- Text Size +

CHAPTER 56 - SO WHAT WE’RE GOING TO DO IS THIS…

 

DAVID’S CONDO - LATE SUNDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

MICHAEL

 

Again, I can’t have one fucking thing I want here! “I understand what you are saying. But what I don't understand is why you need six containers of meatloaf, when you are only here two full days?” David asks from inside of his wardrobe…

 

...everything is his! I mean I understand that it is his place, but I daren’t even hang my clothes in there. “Because, I like meatloaf and…”

 

“I don't really.” He has the decency to look embarrassed.

 

“You said you liked it!”

 

“I did. The first couple of times but then it was all the time. There was no variety…”

 

I feel like I have been betrayed. “There was variety! Beef, veal and pork…”

 

“It was still meatloaf. Look, why not just bring one container for you? Surely that would be enough?”

 

“Yes, since clearly, I’m the only one going to be eating it! Oh by the way, I hate noodle salad!”

 

“I know, which is why Manny only makes enough for me. If you’re here when he makes it, I’ve asked him to make a pasta one for you instead.”

 

“Pasta?” I echo.

 

He sighs. “Yes, Michael. Now let's go to your mother’s.”

 

BRITIN

 

GARDEN

 

MEL

 

Gus is colouring in his book and Leda is on the lounger with Ruby on her chest.

 

“So Gus, about your birthday. What do you want to do?”

 

“Oh not sure, mommy.” He looks up frowning. “Can I have a party...please?! Can I have a party please?”

 

“Yes you can.” I chuckle at his hastily corrected manners. “Where do you want to have it?”

 

“I can have it anywhere?” He looks so awed.

 

“Anywhere in Pittsburgh, yes you can.” Leda adds, laughing.

 

“It’s in a couple of weeks... “

 

“14 sleeps.” He points out proudly.

 

“Yes. So if we have the party on Saturday with everyone, then maybe we can celebrate your actual birthday on Sunday, but just with us, Ruby and your daddies?”

 

“Oh yes! Yes please! Thank you!” He rushes over and gives me a hug and kiss and does the same for Leda and tickles Ruby’s toes. Then he rushes inside before coming straight back out. “Just getting paper for the list!”

 

“Okay, but don’t run!” Leda shouts back.

 

“Yes momma!”

 

We exchange sappy looks at him calling me mommy and her momma. Inwardly, I crow as that would annoy Lindsay so much if she heard that.

 

And speaking of Lindsay, I heard from Franc exactly what she is doing now. Basically she’s a glorified gopher and she hates every second of it! But her parents have told her if she leaves the job or comes back to Pittsburgh, they will disinherit her! Nice of them to finally find that backbone of theirs...seems it was in France!

 

“Okay mommy, shall we start the list of people I’d like to come?” I nod and he sits next to me on the grass. “Momma, you and Ruby come sit too.” He pats the spot next to him.

 

Once we are all situated, he gets a contemplative look on his face. “How about you do the thinking and I do the writing?” Leda suggests and he hands her the paper and pen. “Okay, let’s start with the obvious...Chandra.”

 

“What about the family and everyone from the ship?” He looks puzzled and a little upset.

 

“It’s a given that we are all going to be there. This list is for the other people you want to come.”

 

“Oh I see. Then we have to have Mr George…”

 

By the time we have finished, we have a lot of people to invite. He was a little upset that he couldn’t invite the kittens but felt better when we promised that they could come on Sunday to celebrate with us. We just need to ask Nathan about that!

 

DEBS HOUSE - EARLY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

RODNEY

 

Well that’s new! Michael seems to be going all out to be pleasant and attentive to David!

 

“Vic, did you calls Ems?” Debs asks from the kitchen.

 

“Sis, I really don’t think it…”

 

“That would be a no then! Rodney, what are your thoughts or are you going to be a fuddy-duddy like him?”

 

“Debs, what are you talking about?” David asks, having helped clear the table with Michael.

 

“Bachelor party. Ems wants to organise one and Vic is saying no.”

 

“I agree with Uncle Vic. You guys are much too old for that kind of thing!” Michael huffs. “It’s so unseemly…”

 

“Unseemly?!” Debs gasps indignantly. “Michael, you do realise they have sex, right?”

 

“Ewww! No they don’t! That’s just gross!” He shudders.

 

“Michael, we are old not dead. It just takes a lot longer for us to get there...but get there we do!” Vic asserts. “What do you say, Rodney? Go for it and get Dorothy and Rose to come with?”

 

“Absolutely! Now as to…”

 

“Dorothy? Rose?” David looks bewildered as does Michael. But then again if it’s not about Brian or comics, Michael’s not really interested!

 

“Yes, I’m Blanche and he’s Sophia.” Vic explains but David still looks blank. “The Golden Girls, which is what Ems calls me, Rodney, Randy and Georgie.”

 

“Aha, I’ve heard of that! Supposed to be really funny.”

 

“It’s a classic!” Debs agrees. “Actually, I think I might...hold on!” She scurries to her cupboard and roots around. “Aha!” She calls out triumphantly. “Got it!” She comes back out waving the boxset at us. “Wanna watch?”

 

“Yes!” David beams. “Now is it one of those things where you have to have snacks?”

 

“What do you mean snacks? You still hungry, honey?”

 

“No, no. I mean when you have a marathon watching session without moving from the sofa?”

 

“Ah gotcha! Well let’s digest first and if we need snacks, you and I can rustle some up.”

 

“Great!”

 

“Are we seriously going to watch this?” Michael’s back to his usual carping snarking self I see!

 

“Yes. We never got round to watching it at mine.” I laugh. “Three mimosas in and it was forgotten!”

 

“Now that’s an idea! Cocktails!” David enthuses and Michael looks horrified. “Let’s do this!”

 

“Uh David…” Michael begins as David stands up and starts to rifle through his pockets.

 

“Where’s the nearest liquor store to here? And what should I get?”

 

“Good grief, anybody would think you’ve never done something like this before!” Vic chuckles and David blushes. “You haven’t, have you?”

 

“Not really.” He admits.

 

“Well in that case…” Vic stands up too.

 

“Wait, why not have a Marvel Marathon instead? It starts soon.” Michael interrupts and you could see the fun leaving the room!

 

“Because we want to watch the Golden Girls.” I point out. “And I’m…”

 

“Hey everyone.” Daphne calls out as she comes in. “What you guys doing?”

 

“About to start the Golden Girls boxset but we need cocktails. We’re about to pop David’s boxset and cocktails cherry!” Debs cackles.

 

“Oh, can I join? I could do with a cocktail. Orienteering exam was a bitch!” She grumbles.

 

“The more the merrier! Wait, where’s Hunter?” Vic asks.

 

“Store... He, like me, is traumatised and needs some Nathan and kitten loving.”

 

“Does Nathan actually ever leave that store?” Michael snipes. “He seems to live there.”

 

“He does live there.” Daphne looks at him as if he’s stupid. “In the apartment above it.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I feel like I have been sucker punched! The apartment above the store is huge but Brian wouldn’t buy it, saying he didn’t want to invest in property! It wouldn’t have been an investment, it would’ve been my home!

 

“So anyway.” She looks away from me, shaking her head. “Have we got cocktails or should I go and get something?”

 

“That’s what I was going to do. Okay, you guys set up; we won’t be long! Come on Daph!” David exclaims and in seconds, is gone.

 

As soon as the door closes, Ma starts setting it up.

 

“So how are things going?” Uncle Vic asks. “You seem to have gotten over your little squabble.”

 

“We’re fine.”

 

“But?” He prompts.

 

“I just don’t want to watch this. It’s boring to me.” I pout.

 

“And the Non-marvellous Marvel borathon is boring to us!” Rodney retorts. “And...oh hello, Mel.” He answers his ringing phone. “No, we’re all fine, why? Ah I see…one second. Debs, Vic, have you got your phones on silent again? Mel’s been trying to get through since early this morning. Gus has a question.”

 

Ma immediately bustles to her bag and sighs crossly. “Battery’s dead. Vic, what about you?”

 

“Silent. Sorry.”

 

“Put him on speaker Rodney, let’s see what my grandson wants…”

 

“Hang on Mel just putting you on speaker. Right off you go.”

 

“He-hello?” Gus’s voice comes over. “Grandma? Are you okay?”

 

“Yes honey, we are all fine. Sorry we missed your calls. What’s up?”

 

“You knows it’s my birthday soon and I’m going to be 5? Well mommy said I can have a party and I wanted to invite you all to it. We will send properly in...pardon mommy...oh I mean, proper invites after you all say yes. You are going to say yes, aren’t you?”

 

“Of course we will! We wouldn’t miss that for the world! Now when is it?”

 

“The day before my birthday so the 8th. We don’t know where we’re having it yet though. But Veri and Mr Rupert are coming over too!”

 

“That’s wonderful Gus! Now what do you want as a present?” Rodney asks.

 

“Oh hello, Uncle Rodney! I don’t know. I will have to speak to my mommies and daddies first.”

 

“Okay, get either your mommies or daddies to let us know.”

 

“I will Uncle Rodney, I have to go now! Love you all!”

 

“Love you too, Gus!” We all chorus.

 

Just as I look at my watch again wondering what is taking them so long, the door opens.

 

“Oh yeah, who are you loving?” Daphne laughs as they come in ladened down with liquor.

 

“Good grief, how much have you bought?!” Ma exclaims, helping them with the bags.

 

“Sorry we took so long. I got a little over excited.” David admits. “And when I saw these, I couldn’t resist.”

 

“Oh my goodness! Babycham glasses!” Rodney exclaims. “Where the hell did you find these?!”

 

“Goodwill store had them in the window! Almost three full sets. They need a wash first before we use them.”

 

“And the answer is Gus. He’s invited us all to his birthday party on the 8th, I said yes for all of us.” Ma tells them. “Right so let’s get these washed up. David, you’re with me on cocktail making, what with your sophisticated palate. Vic, finish the set up. Daph and Rodney put away the booze and Michael unfold your arms and help with something!”

 

BRITIN - MID-EVENING

 

GARAGE

 

BRIAN

 

I love watching him sleep. He looks so innocent. But my ass knows differently! We spent the entire day in bed on Saturday. I packed his book and after seven pages; page 4 three times, we finally passed out!

 

“Hey.” I push the hair out of his eyes and he looks up at me from my lap.

 

“Hey are we home?” He mumbles, stretching.

 

“Yep. Come on, up you get.”

 

“Oooh.” He inches forward slowly. “Are you still sore too?”

 

“Yes.” I’m relieved it’s not just me. “What we need is a long hot soak and some soothing balm.”

 

“Can’t believe we didn’t pack that!” He giggles and groans as he stretches his legs. “Or that you had my legs in that position for so long.”

 

“This from the man who did a standing split...”

 

“DADDIES! DADDIES! IS THAT YOU? ARE YOU HOME NOW?!” Gus bellows and we hear his footsteps thundering down the hallway.

 

“We will discuss this later.” I leer.

 

“Discuss not re-enact.” He asserts firmly. But I’m pretty sure after a bath, I could persuade him!

 

“Yes Sonny Boy, we’re back!” I yell just as he pulls open the door and flies into my arms. “Oh Sonny Boy, how we missed you!”

 

“I missed you too, daddies. Papa, come get a hug! So much to tell you!”

 

“Oh Gussie, it is so good so see you!” Justin blows a raspberry on his neck. “Right, you can tell us everything once we’ve taken the cases upstairs. We will come straight back down, we promise.”

 

“Okay papa!” He runs back inside, yelling to his mommies that we’re home and to wake Ruby up.

 

“Not sure how Ruby is going to take to that!” I smile and then wince again. Maybe no re-enactment for us tonight, after all!

 

An hour later, Custard is on my feet. Ruby is in Justin’s arms and he’s in mine, Gus is telling us about the party and I have never been happier!

 

DAVID’S CONDO - SAME TIME

 

DAVID

 

I can’t help the odd chuckle that I let out when I remember bits of dialogue from the Golden Girls. The stuff of legend as Daph said! We were all crying with laughter when Rose was discussing the great herring war; I still maintain that they just kept going because Betty White kept going, even though they did corpse slightly.

 

“It wasn’t that funny.” Michael gripes as we head to the lounge.

 

“It was! It was hilarious! I even saw you titter a couple of times.” I tease him.

 

“I do not titter.” He snipes.

 

“What’s wrong now?” I sigh.

 

“I just didn’t expect to stay this long. Haven’t you got a busy week ahead this week?”

 

“Not really. I’ve got tomorrow off after the hell that was last week and…”

 

“You’ve got tomorrow off? Why didn’t you say so?”

 

“I did tell you. Twice. But you were reading a comic and got lost in your own little world...again.”

 

“Oh. So what are we doing tomorrow, then? Seeing as we now have all this time to spend together...”

 

I knew that was going to happen! Time to put the brakes on that idea! “I have made plans with Franc to…”

 

“Franc? What for?”

 

“Markus is still experiencing pain in his hip, so I said I would have a look at it for him. As for the afternoon, I am going to the library. I have some research to look up.”

 

“Can’t you do that here and I wait for you to come back after you see Markus?”

 

“I need the quiet of the library to concentrate. I’m a bit of a geek like that.”

 

“I totally understand! You’re like me with my comics. I just zone out when I’m reading and concentrate on that!”

 

How dare you compare the two?! I am looking up medical procedures and history and you are reading something you should’ve grown out of at the age of 12! It’s so tempting to say that but instead I just nod and smile. “So you’re okay with what’s happening tomorrow?”

 

“Yes, I’ll just bring my comics with me and sit by the pool until you’re ready to go.”

 

Oh for crying out loud!

 

“Michael, this is a private appointment and it will still be at the hospital. So no, you can’t hang around and wait. I will drop you off before I go to meet Franc.”

 

“Okay.” He sighs. “What time’s the appointment?”

 

I wrestle the smile off my face. “Seven, so we would need to be ready to go at six.”

 

“If I had known that I would’ve insisted we come home earlier!” He grumbles, heading upstairs.

 

You may have insisted, Michael, but you would’ve gone to your own home by yourself! I thoroughly enjoyed today. The bandage is starting to come loose!

 

GEORGE’S MANSION - THURSDAY EVENING

 

GEORGE

 

Well that was fun! Our first official break together! We went to San Francisco for four days and relived the youth that neither of us had. But right now, we both could use a nap right after a very large brandy!

 

“Blinking.” Randy says as he slips off his shoes and leaves them neatly by the door. “I think something is blinking in that room. Is it an alarm? Did I get switching it off wrong?”

 

“No you didn’t. It’s the answer machine. Let me check and you get some well-earned brandies for us.”

 

“Oh hell yes! I think we should just get straws and the bottle then have at it.”

 

OFFICE

 

I chuckle as I make my way to the machine and press play. Most of them can wait but then comes over the sweet voice of Gus Marcus Kinney.

 

“What on earth is wrong?” Randy gasps, setting the glasses down as I wipe my eyes.

 

“Nothing bad. Just listen to this…”

 

“Hello Mr George, it’s me Gus. I hope you had a nice holiday. I don’t know if you knowed but it’s my birthday soon and I’m having a party. So I wanted to invite you and Mr Randolph to come to it. It’s on the 8th so in 8 sleeps time. I really hope you can both come, we just need to know where to hold it. Mommy will let you know. Bye Mr George and say hello to Mr Randolph for me...oh wait, another thing... please can you tell Mr Randolph that Uncle Rodney and Uncle Vic are coming too? I knows you are all friends so you can sit together. Bye again.”

 

“Isn’t he the sweetest little boy…” I sniff and take a sip of brandy.

 

“That he is. Oh no, when did he say?”

 

“The 8th...that’s the same day as…”

 

“Exactly!” Randolph grumps. “And the only people we’ve confirmed are Andrew and Ray, nobody is going to want to disappoint Gus, especially not us!”

 

“Nobody is going to my dear sweet Dorothy.” I come round the desk and kiss his cheek. “Follow me.” I take his hand and lead him to an area he’s not seen before and after a bit of a push and a shove manage to get the door open. “It’s a bit musty and dusty, but will it do?”

 

“Oh Rose! It will! It definitely will!” He cries, almost squeezing the life out of me. “Shall we see if we can talk to Gus now?”

 

“Indeed!” I declare and we walk hand in hand back to the office.

 

BRITIN - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

“Hey Sonny Boy, did you enjoy your bath?”

 

“Yes daddy, but Rhubie got a bit wet and slunked off to sulk.”

 

“Ah I see. Well before you go to bed, there’s someone that wants to talk to you. Come and sit between papa and me and let me know when I can make the call.”

 

“Okay now daddy.” He swings his feet as the number dials.

 

“Schickel residence, how may I help you?”

 

“May I speak to George Schickel please?”

 

“Who may I say is calling?”

 

“Gus Marcus Kinney, Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor.”

 

“Thank you gentlemen, I shall put you straight through.”

 

“Gentlemen, how are you all?” George asks.

 

“Fine George, just fine. Gus is with us as requested.”

 

“Good. Hello Gus, its Mr George and Mr Randolph!”

 

“Hello! Did you have a nice holiday?”

 

“We did, thank you. Now the reason we’re calling is about your party…”

 

“You can come, can’t you?” He looks so nervously at me. But so far nobody has said no.

 

“Yes of course, we are coming! But you mentioned that you haven’t picked a ven...somewhere to have it; is that still true?”

 

“Yes Mr George, we are looking still.”

 

“Hello Gus, its Mr Randolph. Do you know we have something in common?”

 

“No, what’s that?”

 

“Birthdays. Yours is on the 9th and mine is on the 11th.”

 

“Oh neat! Papa, actually you forgot yours, so daddy we must remember so I can send him a card. Oh wait! I have an idea, do you want to share my party, Mr Randolph? I don’t mind.”

 

“Thank you Gus, that is very sweet of you!” George’s voice is thick. “In that case, you must come to my house and have the party here. I have a huge room that you can use!”

 

“You do? You truly do?! Can we come and see it now?!”

 

“Gussie, you can wait till the weekend to see it.” Justin laughs. “Is that okay, George?”

 

“That’s perfect! I shall send you the address and some photos and we will discuss everything else at the weekend. Agreed?”

 

“Absolutely! Thank you George, that is very kind.” I ruffle Sonny Boy’s hair. He looks so happy.

 

“Kindness deserves kindness. Goodnight all.”

 

“Goodnight!” We all shout.

 

“Okay young man, up to bed with you. We don’t want you over tired tomorrow. And yes, before you ask, you can bring Chandra. I shall call her parents now.” I look at Justin and he nods.

 

“Night daddy, night papa!” Gus cries as he skips out of the room.

 

“You know he’s not going to sleep because he so excited?”

 

“Yep. And speaking of which…” I pull him into my lap but he tries to squirm away. “Okay, why?”

 

“Call Chandra’s folks first; you said you would.”

 

“True, but don’t move from that spot!” I order.

 

“Oh I won’t and I won’t remain clothed either!” He purrs in my ear.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks