- Text Size +

CHAPTER 54 - EXPLAINING THE MISTER, SAYING IT PROPERLY AND BEING SURPRISED

 

BRITIN - SUNDAY EVENING SAME TIME

 

GUS’S BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

“So Sonny Boy, did you have a good time today?” I tuck Leather Bear behind his head in his corner and watch Rhubarb sit at the bottom of the bed...waiting for the signal.

 

“Yes, it was so much fun. I like Grady but not as much as Rhubarb and Custard. He’s too slobbery and can’t control his feet. And Mr David was funny in the water sprays. I wished we took some pictures…”

 

“I think Alexandra did. I’ll check with her tomorrow and if she has we can get them from her and put them in your memory book.” Justin tells him. “Now I know you don’t like it, but you’ve just recovered from flu. So take this like a good boy okay?”

 

“Yes papa.” He opens his mouth, scrunches his eyes closed and quickly swallows the offending liquid. “Oh that’s tastes ugly!” He exclaims, wiping his tongue on his sleeve.

 

“Ugly? Where did you hear that from?” I laugh.

 

He looks round conspiratorially. “Franc said it. Don’t tell her I tolded on her. But she said it about the smoothie Mr Michael made. And she was right! It was really horrible...even more horrible than that!”

 

“Speaking of Mr Michael... why are you calling him that now? It used to be Uncle Michael.”

 

He sits back against his pillow and gives it some thought. “Because, I don’t feel like he’s my uncle anymore. I was really mad at him for shouting at Chandra and he’s still not said sorry. And sometimes, not all the time, but he tries to sit next to you instead of letting papa sit next to you. I don’t like that because it’s not very nice. And I haven’t had time to tell him that he’s being mean to papa and to ask him to say sorry to Chandra properly because I haven’t seen him.” He looks at the pair of us to gauge our reactions. “You’re not mad at me for calling him Mr Michael, are you?”

 

“Now that you’ve explained it, no. But it might upset Uncle Michael if you keep calling him that. Tell you what, why don’t we go to the diner after school tomorrow and you can tell him, you know like you did with the comic books?”

 

“Okay daddy. I would like to call him Uncle Michael again but he has to be nicer first.”

 

“Yes, Gussie, yes he does. Now snuggle down and get some sleep. We will see you in the morning.” Justin holds up the blanket so that he can wiggle down.

 

“Night daddy, night papa...love you.” He smiles and pats his pillow where Rhubie moves beside him, purring loudly.

 

“Night Sonny Boy...love you two-too!” We chorus and he giggles.

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

“Well that is one observant little man…”

 

“With a strong sense of right and wrong.” Justin puts his feet in my lap and wiggles his toes hopefully. “He takes after his parents. Toes wiggling here...administer foot rub, pretty please.”

 

“One of his parents is in trouble with the other for flashing jewellery…”

 

“Ah you noticed!” My little imp grins. “You like?”

 

“Maybe. When did you have it done?” I move up the sofa so I can reach that naughty piece of jewellery. His eyes lock onto my hand, watching with bated breath as I slowly inch my way up his stomach under his shirt. “Incy wincy spider…”

 

He gasps as I tug on the ring gently. “So when?” I start to push up his shirt, feathering my fingers along his stomach. “Such a responsive little imp….but yet to answer the question.”

 

“A few year back. I d-don't want the hole to close up, so have to put it in for a few days...where are you going?” He protests as I slide out from under his legs.

 

“Somewhere special…” I reply, lying on top of him and start to lick and nibble his stomach. “Taking the scenic route.”

 

He giggles and cards his fingers in my hair. Slowly I kiss and nip my way to his chest. At first, I nip and suck his unadorned nipple, making him gasp and mewl. Then I kiss a path to his ring and ghost my breath over his hardening peak. “So pretty.” I moan and suck him into my mouth, twirling the ring with my tongue and gently pulling on it. The sounds he is making are so erotic that I think I can do this... I can get him off on this alone. I tug, twist and pinch his other nipple as he is arching and pulling on my hair in tandem with every, nip, twist, pull and suck.

 

“Oh! Oh!” He starts to chant, humping and wrapping his legs around me. “Please don't stop!” He begs, his breathing choppy. I redouble my efforts and he’s almost bucking me off the sofa. “Aaaaaaaahhhaaaa!” He squeals, arches hard and freezes in mid-buck before shuddering and sinking back down. “That was…”

 

“Hot!” I slide up and kiss him thoroughly. “You owe me a pair of jeans.”

 

“What happened to your legendary control?”

 

“I’ve been thinking of that ring ever since I saw it and well... I am but a mere man!”

 

“And whatta man, you are!” He whispers against my lip and slides his hand into the back of my jeans. “Need just a little taste…” He purrs and I spread my legs to give him a bit more room to manoeuvre.

 

“Go to it.” I growl before moulding our mouths together.

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - MONDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

“So what happens now? With us I mean?”

 

“That's up to you.” He replies.

 

“Does your phone work at all?” I meant to ask him that last night.

 

“No it’s shot. But that was a fortuitous accident…”

 

“How so?”

 

“I prefer to keep my business and personal phones separate. So I will get another phone and text you the number, if you want it.”

 

“Of course I want it! I want to be with you, David. I don't understand where you get this idea that I want to be with Brian from.”

 

“Actions speak louder than words, Michael. Now I have to go so I’ll text you later with the new number.”

 

“Okay. Look forward to receiving it.”

 

He’s out the door before I can approach to give him a kiss goodbye.

 

I contemplate my next move and start to look up florists. You want actions? Well let’s see what you think of this!

 

DINER - AFTER SCHOOL

 

DEBS

 

Michael is looking pensive... yeah that’s it! Pensive. He keeps checking his phone and looking like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle...gotta love Franc and her pissycisms...not sure what is going on with him and his phone, but we have a comic book type situation again between him and Gus. Finally, he cracks a smile and leans back in the booth.

 

He looks up when the door opens and it brings in Brian, Justin, Gus and Chandra. Oh yes, this is big!

 

“Can we use the office please, grandma?” Gus asks, holding onto Chandra’s hand. I nod and he then approaches the booth that Michael is sitting in. “Hello, can we talk to you, please?”

 

“Why? Actually, you and I need to have…”

 

“Daddy.” Gus looks at him before looking at me again.

 

“Michael, let’s go to the office first and then you guys can talk. But understand, they asked for this meeting.”

 

He huffs, but does get out of the booth.

 

“Grandma, are you coming too?” Gus asks and Kiki waves me away.

 

OFFICE

 

JUSTIN

 

Once the door is closed, Michael goes to speak first but is stopped immediately. “Michael, Gus wants to explain why he has taken to calling you Mr Michael.” Brian tells him as I watch his eyes narrow and then gleam victoriously. Somehow, I get the feeling this was what he wanted to speak to Gus about.

 

“Oh, I’m looking forward to this explanation. I was going to…”

 

“Michael, let Gus explain.” I cut him off. “Go ahead, Gus. Say it exactly like you told us.”

 

“I don’t feel like you’re my uncle anymore. You’re not the same as before. You used to be nicer. You were mean to Chandra when you shouted at her and then didn’t even say sorry…”

 

“I said I wouldn’t do it again.” Michael objects, barely able to suppress his eyes rolling.

 

“But you didn’t say the word sorry as you should’ve done.” Gus pauses and we all look at Michael.

 

“Sorry for shouting at you Candra....I mean Chandra.” He corrects quickly.

 

“Is that okay for you Chandra?” Gus asks and my heart is fit to bursting.

 

“Yes Gussie, it is. My hero!” She hugs him tightly.

 

“Are we back to…” Michael starts.

 

“There’s more.” Brian interrupts.

 

Gus gets his serious face on again. “And you also need to say sorry to papa.”

 

Debs and Michael look surprised. It’s Michael who speaks first. “What for?”

 

“Sometimes, not always, you sit next to daddy even though you know papa is sitting next to him and that’s not nice. I want to...I want to call you Uncle Michael again but you’re mean sometimes and I don’t want do that when you’re still being mean.”

 

Brian arches an eyebrow at Michael and I can see the colour creeping up his neck. Gus looks expectantly at him. “Sorry Justin if me taking your seat sometimes has hurt your feelings.” He grinds out.

 

“Papa, is that okay for you too?”

 

“Yes, Gussie, it is.”

 

“Good. Now we can go back to being normal again. Can we go home, please?” Gus grins up at us and Brian just nods. I can see he’s feeling a little choked up.

 

“Bye grandma! Bye Uncle Michael!” Gus calls out as we leave.

 

“Bye Mr Michael!” Chandra calls out and shuts the door leaving a... no doubt fuming... Michael and a very proud Debs in the office.

 

DEBS

 

I look at him and know what he’s thinking. “I said it to you on the cruise and he’s proved it now. He’s more mature than you.” He stops the roll of his eyes. “So you and David... are you still going to be seeing each other?”

 

This makes him smile. “Yes, of course we are. Why wouldn’t we be?”

 

“After yesterday?” I raise an eyebrow and think that maybe I should not mention what Brian noticed with regards to the fancy duds that Andrew bought him...

 

Start of flashback

PLEASANT KINGDOM PARK

 

DEBS

 

I watch as Andrew comes rushing up and looks round for David. “Uh where’s…”

 

“Fountains with Grady and the kids still but should be back soon.” I tell him. “Now come sit down and stop fretting!”

 

“I just took him off the leash for one minute. He loves to run, though he’s not in control of his brakes yet…”

 

“And has to grow onto those paws of his!” I laugh. “Seems that David has managed to get him under some control.” He looks where I’m pointing and starts to laugh.

 

“Ah…” He nods sagely. “The carry you and hold you tight technique. Must try that.”

 

As Grady spots him, he starts to wriggle but whatever David said seems to work...kinda. At least, he’s not trying to leap out of his arms.

 

“Hi, you can put him down.” Andrew smiles. “Here's what I picked out. Hope they are okay?”

 

“As long as they are dry, that's all that matters!” David laughs and takes the bag off him. “Where’s the…”

 

“Over there sweetheart, and take the towel with you.” I call out.

 

“Thanks. Won't be long.”

 

And he wasn't, but we made sure that Andrew was pulled into the various conversations around him. He only noticed David’s return when Grady’s tail started to thump.

 

“That’s so much better.” David sighs and then looks at his sodden feet.

 

“Oh shit, I didn't think to get shoes!” Andrew gasps. “Ooops sorry!” He blushes and looks at the children.

 

“Don't worry about it. I doubt they heard you over their chatter.” Carl smiles.

 

“At least take them off and stuff them with napkins that might absorb some of the water?” I suggest.

 

“Newspaper is best for that.” Carl advises.

 

“I have some in the car, be right back!” Andrew gets up and runs back before we can say anything.

 

“Maybe he forgot the shoes because he was too busy picking out the perfect outfit, which I have to admit is an improvement on what he was wearing.” Brian drawls, casting a critical eye over David as he heads barefoot to get some food.

 

“What do you mean?” Justin asks, coming to sit next to him.

 

“Despite being in a relationship with me, you still have learned nothing sartorially.” He sighs dramatically. “Shirt, Hugo Boss, albeit last season, and pants, Ferragamo, again last season although the belt is this season.”

 

We are all gaping at him. “And?” Justin prompts.

 

“A simple tee and shorts should’ve been enough, no more than $50 for yomping around the park. But he’s spent $40 on the belt alone. The rest well… it bears stating that he’s sending David a message…”

 

“Which is?” Carl demands a frown creasing his forehead.

 

“I like you and want to treat you, which should be Michael’s job. Where is he by the way?”

 

“Sleeping by the tree…”

End of flashback

 

“We’re fine. In fact, I’m going to be sending him flowers to work later in the week. But can I ask you something about Gus?”

 

“Yes, what is it?”

 

“Don’t you think he’s getting a little too big for his britches? I mean, yes he’s a combination of Brian and Mel but really the way he was behaving just now... Brian should have a word with him about the way he speaks to adults.”

 

“He wasn’t talking to an adult, Michael; he was talking to you!” I sigh and go back to my shift.

 

ALLEGHANY ORTHOPAEDIC WING - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

DAVID’S OFFICE

 

I am in the middle of doing the write up for my last patient. God, it has been non-stop all morning! And now, there is a hubbub outside, which I am trying to ignore. Normally I can tune it out but on top of a busy morning, I have had Michael calling me to try and arrange lunch for this week. Yes, it’s showing he’s at least trying to focus on me, but he clearly has too much time on his hands! He has called six times in the last two days.

 

“Oh for fuck sake, what is going on out there?!” I growl and get up to go and find out. When I do, I find myself looking a bouquet of beautiful pink and red velvet roses. “Oh my god, Jasmine! What the hell did your partner do for him to send you that?!”

 

“I wish!” My PA laughs. “These Dr Cameron are for you.” She hands them to me theatrically. “So I think we are due a coffee break. While I go and get them, you can try and make up something I will believe!”

 

I can’t help but smile in the face of her sassy attitude and carry the bouquet into my office. I find the card and am pleasantly surprised to find that they are from Michael, while trying not to listen too much into my inner voice sighing with disappointment that this marvellous bouquet wasn’t from Andrew.

 

“So, explain who they…” She begins but my phone rings again.

 

“Hello Michael. Sorry, I’ve been in with patients. And then I had to…” I pause as Jasmine goes back out and then bursts out laughing. “Michael, I’m going to have to call you back. Something is happening in my office. No, let me call you back.”

 

Just as I hang up on him saying he will call back in ten minutes, Jasmine comes in with a wine and cookie gift basket. Everything is dog related and I just know it’s from Grady and can’t help the grin on my face!

 

“So, who is Grady?” She demands, looking hopefully at the basket. “Aha, fit for human consumption! I’m okay to open this, right?”

 

“That wasn’t a question but the answer is yes. And Grady is a Ridgeback puppy, who had me running through a fountain during a picnic on Sunday afternoon.”

 

By the time, I have finished telling her about the weekend her expression is a cross between amused and confused. “So Michael, the guy you are seeing, sent you these? But Andrew bought you clothes and sent an apology gift basket from Grady? I have to tell you that your response to each was different.”

 

“Of course the reaction is going to be different since it is two different things.” I point out.

 

“True, but the bigger smile should be for the flowers. At the risk of dropping a cliché bomb, you’re a gay man. You shouldn’t look that happy to receive wine and cookies, especially from another man’s dog.”

 

“Don’t you have reports to type up, appointments to schedule?” I huff.

 

“Best form of defence is attack as my mother used to say.” She smirks and snags another cookie before heading back to her desk. Shaking my head at the absurdity of her suggestion, I get back to work.

 

DEBS HOUSE - 30 MINUTES LATER

 

DEBS

 

I regard him suspiciously and still hold back the keys.

 

“Ma, come on. For someone who is so pro-David, you do seem to want to make it difficult for me to see him, especially since I have no vehicle of my own and only my savings to rely on.”

 

“Well you could save your savings by getting a job!  Fine, here, but put gas in it as well!” I order before pausing. “Actually, you can drop me off at the diner on the way to the garage and then go and meet with David.” His silence tells me he’s feeling insulted but I don’t give a rats ass. There’s still something that is niggling me though. “So lunch with your beau today, huh?”

 

“Yes that’s the idea. I’m going to surprise him... again. The florist said the delivery happened today!”

 

“Nice, but did you actually check with David that he can do lunch today? From what you were bitc...saying, he does seem very busy this week.”

 

“All work and no play makes a very dull man.”

 

Yeah, but no work and all play has made you a stupid one!

 

“Don’t you think you should check with him? Look what happened with the cast incident and how that miscommunication…” Meaning Michael expected David to cave. “...worked out.”

 

“David wants me to show him with actions, not words, how I feel about him. Flowers and lunch will do that.” He explains as he pulls up at the garage. “Aren’t you going to get out and pump?”

 

“No, you want the car, you pump.” I settle myself firmly into the seat. Again, with the side eye but I ain’t shifting.

 

Ten minutes later, he lets me out at the diner. “Well have a nice lunch. Say hi to David for me.”

 

ALLEGHANY ORTHOPAEDIC WING - AN HOUR LATER

 

DAVID’S OFFICE

 

MICHAEL

 

There’s nobody at the desk outside his office so I head on through and I am pleased to see my flowers looks great. But then spot the gift basket and wonder who it is from. I look around and find the card and am about to pick it up when I hear someone behind me clearing their throat.

 

“Can I help you sir?” The woman’s tone is sharp.

 

“No, I’m just waiting for David. I’m Michael, his boyfriend.” I wait for signs of recognition of my name but nothing. “Do you know how long he’s going to be?”

 

“Yes, about four hours. He’s in surgery.”

 

“Surgery? But I’ve driven all this way to take him to lunch!”

 

“I don’t know what to say except that this appointment has been scheduled since he joined us here. You can wait in…”

 

“I’ll wait here, thanks.” I tell her shortly.

 

“I’m afraid that’s not possible. You would need to be authorised by Dr Cameron and there isn’t a Michael on his authorisation list.”

 

“You didn’t even check.” I point out.

 

“The list is very short.” She gets between me and his desk. “Now sir, if you could excuse me, I need to secure this office.”

 

I consider arguing with her but I know David wouldn’t think that proper so I allow myself to be escorted out of his office. I am about to take a seat in hers when she clears her throat... again. “Now what?” I sigh exasperatedly.

 

“I’m going to lunch so this office will be locked too. I can take a message for you…”

 

“No, I can leave my own message for my boyfriend, thank you very much!” I snipe and head out. It isn’t until I get to the car that I realise I never got to see who the gift basket was from.

 

DAVID’S OFFICE - FIVE HOURS LATER

 

DAVID

 

I am bushed! That took a lot longer than I wanted it to but it’s done. I ache all over and I just want to have a good soak.

 

“Hey I’m all about done now. Did you get the message from Michael?”

 

“He called?”

 

“No, he turned up here. Wasn’t best pleased that you were in surgery for the rest of the day or that he wasn’t on the authorised guests list to wait in your office.”

 

“Oh, I will deal with that when I get home. Anything else?”

 

“No nothing else. Are you sure you’re okay to drive home? You look done in!”

 

“You know you’re right. I’ll take a cab. Do you want a cookie before I take them home?”

 

“Don’t take a cab, let me drop you off. I’d feel better.” She wheedles.

 

“Fine.” I’m too tired to argue.

 

Forty minutes later, she’s shaking me awake. “David, we’re here!”

 

I clamber out of the car and she helps me take my bounty in. I give her a hug goodbye and lock up. Then let out a blood curdling scream and almost throw the roses, when Michael comes out of the kitchen!

 

“What the fuck are you doing here?!” I gasp, when my heart rate comes back to normal! “You scared the shit out of me!”

 

“Sorry, but I missed you earlier when I dropped by to take you to lunch. Didn’t you get my messages?”

 

“Yes, I got your messages but haven’t had a chance to listen to them. But my question was and still is what are you doing here...as in inside of my home and it’s not Friday.”

 

“That was one of the messages, to say I was coming round to look after my man!”

 

“Oh, how... um... nice!” I smile as graciously as I can. “Excuse me a minute.”

 

I put the gift basket in the kitchen and check my messages and he does indeed say he was coming around. BUT he says that if in 2 hours I hadn’t called him back, he would assume everything was okay. I can feel my temper rising when I check the time of the message. He knew I would be in surgery! When I said that actions speak louder than words, giving me a proper choice, would be nice too!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks