- Text Size +

CHAPTER 40 - INTRODUCTIONS...BEING CASTED

 

LIBERTY AVENUE - SATURDAY MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

I can feel Brian’s eyes boring into the back of my head. I know I owe him big time but even though he’s annoyed, I know he’s a bit proud. Because only Brian Kinney could make lead-walking a 3 year old Maine Coon look cool.

 

“Shut the front door and get the fuck out!” A bear exclaims and he reaches for his phone and I can hear him jabbering away. “No seriously! Kinney is walking a cat! He and his kid and it looks awesome!”

 

“Daddy, I can’t believe that Rhubie and Custard walk on a lead!” Gus is walking Rhubie and I’m trying to appease his bad mood by sashaying in front of him in the tightest pair of jeans I own! I turn to look back and my heart melts as Gus is holding Brian’s hand as they walk to the store...and the journey from the top of Liberty Avenue to the store, which normally takes about 5 minutes took half an hour!

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

NATHAN

 

We’re actually closed this morning. The introduction has to be contained and without anyone else to distract them. We have no idea how they are going to react to each other.

 

Justin taps on the door and I let them in. I just shake my head in the awe at the coolness that is Brian Kinney as he pulls off sunglasses and tucks them into pocket. He lifts Gus onto the counter and for 15 minutes, we let them look around and get used to it. Then Justin and I bring down the kittens. Immediately, they shoot up the tree and regard the interlopers with suspicion.

 

Omid puffs out his chest and glares. Custard just growls at them every couple of minutes but Rhubarb, slowly inches towards them and then turns his back on them.

 

“Papa, what’s Rhubie doing?” Gus whispers.

 

“Letting them come to him.” Justin whispers back and sure enough Anisa starts to come down from the tree. The temptation of Rhubarb’s big tail has proven to be too much. As soon as she touches it, Rhubarb moves a little forward. Vanda then makes her way down from the tree and Rika is making his way along the top of the sofa while Custard watches him with one eye.

 

“Custard, play nice.” Brian orders, flicking through a comic. Custard seems to take a breath of annoyance and almost rolls his eyes before rolling almost on his side.

 

“Oh!” Justin breathes in awe. “Seriously, how do you do that?”

 

“What did I do?” Brian looks up in surprise and then at where Gus and Justin are gaping. Rika tucks himself into Custard’s tail and is settling down for a snooze.

 

Twenty minutes later, Omid has finally conceded and all six of them are on the sofa dozing...and especially in Custard’s case, purring loudly!

 

DEBS HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

I pick at the tile on counter and wait for her to speak. “Michael, this is Rodney and Vic’s wedding so that makes it their choice as to who they have in it doing what…”

 

“But I’m his nephew! Brian has bought his way into this house, my home and…” I trail off as she looks incredulously at me. “What I mean is…”

 

“Exactly what you said!” Daphne’s voice cuts me off. “I don’t know much about you but I heard what you did. And if I was Vic and heard that crap you just said, I wouldn’t have you anywhere near my wedding! I’ll see you later Debs!”

 

She storms out of the kitchen so I turn back to Ma and she is still just staring. “What are you still doing here?”

 

“I’m sorry Ma, but I’m just so upset that I can’t…”

 

“Not me you should apologise to!”

 

“But…” I protest but she walks passed me and just opens the front door. “I’ll see you later then.”

 

As I walk up the street, I think about what I said and still can’t see anything wrong with it.

 

“Watch out!” A voice calls out and I just about avoid being hit by a cyclist. But instead, I crash to the sidewalk, landing hard on my elbow.

 

“Fuck!” I yell as the pain radiates up my arm and there is the pain in my ribs. It hurts so much I almost throw up! “Don’t move! Someone call an ambulance!” That’s the last thing I hear before I pass out.

 

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL - TWO HOURS LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

Inside, I smile. I know that it’s partly drugs but it’s also because Brian is here and Boy Ass isn’t with him!

 

“How long will he be in the cast for?” Ma asks the doctor.

 

“About six weeks. He will also need looking after until he gets used to doing things one handed.”

 

I sink back into the pillows and sigh. “I live by myself….”

 

“We’ll sort something out.” Brian tells Ma and then looks at his watch. “Look, I have to get back...”

 

This time I let the smile come through as I drift off.

 

DEBS’ HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I am on the sofa, drinking some tea. Everyone is here trying to work out how to look after me.

 

“So where is he going to stay?” Blake looks round. “We all work.”

 

“He doesn’t need 24 hour care.” Ted states. “He just needs to get used to doing things one handed. At best, he’ll need a week to learn.” There is nodding. “Unless he milks it, of course.” I hear Ted mutter and glower at him.

 

“Ted, have you ever broken your arm and suffered severely bruised ribs?” I exclaim. “It’s absolute agony!”

 

“Well if you had been looking where you were going, neither would you. I heard that you just stepped out, without looking.” Emmett retorts.

 

“How about Britin?” I look at him appealingly and shift painfully.

 

“No. First, we’ve still got the girls and…”

 

“I thought they would've furnished the house by now.” I point out.

 

“They have but Ruby still needs care and…”

 

“But you have the space.” I try again and look around for support. Some of them are beginning to nod. “Or the loft?”

 

“What’s the difference between staying in your one bedroom apartment and staying in a one bedroom loft apartment?” Uncle Vic asks.

 

“The loft is a definite no because Justin and I use it and…”

 

“So Britin it is then.” I sit back against the cushions, smiling.

 

“Britin it isn’t. If you had let me finish... As, we also have Rhubarb and Custard and you’re allergic.”

 

“You can definitely get rid of them until I’m better.”

 

“This will involve me getting rid of Justin. So no, not doing that!”

 

“The best place for him, realistically, is here Sis. I’m barely here since I’ve virtually moved in with Rodney.” Uncle Vic chuckles.

 

“But what about Daphne?” Hunter asks and I seethe. This is my home first!

 

“Wait, what about my place for Hunter and Daphne?” Boy Ass asks but when Brian clears his throat, he goes pink. “Ah, maybe not.”

 

What the hell is that about?!

 

“Wait I have an idea!” Emmett cries out. “Why don’t the kiddos stay at mine? They are still orienteering so aren’t in during the day. I have a room and a sofa bed.”

 

“That’s that sorted out then. I’ll go around and pack a week’s worth of clothes for you. Give me your keys, Michael.” Ma demands getting up. “Are they in your jacket?” I nod and then everyone starts to leave.

 

Ma comes back, two hours later. I look up but she doesn’t look happy.

 

“Take your bag up, Michael. You have to get used to…”

 

“Ma, I’ve just come out of the hospital and…”

 

“You came out of hospital yesterday and you have a broken arm and bruised ribs because of your stupidity. You haven’t been shot like Markus…”

 

“But…”

 

“Bag upstairs now!” She yanks the blanket off me and puts my bag in my lap. “And Michael, I stopped wiping your ass a long time ago. So get used to a stand up wash!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.