- Text Size +

CHAPTER 42 - SOMEONE TALKS AND SOMEONE WALKS

 

WOODY’S - FRIDAY EVENING

 

TED

 

I look at them and start to smile but they all remain grim faced. “You’re not joking are you?”

 

“No.” Emmy replies tersely and Blake shakes his head.

 

“But-but that’s just insane!” I whisper as loud as I can. “Has she had him checked out?!”

 

“Not insane.” Blake sips on his drink. “Like Rodney said, he genuinely believes that Brian is in love with him and is just fighting the attraction. He’s been so used to Brian being single for years and even though Justin has moved in with him, he doesn’t believe that this is long term.”

 

“Justin has moved in with his two cats!” I exclaim. “I’ve known Brian almost as long as Michael has and the one thing he has never had is a pet! And definitely never walked said pet down Liberty Avenue, even if he did have Justin in front of him!”

 

“Oh you heard about that?!” Ems exclaims, smiling for the first time this evening. “Here look! Seriously, only he could make that look cool. And as for Gussie!”

 

I have to chuckle as I look at the picture. It’s a classic action shot...Gus has Rhubarb’s lead and he’s in the middle of handing Leather Bear to Brian and they are smiling at each other. Even though they are wearing sunglasses, you can feel the love between them.

 

“Cute, right? But which contact picture should it be for?” He ponders. “I think this for Big Bad at Kinnetic and this one for Big Bad and Baby at home.”

 

He shows me a picture that was clearly taken when they weren’t aware. They are at Franc’s and both covered in food but he is trying to clean up Justin’s face and again, there’s the smiles.

 

“Perfect Ems!”

 

“Oh dear God!” Blake starts to sink back against the booth and it doesn’t take a genius to work out who he has just seen. “Okay, on three, let’s just try and make it towards the back, without looking back...”

 

We nod and slowly get up and surprisingly make it to another booth.

 

“Hey Novotny, what happened to you?” Someone calls out.

 

“Road accident.” He groans pathetically. “Can I have a brandy, please?”

 

“Pavement accident,” Another person corrects. “For you to have a road accident, you need to actually be on the road. He wasn’t looking where he was going and almost got hit by a cyclist. Leaping backwards, he tripped and landed on his elbow. This is Liberty Avenue; everyone knows mostly everyone’s business!” There’s raucous laughter at that. “And speaking of business, did anyone see Kinney and his kid?”

 

“Oh honey, I sent out the siren!” A bear laughs.

 

“What are you talking about?” He demands.

 

“Anyone got a picture to email us?!” The barman shouts out and soon a slew of pictures are showing on screen. The look of horror on Michael’s face would be hysterical, if I didn’t know what I know.

 

“You can’t show this! Brian would be horrified!” He yells.

 

“Yeah, that’s why he posing like that!” Another guy shouts out and then the bar goes quiet as we take in the picture. It’s Brian by himself, kneeling behind Custard and Custard has Gus’s sunglasses on. They are both peering over the top of them, looking dead into the lens.

 

“Seriously! Only Kinney could make pussy look good!” The barman laughs.

 

“Someone send that to me!” Ems yells, immediately giving us away! “Oh shit, sorry but look at that!” He whispers back. “Baby would love it!”

 

“True!” I laugh and then sigh as Michael limps towards us.

 

“Thank you!” Ems shouts out as he gets the picture.

 

“So Michael, I hear you’re back at your place.” Blake smiles at him and I watch Michael inhale his brandy once he notices that we are almost finished with our drinks.

 

“Yes. I’ve decided to…”

 

“What?! What is it that you have decided to do?!” Vic thunders, silencing the bar.

 

“Uh Vic, let’s go to the bar, what...” Ems gets up.

 

“Sit down Emmett!” Vic bellows and Ems is immediately in his seat.

 

“Do you want to explain this shit to me?!” He yells, flinging down a newspaper. Thankfully, I get to it before anyone else can but people are now pressing around the booth.

 

There are murmurs as people try to look over my shoulder and I hand it to Blake, who at least doesn’t have anyone behind him.

 

“Well Michael?!” Vic demands.

 

“I don’t even know what you’re talking about!”

 

I look across at Blake and he just shows it to Michael, without letting him take the paper and he goes pale.

 

“Can anyone see what it is?!” Someone calls out.

 

“I-I don’t know anything about this!” Michael stammers.

 

“Then it will be removed right now!” Vic orders. “Call them!”

 

“Uncle Vic….”

 

“CALL THEM!” He hollers again, silencing the bar and Michael slowly pulls out his phone then dials the number. “And put it on fucking speaker!”

 

“Pittsburgh Out Announcements. How can I help you?”

 

“Yes, I wonder if you can. There is a posting of an engagement of Michael Novotny to…”

 

“Oh hello, Mr Novotny. It’s Christian! Have you got the wedding date for us and more importantly, the name of the groom?”

 

There is murmuring around the bar.

 

“Well Michael, just whom are you marrying?” Vic demands. “Bear in mind, I’ve seen the invites.

 

“Unfortunately, we split up,” Michael says quickly “so can you withdraw the notice?”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry about that. Of course I will, but unfortunately because of the months’ notice you gave, we can’t return the money you paid.”

 

“I understand.” Michael mutters, his face flaming. “Bye now.”

 

“Do not show up Michael, just don’t!” Vic hisses and stalks out.

 

As the door bangs shut and everyone goes back to their business, Ems turns to him. “As fuck ups go, that’s up there.”

 

“It’s the announcement from the…”

 

“No, it isn’t!” Mel rasps and then leans in. “Stop this shit with Brian. Don’t make me get legal on you, because you will come up against one very pissed off lesbian. Hear and hear me well, stop hurting my friend and father of my daughter!”

 

“You’ve sure changed your tune.” Michael sneers. “Wasn’t it a few years ago that…”

 

“Yes it was. But that was then and this is now! So stop it; you’ve lost! Doing this shit is not going to win him back, not that you can win something that was never a prize meant for you! Keep up these antics and I’ll make sure that you lose everything else you hold dear, not that there is much left beyond the underwear covering your ass. Go on, Michael. Try me!”

 

I have to admit...Mel just scared me and I’m not even the target. Those pointy-toed shoes she’s wearing are adding a very painful image in my imagination of the ass-kicking he’s damn close to getting from her. Well, hopefully Michael will get a clue, otherwise I would hate to be said underwear. Can anyone say skidmarks?

 

FRANC’S BUNGALOW - SATURDAY MORNING

 

FRANC

 

I am looking at a shellshocked Ray. Mom, dad and grandpa are looking equally sceptical.

 

“So let me get this straight... you were persuaded by the love of your life to open a joint account and then he moved the money to his own account but now you can’t find him?”

 

“Yes.” He sniffs. “I can’t believe I was so stupid.”

 

“So what do you want us to do about that?” Dad asks sharply.

 

“Help me! He’s cleaned me out! I have nothing now! Can you…”

 

“Of course we can Ray, you are family.” Grandpa interrupts.

 

“Oh you have got to be…” I begin.

 

“Franc, this decision is mine and mine alone. It will not be questioned.” Grandpa tells me.

 

I itch to smack Ray’s smiling face.

 

“Thank you grandfather.”

 

“You will start as a low level executive in our London office. On a basic salary of £45K. Because you are family, you will reside in the company apartment for three months during your probationary period. You will receive a pension and the usual bonuses after the probationary period.”

 

“Wh-what? London? What are you saying?” Ray stammers.

 

“Do you really think that he’s waiting for you in Paris? He’s in Budapest. Face it Ray, he’s walked away with $4 million and you stupidly let him do it!” Grandpa declares. “Now your flight is at six and you will be accompanied by Phoebe Hall, our Estate Manager. She will make sure that all is in order. Then she will return here with your passport just in case you are thinking of going on holiday.”

 

“But grandpa!” Ray shouts.

 

“Your choices are: work for a living or live on what you have left. There are no other alternatives!”

 

“This is your fault, you fucking bitch!” Ray snarls at me.

 

“How?!” Dad yells. “How the fuck is it Franc’s fault? Your ignorance is your own; she has done nothing wrong! This is all on you!”

 

“This fucking nig…” Ray starts but is then knocked out by dad, cold cocking him across his jaw.

 

“Ms Hall!” He yells, rubbing his hand while the rest of us look stupefied.

 

“Yes Mr Charles...what’s happened?!” She gasps, looking at the prone figure of Ray.

 

“He ran into my fist.”

 

“I see.” She smirks. “One moment, sir. Boys! A little help!”

 

Five minutes later, he’s carried out and with a smile, Phoebe leaves an ice bucket.

 

“He might not have been going to say that.” Mom says quietly.

 

“True, but I’ve always want to knock some sense into him. Hopefully when he comes to, his brain will be reset!” Dad laughs and plunges his hand into the bucket. “Oh, that feels good!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks