, Rupert.” Ronald’s jaw is on the floor and Nancy looks baffled. “Obviously Raymond is my stepson. So what do you think of our kiddies getting hitched? I must say it was a surprise to have to read about it. I hope that you were at least told verbally?”

 

It takes Nancy a few minutes to gather herself. “Yes, I must admit that I was taken aback that Lindsay was getting married since she was with the artist Sam Auerbach. They were together…”

 

“For a couple of years, I understand. Do you think this is a rebound engagement after he returned to his wife?”

 

“Well…” Nancy takes a drink and there’s a subtle shift in her demeanour. Lindsay looks a little surprised. “I have to admit that was a shock about Sam. However, I know my Lindsay and…”

 

“So Ronald.” Dad interrupts. “How do you feel? You’ve been quiet.”

 

“I’m trying to absorb it all.” He replies, having finally stopped staring at Veri. “Veronique you look familiar. I’m trying to place you…”

 

“She was Miss Grenada and represented them in Miss Universe. That’s where we met.”

 

“I didn’t know that. Perhaps you can help me with my wedding make-up?” Lindsay smiles as Veri sips her water and nods.

 

“Yes, the earlier we start the better. The food here looks wonderful, perhaps we should order?”

 

Before I can do anything, someone calls out. “Mr Charles-Prince, what an absolute pleasure to see you again!” I assume this is the maitre’d, gushing over my dad much to my annoyance.

 

“Clarence! I see business is booming. You remember Veri, of course.” He beams at them both. “This is Nancy and Ronald Peterson, their daughter Lindsay and this is my son Ray, her fiancé and their friend Michael.”

 

“Fiancé?!” He gasps then signals a waiter. “This table nothing but the best and on the house since they are celebrating!” Lindsay and I exchange looks of delight and Michael seems to heave a sigh of relief!

 

“So Michael, how have you been since the cruise?” Dad asks.

 

“Fine thanks…”

 

“What is that you do Michael?” Nancy turns to him and he looks surprised then a bit put out.

 

“I used to run a comic book store but now I’m between positions.”

 

“Oh I see. So where should I send the restitution letter to?” Veri asks and we all, except dad, look confused.

 

“Restitution letter?” Michael repeats.

 

“Yes, you remember the incident that happened on the ship? A most unfortunate occurrence but the matter has almost been concluded to everyone’s satisfaction.”

 

Michael now has a film of sweat on his forehead and he takes a gulp of water. “I’ll give it to Ray and he can give it to you.” He replies.

 

“Perfect.” She replies. “Now let’s talk weddings! When do you think you two will get married and can I see the ring?” She stares at Michael for a few long seconds before turning to Lindsay, who holds her hand out but there is a slight tremble. “Oh how cute, you’ve gone for small and bijou.”

 

“You don’t wear one, I notice.” Nancy replies, checking the ring over herself.

 

“She didn’t want one, despite my efforts. So I got her an island instead.”

 

“An island?!” Ronald gasps and Nancy coughs.

 

“It’s a tiny little thing where we go just to be alone...only the two of us, no responsibility except to each other. Although sometimes with some bullying grandfather tactics, we also get Franc to go.”

 

“Franc?” Nancy looks at Lindsay, who looks startled. “Another brother?”

 

“No my daughter…”

 

“With Rupert?” Nancy asks. “You’re a lot younger than I thought.”

 

“No. But he’s her father in every other way apart from biology. And speaking of biology, do you think you will be having children?”

 

Michael laughs. “She’s far too old!” Lindsay glares at him. When he notices the expression on her face, he wipes the smile off his. “But maybe they could adopt?” He adds quickly.

 

“You’ve never had children Raymond?” Ronald asks me and I shake my head.

 

“What about Franc?” Nancy asks.

 

“What about me?” Franc asks.

 

“What are you doing here?!” Dad kisses her on the cheek.

 

My thoughts exactly!!

 

“I’m not staying long, just wanted to pop by to introduce myself to my soon to be family and invite you guys to a BBQ I’m having on Sunday. Nancy and Ronald, how nice to meet you.” She shakes their hands. “So are you guys going to be able to make it? As lovely as this place is it will be a lot more relaxed for all of us, won’t it?”

 

“Oh yes, and we can get to know each other better.” Nancy decides, grabbing her diary. “What time?”

 

“About one. Just bring yourselves guys. Now excuse me, I’ve got to go to Legume…”

 

Legume!” Nancy gasps. “I have always wanted to go there! Oh! I have an idea. Why don’t we try and book it for the reception or rehearsal dinner?”

 

“Mother, let’s at least get a date for the wedding first!” Lindsay laughs.

 

“I look forward to it. You have no idea how much.” Franc kisses my dad and her mom, smiles at the three of us and then is gone.

 

Okay Franc is being too nice!

 

BRITIN - SUNDAY MID-MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I still don’t understand why she’s hosting a BBQ but right now, I’m concentrating on feeding Ruby, who is really coming on in leaps and bounds.

 

“How are two of my other favourite people?” Brian kisses the side of my neck and then Ruby’s head.

 

“Fine, can you test that for me?” I hold out the bottle as Ruby starts to wriggle. “I think we’re about to hear how hungry she is.”

 

“Ah yeah, we don’t want that!” He tests it and just as Ruby starts to work herself up into a full conniption, he puts the bottle in her mouth. “Perfect timing!” He heaves a sigh of relief. She may be small but her lungs work absolutely fine!

 

She’s half way down the bottle when Gus comes in with Leda, looking a bit embarrassed.

 

“What’s up Sonny Boy?”

 

“I forgot about them. I meant to give them before but I forgot.” He has a bag in his hand. “And it was only because Mr Joseph remindered me…” I curb my natural response to correct him. “Can I give everyone else theirs at the BBQ but yours now?”

 

“Let me take this little one so you guys can do this.” Leda grins and takes Ruby while Brian and I exchange bewildered looks.

 

“Shall we sit down, Gus?” I ask and he nods and then rummages in the bag and then hands over two pouches. “Open them.” He wriggles on his seat.

 

I open the pouch and peer inside. Immediately I gasp, close it again and look at Brian, who is just staring down the bottom of his pouch.

 

“Sonny Boy…” Brian breathes and reaches inside and pulls out a thin leather bracelet with a pearl in the middle with a slightly crooked but obviously written by Gus ‘B’ written on it. “I love it! I will wear it every day!”

 

“I’m so pleased! Papa, open yours!”

 

With shaking hands I do as I’m asked and pull out the most beautiful necklace. On a very fine chain is a pearl with a ‘J’ on it.

 

“Gus, it’s…” That’s as far as I get before Brian is holding me while I sob tears of joy into his neck. “Put it on me.” I manage to get out and with shaking hands he does so. My hands are trembling just as much when I put his bracelet on for him. “I love it so much.”

 

“Do you want me to showed what I got the others or shall we wait till we get to Franc’s?”

 

“Let’s wait.” I sniff.

 

Mel comes in with a gurgling Ruby. “Need a tissue?” She teases Brian as he wipes eyes on the back of his hand. “Let me see what he gave you.” I show her my necklace and Brian holds out his wrist. “I got earrings and Leda got a picture frame.”

 

We all turn to look at Gus as he’s sorting out the rest of the presents with Leda. By which, I mean she’s got tissue paper and is handing it to him with her eyes closed so he can carefully wrap them and put them back within their pouches.

 

I can’t wait to see what Franc has planned for Lindsay and Michael! How could they hurt such a sweet little boy?!

 

FRANC’S BUNGALOW - TWO HOURS LATER

 

BACK GARDEN

 

MARKUS

 

Adorable that is the only way I can describe Ruby, who is resting in my arms. And beyond sweet is the only way to describe Gus. His get well card is by my glass and I smile as Franc and Emmy are attempting to get to the grill. But between the alpha males that are Carl, Brian, Ben and Vic, they’re not getting much of a look in.

 

“I give up!” Emmy flops next to me and strokes Ruby’s feet. “She’s gorgeous, isn’t she? They make beautiful babies.”

 

“Yeah, she’s a little peach.” Right on cue, she scrunches up her face and farts. “Well almost...Mel!” I call out and she’s swiftly over to take her away.

 

“Are you okay having beer since you’re still taking pain pills?” He asks and I nod. When he scrutinises, I simply stare back. “I can see why.”

 

“What?”

 

“It was instant with you. And why she got this place. And why she’s afraid.” I put my drink down and wait. “She fell in love the moment she saw you, which is why she got this place. But she stays in New York mostly because she’s afraid you don’t feel the same. She was here for a year trying to work up the courage to ask you out after you first met.” I just gape at him. “Yeah, that’s the look you need to have when she tells you all of that. And she will, just give her time. When you got shot, I’ve never seen anyone so terrified. And she was telling the truth about the boots...ooh the alphas have gone, quick Franc, grab the grill!”

 

Ten minutes later, she’s sending Gus over with a plate. “Mr Markus, Franc said you like this pizza. Can we shared it?”

 

“We can indeed and thank you again for the card.”

 

“You’re welcome!” He smiles just like his daddy.

 

“Hello!” A voice calls out and who can only be her mom strolls in. “Where is the man of the hour?”

 

“Ray and his fiancés aren’t here yet!” Debs gripes. She’s not happy that Ruby is here...but I can see why she is. They didn’t want Lindsay to think that they are hiding Ruby. They have explained to Gus that she’s going to be there with her new friend and Uncle Michael.

