- Text Size +

CHAPTER 27 - SAM’S BACK AND RAY FAILS TO FOLLOW THROUGH AND READ

 

BRITIN - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

She truly is the most beautiful baby. She has Brian’s mouth and they reckon her eyes will be green too. It’s very early in the morning and although Rhubarb and Custard have kept their distance, they don’t seem too put out. I can’t wait to introduce them to her properly but she needs to be a bit stronger.

 

“Morning Papa Justin.” I smile at Brian. “Your first feed?” I nod. “Wait, let me get my camera.”  He trots out and is back quickly but also with Mel.  

 

“Oh.” I sigh quietly. “Can I hold her until you feed her?”

 

“No…” She peeks at Ruby. “You carry on. I fully intend to take advantage of the help from her daddies and extended family.”

 

“Great. I think it’s perfect.” My heart almost bursts when Brian tests it after me. “I’m going to go into the lounge. Can you give me the blanket, please?”

 

When I get settled, Ruby latches on hungrily and I soothe her when she’s finished. “You are so good with her.” Brian whispers quietly and slips behind me.  

 

“I looked after Molly, my little sister. We’ve got a big gap between us.” He wraps his arms around the pair of us and I snuggle back with a sigh. “So happy.”  I murmur.

 

“Me too.”

 

PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - MID MORNING

 

ARRIVALS

 

LINDSAY

 

I have been scanning faces for Sam. His lawyer’s PA finally called me back and arranged an appointment for Thursday. I can’t wait to see him! After our last slightly frosty conversation, I feel we need to reconnect.

 

“Sam!” I call out waving and he kisses me on the cheek. The cheek!  “Is everything okay?”

 

“Yeah. I could just have done without being here. But before you say anything, I understand why. Can we just get to the hotel so I can catch up on some sleep?”

 

“Sure. Is that all your bags?”

 

“Yes I have to go back on Saturday.  Please Lindsay, I am too tired to argue.”

 

I hold up a placating hand and we head to the car. When he gets to it, he just shakes his head. “You hired this?”

 

“What’s wrong with a Mercedes coupe?”  I ask as he puts his bags in the back.

 

“Hardly child friendly, is it?  What high class establishment are we staying in?”

 

“I’m, I mean we, are at the Liberty Avenue hotel…”

 

“As in the heart of Gay PA? Why are we staying there?”

 

“It’s close to where Mel lives.” I explain as I navigate my way out.

 

“Have you seen her?” His voice is edged with suspicion.

 

“Just the once and she wasn’t very friendly. But like I said to you on the call, she’s been avoiding me…”

 

“Can we discuss this when I am more awake?” He closes his eyes, puts on his shades and rests his head against the headrest.

 

I hope you are in a better mood when you are!  

 

SEABIRD HEADQUARTERS, CALIFORNIA

 

RUPERT’S OFFICE

 

RUPERT

 

Veri and I exchange looks before turning back to Ray. “You only had to do one thing.  And you didn't do it!” I snap tersely. “You need to explain why not and it had better not involve Ethan Gold.”  Silence.  “For some reason, you are in his dubious thrall. Now explain quickly!”

 

Ray remains silent but then Veri throws her pen on the table.  “So you did this deliberately, did you? For what gain?”  

 

His head shoots up. “I forgot, that’s all! Dad I’m sorry, is there…?”

 

“You’ve done, actually not done enough! How could you be so fucking stupid, boy?!” Veri snarls.

 

“I’m not a boy!” He shouts back, going red as he hates it when she calls him that!

 

“Yes you are!  Because if you were a man, you’d have done what you were supposed to do!”  She picks up her pen. “Rupert, I think it’s time for me to join the board as I would've caught this.”

 

“Now just a minute! This company belongs to my father and me! Dad tell her!”

 

I look between my wife and my son. They are both right, but he’s less right than she is.

 

“Veri, I understand what you are saying and I think you are right. You would've caught this.  Quiet Raymond! You assured me that VanGuard was taken care of. Remember you said so during our call last week?” He blushes, no doubt in recollection. “Your lack of business sense by giving your peccadillo your code is another case in point. I said quiet!” He goes an unattractive shade of green as he realises I’m serious.

 

“Dad! Give me another chance! Let me call Vance now and let him know!”

 

“Oh, for fuck sake! Why do you think you’re here, boy? He knows! The Kinnetic ads ran on select TV spots, magazines like GA, Esquire, Men’s Health…all this week!”

 

“This week?” He repeats weakly.  

 

“Yes, I terminated his contract for you but he could still cause reputational damage. Pray he doesn't because I will sic Franc on you. And you’re already in her good books, aren't you?!”

 

“So what happens now?” Veri demands. She has no truck with Ray’s laziness.

 

“I take steps to remove Ray from the board and…”

 

“Remove?!  I thought that you were just adding Veri?”

 

“That got your attention, didn’t it?!  What I don’t understand is why you can’t…”

 

“Oh let’s hear it for the golden girl, who worked her way up in the company because she didn’t want to have it handed to her. Why work when you don’t have to?!” The moment the words are out of his mouth, he realises his mistake. “Uh, I mean, no let me rephrase…”

 

“Ah there’s the true you. And the only disappointing thing is that I’m not surprised to hear those words from your mouth.”

 

He sits back pouting but then leans forward. “You need approval from grandfather and he won’t give you that!” He smiles. “I’m his only grandson, after all.”

 

“Don’t try to play that card!” My father calls out, startling both Veri and Ray. “You can turn the screen on now Rupert.” Ray’s face drains of all colour as his grandfather and supposed champion comes into view. “Shame on you Ray! Since you don’t want to work, you can have your inheritance now, in cash, and go live your playboy life. But hear this, if you accept this now, then that’s it. You will sign a document, renouncing any future claims on all company and family assets and be removed immediately from the board. But if you want to remain and prove yourself, you can remain on the board. But your shareholding will be reduced to 20% to reflect your new junior status.”

 

Ray glares at Veri as if it is her fault but this has been a long time coming. “Would you like to think about this a bit more before you make such a life changing decision?” She asks him.

 

“No, I’m done! Prepare what I need to sign and I shall go lead the life I want. You’ll see that this company won’t make it without me!” He snaps, standing up quickly and going to walk out.

 

“Raymond, wait a moment.” He turns back and looks at me as if to say I knew you’d cave. “I have the papers already prepared. You can sign them now and then leave.”

 

He stalks back to the table and checks over the important things to him. Then he signs, and after casting one last nasty look at Veri, he sweeps out.

 

I nod at the security guard waiting outside and he follows him to his office.

 

RAYMOND

 

“Can I help you?”  I demand.

 

“I’m here to make sure you don’t take anything that doesn’t belong to you.”

 

“Oh for goodness sake, there is nothing in there that I would want!” I storm to my office only to find a chap I vaguely recognise from IT at my desk. “What are you doing?”

 

“Locking you out of the system. All done. You can’t use your office phone as that was connected to your computer. Your business cell has already been disabled. Did you use your personal cell to conduct any Seabird business?”

 

“Sometimes…”  I mentally kick myself.

 

“May I have it, please?”  

 

“No!  I have other personal emails on there!”

 

“That’s your choice. Can you sign this to say you have retained it and understand the consequences of that action, please?”

 

I scrawl on the paper and take one last look around my office. There is nothing I want here; what I want is waiting for me at home.  

 

As I get into my car, I try to call Ethan but can’t get a signal. Shrugging, I pull out into the sunshine and redial. I almost run into the back of the car in front of me when I hear the message: This phone has been disabled and you can no longer receive or make calls.  Please hang up.”

 

I pull over and try again and get the same message. “Fucking ridiculous!” I roar and head straight home. Twenty minutes later, I call my father. “What the hell is the meaning of disabling my cell?!”

 

Dad’s tired sigh reverberates around the room. “And you say that Seabird can’t run without you? You didn’t read the document you signed before you left, did you? To save you bothering, it says that the phone is disabled and all emails will be retained by Seabird…”

 

“But I have personal emails on there!”

 

“And you had the opportunity to work with IT to salvage them. You chose not to take that opportunity. Now I want you and your peccadillo out of the house by the end of the day.”

 

“What are you talking about dad?!”

 

“Again, you just focused on the one thing you want to see. You have received your inheritance in cash. This means you have to find somewhere to live. Everything that is non-cash belongs to Seabird...the houses, the cars, the contents of the houses is Seabird’s.”

 

“Did Veri talk you into this?!”

 

“No and stop blaming Veri or Franc for your mess ups!  Now I have a meeting. Go enjoy your life, Ray.”

 

I slam the phone down and call out to Ethan. I can hear music but he doesn’t answer.  When I check the bedrooms, he’s not there. Then I realise that the music is coming from the bathroom.  

 

“Ethan!” I call out, knocking hard on the door.  He still doesn’t answer so I open the door and he looks sheepishly at me. “What are you doing?”

 

“You’re back! I was practicing my violin.” He places it reverentially under his arm, gives me a kiss and ushers me out of the bathroom. “So how was your meeting with your dad?”

 

“In the bathroom?  Naked?” I frown.

 

“What?” He giggles.

 

“You are in the bathroom naked, playing your violin. Why would you do that?” His quirkiness is sometimes baffling to me.

 

“I just did.  Now your meeting with your dad.  Everything go okay?”

 

“Yes and no. Yes, because I got my inheritance early but also no, because I got my inheritance early.”

 

“You’re confusing me.” He replies, sadly getting dressed. “You getting your inheritance early can only be a good thing, right?”

 

“I suppose and we can live our lives without constant denigration.” I grin at him. “Want to see how much I got?”

 

“Of course!”

 

“Oh but it’s in cash. Everything non-cash belongs to Seabird and they are coming to take it away from us. But don’t worry…” I rub his arm soothingly. “I have plenty of money to buy whatever we want, wherever we want. Paperwork is downstairs.”

 

As we head downstairs, I’m surprised to find people milling about. “Excuse me, just what the hell is going on here?!”

 

“Ah Mr Charles-Prince, remember me?” A woman approaches and I shake my head. “Of course you don’t since I don’t have a cock.” She sneers. “I’m Phoebe Hall and I handle all the estate matters for Seabird. I’m here to evict you.”

 

“Evict?” Ethan echoes. “Ray, are you sure everything is going to be okay?”

 

“Yes. It’s nothing; these things are easily replaced.” I turn to Phoebe. “Go do my father’s bidding…”

 

“This will involve you being out of the house with just your clothes and personal effects.  Pretty much immediately. Anything left in the premises will be considered property of Seabird and the house will be secured.  These gentlemen will accompany you all the way…”

 

“Ray, are you kidding me?! Is this shit correct?!” Ethan whispers harshly, pulling me to one side.

 

“Yes, of course. Why?” I feel angered that he has taken this tone with me. His knuckles are white where they are clutching the document.

 

“Your inheritance is $6 million. That’s not the impression you gave me...”

 

“It’s per year, Ethan.”  

 

“No, it’s $6 million and that’s it.  This house is worth more than that!  

 

I pull the document out of his hand and read it again. I can’t believe it but he’s right. Six fucking million dollars and that’s it!  Are you fucking kidding?!  

 

“Excuse me, Ray.”  Ethan snaps and stalks passed me to go upstairs.  

 

“Mr Charles-Prince? You need to collect your things.” Phoebe repeats and mutely, I follow her to the lounge.

 

An hour later, Ethan comes into the study... with his duffel bag and violin case. “Shit you’re in here.” He mutters.

 

“Ethan?”

 

“I was going to leave you a note since the phone doesn’t seem to be working anymore.  Bye Ray…”

 

“Bye? What do you mean bye?” I stammer, thankful that we are alone.

 

“You can’t offer me the life I want anymore. So I’m going to France where a friend can. He’s already sent me a ticket. It’s a good job you put the Porsche in my name or I wouldn’t have a ride to the dealership.”

 

“Dealership?”

 

“Yeah, I’m selling it back to them so I’ve got some travelling money.” He laughs coldly. “I have to say that while I hate your step-sister, she’s an excellent judge of character. She had me nailed right. And she would never have signed that!”

 

He laughs heartily as he strides out, twirling the keys in his hand.

 

Four hours later, I’m sitting in a hotel room wondering how I can get revenge. I pick up the phone and decide to ring Gardner Vance.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks