- Text Size +

CHAPTER 22 - YOU MESSED WITH MY FRIENDS…SO I MESS WITH YOU

 

LIBERTY AVENUE HOTEL - AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

I have finally managed to get hold of Sam and he has wired me some money then he amended my ticket.  I have been thinking back to my humiliating time a couple of days ago and I take up the phone.

 

“Yes, I wonder if you can help me. I want to report an assault. My name is Lindsay Peterson. I don't know the full name of the assailant but I can get it. Right I'll be down shortly. Precinct 57, correct? Thank you and who should I ask for? Thanks again.”

 

I smile to myself and try to figure out how to find out where that bitch is and her last name.

 

57TH PRECINCT - AN HOUR LATER

 

DESK SERGEANT

 

I look at this teary blonde and wonder what the hell she expects me to do about this.

 

“As I said previously, ma’am and please let me finish this time... Without a full name, I can't have her arrested. Yes, I know you have given me a description…” I hold my hand up before she tells me that again.  “The arrest warrant needs a first and last name of the assailant.”

 

“He knows her!” She cries out. “He went in the house!”

 

“Detective Horvath, a moment please!”

 

“What can I do for you, sergeant?” He listens as we both explain the situation with her getting increasingly shrill. “Right I will deal with this.  Ms Peterson, with me please.”

 

I make a mental note to buy him a shitload of donuts!

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 2

 

CARL

 

I signal for the taping to start.

 

“Have a seat. Would you like a coffee or something?”

 

“No, I want that bitch arrested immediately!”

 

“Before we go down that route, were there witnesses to this assault?”

 

“A friend of mine and a neighbour.”

 

“You claim this happened a couple of days ago. Why have you just reported it?”

 

“I was traumatised and have only just recovered.”  

 

I nod and lean back in my chair. “Okay. I will have her brought to the station and get her version of events. Can I have the name of the witness and where it took place?”

 

When she tells me it is Emmett and it happened at Mel’s house, I just shake my head.

 

“Ms Peterson, I have to stop you there. I was at the location on that day and there was no assault. According to friends of Ms Marcus, you were advised not to attend the property. Why did you do so?”

 

“Pardon?” She looks flustered.

 

“You were advised not to attend the property, were you not?” I ask her again.

 

“I can see my partner whenever I want!” Her tone is brittle and entitled.

 

“But she’s no longer your partner, I understand.  And hasn’t been for almost two years.”

 

“I was confused but now that I see clearly, I want to…”

 

“Where did you go after the alleged assault and how did you get there?” I watch her carefully.

 

“I went back to my parents’ house and I took a cab.” She replies.

 

“Why not report it immediately? In fact, you went to a business location called Kinnetic after going to your parents’ house, which is another place you were asked not to attend. I believe you were escorted from the building?”

 

“Well, it’s clear who you are in cahoots with! I want to speak to your superiors!”

 

“Of course.” I stand up and smile at her. “Interview terminated at 1532. Now if you bear with me Ms Peterson, I need to get some other things. I will be as quick as I can. You do wish to make a formal complaint about my being in cahoots, is that correct?”

 

“Interview?” She repeats, frowning.

 

“Yes, as I said to you. You were making a statement and all statements have to be recorded.  Now about the complaint about me, I will need to get some other paperwork for you to complete before a meeting can be arranged.”

 

She goes quiet. “And how long will that take?”

 

“The paperwork completion is down to you but a meeting for a complaint of this magnitude should be arranged quite quickly.” I reply, managing to keep the smirk off my face.

 

“It’s just that I have to leave the country in a couple of weeks…”

 

“And when will you be back?” I ask adopting a thoughtful expression.

 

“I’m not sure.” She replies.

 

“Well let me get the paperwork. I won’t be long.” I nod at her and head out.

 

MEL & GUS’S HOUSE

 

MEL’S BEDROOM

 

FRANC

 

I am so looking forward to this! Nobody deserves this more than Mel and Gus. And I have an idea.

 

“Emmy!  You got a second?”

 

“Sure sweetie, what’s up?” He comes in with a pile of swatches in his hand.

 

“What do you think of asking Justin to help, especially in Gus’s room?” He tilts his head and grins at me. “Okay, let’s get Gus to ask, yeah?”  His grin gets wider.

 

“Hello!” I look at Emmy and he shrugs. “This is the police!”

 

Immediately, we panic and rush downstairs. “What’s happened?!”  Emmy demands.

 

“Are you Franc?”  He shakes his head and points at me.

 

“You…you’re Franc?” He’s looking at me strangely. “I’m Officer Deacon and I have been sent by Det. Horvath to take you to the 57th…wait, where do I know you from?”