 

“Not talking about him.” She makes her way to my side. “I’m talking about you. I’m Veri and you are Markus. Hello Gus!”

 

“Veri! I missed you last weekend!” Gus looks at his hands as they are covered in grease from the pizza. “Don’t move, I’ll be right back...Papa, I need to hug Veri but my hands are dirty!” He yells as he runs to Justin, who scoops him up and takes him to the kitchen.

 

Five minutes later, Gus is in Veri’s lap and chattering and beaming with pride as everyone loved their pearl presents.

 

“Hey guys!” A trio of teens arrive and they are swiftly integrated. Gus moves from Veri to Daphne, who it seems he has his heart set on!

 

“Daddy!” Gus stage whispers really badly.

 

“Yes Gus.”

 

“I can marry Daphne now!” He beams at him.

 

“You can? Why do you think that?”

 

“Oh daddy, it’s obvious!” He sighs. “Hunter and Nathan are holding hands so that means I can have Daphne. She’s pretty!”

 

“Well you can’t argue with that, can you?”

 

“Helloooo!” A voice trills and immediately my hackles rise as I see Lindsay. If only I wasn’t in this fucking cast! She’s leading in her entourage. I can see that she and her mother are cut from the same cloth as their eyes take in the gorgeousness of Franc’s place.

 

“What a beautiful place, Franc!” Nancy coos and takes the proffered glass of champagne from Emmy.

 

“Thanks. Let me make the introductions. Obviously, Ronald and Nancy you know Mel and this is her new partner, Leda. And this is another member of our family, Ray and my cousin, Benjamin Bruckner and his partner Emmett Honeycutt. And the rest of the family...”

 

FRANC

 

Once everyone has been introduced, I tap my glass. “So we’re here to celebrate the joining of our families!” Nancy smiles but it is not reaching her eyes. She’s staring at Ruby and then Gus as slowly, the realisation starts to dawn. “Oh Nancy, I spoke to the owner of the Legume and he’s delighted to host either the rehearsal dinner or the reception. He just needs to know the date.”

 

“Wonderful!” She replies and clutches her glass tightly.

 

“Now everyone, help yourselves from either the grill or the kitchen.”

 

As Ronald makes himself more at home than Nancy, I see Lindsay itching to come across to see Ruby, who is happy in Justin’s arms as he is ensconced in Brian’s.

 

“Hey Ma!” Michael calls out, making his way determinedly over to her but keeping an eye on Brian and Justin. “Is that her?” He looks at Ruby.

 

“No Michael that is a completely different baby and Mel is coincidentally no longer pregnant!” She retorts and before he can say anything else, she holds up her hand. “So where is your engagement ring or is that over now?”

 

“Ma!” He hisses, looking over his shoulder but Nancy’s talking to Jennifer and Ronald is talking to Raymond. “We’re still engaged. I still have my ring, see!” He pulls a chain out from under his jumper.

 

“Michael…” She sighs. “He’s marrying a woman, who is a semi-lesbian depending on how rich the cock is! You can’t be that naive to believe that you’re getting anywhere near him after they get spliced!” He rolls his eyes and stomps to the grill, snatching up a plate to shovel some food onto.

 

For the next two hours, Lindsay stays close to Raymond and they seem to be confused by the warmth that is being extended to them.

 

“Okay people!” I call out. “We have cupcakes!”

 

I see the look of surprise on the faces of the idiotic Three Dumb Mice and indicate they should be wheeled out. And can’t help but smile as Justin looks pleadingly at Brian as he’s feeding Ruby. “How many?” He calls out as he heads to the stand.

 

“Two please!” He replies grinning and Michael scowls.

 

I look at Markus and he mouths share at me. So I grab a big one and settle down next to him. It takes a few minutes to realise that dad is looking at us and smiling.

 

“So Markus, what happened to you?” Lindsay asks, indicating at the cast.

 

“I got shot.” He replies shortly.

 

“Oh my goodness!” Ronald gasps.

 

“I’m getting better. It’s amazing what some tender loving care can do for a guy. Or a girl.”

 

Lindsay’s lip twitches in annoyance. “Yes, Ray and I feel the same way. It was a surprise to us both when…”

 

“He suddenly decided that he was straight?” Everyone turns to look at Ethan and I look at mom, who had presumably let him in when the doorbell rang.

 

“Who is this?” Nancy demands. “And what does he mean straight?”

 

“I mean, if he was would he let me do this…” Ethan buries his hands in Raymond’s hair and sticks his tongue down his throat.

 

Whilst most of us barf on the inside, Ronald just about manages to catch Nancy before she hits the floor!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks