- Text Size +

CHAPTER 67 - LEAVING THEM TO IT AND TIME IN THE SUN

 

OUTSIDE MICHAEL’S APARTMENT BUILDING - FRIDAY MORNING

 

DEBS

 

Carl went round yesterday and said there was nothing untoward when he saw me last night. There is another officer waiting for Veri and me because Carl had to force entry. I can see Veri and Franc coming towards me; I wasn't expecting Franc to be with her.

 

“Hey Debs.” Veri gives me a tight squeeze. “You ready?” I nod and we follow the officer up.

 

“Okay, I can't see anything amiss.” Veri calls from the bedroom.

 

I am looking around the lounge. Apart from a broken toy in the bin, there is nothing to say where he’s gone.

 

“Where is he?” I sigh worriedly.

 

“What is it with sons and their need to cause unnecessary concern?” Veri gives me another squeeze.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask as Franc opens up his laptop with her fingers crossed.

 

“Ray has applied for an emergency passport and is on his way back to Pittsburgh.”

 

“What for?” I ask and she shrugs then laughs as Franc punches the air.

 

“What?”

 

“No password.” She smirks. “Let's see here... Jeez, does he use this as a plate?” She grimaces at the keyboard and heads to the kitchen. “Well wherever he is, he went in a hurry…” Franc comes back from the kitchen with napkins. “Dishes in sink.”

 

I just shake my head. I have made it a choice not to visit this place because he is so messy and it is so cluttered! “How does he breathe in here?” I grumble.

 

“Debs, do you know where he keeps his passport?” Franc frowns.

 

“Yeah, why?”

 

“Can you see if it’s there? Looks like he booked a flight to New York, so it’s a starting point.”

 

I head to his bedroom and check. “Not here!” I shout out as I come back in. Veri is on the phone and Franc is still tapping away.

 

“Okay, thanks Josh.” Veri finishes her call and gives me a reassuring smile. “Josh, my father’s PI, is going to see what he can find out. He's gonna call back in a couple of hours.”

 

“Not that it’s not a joy to see you Franc but…”

 

“Business with Brian and need to grab the Golden Girls. Can't believe that grandpa has virtually moved in with George. Can you call Sophia and Blanche and ask them to pack a bag, just for a couple of nights?”

 

“What for?” I whisper to Veri as I put the call in.

 

“No idea, and it's driving me nuts that she's not telling!” She whispers back rolling her eyes.

 

“Hey Rodney, Franc’s here and wants you two to pack a bag for a couple of nights and...what, Franc? Okay. Once packed, make your way over to George's.”

 

“Mom, what do you think about renting out the apartment that grandpa is barely using?”

 

“Uh, okay it’s an idea. But why?”

 

“It would give them a bit more space…” She's still tapping away.

 

“Fran-ce-sca.” Veri growls and her head whips up. “You know I hate it when you multitask when talking to me.”

 

“Sorry mom. Right, I was thinking the place is sitting empty so why not let Hunter and Daph go there? It’s close to the orienteering centre and saves them a slog across town.”

 

“Oh, I think that’s a great idea!” I declare enthusiastically. As much as I love them, I would love to not have to share a bathroom with two teenagers! “Oh wait, how many rooms?”

 

“Two, well three but he’s using that as a walk in...found you, you fucker!” She exclaims. “Oh sorry Debs! He’s caused you un…”

 

“No problem. So where is he?”

 

“London.”

 

“You don't think he went for Ray for real, do you?” Veri gasps and I try not to be offended at the expression on her face at the thought. “It’s not that Debs but Phoebs caught the live show of them making out, all the way here to his apartment. She described it in intricate detail, how they...”

 

I put my hand up and nod queasily. “No! Please don’t share!”

 

“I wonder?” Franc again gets that thoughtful, but pissed, expression on her face before making a call. “Hey Phoebs, you recovered from the trauma?! Yeah, the eggs were binned the moment mom got off the phone. Listen, can we remote access Ray’s cell for his voicemail? We can! Can you do that for me, for say the last week and let me know if he got any messages from Michael? Great, how long do you reckon it would take? Oh great, speak soon.”

 

“Well?” I demand.

 

“If he’s called him, hopefully he would’ve left a message. If he has he might have…Hey Phoebs that was quick. Ah, he did, did he? Okay let me check on there!”

 

“Again what?” Veri takes the laptop out of her reach and Franc grins sheepishly.

 

“Ray gave him his business card. So I need to check our system as the message is saved on there even if Ray deletes it on his cell.” She gets up and closes the laptop down. “Okay, I’m done here. You ladies done, too?”

 

We both nod and the officer locks up. “He’s going to be pissed when he comes back and has to replace that door.” I snicker.

 

“Shouldn’t have been an asshole then, should he?” The officer mutters and we look at him in surprise. “I know Kiki. She was told by Manny what he did and she spread the word. The rest of the Avenue is equally pissed and proud.”

 

“Proud?” Veri asks and then smiles. “Ah, Brian?”

 

“Yeah.” He nods. “Well good morning ladies, have a good day. And when he gets back from where he is, give him a kick from me!”

 

“Will do!” I laugh.

 

“Okay, I’m going to round up the GGs, then head to Kinnetic and then meet you at the airport okay mom? Debs, try not to worry. Whatever puerility is being concocted between the two of them just leave them to it. I’ll let you know exactly what I know when I get on our system.”

 

“Okay honey.” I kiss her cheek and she swiftly hails a cab.

 

“Oh wait! Tell Hunter and Daph about the apartment too!”

 

“Okay!” I shout back.

 

“Oh, this is ridiculous!” Veri grumbles. “Dad, it’s me. Franc’s up to something and it’s driving us mad. Get it out of her please? Thanks! Had to send in the big gun!”

 

“Exactly and when you know tell me!” I tell her.

 

KINNETIC - TWO HOURS LATER

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

She learned from her grandfather’s knee! I stare at Franc in admiration. She could’ve taken the offer from Reinhard but instead she still wants to give me first refusal, but through just a transfer. She wants no money for them.

 

“So you both got your damages and you still have him by the balls. Excellent!” She chuckles as I hand the deed of transfer to an equally stunned Ted.

 

“Make the call to Vance and Reinhard to request a meeting.” I tell him and he gets that devil smile on his face as he heads to his office.

 

“Now before we do anything else, your mother has ordered me to find out what you are up to.”

 

“Wow, she gave up quicker than I thought!” She smirks and then twists her lip. “This involves you too in a way, Brian. I want to know how Debs would take it. We’ve got Ray’s house in Cali doing fuck all. Rodney has been saying he hates the winters in the Pitts, so I was wondering what you thought of the…”

 

“Get it done, you darling girl.” Randolph beams at her and I frown. “She’s going to suggest that Rodney and Vic take his house and they live out their years there and we’d have a base for visiting in the winter. Is that correct?”

 

“Pretty much it in a nutshell.” She sits back, regarding me carefully. “I think it would sound better coming from you…”

 

“Why?” Randolph and I ask at the same time.

 

“It just would.” She replies. “You’d sell her the idea better than me; Grandpa can work on Rodney. Once Debs is also on board, Vic would feel better about going because go he would, methinks.”

 

I nod, Vic would go in a heartbeat but there would be guilt at leaving Debs after all she’s done.

 

“Okay, once we get the yes from... which one is Rodney again?” I laugh.

 

“Sophia.” He chuckles.

 

“Yes from Sophia, let me know and I’ll speak to Debs.”

 

“Can I borrow an office with a laptop? Need to check our system to see what Ratfink Ray and Muttonhead Michael are up to!”

 

“What do you mean up to?” I ask. “I still can’t quite believe that Michael has obeyed my edict and stayed away from me! Haven’t seen or heard from him in days.”

 

“Neither has Debs and that’s because he’s in London. Ray is on his way back and we want to know why.”

 

“Oh well, whatever he’s doing is no concern of mine.” I am still smarting over how he did that to me and Randolph gives me a gentle smile.

 

“But forewarned is forearmed.” He replies.

 

“True. Go ask Eliza and she can get you set up.” She gets up with a grim expression. “If it’s anything to do with…”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Now onto happier things... Please, pretty please, can George and I be in the meeting with Vance and Reinhard?”

 

“Oh fuck yeah!” I laugh my mood brightening.

 

OUTSIDE US EMBASSY, LONDON

 

RAY

 

Passport is done. Michael seems to be constantly checking his phone. Curiosity is getting the better of me.

 

“Whose call are you waiting for?”

 

“Huh? Oh, my Ma. She said she would call. She will soon enough. So are we all set?” He asks as we head to the tube station. “You’ve not told me about what flights are you are taking or how you intend to handle this?”

 

“Well, I held some, but there was no point me confirming the flights until I got the passport. And as for what I’m going to do, that’s simple. I’m going to speak to Brian and let him know what…”

 

“No, I don’t think that you should do that. It will sound better coming from me. Then we can confront Justin together.”

 

“Fine. I want to get this sorted and move back to the US now that there is someone waiting for me.”

 

“I know the feeling.” He smiles. “But I will warn you that he will vehemently deny it, but you just have to keep going.”

 

“Oh don’t worry. Now that I know he wants me, I will make him mine. After all, I got David, didn’t I?”

 

We. Didn’t we?” I laugh.

 

SEABIRD LONDON HQ - AN HOUR LATER

 

RAY

 

Well that’s the flights booked. I feel rather smug having got one over my parents and grandfather! I used him as a reason to having to fly back. He’s at death’s door and I’m his only grandchild...well as far as I’m concerned, I should be!  Unbeknownst to them, I have a small apartment. Well not small exactly. It’s a 2 bedroom near the beach. But I was whisked away so fast, I couldn’t escape to it!

 

I’m still astounded that Justin feels this way. Apparently, he’s felt like this since I took up with Ethan. When Ethan was fired and removed from the ship, Justin was hoping to come to me then, but then dad removed me. He’s been watching their relationship quietly for a while now, but it wasn’t until after the party that he heard Justin confessing. And that was because he saw me with him when we were messing with David’s head.

 

The one thing I don’t get is why Michael wants to stay with me. You have a hotel room, stay your clingy ass there!

 

It’s not often I quote Franc but she does come out with some good zingers!

 

MICHAEL’S HOTEL ROOM - SAME TIME

 

MICHAEL

 

Right! I resist the urge to fist pump. Things are working out exactly how I planned it for a change! So Ray officially believes that Blond Ass is his forever love, just like I believe that of Brian and I...but at least mine is true! I just need enough doubt to be placed in Brian’s mind and we can go from there. But the next stage is to get Blond Ass alone and arrange a meeting so Ray can do what he needs to do.

 

The only thing that is really annoying me here is that he still won’t let me stay with him until he flies back on Tuesday! On top of that, before he went back to work, he said that he’s actually going to California first as he has a place there and then he’s coming to Pittsburgh. I’ve never been to California but he said no to me joining him there as well! I swear, he acts like I didn’t just do him a favour setting him up to have Blond Ass. Well no matter… he’ll owe me for this just as Brian will for getting rid of boytoy for him. I guess I can live with that for now.

 

KINNETIC - LATE EVENING

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

We get Franc to play the message again. Once she heard it, we got Debs, the Golden Girls, Mel and Veri to come over. Rupert and Markus are on the phone and nobody says a word for a while.

 

“What in fuck’s name is wrong with him?!” Rodney finally says.

 

“He wants Brian, plain and simple. Michael feels that he’s his due, his human trophy for stalking...I mean, uh, maintaining the friendship with Brian. Sorry, honey. I didn’t mean to talk as if you were a possession.” Debs sighs. “So, what do you want to do, kiddo?”

 

“Nothing.” I reply, loosening my hold on Justin’s hand when he winces. “Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.” He smiles and does something I sometimes do to Gus when he’s upset...he kisses my temple.

 

“Why nothing?” Vic asks. He looks so tired all of a sudden.

 

“Because we know it’s not true and now we know why Ray’s coming back.” I sigh and swallow hard. “Please forgive the question, but is Ray the kind of guy who takes no for an answer?”

 

“He’s too lazy to be violent, if that’s what you mean.” Veri scoffs. “But he will verbally push, just ask David. But that’s the beauty of blocking people on cell phones.”

 

“Are your numbers listed publically anywhere?” I ask him and the look of adoration on his face cheers me up a bit.

 

“No, we just have the email for Kids Club published.”

 

“So that’s the only way he can contact you.” Mel heaves a sigh of relief.

 

“Ah, he could go to the store. Michael knows I go there.” Justin’s face creases with worry.

 

“Fuck. And the details are on the website of all the classes, aren’t they?” He nods but then smiles at me.

 

“But I can do it remotely from here when I am going to be teaching, maybe?”

 

“Absolutely.” I rub my neck to ease the tension building. “And we will have him banned from here.”

 

“So we have a plan in place, right?” Debs stands and picks up a case and Franc stares at it and then me.

 

I chuckle. “I spoke to her about your Cali idea. So she’s going to check out her bedroom!”

 

“Fair enough!” She grins and then taps away on her laptop. “So we’re done here then? Josh, that’s the PI that grandpa uses, is going to send a guy to keep an eye at the airports.”

 

“Airports?”

 

“Yeah. While Muttonhead is going to come back here, Ratfink will either come here or go to his place in Cali.”

 

“What place in Cali? The house we’re going to?” Debs looks worried.

 

“No…” She goes quiet and types away.

 

“Fran-ce-sca!” Veri snaps.

 

“Sorry! Sorry! Was just checking that he still had it. Yeah, he has an apartment in Cali, just off the beach. Not only is he a ratfink, he’s also a braggart. He bigged it up to me once years ago and has clearly forgotten that he told me!”

 

“Send me the details, darling. Let’s see what we can do about that.” Rupert orders.

 

“Not much really….” She looks embarrassed. “I have to admit that in a fit of pique, I tried to sell it thinking it was Seabird connected but it’s all his.”

 

“Right, we’re definitely done here!” Randolph orders. “We’ve got flights to catch and you have bubbas to get home to. Now chop-chop!”

 

I hold onto Vic and Debs a little longer before they leave. Soon it’s just Justin and I in the conference room.

 

“Oh, I forgot to show you this before you left this morning.” Justin smiles and hands me a piece of paper with the recipe for cherry Bakewell sundae on it.

 

“Sounds calorific, Gus would be in heaven.”

 

“Oh, you don’t fancy it?”

 

“I’ll have a spoonful maybe.” I get up, hand it back to him and stretch. As he tickles my side, I squirm and smile tiredly.

 

“Oh, it’s just that I was thinking of wearing that and only that for dinner tomorrow. Since we have the house to ourselves, but if you’d rather wait for Gus...”

 

“We need to go shopping for the ingredients!” I order, hustling him out of the room laughing, all thoughts of Muttonhead forgotten!




















https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/desserts/item/cherry-bakewell-sundae

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thanks