 

“No idea. Now, what’s this bullshit about?!” I know I should keep a civil tongue but I don’t respond well to police turning up unannounced.

 

“Wow. Me, the police officer who can…holy fuck Francesca!” He shouts and I stiffen.

 

“There is only one guy who called me that. I very firmly, but not so politely, explained to him that my name is Franc, with a ‘c’ not a ‘k’ and if he were  to call me that name again, I would throw him off the fucking ship with the anchor shoved up his ass.”

 

“So this is the guy.” Emmy chuckles. “Now come-come, what is this about? I mean, the official business not the want to get in your pants business.

 

“Um, uh, a Lindsay Peterson has made a complaint about you for assault.” Officer Deacon continues going an adorable shade of pink. Wait…adorable?!

 

“Did she call from her hospital bed?” Emmy asks tightly.

 

“Uh, no sir.”  He replies.

 

“Then clearly no assault took place. You’ve experienced her temper, after all. If Lindsay is referring to her getting drenched with water when we were steam stripping the house then that was a pure accident. I will write a statement to that effect.” Emmy declares. “And if she is going to the station with you, I’m going with her.”

 

As we get outside and lock up, Marie comes out. “Is everything okay? Nobody’s hurt?”

 

“No, just Lindsay causing problems...again.”  Emmy sighs.

 

“Lindsay? Mel’s ex?” She puts out a forestalling hand. “Is this about the water or the time before when she was here?”

 

“Excuse me ma’am, she was here before?” Officer Deacon asks.

 

“Oh yes! I had forgotten about that!” Emmy exclaims. “Marie sweetie, can you come with?”

 

“Absolutely, let me get my things, 5 minutes!”

 

OFFICER DEACON

 

Christ!  I haven’t seen Franc with a ‘c’ for years. I first encountered her about 3 years ago on a cruise with my brother and all I thought was bitchy bulldyke! But the more I watched her with the people onboard, the more I thought wow she’s just really fiercely proud and will stand up for herself. It does help that she cooks like that. I can still taste those wings…nothing has come close. As we head to the car, it suddenly hits me what her friend said. Could I have got the bulldyke bit wrong?

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

TED

 

I am going to enjoy this. He’s had this coming for a long time!

 

As I enter the place, all I can think is how dusty it is. “Ah, Ted the snake!”

 

“Michael the infant.” I retort and make great play of placing some newspaper on the counter and then putting my case on top. “Explain to me, exactly, how I’m a snake? I mean you’ve displayed your infantile behaviour time and time again.”

 

“How are you a snake? How are you a snake?! You let me walk into that!”

 

“You walked into a trap of your own making.” I rebuke him. “Now down to business, where’s Nathan?”

 

“On holiday and what business could I have with you?”  He sneers.

 

“Ah that explains the dust. As for business, personally? Thankfully nothing but I am here as a representative of Kinnetic, which means I have to deal with you. Now as you know, Brian has helped you with your store for many years…”

 

“Yes, as he should after…”

 

“Good. Well it has been running at a loss long enough. We will be bringing in another manager to work alongside you in the store to bring it into profit…”

 

“What?!” I had anticipated the shriek/whine thing but the volume was a lot higher than I thought. “What manager? I can manage my own store!”

 

“Clearly not, because I said previously, it was running at a loss for years.  Brian doesn’t like to lose, as you well know. However, during your absence, there was a significant uptake in profits. So we’re promoting Nathan to joint manager. He had some great ideas, which apparently he suggested to you and you ignored…”

 

“You can’t promote Nathan! This is my store and…”

 

“No, this store belongs to Kinnetic!” I exclaim. “Remember that you had the store put under the company’s name? At first, I thought it was an astute business decision and was pleased.  But the more I think about it, the more I realise it was a selfish business decision. You have been coasting for years knowing that Brian would not fire you or sell the store. So this is the next best thing. Now that you have been advised of the decision, I would leave it to you to tell Nathan but I don’t trust you after what you did. So I will email Nathan when I return to the office and copy you in. Good day to you or not, judging by the expression on your face.”

 

I head to the diner, calling Debs on the way. He must still be in shock as I get through to her immediately!

 

57TH PRECINCT

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 2

 

LINDSAY

 

This is ridiculous! I have been waiting for ages! Finally, he comes back in. “We’ve picked her up.” He tells me and I smile inside but nod with tears shimmering on the outside. “So we’re done for now as she needs to make her statement.”

 

“Will I have to see her?” I sniff.

 

“No, she and the other witnesses will be in another room. However, you can watch their interview from here. This might take some time because as well as her, we’re waiting for Eliza Lewis and Lynette Williams to come in to make their statements as well…”

 

“Wait, what?!” I frown. “You said Lynnette Williams? What do you need a statement from her for? And who is Eliza Lewis?”

 

“I understand she was present at your parents’ house when you returned and Eliza Lewis is the receptionist at Kinnetic. So, we obviously need to take a statement from them as to your behaviour at the time, don’t we?” There’s a knock at the door and he stands up. “If you could turn to face this wall, they are next door but they can’t see you. I believe the first person to make the statement with regards to your first visit is Marie Benencourt, who is the neighbour of Ms Marcus.”

 

I swallow hard and watch her come in. Twenty minutes later, I’m bright red and shifting uncomfortably as she goes into explicit detail about both our encounters. When Emmett comes in to make his statement, I am screaming on the inside as he makes me sound like a cold, indifferent bitch. When it comes to the assault on me, he actually laughs for a few minutes and then tells them how he put me in a cab.

 

Then Lynette tells about how I was more concerned with the house being sold than anything else. Then when the fucking receptionist comes in, she makes mention of how I acted within Kinnetic and how Brian threw me out.

 

“So Miss Peterson, do we need to take any more statements?” Det. Horvath looks over his glasses at me. “Or will you withdraw this and the other complaint, so we don’t charge you with wasting police time? The official name of it is Attempting to File a False Statement and is subject to jail time and a hefty fine. But which one or both, depends on the severity of the case and which judge you get.”

 

I look at the papers in front of me, detailing everything I had mentioned in my interview. I know I need to change my tune but I can’t let him think he’s gotten the final word about this! “I shall be going now. Thank you so much for your help. So good to know that our police service is doing such an upstanding job!” I sneer.

 

“We do an upstanding job for upstanding people. Now if you could follow this officer, he will lead you to where you need to be...”

 

“Where I need to be?”  I glare at him.

 

“Lindsay Peterson, I am arresting you for wasting police time. You have the right to remain silent…”

 

The right to remain silent… now he offers it to me! Fuck!

 

CARL

 

I head out and leave him to do what he needs to do and make my way to my office where Franc is waiting.

 

“So what’s happening?” She asks, barely keeping hold of her temper.

 

“First, you are going to keep calm.” She takes a couple of breaths. “Secondly, she talked herself into a night in the cell to reflect on her behaviour and you are free to go, not that you were ever in trouble in the first place.”

 

Finally, she gives me a smile. “Thanks Carl. And sorry. I just can’t be dealing with shit like this. I have better things to do, like throw a baby shower and…you never heard that!” She hangs her head and peeks at me through her lashes.

 

“When is it so that I can make myself available?” I chuckle.

 

“Need to speak to Emmy and get back to you. But right now, I have to go back and sort out their house.”

 

“I can take her back Det. Horvath.” Officer Deacon suggests and I nod.

 

OFFICER DEACON – 30 MINUTES LATER

 

I take another look across at her. We’re on our own in the car as Emmett insisted on travelling with the neighbour after they watched Lindsay be escorted to the cells!

 

“What’s so interesting?” She asks bluntly.

 

“You’ve got that coming to the point thing down pat, haven’t you?” I shake my head as I take the turning. “I just want to ask you something but I’m not sure if I’ve read the situation right.”

 

She cocks her head and smirks. “Remember your trip?” I nod. “Do you remember any of the wings at all?”

 

I nod. “Nothing has come close to them, especially the cherry pop ones.”  I laugh.

 

“Good, they are on our secret menu. And that secret menu is only on the main ship.”

 

I pull up outside the house and she gets out. “And the only people who know about the secret menu is me, Justin and Ben. And the only time they are cooked is if they want to impress. It took me a week to get them perfect before I served them to you.”

 

“You did?” I’m stunned.

 

“I’m not a bulldyke. A bitch, yes but bulldyke in any form, no.”

 

“Good to know.” I grin at her. “So we’re going on a date, then?”

 

“Nope. You need to ask better than that, Officer Markus Deacon.”

 

“I’ll work on that Francesca!” I call out to her when she freezes then walks back to the car. I think I might have pushed it too far.

 

She leans into the window. “You do know I own the anchor and I can get it any time?”

 

“I do now Franc with a C, but I like messing with you.”

 

“Good to know.” She smirks. “I’ll call you.” She turns and walks away.

 

“But you don’t have my number!” I call out.

 

“Has it changed since you were on the cruise?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then I have your number. See ya.”

 

I can’t help the grin on my face when my cell goes an hour later and it’s a text from Franc with a C!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.