- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

This is a Valentine’s Day story, in three parts. You can read about how the double date originated in the excerpt from Entwined that we have included at the beginning of the first chapter.

This story can be read on its own. You will, however, find it easier to understand Jack Kinney’s character if you have already read Entwined, which is an AU.

 

 

Prologue to The Date

ENTWINED - December 2014 (excerpt from chapter 35)

Brian was enjoying an afternoon with his son. Gus had insisted they go and watch the Pittsburgh Riverhounds play soccer, and Brian had conceded even though he was not thrilled by the prospect of freezing his ass on the stadium bleachers. Justin was busy doing God knows what - Brian was sure he was so disappointed to miss two hours of men running around all sweaty in their clinging shorts - so Brian was alone entertaining Gus. But the truth was, he didn't mind at all. Well, his ass didn't agree, obviously, since it was all of thirty-three degrees outside. 

"It's awesome!" Gus exclaimed as the players jogged off the field to the locker room at halftime. "Did you see how Mayers made that goal?"

"Yeah..." Brian blew on his hands, his cashmere-lined leather gloves not enough to stop the cold from invading his bones. "It's fucking freezing," he complained, but he had to laugh when he saw Gus's disapproving expression. 

"Dad," Gus reprimanded sternly. "Language."

"Right." Brian grinned. "You should really stop listening to your mothers so much." He surprisingly succeeded in not using the term ‘munchers,' which made him really proud of himself.

Gus rolled his eyes at his father's silliness. "Where is Justin?"

"With his mom," Brian answered, now remembering that Jennifer was moving back to the Pitts and that Justin was helping her to sort through her things in her new house. In other words, Brian feared that his partner would spend the next month at his mom's. Oh, joy.

"He has a mom?" Gus asked incredulously.

"Hmm... I know you've been raised by two women, but I think you should still be aware that to be born, you need to have a mother and a father participate," Brian quipped, Gus's spontaneity cracking him up.

Gus shook his head at his father, as if he were stupid. "I know that."

"You do?" Brian inquired innocently. 

"Stop fucking with me!" Gus ordered with a grin, while pushing his dad's shoulder.

"Wow, Gus! You used the F-word. I'm so proud of you!" Brian teased as Gus froze like a deer caught in the headlights, realizing what he'd just said. He then cleared his throat and pretended that nothing had happened, although the small smile playing on his lips gave him away.

"So, how is school?" Brian asked, deciding to stop messing with his son. He also wanted to know what was happening in Gus's life.

"It's... okay," Gus responded with a shrug, yet Brian sensed that he was hiding something.

"You're sure?" Brian pushed, but Gus's face remained impassive as he merely nodded in response. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. But I'm here if you need me, anytime. You know that, right?" 

Gus still didn't respond. Brian turned on the bleachers to face his son. "Gus," he called. Still no reaction. "For Pete's sake Gus, look at me," he demanded, the gentleness in his voice belying his words.

When Gus peered up at him, Brian saw the hesitation in his eyes. "I can tell you anything?" Gus asked, obviously not convinced.

"Anything," Brian confirmed immediately as he placed a hand on his son's knee.

Gus took a deep breath, looking away. He then whispered uncomfortably, "Okay..." He gazed up at his father and declared very seriously, "I'm in love."

Brian almost choked. "You're... in love?" he repeated, a shudder running down his spine. His seven-year-old son was in love? 

"I am," Gus stated emphatically. 

"With... a boy?" Brian tried, even though he was already convinced that his son was straight. He was in love at seven years old for Christ's sake.

Gus gave him an irritated look. "No! With a girl. Her name is Lily."

"Lily," Brian echoed. 

"Yes, Lily. It's the most beautiful name I have ever heard, don't you agree?" Gus asked enthusiastically.

"Sure," Brian agreed with a nod, too astounded to react any other way. His mind was still processing the unthinkable. He, Brian Kinney, had fathered a romantic child. Or maybe Gus thought that he was in love but was merely experiencing his first crush, which would fade away as fast as it had started. That was way more plausible. "How do you know you're in love?" Brian questioned, hopeful that Gus would confirm his theory.

