- Text Size +

CHAPTER 77 - CAUGHT IN A TRAP

 

L’ART DE ANGELES GALLERY, LOS ANGELES - WEDNESDAY LUNCH TIME

 

LINDSAY

 

I stare at my phone and snort in disbelief. Michael has sent me a text, telling me that he and Brian are getting together finally!

 

“Lindsay! Can you please put your phone down and hang the Kaufman?!” Nardia’s shrill tones cut me to the quick. “And then go and do the cataloguing you should’ve done last week!”

 

“As I said Nardia, I was unwell last week…” I begin.

 

“How convenient. Kaufman and then cataloguing, now that you’re all better.” She smiles coldly.

 

An hour later, I am in the basement cursing her and my parents when my phone beeps again. Yet again, it’s Michael regaling me with his tales of patheticness. “Oh for goodness, let’s put an end to this nonsense!” I head to the stairs to check that nobody can hear me and call him. “Michael or should that be Mr Novotny-Kinney...how are you? How’s the weather in Narnia? Well that’s another fantasy land so naturally I thought you’d be there. No, of course I don’t believe you!” I listen to him prattle on about how Brian called him and told him to change blah-blah-blah. “Michael, I have to go and live in the real world now! Okay, if this is as true as you say it is, then you won’t have a problem with giving me this fabled number so I can check with Brian himself, will you? Ah, he told you not to give it out, did he? Of course, he did. Bye, Michael.”

 

Nardia hounded me all day and when the last person finally fucking left, I practically sprinted out!

 

LINDSAY’S APARTMENT

 

KITCHEN

 

I sigh as I look around my small apartment! The more I think about the call with Michael, the more it bothers me. I no longer have Brian or Mel’s numbers. Well I do, but I have been blocked, so I can’t check that way. It’s his insistence on it, and the fact he claims he sold some of his collectibles to get Prada shoes, now that is bugging me. I reach for the phone and send him a text, telling him that if Brian was wanting to be with him like he said, then he would give me Brian’s number. After all, I am hardly likely to change his mind, am I?

 

An hour later, I have the number, and am smirking as I place a call…

 

SCHICKEL RESIDENCE

 

DINING ROOM

 

GEORGE

 

They say that the youth make you feel younger. Well it is certainly true of these three! Nathan, Daph and Hunter have introduced us to so many things since they came into our lives. Dottie has given Daph, basically, his apartment as Hunter has all but moved in with Nathan! Now they have got the snacks for movie night.

 

“What are we watching?” Vic settles down.

 

“Not a movie this time. A TV series.” Daph grins. “This is The Big Bang Theory.”

 

Three episodes in, I am howling with laughter and Dottie is wiping his eyes. “What? What did we miss?!” Rodney demands, coming back with Vic and more snacks. “Daph, rewind please!”

 

“Wait a second!” Daph hits pause and grabs the prat-phone and shows it to me. “Whose number is this?!”

 

“No idea. Let it go to voicemail. You have set up a voicemail, right?” Vic asks.

 

“Yes.” Whoever it is takes an age to leave a message and then it pings. “Right, let’s see if he’s as stupid as we think.”

 

“Hi Brian, its Lindsay. Long time no speak, eh? Look, I don’t wish to alarm you but you need to speak to Michael because he’s been sending me texts, saying that you and he are going to be together. Now I’m not sure what he means by that because I assumed you and Justin are still together. So can you call me back and we’ll talk further? I’m a bit worried about Michael, his sanity most of all. Bye.”

 

We gape at each other before Vic starts to laugh. Followed by Rodney. Then the rest of us!

 

“Oh God! That is priceless! I’m a bit worried about Michael!” Nathan snorts. “So now what?”

 

“I call her back and confirm everything, right?” Daph has a gleam in her eye.

 

“Absolutely! What you got in mind?” Rodney grins.

 

“After what she did to my babyboy-husband, let me handle this!” She growls and after a few runs at getting the pitch right, she places the call. “Lindsay, its Brian. How the hell did you get this number?! Oh of course, he did! Look, I can’t speak long but...but everything he said is true. Lindsay, you know I don’t lie. I just want a combination of Michael and Justin, but with Michael’s history, he just needs a bit of polish. But as far as the Avenue needs to know, he’s still persona non-grata in my life and then of course, there’s Gus...Sorry what? You want to help? Of all the people I had down for helping me and Michael, it wasn’t you! Well come on, you’ve hardly been best buddies, since, well you know. Look, I can’t speak much longer. Justin will be back soon. You and Michael do what you need to do but you’ve only got until December. Well that’s when Justin and I get married, allegedly! Seriously, have to go!”

 

“What did she say?” Vic demands.

 

“She is going to get Michael to come to Los Angeles and be his Madam Doolittle!”

 

“Like I said, the boy is that fucking stupid!” Vic growls. “But enough of that, back to Sheldon!”

 

KINNETIC - THURSDAY MID-MORNING

 

CYNTHIA

 

“That’s it! You can barely stand upright!” I tell Brian as he sinks into the sofa in reception. How he made it through the meeting, I have no idea. “I am calling Justin!”

 

“No!” Comes the muffled shout from the sofa. “I told him I was fine and…”

 

“You were wrong!” I snap. “Justin, its Cyn. I’m sending him home! Okay, no problem. Hang on...Ted!”

