- Text Size +

CHAPTER 4 – CAPTAIN OH MY CAPTAIN!

 

DAY 6 – LATE AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m so tired!  We’ve been up and down this fucking slide for the last hour.  Ma has been sitting by the side of the pool like the queen of fucking Sheba, of course.

 

“Michael, can you look after Gus for a second?”  Mel asks and I frown.  “I need the bathroom.”

 

“Yeah, yeah.”  I sigh and then grab Gus.

 

“Gus.  We’re going to sit down for a minute.”

 

“But Unca Mikey, I wanna go on the slide again.”

 

“Gus, remember what we talked about?”  I remind him quietly.

 

“But I can’t call you papa when you’re not my papa.”  He looks at me with Brian’s eyes.

 

I grind my teeth a bit.  “But I’m your daddy’s best friend.”

 

“But not my papa!”  He tells me then goes and sits with Ma.

 

“No, not yet.”  I mutter.

 

Ten minutes later, I’m being shaken awake.  “Michael, where’s Gus?”  Mel asks.

 

“With Ma.”  I mumble and close my eyes again.

 

“No he’s not!  Debs!  Where’s Gus?!”  Mel shouts across to her and I open my eyes to see Ma coming back to her lounger.

 

“He’s with Michael.”  She replies, coming back to sit down.  “I watched him go to him before I went for a…oh fuck!”

 

And of course Uncle Vic and Emmett also take that moment to come back!

 

“What’s going on?”  Uncle Vic asks.

 

“Gus is missing!”  Mel screams, looking around frantically.

 

“Sweetie.  Look there’s Franc, let me go get her!”  Emmett tells her and sprints around the pool.

 

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen Emmett run like that.”  I chuckle earning a glower from Ma.

 

“Hey guys!”  Leda comes up to us holding Gus!

 

“Oh Gus, where have you been?!”  Mel snivels.

 

“Momma you ‘kay?”  Gus squirms down and hugs Mel round her knees.  “I told Unca Mikey that I was going to see her.  I did told him.”

 

“Come on sweetie.  Let’s get you and Momma back to your suite.”  Leda puts her arm around her shoulders and takes Gus’s hand and they walk away.

 

“You found him! Oh thank God!”  Emmett cries as he joins us again this time, I assume, with Franc.

 

“We can stand down the alert?”  She asks and Ma nods. “Okay.  Fine.  So who took the band off?”

 

“Band?”  Uncle Vic asks.

 

“Yes.  Every kid when they…”  She trails off and then her face contorts with anger.  “I’m going to kill him!”  She snarls and stalks off.

 

“Honey wait!”  Ma calls following her quickly.  “We need you to work here!  Let me do the killing!”

 

I turn back to face Uncle Vic and Emmett and they are giving me filthy looks.

 

“I’m going to see how Mel is.  Being that stressed so quickly can’t be good.”  Emmett snipes and walks off, Uncle Vic follows him without a word.

 

STEWARD’S OFFICE

 

ETHAN

 

I love this boat…sorry ship.  I’m still trying to work a way to get a one-on-one moment with the gorgeous Mr Kinney.  He’s been seen round the bars and rumour has it he’s blessed!

 

The door flies open and an incandescent Franc is glaring at me.

 

“Where is Gus Kinney?!”  She yells at me.

 

“How would I know?  With his dad or momma I guess.”  I shrug.

 

“Let me see the dot.”  She orders.

 

“Dot?  What’s the dot?”  A breathless redhead asks, sinking into a chair.

 

“One minute Debs.”  She tells her before turning back to me.  “The dot Ethan!”

 

“Fine.”  I grumble and pull up the screen and my gut hits the floor.

 

“So according to this, you have a four year old in your desk drawer?”  She snarls.  “Give it to me you moron!”

 

“Hello?”  We all turn to the voice at the door.  “My name is Carl Horvath, I’m a Detective.”  He flashes his badge.  “I heard that a kid was missing can I help?”

 

“Hey Carl.  Thanks for the offer but he’s been found. He was a few loungers down but someone…”  She glares at me.  “Didn’t follow procedure when he was boarded but it’s all sorted out now.”

 

“Good I’m glad.  Well, I’ll leave you to it then.”

 

“Thanks Carl.”  She smiles at him as he walks away.

 

I hand over the band and go to speak.

 

“Not one word.  You will be written up!  It’s the first rule for fuck sake!  Think kids not cock!”

 

She goes to help the redhead up and slams the door hard behind her.

 

Fuck!

 

MEL’S SUITE

 

MEL

 

The hammering on the door signifies that Brian has heard.

 

“Gus go open the door for daddy.”

 

He looks so worried but does as he’s told.

 

“Hey Sonny Boy.  You okay?”

 

“Yes daddy.  I did told Unca Mikey, I did.”

 

“It’s okay Gus, you’re not in trouble; it’s fine.  Mel, you okay?”

 

“Yeah just a little scared for a bit.”  I smile at him and sigh happily as Leda and Emmett apply cooling clothes to my forehead and back of my neck.

 

“You going to be okay for dinner tonight?”

 

“It’s dinner with the captain, isn’t it daddy?”  Gus smiles.

 

“Yes it is.”

 

“Honestly, I don’t think I’m up for it.  I just want to sleep.  I’m so tired.” I tell him.

 

“Daddy, I don’t want to go without momma.”  Gus tells him, his eyes filling with tears.

 

“Gus, it’s only the first dinner with the captain. There will be more.  I’ll be there for the next one.”

 

“And I can stay with her to keep an eye until you guys come back.”  Leda offers much to my surprise.

 

“Well?”  Emmett looks at me.  “What’s it going to be?”  He smirks knowingly.

 

“Shut up and go enjoy dinner!”  I grouse.

 

“Are you two absolutely sure?”  Brian asks.

 

“Yes.  He wants to wear his big-boy A-suit tonight though.”

 

“Okay, come on Sonny Boy. It’s shower time.”

 

“Yay!  Momma, I’m going to leave Leather Bear with you and he can look after you too, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

The door knocking gets our attention and Leda goes to answer.

 

“Hey Franc, what you doing here?”

 

“I’m so sorry, again, Mel and Brian but Ethan didn’t give you the band for Gus.”

 

“Pardon?  What band?”  Brian growls and I’m happy to let him get mad.

 

“This band is supposed to be put on every child when they board. So, Gus can I have your wrist please?”

 

Gus looks at Brian for reassurance and he nods.  “Will it hurt?”

 

“No sweetheart, it won’t.  Do you want Leda to put it on instead?”  Gus nods.  “Okay. See Gus, it looks like a watch but it’s not.  It gives you instant access to this suite and I shall programme it for daddy’s suite and the Kids Club.  What you need to do is hold your wrist to this panel on the door and the door will unlock.  Is there any other room that he should be given access to?”

 

“Definitely mine!”  Debs orders.  “Actually, everyone in this party.”

 

“Now I want you to look carefully at the face Gus.  This is a really clever band in that if you tap this red button when you don’t know where you are, all you have to do is stay where you are and someone will come to get you.  Do you understand?”

 

Gus nods and then hugs her.  “Thank you very much.”

 

“Can someone…”  I begin.

 

“No, it’s toughened steel and the clip only undoes with a code known only to the parents.  Here’s the instructions for that.”

 

“Wow.”  Emmett breathes.

 

“Once again, I’m so sorry.”

 

“Thanks so much.”  Debs grins and hugs her.

 

“Not your fault, but can we remove Ethan from here?”  Brian asks.  “I don’t want him around Gus.”

 

“Absolutely.  It will be my pleasure.”  She grins and after saluting, is gone.

 

BRIAN’S SUITE – AN HOUR LATER

 

BRIAN

 

“Gus let’s go say goodnight to momma.”

 

“Okay daddy.”

 

We had the door between the suites open and when we get inside Mel reaches for her phone.

 

“I need a picture!”  She grins and after 10 minutes, we have to go.

 

MICHAEL’S SUITE

 

MICHAEL

 

I open the door to Uncle Vic and he looks at me in surprise.

 

“Come on get dressed. We don’t want to be late.” He tells me.

 

“I am dressed.”

 

“Oh no.  No you aren’t.”  He sighs and grabs his phone.  “Ems, you’re needed.”

 

SEABIRD DINING ROOM & BAR – 20 MINUTES LATER

 

FRANC

 

I had to run around the deck a few times to get rid of my annoyance before I spoke to the Captain and he agreed that Ethan should be removed.  Ray was not happy but when I pointed out we could be in line for a lawsuit, he was suddenly thinking with his brain and not whatever romantic notion he has for him and Ian, I mean Ethan!  So Tyler is now looking after them completely.

 

The dining room is done beautifully, although it could be better. But once again, we are constrained by Ray and his love of VanGuard.  But the family is coming and they are all dressed in their finest.  Although, I’m not sure what his bestie has come as.

 

I wait for them all join me at the bar.  Gus looks adorable in his suit.  Once Gus is put on the bar stool, I’m about to go and get the rest of the crew when bestie calls me back.

 

“Aren’t you going to take our drink orders?”

 

“No.  That’s what the other barman’s for.”  I head to the office and tap.  “We’re up boys.”

 

“I hate these things.”  Ben grumbles.

 

“Then perhaps you shouldn’t be a captain of a ship?”  Justin teases him.

 

“Ah that’s where I’ve been going wrong.”  He shakes his head.  “Okay so tell me about them.”

 

BEN

 

Franc clears her throat and grins.  “There’s the cuteness that is Gus. He’s 4 and on the bar stool and most likely anchored to his dad, Brian, the prize winner.  Look to the redhead, that’s Debs and then the rest will be intro’d, then we go eat.”

 

“Brian?!”  Justin squeaks.  “Can I see?”

 

I open the door and Justin drops his head.  “It had to be him.”

 

“Him-him?”  Franc gasps.  “Be right back!”

 

FRANC

 

I make my way back to the table and look at the placings and smile.

 

“And what do you think you are doing?”  Emmett’s voice startles me.

 

“Uh... just checking the table?”

 

“Uh-huh.”   He smirks, sipping his Cosmo.  “Honey, I know a matchmaking run when I see it. So who we moving?”

 

With a giggle, we move Michael to the end of the table and Justin next to Gus.

 

I head back to the room and he heads back to the family.

 

“Okay, we’re ready.”  I smile then have to run after Justin when he makes a break for it.

 

BEN

 

I walk to the bar trying not to smile. She’s more than capable of carrying him back, and she’s right about Gus. He’s cute!  The rest of the family seem nice but Michael seems a little clingy and during some parts of the conversation, bewildered.

 

We’re chatting in general and Brian mentions that he’s not seen any advertising for us.

 

I kiss my teeth and shake my head.  “That’s Ray’s idea. For a gay guy, he’s not really pushing this cruise and VanGuard doesn’t really help.  I have to admit that I’m not a fan, but we’re stuck with Gardner Vance for a few more years, unless we can get someone new.”

 

“Are you kidding with me?”  Brian asks, looking over his glass at me.

 

“Uh no.  Ray, my cousin, handles all the administration of Seabird Enterprise Inc and that includes advertising.  Between you and me, the only reason we had the prize draw was because Ray’s dad put his foot down and said VanGuard had to do something after some disappointing years. The revenue has not been what he has hoped.”

 

“Why not give me a call?  I’ll see what we can do.”  Brian hands me a card and Michael splutters his drink, then heads to the bathroom to clean up.

 

“Kin-Kinnetic?   Are you kidding me?!”  I look at him in awe.  “That’s you?”

 

“Well us.  Ted’s the CFO.”

 

“Wow.  I’ll get Franc to give it to their dad.  Going direct works better than going through Ray.  Let’s go to the table shall we?”

 

When we get to the table Franc has got Justin firmly in hand, although he’s trying to back away.

 

“Mr Justin!”  Gus cries excitedly.  “Hello. I didn’t know you were going to be here.  Daddy, this is Mr Justin. He’s so cool and he owns Rhubarb and Custard.”

 

BRIAN

 

Oh Christ!  I thought him in his uniform was good but him in his civvies is actually making my mouth water.

 

“Yes I know Gus. I gave Rhubarb back to him, remember?”

 

“Oh yes.  Sit Mr Justin, sit next to me!”  He tugs on his hand.

 

There’s a look between Franc and Emmy and I wonder what that is about.

 

Ben stands at the head of the table.  “Brian, you are to my right and Debs you’re to my left.  Please everyone sit.”

 

MICHAEL

 

When I get back to the bar, everyone has gone. The barman tells me they’ve gone to the table. They could’ve waited!

 

I head to the table then stop and stare. I know Blake and Franc but who the fuck is that sitting in my seat?!

 

“Ah Michael, you’re back.  Everything cleaned up?”  Uncle Vic asks, sipping on his drink.

 

“Yes thanks.  So who’s the new person?”  I ask, resentfully taking the seat at the end of the table.

 

“This is Justin.”  Ben tells me.

 

“And what is it that you do Justin?”  I sneer.

 

“I run the Kids’ Club.”  He replies, smiling at me. I don’t smile back.

 

“And he has Rhubarb and Custard, the coolest cats ever.”  Gus tells me then turns to Brian.  “You liked Rhubarb, didn’t you daddy?  Oh! And are you still coming for reading tomorrow daddy?”

 

Reading?

 

“Yes Gus.  Whose idea was the reading day?”  Brian looks at Ben.

 

“That would be Justin.”  He replies.  “Although the kids are on holiday, he’s very passionate about education.”

 

“When’s the drawing day Justin?”  Franc asks, earning a withering look from me.

 

“Friday.”

 

“Daddy, you’re good at drawing but Mr Justin is better.  He drawed all of those pictures.”

 

We look round the room and Brian’s jaw drops.

 

“You did these?”  Ted asks.

 

“Christ, you are really good!”  Ma tells him, beaming.

 

“Thanks.”  He replies and I roll my eyes at his fake modesty.  “But Gus it’s ‘drew’.”

 

“Who’s Drew?”  Gus asks looking around.

 

“No that’s not what I mean.”  Justin smiles.  “When you said I drawed all of those pictures, you should’ve said I drew all of those pictures.”

 

“Why?”  Gus looks at him.

 

“Uh…”

 

“Oh come on, my nephew’s on holiday; give him a break.”  I object.  “This is a time for fun.”

 

“Sorry.”  Justin mumbles, going red and I hide my smirk in my drink.

 

“But I want to know why, daddy?”  Gus looks at Brian.

 

“Because he’s already done the pictures so he drew them and on Friday you are going to draw pictures…”

 

“So what’s drawed then?”

 

“Drawed isn’t a word Sonny Boy.”

 

“Oh okay then.  Mr Justin drew the pictures.  Aren’t they great?”

 

“Thank you Gus.”  Justin smiles at him.

 

“That’s it, you’re Sunshine, as you just lit the whole room up with that smile!”  Ma declares.

 

“Um thanks.”  He mumbles, going redder and I huff an annoyed breath.

 

“So is it normal for a bar person and a steward to be at the Captain’s table?”  I ask and ignore the glare from Uncle Vic.

 

“I’m not sure I follow what you mean Michael.”  Ben says as the table goes quiet.  “Blake is the ship’s doctor and Franc is the First Mate so they are third and second in command, respectively.”

 

“Oh I didn’t know that.”  I feel heat creeping up my face.

 

“Amazing what you learn when you listen.”  Emmett says, smiling not so sweetly.

 

“Okay, shall we order?”  Ben looks around the table and they all nod.

 

EMMETT

 

He is so lucky he’s down that end of the table!  I daren’t look at Vic but I can feel how annoyed he is.  And of course he just had to spurt beer all over my fucking shirt!  I look across at Franc and she’s pissed off too.

 

“Daddy, can I have a burger and fries?”  Gus asks.

 

I love that kid so much. What Lindsay did was abhorrent, and if she was in slapping distance, her head would be back to front!

 

“Um I’m not sure your momma…”

 

“Uh, why not have two of the sliders instead?  They’re smaller.  The burgers on this menu are pretty big.”  Justin tells him.

 

“Okay Mr Justin.  What about the fries? Are they big too?”

 

“Yeah, but tell you what... you can share mine.”  Justin says then goes red.  “I mean if that’s okay with your daddy.”

 

“It’s fine.  At least he’s going to eat fries.”  Brian smiles and that smile hits his eyes…ooh Franc and I need to talk for sure!  “So Sonny Boy, are you going to have an appetiser?”

 

“Yes daddy.  Can I have the dumplings?”

 

“I’m not sure.  It seems they are going to be spicy so maybe not.  Ben, or do I call you Captain Ben?”

 

“Ben’s fine, thanks!  But yeah they are going to be spicy.  He can have the lettuce wraps and we’ll take out the chilli.”  Ben suggests.  “Is he okay with peanuts?”

 

“Yes he’s fine with nuts.”

 

“He’s your son.  So of course he is.”  Ted intones and he and Blake giggle like school girls.

 

“Ted, that was inappropriate.”  Michael chastises him.

 

“What did Unca Ted say that was bad?”  Gus asks.  “I am your son and I can eat nuts.  I like eating nuts.  You like eating nuts too, don’t you daddy?”

 

Ben is clapping Brian on the back as he inhaled all of his drink up his nose.  He’s coughing up a storm and his eyes are streaming.

 

Oh out of the mouths of babes!

 

BRIAN

 

I finally have stopped coughing.  Debs, Uncle Vic and Emmy are looking mischievously at me and I want to smack them.  The first course arrives and Gus is wiggling in his seat with excitement, but he’s wearing Armani!

 

“You do sleeves; I do neck?”  Justin asks me and for a second or two I’m confused before realising what he means.

 

Between us, we get the napkin around Gus’s neck and blanketed across his chest and his sleeves rolled up.  He insisted that his jacket was hung where he could see it as it is his big-boy suit.

 

When the main course arrives, I just stare at Justin’s plate.  He’s ordered the triple burger and fries.

 

“Sickening.”  Franc grumbles.  “Has two of them a day and nothing sticks to him.”

 

“Gus, do you want to take some fries?” Justin asks him.

 

“I’ll do that for you Sonny Boy.”  I reach across and take a handful and then take a couple off his plate.  “Quality control.”  I reply in the face of Gus’s expression.

 

“Yeah.”  Justin snickers.  “Let’s go with that.”

 

Two hours later, I have one pooped little boy.

 

“Guys, I need to get Gus to bed. It is way past his bedtime.”

 

“The reading class is in the afternoon so he can sleep in.”  Justin tells me as he gets his jacket.

 

“Thanks.”  My yawn catches me off guard and I blush.  “I’m pretty tired myself.”

 

I look around the dining room and we’re pretty much the only people here.  I smile my thanks as Justin covers a sleepy Gus with his jacket.

 

“Kiddo, we’ll see you later!”  Debs calls out.

 

“Brian, I’ll come with you.”  Michael calls out.

 

“Daddy.  Can I sleep with you tonight?”  Gus mumbles.

 

“Sure you can, Sonny Boy.  Sure you can.  Good night all!”

 

BEN

 

“Well that’s our cue too.  This has been an excellent evening, I mean that.  Come on, you three. We have a ship to steer in a few hours.”

 

For once, I genuinely enjoyed the Captain’s Dinner and watch them stumble tiredly towards the lifts and pray that he looks back and he does!

 

MICHAEL

 

I have to run to catch up with Brian, just making it before the lift closes.

 

“That was an interesting dinner.”  I tell him.

 

“I enjoyed it.  Gus had a good time.”  He adjusts him in his arms, then the lift stops.  “Goodnight Mikey.”

 

“Goodnight?”  I look at him.

 

“Yeah, this is your floor.  Gus wants to sleep with me tonight.  See you tomorrow.”

 

As the door shuts, all I can think is fuck!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.