"I just know. I feel my heart beating hard every time I see her, like very fast. My hands become sweaty and I can't stop looking at her," Gus disclosed, sporting a dreamy expression on his face. "A little like you when you're with Justin," he explained, and this time, Brian had to cough to disguise his instinctive reaction - gagging. Gus peered at his father with a frown and patted his back. Concerned, he asked, "Are you okay?"

"Just peachy," Brian retorted, still recovering from the fact that his son thought he looked like a schoolboy with a huge crush on Justin.

"Do you think I should ask her out?" Gus asked his father hopefully. 

"You mean, on a date?" Brian gasped. His son was asking his advice about love. Going on dates. The world had come to an end.

"Yes. I could buy chocolates. And flowers. We could go to the movies. Mom says that's what you do when you're in love," Gus declared, obviously having thought it through already.

"You can't go to the movies on your own," Brian reminded his son, ignoring the references to chocolates and flowers altogether. No way was Gus going on a date so young. Just no way.

"You can come with Justin. I wouldn't mind. We can double-date. Mom says it's fun to double-date!" Gus enthused.

Brian had to close his eyes to refrain from laughing out loud at the absurdity of this conversation. He inwardly cursed Lindsay for being such a romantic, now more than ever convinced that he really needed to exert more of a male presence in his son's life. Or even better, forbid him to see his mom ever again. "Maybe you could wait a little before going on a date. You know, for a decade or two," Brian finally quipped, earning a disappointed look from Gus. 

Shit. He had never been able to resist his son when he looked at him in that beseeching manner. Brian breathed heavily and finally relented, "Or maybe we can go to the movies with... Lily."

"Really?" Gus exclaimed, beaming.

"Really," Brian confirmed, amazed to realize again how much he loved it when his son looked at him as if he were the best dad in the world.

"You will ask Justin to come with us?" Gus insisted. To say that Gus had taken an instant liking to the blond would be a huge understatement, although Brian wasn't surprised. Gus was his son and shared his good taste, naturally. 

"I'm sure he will be delighted to come," Brian agreed, ruffling his son's hair affectionately. He knew perfectly well that he had just been played, but he didn't care.

"You really love him, don't you?" Gus suddenly inquired in a sweet voice, gazing up at his father expectantly. 

Brian stared down at his son. He marveled once again at how perceptive and full of life Gus was. He was so different from Brian when he was his age, his carefree behavior and joie de vivre so refreshing and heartwarming. Brian didn't know what he had done to deserve such a wonderful son, but he was fucking grateful. Gus was his redemption, his victory over life. He loved him so fucking much, and peering at him right now, he once again felt that amazing sensation bursting out of his chest.

"I do. I love him," Brian finally responded to his son's inquiry, not giving a shit how corny he sounded. It was the truth.

"See? We're both in love. So, we will have to go and buy chocolates and flowers for our dates. Just the two of us," Gus stated adamantly.

Brian roared with laughter as the first snowflakes started falling on the stadium, the soccer players jogging back onto the field.


THE DATE - Chapter 1: Chocolates and Flowers

Two months later, Thursday, 12 February 2015, 7:30 p.m., Brian's loft...

"Just no way," Brian barked into the phone, trying to block out the annoying voice coming from the mother of his only child. "No. Nada. Nein. Non. Nyet."

Justin was lying on his stomach, recovering from the mind-blowing orgasm he had experienced mere moments earlier. He gazed at his naked lover who was on his back next to him, his cell phone next to his ear, hair plastered to his forehead. He looked sexy as hell.

"Linds... Linds!" Brian insisted. "No, don't you dare..." He frowned, holding the cell away from his ear, then bringing it back, finally huffing, "Shit!"

"You okay?" Justin inquired, slowly caressing his lover's skin.

"No," Brian answered with a scowl. "She fucking put me on hold," he stated irritably, absently entwining his fingers with Justin's.

"What's the problem? Did she ask you to father a couple of siblings for Gus?" Justin quipped with a laugh, amused by his partner's obvious displeasure. Brian could deny it all he wanted, but he was the biggest drama queen Justin had ever met.

"Worse than that," Brian claimed, peering at Justin who was now plastered to his side, peppering his shoulder with sensuous kisses. 

"Hmm..." Justin hummed, reaching his partner's neck. Freeing his hand from Brian's, he caressed the brunet's chest, brushing against one nipple, and making Brian shiver in response.

"Gus?" Brian suddenly called out. "Hey, Sonny Boy!" he greeted the child in a warm voice.

Justin's hand froze when he heard the boy's name. 

"Sure. Of course!" Brian exclaimed a little too eagerly, causing Justin to look at him in puzzlement. "I promised, didn't I?" he added, although Justin could feel his body tensing. "Yes. Me too. I sooo look forward to it." 

Justin glanced up at Brian's face. His facial features were contorted in the most ridiculous grimace Justin had ever seen.

"Justin will be thrilled. Delighted. Enchanted," Brian pronounced with a nod, his brow furrowing as if he were in pain. "Sure, Gus. I'm delirious with joy," he vowed. "Love you too. See you tomorrow!" he bid goodbye cheerfully, waiting for Gus to hand the phone to Lindsay, before whimpering.

Justin couldn't help it. He chuckled at Brian's exaggerated torment.

"Linds. We're over," Brian proclaimed sternly as soon as his friend returned to the phone. Justin heard her burst out laughing. "It's not funny!" Brian roared. "Valentine's Day? Really? I hate you."

Justin frowned. He wasn't sure what was happening, but it apparently had to do with Gus and Brian on Valentine's Day. He almost started laughing, but he refrained. Whatever Brian had promised to do, it was obviously painful for the brunet, although Justin knew he couldn't refuse anything when it came to his son.

"Yeah. Whatever," Brian dismissed the topic. "I will be there to pick him up from school tomorrow, so that we can go buy whatever we'll need for Saturday. And Gus can stay the night here. That will be simplest."

He looked at Justin questioningly, silently asking for his approval. Justin nodded, smiling.

"Yes, Justin will be here. We will behave," he mocked in a high-pitched, childish voice. "I'm still mad at you, though... Yeah. Later," he disconnected the call.

"So..." Justin began, as he caressed Brian's chest with his fingers, propping himself up with his other hand and peering down at his lover. "What was that all about?"

Brian stared up at him, obviously hoping to delay the news somehow. He breathed out heavily, mumbling in a rush, "We'regoingonadateonValentine'sDay."

"Sorry, what?" Justin asked, not sure he had heard Brian correctly.

"A double date," Brian resumed more clearly. "With Gus. No big deal."

"You mean..." The blond gaped at Brian in astonishment.

"If you make me say it out loud one more time, you're sleeping on the couch," Brian threatened. 

"Hmm... I don't think you want me to sleep on the couch," Justin countered confidently, slowly kissing his way down Brian's stomach.

"I don't?" Brian questioned, his voice having lost its previous edge.

"Uh-uh..." Justin confirmed as he bypassed Brian's pubes.

"No... I don't," Brian conceded when Justin started kissing the side of his cock. "Just be sure..." he paused as Justin took him in his mouth "...to be free... on... Saturday," he gasped out.

"Hmm..." Justin hummed one more time. 

After that, Brian forgot all about the upcoming, horrible-to-contemplate Valentine's Day double date. 


Friday, 13 February, 3:15 p.m...

As he steered the jeep toward Gus's elementary school, Brian muttered to himself about romantic fools having nothing better to do with their time than chat about their plans for Valentine's Day. Some of them were even starting early, professing their love over the phone, by email, in person, even via a singing valentine. Brian had witnessed the most sickeningly romantic incident in Kinnetik's lobby as he had returned from lunch - a group serenading one of his graphic artists. The man's fiancée had apparently arranged the surprise, leaving the adman shaking his head in disgust at the fool's obvious pleasure. If Justin ever did something like that to him, he'd never speak to the blond again.

Pulling up in front of Gus's school, Brain steeled himself to be subjected to more romantic claptrap. He'd have to grin and bear it since he'd promised his son that they'd make a special trip to purchase chocolates and flowers. He just wished Gus hadn't chosen Valentine's Day for their double date.

"So, where to?" Brian asked after having picked up Gus, maneuvering the vehicle towards downtown.

"I want to buy chocolates for Lily and Justin. Lily loves the ones with caramel," Gus asserted resolutely from the backseat.

Brian scowled as he stopped the jeep at a red light. "Chocolates are full of carbs," he complained, as if his eight-year-old son could understand how highly traumatic gaining weight could be for his appearance-obsessed, aging father.

Gus gave Brian a pointed look. "They're delicious," he countered. "Justin told me they make our hearts stronger. Because of the antioxyans."

"Antioxidants," Brian corrected, cursing his partner for his constant public service announcements. "Of course, Justin would tell you that."

"Well, if our hearts can feel better from eating chocolates, I want them. I want Lily's heart to be open and relaxed. What if it's all stressed and she becomes sad or angry on our first date?"

Brian chuckled as he put the car in motion again. "Then, you will kiss her all better. With your tongue," he couldn't help but tease.

"Dad!" Gus exclaimed disapprovingly.

"What?" Brian feigned not to understand Gus's reaction.

"Gross. Eww," Gus made a face. "I don't want to kiss her with my tongue on her face."

"Who said anything about her face?" Brian queried. "When you love someone, you kiss him or her on the mouth."

"With your tongue?" Gus inquired, doubtful. 

"Yes, you can use your tongue to... well, put it into her mouth," Brian agreed, hoping really hard that Gus wouldn't ask for more details. The whole ‘your tongue will dance, it will be wet, and blah-blah' speech could wait for a few more years.

"Adults are so weird," Gus eventually professed. 

"You have no idea," Brian concurred, sighing in relief. It really would be better if Gus didn't mention this conversation to his mothers, or Brian would never hear the end of it. "But if you're not comfortable using your tongue, you can kiss her with your lips. Even just a peck on the cheek if you prefer." As far as Brian was concerned, the last option was the best one for his son. "It's most important never to do something you're not comfortable with."

"Oh..." Gus pondered what he'd just heard. Brian peered at him in the rearview mirror and noticed the serious look on his face. After a moment, Gus reached his own conclusion. "I still want chocolates for her. That way, if I decide to kiss her on the mouth, she will smell good."

Brian burst out laughing at his son's logic. "She doesn't usually? Maybe you should reconsider taking her on a date, then."

"Stop it!" Gus protested. "We're going on a date, the four of us. You won't get out of it, no matter how much you want to."

Brian smiled, a little surprised his son was so perceptive. He had obviously surmised Brian wasn't comfortable with the whole date thing, although the brunet had not entirely hidden his distaste. 

"Yes, I know. We're going on a date with Lily and Justin," Brian confirmed gently, nodding his head.

"Good," Gus nodded. "And we need flowers."

"Joy," Brian responded playfully, earning a light slap on the arm.

"Dad, this is very serious. You need to get flowers that reflect how you feel about Justin," Gus proclaimed. "Probably red roses. The florist at ‘Flowers from the Heart' will help us choose the correct ones."

"At ‘Flowers from the Heart'?" Brian echoed with a grimace.

"Yes. Grandma Debbie says it's the best florist in town. So we need to go there. Plus, it's just around the corner from ‘Mon Aimee Chocolat'. See? It's perfect," Gus declared, not leaving his father any choice.

Oh, shit. If Debbie had gotten involved, Brian feared it might take hours for them to choose the right flowers for their dates. 

Wait. And here it began... thinking about dates and not inwardly squealing. Gus was such a bad influence on him.

"Okay. First stop. Gourmet Chocolate Queen. Here we come," Brian announced as he turned the car towards their destination.


Brian and Gus entered ‘Flowers from the Heart' after having spent exactly forty-eight torturous minutes choosing the right boxes of chocolate for their dates.

Yes. Brian had counted each and every single one, freaking out at the idea of being spotted in the best chocolate shop in the Pitts just before Valentine's Day. He should have known he was fucked as soon as he had set foot in that store on a Friday the 13th, though. During the time he was there, he had run into two former tricks, his hairdresser, and one of his employees. Needless to say, every single person in his life would know of his whereabouts within the next couple of hours.

Gus had of course been adamant about buying the heart-shaped chocolate boxes, with the ridiculous, overweight cherubs surrounded by even more hearts imploring, "Be my valentine," and proclaiming, "Yours forever and ever." Brian had swallowed every snarky comment he wanted to utter, the excited look on his son's face making it impossible for him to refuse. Justin would rib him endlessly after receiving his present, but the truth was, Brian couldn't wait to see the expression on his face when he handed Justin the box. His partner would probably think he was suffering a breakdown or something. Just the thought had Brian inwardly snickering. But truly, Brian couldn't deny his son anything. He hoped Gus was aware of how much of a blow to his ego he was willing to accept in order to make him happy.

Navigating through the shop, Gus marveled at each and every flower he saw. Daisies, orchids, pansies, gardenias... Brian realized his son had researched the significance of many of them, including red roses.

"Red roses represent the ‘passionate love' you feel for Justin," Gus stated confidently. "You also need yellow tulips."

"Why?" Brian questioned, his brow furrowing as he picked up a red rose, a thorn stinging his skin and making him hastily drop the flower.

"It means you're hopelessly in love," Gus revealed matter-of-factly. Brian gave his son a sharp look, while Gus stared back at him, daring his father to say otherwise.

Yet again, Brian wondered if he looked like such a romantic fool to his son. Probably, yes. "Fine," he relented, rolling his eyes. "Yellow tulips it is."

Gus grinned. 

"What is the meaning of white roses?" Brian inquired as they passed in front of a full floral container. He had always found them delicate and elegant; maybe their meaning would suit him better than ‘hopelessly in love'. 

"Purity," the florist - a twenty-something brunette - interjected. 

Okay. Maybe not.

"Justin loves golden gardenias," Brian revealed, knowing it was true. If he was doomed to buy flowers, he could at least do it right.

"Justine... she has very good taste. I can tell," the brunette simpered.

"Yeah..." Brian answered with a frown. He wasn't sure exactly what the woman meant by her comment, until she winked at him. No. Just no way he was going to be hit on by someone displaying a floral arrangement called ‘everlasting love nest' in the front window of her store. "Justin," Brian slowly enunciated his partner's name, "is wonderful. I'm so in love with him, it's ridiculous... He means the earth, the oceans, the world to me. He is the most exquisite flower I have ever met." 

"Dad, that's so beautiful," Gus praised fervently, while the brunette looked crestfallen, but thankfully ceased flirting. "I want lilies," the boy informed the woman. "Do you have any?"

"What kind of lilies?" the woman inquired, looking grateful to focus on someone other than the boy's father, Brian's profession of love for his male partner clearly having shocked her. She led the way to a different part of the shop and pointed to various flowers as she questioned Gus. "One with edible bulbs like the Tiger Lily, Panther Lily, or Orange Lily? A fragrant flower like the Japanese Golden Rayed Lily or the Canada Lily?"

"My Lily is so beautiful and so nice!" Gus proudly declared, "But also kind of shy."

"Perhaps the young lady would like some white lilies?" the saleswoman offered. "They should suit a lovely girl."

"Yes," the boy eagerly agreed. "Some of those speckled orange ones too; they're almost as pretty as Lily."

The brunette florist smiled at Gus, apparently enjoying the discussion of flowers with such a considerate little boy. She sighed dreamily, "I wish the guy with whom I've gone on two dates were as thoughtful as you."

"Do you like him?" Gus asked seriously.

"So far," the woman responded, "but he doesn't seem very romantic." She pouted a little before admitting, "He hasn't asked me to go out with him for Valentine's Day."

"Maybe you should have flowers delivered to him tomorrow," Gus suggested brightly, "and once he sees them, he'll fall head over heels in love with you."

The woman looked doubtful but murmured, "Maybe..."

Brian, who'd been lingering over the containers of red roses, almost gagged for the umpteenth time that day. Fuck, his son was giving relationship advice to the flirty nitwit of a salesgirl. What next? 

When Gus turned toward him, Brian quickly pasted an approving smile on his face, nodding in agreement with his son's choices for Lily. He was thankful to escape the shop shortly thereafter, with large bouquets for their dates, both floral arrangements supplemented with ferns and baby's breath.

After they carefully stowed the flowers in the jeep, they climbed in and Brian began driving. When his father passed the turn for his home, Gus - having surmised Brian was heading straight to the loft - vehemently protested from the backseat, "Dad, we can't take the flowers and chocolates to the loft."

Brian huffed, "Why not?" 

"Because Justin can't see them before Valentine's Day," Gus responded in irritation, obviously thinking Brian was rather dense. 

Certain his son had already made plans to prevent such a mistake, Brian heaved a resigned sigh at the apparently never-ending preparations for their date. "What do you suggest we do?" 

Gus beamed at his father, "I already asked Mom, and she said we can leave them with her. She promised to take care of the flowers."

Brian was tempted to snark that Lindsay would probably feed the chocolates to Melanie to make Gus change his mind, but he thought better of saying that to his son. 

At the next intersection, he therefore made a U-turn, and they soon arrived at the girls' home to drop off the flowers and chocolates. As he entered the house with his son, carrying the posies in his arms while Gus transported the chocolates, Brian warned a smirking Lindsay, "Not a word," grateful he didn't have to deal with Melanie, too. 

Lindsay seemingly took Brian's admonition to heart, although she never stopped grinning as she pulled out vases in which to keep the flowers fresh, filling them with water and carefully setting the bouquets on the kitchen counter under Gus's watchful eye.

"Okay! Time to go home and eat," Brian declared as he headed toward the entryway. "Tomorrow is our big day, buddy."

Lindsay stopped her friend by grabbing his arm. "Go wait for your father in the car, honey," she demanded of Gus as she opened the front door, stepping onto the porch with father and son. Gus frowned but gave her a hug and a "Love you, Mom." He then trotted toward the jeep, Brian staring after him. 

"Thank you," Lindsay murmured as Brian directed a questioning gaze at her. "I know you're doing this for Gus. And I... think you're wonderful with him, although I suspect you're enjoying this more than you let on."

Brian lifted one eyebrow, clearing his throat and gazing at Lindsay mischievously. "I promise I won't tell if you don't," he jested. They exchanged a quick kiss, Brian then stepping back and walking to the jeep to join Gus.

Lindsay watched as they drove away, a smile dancing across her lips.


The loft, 9:20 p.m...

 

"Is he asleep?" Brian asked Justin, who had just closed the door to Gus's room.

"Yeah. He went out like a light," Justin confirmed as he walked over to Brian, who was sitting at his computer a few feet away from his son's bedroom, and began rubbing the brunet's shoulders. "You wore him out."

Brian chuckled derisively as he grabbed his partner's hand and turned his chair to face him. "I wore him out? Are you kidding me?" he exclaimed with a wry grin, pulling the blond onto his lap.

"Careful," a smiling Justin cautioned. "This chair is not meant to support two people."

"It's Italian," Brian countered by way of an explanation.

"So? You think its provenance gives it more... durability?" Justin breathed out against Brian's lips.

Brian kissed him and then leaned back. "I think," more kissing, "I need you to show me how happy you are that I'm taking you on a date."

"Oh... I'm very happy," Justin replied, rolling his lips inward to keep himself from grinning.

"Yeah. I can tell you are," Brian chuckled as he felt Justin's erection against his stomach. "Thanks for dinner by the way. It was good."

"The jambalaya was delicious," Justin immediately corrected. "Ask your son. He took three servings."

"He needs stamina for what's coming tomorrow," Brian stated with a scowl. "You do realize we are going out with two eight-year-olds on Valentine's Day, and that we will undoubtedly end up surrounded by lovey-dovey sweethearts everywhere we go. I mean, this is really going to happen."

"Do you realize that ever since getting back together with you, I've become the perfect housewife, who makes dinner while waiting for his partner and his son to come home from shopping for chocolates and flowers? It's as heteronormative as it gets, and it's all your fault," Justin drawled, tremendously enjoying teasing his partner.

"Yeah, well..." Brian's hand reached for Justin's denim-covered cock. "I'm still pretty sure a straight couple can't perform a mutual blowjob."

Justin burst out laughing. "I love your devious mind, Mr. Kinney," he jested, before rising from Brian's lap. Grabbing Brian's hand, he suggested, "Come on, let's move. Your son is sleeping next door, and we don't want to wake him up, Honey." He enunciated the endearment playfully.

"Sure thing, my sweet housewife," Brian responded with a smirk, ogling Justin's ass as he followed him toward the bedroom.

 

Chapter End Notes:

(from the original posting on February 14, 2017) Reviews wanted: Brian is in desperate need of love for Valentine’s Day. The sweeter, the better. After all, it’s his favorite day of the year.