- Text Size +

CHAPTER 60 - LET’S PARTY...PART 2

 

MICHAEL

 

“Is that you Michael?” I sigh and turn to face Ted, who is looking at me with an amused but confused expression. “You look interesting! Are you having a good time?”

 

“Great, just great! So do you. Which animal were you going for?” I snipe as I pick up a wing.

 

“An owl.” He sighs heavily. “Michael, whatever it is that is bothering you, get over it for today.”

 

“What is bothering me, as you so dismissively put it, is that everyone is being helped to move forward in their careers by Brian except me!”

 

He looks incredulous and then pissed. “So you bought that store, did you?”

 

“I mean now! Brian is going to put Emmett’s business on retainer for Kinnetic.”

 

“Yes, I know; I suggested it to him when I saw what he did here. Now once again, save this for later. This is a birthday party not a pity party! What do you think of the food?”

 

“It’s okay, I guess.” I mutter... okay? Who am I kidding? It's fucking fantastic! “No Blake?”

 

“One of the kids has a graze so he’s dealing with that. And your response about the food is why people don't want to help you. Now excuse me, I’ve got to go have some fun. You should try it.”

 

I decide to rejoin the family. Hopefully, they will have calmed down a bit. Although, I still maintain that Gus is spoilt!

 

As I head back, I am surprised to see that Raymond is still here. As I sit down I turn to Emmett. “Thought he was leaving?”

 

“Car has engine trouble.” His tone is brusque and clearly, he’s still not cooled down yet.

 

I look across at Brian, where Emmett is also looking. He and Blond Ass have taken over a cushion. While Brian is lying down, Blond Ass is sitting up and squirming. I frown and then seethe as he looks back at Brian and mouths stop it, but decide to keep my thoughts to myself.

 

“So Michael, what are you going to do?” Ma asks me and I sigh, as I know she’s talking about playing with the kids.

 

“I’ll help put the piñata up. Where are they going?”

 

“Up? Do you see any trees?” She shakes her head. “You have to hold them and guide the kids. Go over there where the long bench is and help as you said you would!”

 

“But I’m still eating!” I object, indicating the plate to my side.

 

“Take it with you. Go. Now!” Her hand starts to twitch and I swiftly get up and do as I’m told.

 

RUPERT

 

It looks like Raymond is going to be here for a while, shame that! He’s standing by the bar looking slightly smug. Time to wipe that off his face... I stride over and take the glass out of his hand. “You are going to help with clean up; it’s time for fun and games.”

 

“No, I’m not.” He scoffs. “I’m not dressed for clean-up.”

 

“Raymond, let me make this clear to you. We have been monitoring your progress, or should I say lack thereof, in London. Either you get some brownie points by helping with clean up or we demote you to analyst with the relevant pay structure and kick you out of the apartment.” His eyes widen and he seemingly waits for the punchline...there isn't going to be one.

 

He stops leaning on the bar and looks around. “Where do I start?”

 

“Ask that man over there.” I order, pointing to the head of the wait staff. He takes his time to go to him, but he does do it.

 

“What on earth is he doing?” Veri snickers as Ray takes a trash bag and starts the clean-up.

 

“Being helpful. Can't think what’s got into him.” I signal the head and when he comes I whisper in his ear. With a smile and a nod, he speaks into his mike to the rest of his staff. I take her hand and we head to join dad and George.

 

DAVID

 

Grady is now locked onto my ankles. Andrew is making his way back with a plate of wings for us to share.

 

“I could be reading more into this than there is, but do George and Randolph seem to be covertly watching us?” I ask him.

 

“Oh, you noticed that too? They get this little grin on their faces and are nodding approvingly.

 

“Don’t take this as me being rude but why are you here?”

 

“George wants his kitchen redone and we had a meeting prior to the party. Sorry David, but your boyfriend doesn’t look happy. He really does give a very good nasty look.”

 

“First, I don’t have a boyfriend. So which of the people I was formerly seeing are you referring to?”

 

“Pardon?” He looks somewhat scandalised.

 

“Oh! Let me explain! The one carrying the trash bag, for whatever reason, I dated years ago. The one that I was at the park with, I was involved with very briefly before I came to my senses...”

 

He looks a bit relieved. Can I dare hope? “So how did Manny apologise to you? He never said and I’m sorry that I didn’t do it myself. But to be honest, I was embarrassed at my faux pas.”

 

“Manny? Who’s Manny?” He looks confused.

 

“Manny, my PA, who called you to thank you for the cookies and wine you sent on behalf of Grady.”

 

“I never sent you anything. Though on reflection, I should’ve done.”

 

“You didn’t?” I look across again at George and Randolph, who have been joined by Emmett and Ben and all four of them quickly look away. “How did George find you?”

 

“Um he...come to think of it, I have no idea. He just called up and wanted me to come and look at his kitchen.”

 

“Let’s have a seat. I smell a conspiracy.” I get comfortable on the cushion and call my soon-to-be-ex-PA. “Hi Manny, it’s David. Yeah, having a great time. Quick question, how did you get involved in this let’s set-up Andrew and David scheme?” I chuckle as he sings like a canary and then pleads for forgiveness. Andrew is mouthing what at me. “You are forgiven but no doggy bag for you! You’re missing out on Tomahawk steaks...oh alright, stop whimpering. I’ll see what I can do. Bye Manny.”

 

“Did I hear correctly about let’s set up Andrew and David?” He demands.

 

“You did indeed. So what’s happened is this…” By the time I’ve finished telling him, he’s looking partly disappointed.

 

“It’s a shame, really?” He sighs.

 

“What is?”

 

“I would’ve loved to have done that kitchen.” He laughs. “So how are we going to play this? I think Manny may be on the phone to Emmett, judging by the expression on his face.”

 

I look across and have to laugh and the now guilty faces. “Well for a start, we find out where George got that gift basket from. It was exquisite!” I help him up.

 

“Grady, stay.” Grady looks up and for once does as he’s told. “After you, kind sir.” He waves me theatrically ahead.

 

RANDOLPH

 

“Uh-oh. Here they come.” I whisper to George, who merely laughs. “They wouldn’t berate me on my birthday, would they?”

 

“They don’t look mad.” Emmy tries to reassure me but I’m not so sure.

 

ANDREW

 

“So I believe we have budding matchmakers in our midst.” David looks at George. “Well, what do you have to say for yourselves?”

 

“Oh please! The goo-goo eyes you have been making at each other since you rescued Grady, which we had nothing to do with by the way, aren’t fake. Are they?” George looks hopeful.

 

“Goo-goo eyes? You are showing your age.” David laughs.

 

“That would be a no then.” Emmy grins. “Okay, we are sorry, for interfering, and will leave the two of you to get to know each other in peace. I mean the three of you.”

 

“Three?” I ask, looking bemusedly around.

 

“Yes, Grady makes three.” Ben smiles and we look around and sure enough, he is trotting towards us.

 

“Of course he does. We come as a pair.” I grin and happily, he grins back.

 

GUS

 

This is the bestest party! Mr Lodge has been helping us paint the hero pictures for Mr David. I was so scared when Grady went into the pool. Mr George has had a lid put on it now.

 

“Right everyone, I think we need to let the pictures dry now. In this heat it won’t take long.”

 

“Mr Lodge.” Tobias calls out. “Can we play the games now?”

 

“Yes, let’s make the announcement. Gus, do you want to do it?”

 

I look across at mommy and she nods that I should, but I’m a bit shy to speak in front of all these people. I knows I knows them but they will all be staring at me, so I make a decision. “I want to bring Chandra with me. Is that okay?”

 

“Yes, of course you can. Are you nervous?” Mr Lodge smiles at me and I nod. “Then you must take her as she is your succour.”

 

I frown. “Mr Lodge, why are you calling Chandra a lollipop? She’s my best friend.” I look up as a shadow comes over me and it’s daddy. He’s laughing, so are mommy, momma and papa. I don’t get it.  “What’s so funny?”

 

“Sonny Boy, he doesn’t mean sucker as in that. The succour he means is spelt s-u-c-c-o-u-r and it means to be your support and help.”

 

“Okay. Grown ups can be so confusing.” I grumble and papa ruffles my hair. “Can we do it now please, while I’m feeling brave?”

 

“Indeed.” Mr Lodge takes our hands and leads us to the big stage. He taps the thing Mr Randolph spoke into and everyone is now looking at us.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, your attention please! We have another announcement to make!  Now Gus let me lower the mike, which is what you’ll talk into, before you speak, okay?”

 

I nod and Chandra squeezes my hand as it comes down lower and lower. “What do I say?” I whisper to her. Then she twists her lip and screws up her face. She always does that when she’s thinking really hard.

 

“Oh, tell them what we’re going to be playing, how long for and about the sweets afterwards. And then tell them about the cakes, but remember to say they’re not going to be cut and...”

 

“I’m not going to remember all of that!” I gasp and look back out into the crowd. They are very quiet and waiting for me to speak. I can feel myself starting to cry because I don’t want to mess up.

 

“You don’t have to say it all at once, Sonny Boy.” I turn into daddy’s legs and bury my face there. “Why not just tell them the first bit about the games and then you can do the next bit about the sweets and cakes after you’ve finished playing?”

 

I feel someone stroking my back and I know it’s papa. “Come on Gussie, take a deep breath.”

 

I sniff hard and Chandra gives me a tissue. “You’re going to be aces at this! Trust me, I’m your bestest friend.” She nods at the thing that is now in front of my face.

 

I take another breath and feel better when daddy holds my shoulder and papa kneels in front of me. “Look at me Gussie and then speak. Imagine it’s just you and me here, okay?”

 

“Okay papa.” I jump as my voice sounds so loud!

 

“Just you and me here.” Papa says again.

 

“Um, he-hello papa, I mean everyone! W-we going to be playing games now. L-like swing ball, running games and then at the end, we’re going to be hitting a pin-pin...” My lip starts to tremble.

 

“Gus, it’s called a piñata.” Chandra tells me. “Let’s break the word down like Mr Lodge teached us. So it’s pin.”

 

“Pin.” I repeat.

 

“Yata.” She says.

 

“Yata. Piñata. Piñata, where you hit it with sticks. And...and that’s it for now.”

 

“One more thing, Sonny Boy...” Daddy whispers. “Say let the games begin.”

 

“Oh, let the games begin! Like that daddy?”

 

“Exactly like that. Well done, so proud of you!”

 

“Told you that you’d be aces!” Chandra smiles. “Now come on, let’s go play!”

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe that I have been relegated to the role of dogsbody! Every time I tried to go back and sit down, someone gave me something to do!  And now the entire party is going inside for some reason. But at least I’ve not suffered the fate of Raymond, he’s a well-dressed garbage collector!

 

And speaking of clothes, I am sweating buckets in this outfit! I had no idea it was going to be this hot and with all this helping I am doing, I have some rather unattractive stains.

 

“Michael, you are going to be on piñata duty, so you’re not needed for now…” Mel declares as she passes me with Ruby and I sigh in relief. “...you can help Raymond with clean-up instead.”

 

“What?! I…”

 

“Can always go home instead. Though how you will achieve that is anyone’s guess as there is no way the coach is going without the kids being on it.” Leda informs me. “And nobody else wants to leave now so you won’t be getting a lift from anyone.”

 

“Are you Michael?” A man asks and I nod. “Great, take this and let’s get cracking. Thankfully, we’re just on the remains of trash, so it won’t take long.”

 

He smiles winningly at me...I don’t smile back. Twenty minutes later, we are finally finished!

 

“Okay, the first game we’re going to play is soccer!” Emmett calls out and starts to split them into teams.

 

I am almost spitting feathers as it seems everyone has changed into sports gear. I didn’t know we were supposed to bring stuff like that! I watch from the sidelines, again, as Brian chases Blond Ass instead of going for the ball!

 

“Okay, I have no idea who won that game!” Emmett announces. “But now, it’s swingball time!”

 

I am determined to join in but yet again, I am thwarted! I’m beginning to feel like Captain Astro in a den of villains. This time it’s Ma telling me to help fetch some waters for the thirsty athletes! I notice that Markus isn’t doing much but standing there. “Can’t Markus help, too?” I ask.

 

“How do you suggest he helps with a bad hip and Ruby strapped to his chest?” Veri scoffs as she looks at me in disbelief.

 

“I didn’t see her strapped to his chest!” I reply defensively.

 

“You don’t see much, do you Michael?” She snarks and saunters off.

 

When I get to the water stand, I notice Ray rushing out of the building that they did the face painting in and decide to check out what’s in there. And wish to hell I hadn’t! George and Randolph are making out like horny teenagers! I can’t keep my gasp of surprise quiet.

 

“Get out, Michael!” George bellows and I run out as fast as I can!

 

By the time we get back with the water, the image is finally fading from my mind and everyone is either sitting or lying down. But when they see us coming, they swarm all over us getting water. Laughing and joking and treating me like a fucking servant! I see David and grimace.

 

“Fizzy water please and a still for Grady! Thanks David.” Andrew calls out and goes to fetch his mutt and, presumably, the bowl, unless he’s going to pour the water down its neck... I feel a tap on my arm and Ray hands me a bottle of fizzy water with a smirk. I pick up the still and wait for David to ask.

 

“One fizzy and one still please.” He asks nice and politely and I hand them to him. He gives one to Andrew and then hands the fizzy one back to me. Can you open that for me please? Grady’s a bit excitable at the moment…”

 

“I’m not your servant, David!” I snipe, lowering my voice so that Uncle Vic doesn’t hear.

 

“And I’m not stupid enough to open that bottle of water knowing between the two of you idiots that it’s been shaken! Seriously, grow up the pair of you!”

 

“Uncle Michael! Uncle Michael!” Gus comes running towards me.

 

“Use Gus as an example of how to do it!” He bitches and stalks away with Andrew and his mutt.

 

“Yes Gus, what is it?” I ask tiredly.

 

“We’re ready to play the piñata now!” He tugs on my hand and starts to pull me towards the benches that we set up.

 

BLAKE

 

I am absolutely bushed! Luckily, I haven’t been called into professional service too much, just the odd graze or bruise.

 

“Okay, kids gather round!” Carl calls out and he gets down to their level. “Here’s how the piñata works! Each child will wear a blindfold and have a spotter, that’s someone that tells you where to hit. And you have to keep swinging until the piñata breaks. You have to be very careful though. Stay where your spotter tells you to stand and just keep swinging. Do we all understand?”

 

“Yes!” They all cry out excitedly.

 

“Okay, we have a bowl here, each child has to pick a piece of paper and that person’s their spotter…”

 

“Why have we done it this way? Can’t we just do it with our parents?” Rebecca asks. She’s a nervous little girl and an only child...

 

“We could, but this way you get to know other people and make more friends.” Carl explains gently. “Is that okay with you or do you not want to play?”

 

“Hey Rebecca, I’m Leda, you know Ruby’s momma? How about I be your spotter?” Leda asks. “Will you be okay with me?” There is a beat of silence before she nods and smiles and goes to stand next to her.

 

“Now we are only doing that for Rebecca so nobody else asks for their own spotter. Okay?”

 

My heart does a little flip as there are nods of understanding from virtually all the children. Soon little hands are disappearing into the bowl and names are being called out. Christopher gets Franc and is delighted. Gus is almost delirious as he gets Daphne and Chandra gets the man of her dreams...Hunter. Nathan shakes his head, muttering about first Vanda and now Chandra...what is it with women whose names end in ‘A’ trying to horn in on his boyfriend? I can’t help but chuckle at that, since I have that same problem with the ‘E’ women among us. Debbie, Daphne and Melanie absolutely love my Teddy, and not afraid to show it.

 

The trees are a set of five people holding the piñata as high as they can and then the fun really begins. There is some enthusiastic encouragement from the male contingent, with Markus being particularly loud with Tobias, so much so that Franc had to kiss him to shut him up!

 

When the first lot of piñatas are despatched, the parents are quick to take away the treats, much to the displeasure of some kids. But they are going to be hopped up enough when the desserts are served!

 

The second round is equally loud as the first but this time we have Grady yipping too, but that’s more to do with worry as Andrew is one of the trees. He is mightily relieved when Andrew comes back to sit with him and David. To make sure he didn’t do that again, Grady sits in his lap and refuses to move; not even for a piece of steak!

 

Justin being a tree in the third round brought out the protective sides of both Brian and Gus. But it was ultimately Gus who made Justin stop. He was so worried that he would get hit, so Ted took over and, of course, Ted got hit, only on his knee but Gus felt justified in his concerns. Chandra shared her treats with Ted to make him feel better. What a darling moment!

 

“You’d have had a big bruise, papa! Uncle Ted is limping! I didn’t want you to be limping.” Gus looks up at him with tears shimmering.

 

“Yes Gus and thank you from saving me from a bruise and a limp.” Justin gives him a big hug and wipes his eyes. “It’s your turn now. Just have fun with it, okay? Uncle Ted didn’t move out of the way quick enough. He’s fine, aren’t you Uncle Ted?”

 

“Yes Gus, I’m fine. Honestly Gussie, I’m just not good at sports and I wasn’t paying attention.”

 

“Are you sure?” Gus presses.

 

“Yes, I’m absolutely sure! I was looking at Uncle Blake and you know how pretty he is.” I feel my cheeks heat.

 

“Yes, he is pretty. Not as pretty as papa though!”

 

Michael and Raymond are trees in this last round and Michael gets Rebecca, Gus gets Raymond and Christopher has David.

 

“Okay now, three, two one, GO!” Carl yells and the screaming and shouting starts.

 

Poor Rebecca is swinging and missing every single time and getting frustrated. It’s not helping that Leda is being out-shouted. Debs walks up to her then pulls them to the side and says something to Rebecca. She looks at Leda and then at Debs and nods.

 

Leda rejoins Mel and Debs takes her place and they start again. Luckily, no piñatas have been broken yet.

 

“Ready sweetheart!” She calls out to Rebecca, who nods and turns to her side, gripping the bat hard. And then Debs lets out an ear piercing whistle surprising everyone, especially Michael who drops the piñata. Unfortunately, this means that there is nothing but air between him and the bat as it connects with all of Rebecca’s frustrated might...with his testicles!

 

Everyone goes quiet and at first, he doesn’t seem to react. Then there is a high pitched keening noise as he slowly starts to crumple to the ground. Which is again unfortunate, because Rebecca clearly thought that was the signal and swings again. This time it connects with the middle of his chest, causing him to jerk backwards. But when she hits him in the stomach, we come out of our collective trance and spring into action!

 

“STOP REBECCA STOP!” Debs yells and rushes to take the bat off her and I sprint to Michael’s aid.

 

He is lying with his knees up and his hands between his legs, presumably holding his testicles in the hope of stopping the pain radiating round his body. But judging by the Scream-esque expression on his face, this is not working!

 

“Michael! Can you speak?!” I demand and he gurgles his eyes bulging. “Can you sit up?” Frantic head shaking and more attempts to curl into a ball.

 

“M-maybe some ice?” Debs suggests, trying to subdue her laughter.

 

“Why is Michael on the ground and that funny colour?” Randolph asks, approaching. “What happened?”

 

“Rebecca happened.” I explain, holding onto my professionalism for dear life. “She connected with his nuts, chest and stomach.”

 

Randolph looks at me, then Michael and then me again. “You’re kidding?”

 

“No, I’m not.”

 

“Oh...ahem...ho-ho-how...excuse me a moment!” He strides away, howling with laughter, which of course starts everyone else off. Thankfully, Michael is in far too much pain to hear that!

 

“Come on, let’s at least get him in a lounger!” David orders, finally composing himself.

 

We carry him easily to the lounger and try to persuade him to straighten out but to no avail.

 

“Michael, for heaven sake, straighten up so they can check you!” Debs orders but again, he merely gurgles and rolls in tighter.

 

“Out of the way folks!” Veri yells as she and two waiters approach with the ice bath. “Sometimes you just have to replace one shock with another. Dump it!”

 

I watch in morbid horror as the bath is tipped over Michael and he screams like a banshee, but at least, he’s uncurled!

 

“Now Michael. Will you let me look at you?” I ask gently, I get no response as he’s fainted!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you.