 

Ted comes down the corridor, already putting on his jacket and carrying his briefcase and some papers. “Tell him no rush, I will stay until he gets back. I know he has a class today.”

 

I nod and between Ted and Rowan, they manage to get Brian out as gently as possible.

 

BRITIN - TWO HOURS LATER

 

TED

 

“Brian, stop being, a twat as you would say, and take the pills!” I am no longer intimidated by the malevolent stare of my best friend, and merely glare back. He pulled a muscle playing with Gus and is in agony.

 

“I hate you.” He mutters as he takes the pills and the water.

 

“I know. Tongue out.” I order and he obeys. “And up. And some more water, just in case.”

 

“I’ve taken them!” He bitches.

 

“Yeah, like you took them yesterday…” I arch a brow.

 

“Shut up!” He snorts and then grins. “Okay seriously, let’s get on.”

 

“Wait, how’s the bottle?” I ask.

 

“Ted.” He warns but…

 

“Let me refresh it, then we get on.” I tell him, reaching for the hot water bottle. “I saw that!”

 

“Shut up! Ouch!”

 

I chuckle as I head to the kitchen to refill his bottle and make him some coffee. Twenty minutes later, I’m back in the lounge and he’s lost the pinched expression. “Okay, so the Frierstorm meeting, he’s one of Vance’s clients, right?” He nods and starts to smile. “You really going to make me ask?”

 

“All yours.” He grins. “Take Cynthia with you.”

 

“Hey!” Justin comes in and kisses him, sweetly. “How you feeling? Has he taken his pills?”

 

“Yes I am and yes I have.” Brian rolls his eyes. “I am here, you know!”

 

“And on that note!” I laugh and give Justin a hug and cuff Brian’s shoulder and regret it when he winces. “Sorry Bri!”

 

“And you call yourself my best friend.” He grumbles.

 

“Later!” I yell as I head out.

 

“Later!” he shouts back.

 

JUSTIN

 

I am not happy! I shut the door behind him and stalk back into the lounge and am about to blast him, but he looks absolutely shattered! “Want me to set a bath? That might help instead of the showers you’ve been hauling yourself into.”

 

“Please.” He sighs, all signs of bravado gone. My man is in pain.

 

“Okay, give me these, no more work for you.” He doesn’t argue and allows me to take the papers from him. “Want a nap first?”

 

“Head in lap nap?” He looks so sweet.

 

“With hair stroking?” I ask and he nods. I help him to gently lower himself into a supine position and then rest his head in my lap. Ten minutes later, he’s asleep. With a bit of effort, I manage to reach my phone. “Hey David, its Justin. I’m good, but Brian’s not. He’s pulled a muscle really badly in his back. Do you know...oh great, see you in an hour! Oh wait, should I give him a bath first or after? Okay, after.”

 

THREE HOURS LATER

 

BRIAN

 

God, I didn’t think I would feel so happy to have some other guy’s hands on my body! I have no idea what David did, but I feel so much better!

 

“So what’s this?” I ask as Gus carefully carries in a plate. I can’t help but smile as he sticks his tongue out as he is concentrating so hard. He beams as he places it down in my lap with no spills.

 

“Tuna tata with sesame and ginger. Now would sir require crisp bread or lettuce?”

 

“Crisp bread please.”

 

“Okay! Will be quick as papa said you have been silly and powering through when you should be shutting down...you know like Optimus Prime?”

 

“Yes, daddy was very silly.” Mel admonishes me. “Gus, I’ve got the bread. You go with momma and have a shower. But be back down for main course, okay?”

 

“Yes mommy!” He yells and then runs out, calling for Leda.

 

“Now shall I feed you?” Mel drawls, dipping into the tartare despite my warning look, especially as she feeds herself! “Oh, you should see your face!” She giggles but then sobers before sitting back. “You are an idiot Kinney, but we love you!” She drops a kiss on my head and goes back to the kitchen.

 

I snug...settle back into the cushions and wait for the next course. Which is rice with mushrooms and garlic that Gus and I share. “Daddy, this is so good! Can I take some for Chandra for lunch tomorrow?” I look across at Justin and he smiles and I nod. “Yay! Now daddy…” He gives me his serious look. “I am going to Momma’s with mommy and Ruby tonight, so you must do as papa says, as I won't be here to make sure. You promise?”

 

“I promise.”

 

“Pinky shake?”

 

“Pinky shake.” I hold out said pinky and he curls his smaller one round mine and we shake three times.

 

Twenty minutes later, after kissing both Ruby and Gus goodbye, they are gone.

 

“Want sorbet?”

 

“Which is it?” I ask from his lap.

 

“Blood orange.” He replies, stroking his fingers through my hair and I shake my head as I get comfy. “Brian, please…”

 

“I will work from home for the rest of the week and will rest over the weekend.”

 

“Thank you. And I might do the same thing…”

 

“You had better!” I growl, staring up at him. “You need to test the efficacy of whatever David did!”

 

“Look forward to it. So One Eyed Jacks or Rebel without…”

 

“Rebel, please.” I sigh and pull the blanket further up my chest and reach for his hand.

 

“Thought so. Ready?”

 

I nod but didn’t last passed the first 10 minutes.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tuna_tartare_with_chilli_29432

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45784/mushroom-rice/

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/blood-orange-recipe-mousse-sorbet

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks