- Text Size +

CHAPTER 44 - STUPID IS AND STUPID DOES

 

RED CAPE COMICS - TUESDAY MID-MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I look in the store window and can’t believe it, under new management! I look inside again, there’s someone new in there and the tree is gone. I head in to check and yes, there are definitely no fucking kittens! Looks like Nathan is gone and has taken the fleabags with him!

 

“Can I help you sir?” The teen asks. “Looking for something in particular?”

 

“No, I know my way around thanks.”

 

“Oh okay then, if you can excuse me...upstairs guys!”

 

I watch as a troupe of teens stomp upstairs and when he is distracted by another lot of customers, I follow them up. “Excuse me, what is going on?” I ask the teen nearest me.

 

“You’re kidding me, right?” He looks at me as if I have two heads. “Look around you dude!” He sighs and moves away.

 

Liberty Avenue Comic and Film School!

 

I head back downstairs and wait for the new guy to come free. “So can you tell me when the new management took over?” He frowns and I point to the sign in the window. “The notice.”

 

“Oh that. About a month or so ago. They got rid of the previous guy because he was incompetent! I mean, he made a right fool of himself. Know what he did?”  Oh how mighty are the fallen! I shake my head, relishing hearing this. He leans in. “He…” He trails off and his mouth drops open and he just stares.

 

“What? What did Nathan do to get fired?”

 

“I’m still the manager Michael and actually part owner.” Nathan laughs. “The person Jerome is talking about is you!”

 

“Part owner?” I echo.

 

“Yes. Because I saved my money, I was able to buy a percentage of the store from Franc.” I start to feel nauseous. “And in case you are wondering, they are with Rhubarb and Custard and their tree is being cleaned. Now if you don't mind, I have a class to prepare for...”

 

“You?!” I scoff. “You’re running that upstairs?”

 

“Not alone, no. After the success of the first few clubs, I presented an idea to Franc and she and Justin have provided backing finance. We have our first major teacher soon; you may have heard of him. It’s Brett Keller. Seems that he and Ray met a few years back and kept in touch, though he’s more Franc’s friend now…”

 

I just want to scream at the unfairness of it all! “I’ll believe that when I see it! Now excuse me, I have to go. You need help with your delusions! As if Brett Keller would ever come here...”

 

I stomp out and head to the diner.

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

This is all I need! Michael comes in and shuffles to the booth. “Want me to?” Kiki asks, but I shake my head and grab the pot.

 

“So Michael, how have you been?”

 

“To be honest...what are you rolling your eyes for?!” He asks indignantly.

 

“For the past few years the least thing you have ever been is honest, but continue.”

 

He sighs. “Neglected and abandoned. Brian still isn't talking to me so I can explain anything and now Uncle Vic has banned me from the wedding. Can't you talk to them?”

 

“And say what? Why can't you see what you did is wrong?”

 

“Okay, I was a little misguided and misjudged Brian’s feelings right now...but I know he feels for me the way I do about him. He’s always said that he loved me…”

 

“So what gave you the idea about the notice in Out or the invites?! Like Mel said, you’ve lost something that you never had a chance of winning! Let me make this clear to you again and perhaps it will actually sink in this time… He’s not in denial about his feelings. His past tricks having a slight resemblance to you does not mean he’s trying to fuck you out of his system. He’s in love with Justin and will never ever be in love with you like that!”

 

His eyes fill with tears and his face is red. “No Michael, tears and pouting is not going to cut it! He’s in a grown up relationship. Do you hear me? A relationship! A real one, not the one that exists in your head and your head alone. You want to get back in with Vic? Then own your shit and work towards earning his trust again. Because that's the core issue with Vic; he no longer trusts you! Hell let’s face it, we no longer trust you...no trust, no relationship!”

 

The diner is completely silent. People are just staring at us...stunned. I know I wasn’t speaking loud enough for people to hear.

 

“What?” I demand. “I wasn’t shouting.”

 

“No, you weren’t. It was the way you looked at him when you said whatever you said. Debs, you finally talked to him the way a mother should!” Kiki says. “So proud!”

 

“Let me out!” Michael snaps, tears suddenly gone. “And as for you Kiki, at least you’re proud of something. Shame it is not yourself!”

 

Kiki carefully puts the pot she’s holding down and approaches him. In full baritone she tells him, “You need to leave and now. Or I will rip off that unbroken arm and shove it up your ass!”

 

He, for once, doesn’t need to be told twice!

 

MEL’S HOUSE - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

GUS’S ROOM

 

LEDA

 

I know he’s talented but I am astonished by the depth of it. There is just an outline on the wall and it is incredible. We are waiting for the new furniture to arrive since Mel decided to sell everything that was in storage. She made a pretty penny too.

 

“Leda! Van’s here!” Ben calls up and I head downstairs to be the boss. I have to get my ladies and wee man’s home perfect!

 

Four hours later, the house is set up completely! We’re going to christen it this weekend by having dinner here but returning to Britin as Brian is not ready to let Ruby out of his sight yet. It is so sweet when they have daddy and daughter time. Gus is very firm on that. When it’s daddy and Ruby time, nothing and nobody not even papa messes with it. When he said that Brian and Justin looked so proud!

 

“Okay, so what are you cooking?” Ben asks and I look horrified. “Look, don’t take this the wrong way, but Emmy and Franc do this for a living. Each time we go to Britin, they cook and Britin is realistically the only place that we can all gather together. Let’s give them a break. Plus she’s been ferrying Markus to his appointments as he can’t drive and…”

 

“Okay I get it. Let’s help our girl and your boy.”

 

“Thank you.” Ben smiles in relief.

 

“Hi Debs, it’s Leda. I can’t cook to save my life so...great! Rally all the troops!”

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - THURSDAY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

I haven’t been on Liberty Avenue for a few days after the altercations with Ma and Kiki. I’m still reeling from their treatment of me! And on top of that, I didn’t even get to tell Ma about what’s happening in the store. I decide to do some investigating because there is no way in fuck that this is true about Brett Keller being there! And as for him being part owner...again, I call a crock of shit!

 

Three hours later, I am raging! It’s all fucking true! Why doesn’t anything go right for me?!

 

Another two hours later, I have finished the three bottles of beer and the remains of the wine. I think the email to Brett Keller’s office is perfect!

 

KINNETIC - FRIDAY LUNCHTIME

 

RECEPTION

 

EMMY LOU

 

As I wait in reception with Randolph, I can’t help but adore this sprightly man. “So have you been down Liberty Avenue?”

 

“Oh goodness me, no! I’m much too...who the hell is that?!” A blush floods his face as he is transfixed by someone up the corridor. “Hide me!”

 

“What on earth?!” I whisper as he pulls me to stand in front of him. I try to see who he is looking at, but all I can see is Ted and Brian. On any given day that shouldn’t cause panic in this otherwise, fearless, man.

 

“Yes much better, teeth check!” He whirls me around to face him. “Are they good?”

 

“Uh yes!”

 

“Good! I’m taking your advice! Wish me luck! Well ready or not whomever you are, here I come!”

 

I have no clue what is happening! As Randolph steps out from behind me and heads to the reception desk, Eliza looks equally bewildered. We try not to laugh when his elbow slips off the desk as he tries for nonchalance!

 

When Brian and Ted get level with their guests in tow, he steps towards Brian. “Brian! I am so sorry I’m late!”

 

Late?

 

Brian frowns but I spot the slight nod from Randolph at whoever they’re with.

 

“Not a problem Randolph, not a problem. These things can’t be helped...oh excuse, my manners. Randolph Charles, this is George Schickle of Schickle Pickles. We’re hoping to take over their advertising.”

 

“Schickle Pickles, oh they are my favorites! Brian has recently taken over our advertising. I founded Seabird Enterprises. Such a shame I missed our appointment.”

 

“Seabird Enterprises! The one with and that’s just the fishing as the tagline?”

 

“Yes. You can google me if you like.”

 

It takes everything not to laugh when Ted slaps his head in disbelief!

 

“As a matter of interest, why would you have been in the appointment?” George asks.

 

“We were with VanGuard but they weren’t cutting edge enough. I was going to come in to recommend that you take Kinnetic on. In a few short weeks, our market recognition is up by 11%.”

 

Cynthia hustles Ted back to his office.

 

“Really?” George looks impressed. “Well, we have…”

 

“This is painful, stop it now!” Brian sighs. “You both had the same reaction the moment you looked at each other. So save the dick swinging for the bedroom. Now, Eliza can you book Le Mont or Eleven for them to get to know each other, without discussing business?”

 

“Yes, Mr Kinney.” Eliza tries and fails to keep the laughter out of her voice.

 

I don’t think I have ever seen two men look so relieved to stop posturing in my life! And as Brian and I head to his office, he pauses and looks back. “Sweet.” He mutters.

 

“Yes you are, but I won’t tell anyone.” I grin at him.

 

MEL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

The smells in here are incredible. Which would be great if Franc didn’t look like she wants to murder someone...naturally that someone is Michael!

 

“He tried to fucking cancel it!” She rails. “He sent an email to Brett…”

 

“Franc, calm down.” Markus sighs. “I get it. He’s pissed you off and…”

 

“Not even close! I don’t give a fuck about me! He’s tried to hurt Nathan and…”

 

“Calm down!” Markus tells her again. “I give a fuck about you and you’re going to have an aneurysm if you don’t chill out!”

 

“Sorry.” She sighs, idly scratching his stomach and he almost melts. “The thing is, he and Ray are ideally suited, personality wise. Given half the chance, they would’ve concentrated on each other and…”

 

“That’s it!” Randolph declares. He’s got more pep in his step since his date with George. “Oh now, what was the name of the chap that you saved Ray from?”

 

“Ethan?”

 

“No-no...you called him Ivy…”

 

“Oh, I remember him! Dammit what’s his name?!” Veri taps her head as if she’s trying to reboot her memory.

 

“He liked his eggs dippy…I remember that! They were almost raw!” Rupert shudders.

 

“Dippy Dave!” Franc exclaims. “Oh sorry!” She rubs Markus’s hip after he winces.

 

“Aha! Dr. David Cameron!”  Randolph is gleeful.

 

“Who’s David Cameron and am I the only one that is thinking why a doctor?” Justin asks.

 

“No you’re not!” Debs states.

 

“Okay, he’s a surgeon and... well let’s just say that he makes Michael look distant when it comes to affection.” Veri laughs.

 

“Are you trying to set my son up with a psycho?” Debs exclaims.

 

“No he’s not dangerous, I assure you. He’s just needy.” Randolph laughs.

 

“When you say needy, what do you mean?” Vic looks worried. For all that’s said and done, Michael is still his nephew.

 

“He sent Ray flowers after their first date.” Franc starts to laugh.

 

“That’s nice...right?” Ems asks.

 

 

“Two thousand dollars’ worth of flowers, most of which Ray was allergic to.” Randolph laughs. “I think it’s high time that Michael is on the receiving end of his own brand of affection.”

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly. Thank you.