- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Justin Taylor is a struggling young 20-something actor in Hollywood who has just been offered the chance to try out for a lead role as JT in a new film which is based on a gay comic called 'Rage'. 

Justin Taylor was feeling more excited than he had in a long time. He had just heard from his agent, Sherry, and the woman was flying high. She had gotten Justin a crack at a juicy part in an upcoming production of a movie based on a popular comic book and all he had to do was audition for it. Justin had been in Hollywood for almost five years now and the best he'd done so far was land some guest shots on a couple of soap operas and a dozen bit parts in films, although one film had been a big money maker.

 

Justin had come to Hollywood with dreams of being a name actor like so many thousands before him. He didn't care about stardom so much as being respected in the business. He had sacrificed a lot to get here. His dad had been adamantly opposed to his only son's career ambitions. He had wanted his son to follow in his footsteps and join the family furniture business. Craig Taylor had even vowed to cut off financial help for college if Justin didn't drop his dreams. The threat failed.

 

Justin decided to leave his home in Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania and move to Hollywood. He stared his father down that last day and told the man that he could take his threats and shove them. He would make it on his own. Five years later he was still struggling, working every petty job he could get his hands on to pay the bills, and trying to build up a reputation as a skilled actor. This new part was the first time that he had been offered a lead and he would give the audition his very best in hopes of snagging the role. An added incentive to getting the part would be the chance to go on location which would be in Pittsburgh, less than ten minutes driving time from Justin's home town. He missed his Mom, who had secretly been sending him care packages for years now, and his younger sister Molly. He hadn't spoken a word to his Dad in so long that missing him was another story.

 

Justin also missed his old friends back home. He hadn't been that close to too many of his peers but there was one in particular, Daphne, whom he missed a great deal. She had been his girlfriend all through high school. They had promised not to let the distance break them up but, of course, it didn't work out that way. Daphne had started dating others in a little less than six months, but Justin didn't hold it against her. Truth was, he adored Daph but he really didn't have a desire to settle down with her...at least not for a long time. Justin hadn't found anyone else he wanted to date in Tinseltown. He told himself that it was because everyone was so shallow, but the truth was that no one attracted him. He was just too damned busy trying to establish himself to worry about getting involved with anyone.

 

Justin stepped back into the Celluloid Diner after finishing the last puff of his cigarette break. He wanted more than anything to tell greasy Phil, the owner of the joint, that he quit because he finally had a good part in a movie, but he knew from bitter experience that it was better not to count his chickens too soon. He'd hold his tongue for now, but if the gods were on his side, he'd be seeing the last of this place very soon. He was grateful to have found the place since his last job fired him for taking too much time off to audition, but Phil was a creep who had a bad habit of rubbing up against Justin's backside every time he came back to the washing area of the kitchen. It gave Justin the willies, but he needed the job too bad right now to complain out loud. It wasn't that Justin cared that Phil was gay...he'd been hit on since arriving in Hollywood by plenty of folks, both male and female...it was just Phil himself that made Justin sick.

 

The minute Justin got off work he headed straight for his tiny cramped apartment in West Hollywood. A fellow actor had told him about the apartment less than a week after he had arrived in town. It had been a blessing since Justin really didn't have a lot of funds to get him by before he found his first job and staying in the motel, even his super cheap one, was a lot more money out of his pocket than getting the apartment. It hadn't taken Justin long to figure out that nearly, if not all, his neighbors were gay but it didn't matter to him. He quickly became expert in brushing off their many advances and keeping to himself.

 

Once he had settled into his overstuffed easy chair that he had gotten for hardly anything at a local thrift store, Justin cracked open a cold beer and picked up his phone. He had kept in touch with Daphne, even though it had been a lot less frequent since she had fallen in love with a fellow Med student, and he was dying to tell her about the audition. She might even know something about the story behind the comic book since it was published in Pittsburgh. Maybe she could even find him a copy to read, unless he found it on-line first. Every little bit of info would help him next week when he kept the appointment with the casting director.

 

Daphne picked up on the second ring. "Hey, Babe, I was just thinking about you." Her voice was filled with happiness.

 

"What's up, kiddo? You sound like the cat that ate the canary." Justin had never heard her happier.

 

"Even better, my dear friend. I just finished the last of exams for the year. And...."

 

"Well that certainly sounds like a reason to celebrate."

 

"You didn't let me finish. As I was about to say, I also have some news for you."

 

"So tell me."

 

"Well! I told you about Gary, my lab partner, right? Well he wanted to help me celebrate so he took me to dinner at a really cool place downtown and then....oh man, you won't believe it!"

 

"Damn, girl, you'd better tell me before you bust."

 

"Okay, okay! Now get this! He asked me to marry him!!!" Daphne screamed the last part.

 

Justin was speechless for a second. He felt happy for his best friend, but oddly depressed. He hadn't even had a date in forever and she was going to be walking down the aisle. He shook off the feeling and put on his cheeriest tone.

 

"That's fantastic, Daph! So when's the big day?"

 

"Geez, Justin. He just asked. We still have internships to get through first. Besides, I'm waiting for you to become a huge star so I can have you come to the wedding. Then I can show you off to everybody," she giggled.

 

"Well then, I hope Gary isn't in too big a hurry. Oh, but that's why I called. I have an audition in a few days with a casting director and the part is a big one...a lead. And listen to this...the movie will be shot in Pittsburgh."

 

Justin's eardrum ached when Daphne let out a shrill scream.

 

"Oh man, Justin! You've got to get the part. We can really spend some time together if you do."

 

"Whoa, girl! We'll be able to see each other, but don't forget I'll be working."

 

"So, what's the part?"

 

"I don't have all the details yet. I know the film is based on a gay comic strip called "Rage" and I play the victim of a gay bashing. That's about it so far. Listen, I was thinking...maybe you could see if you could get your hands on a copy of the comic. The thing is published right there in Pittsburgh where the author lives. If I had a copy I might be able to get a better feel for the part."

 

"Not a prob, kiddo. I'll let you know as soon as I check it out."

 

The friends continued to make small talk for a little longer and then said their good byes. Justin was feeling even more excited about the prospects with the new role by the time he moved over to the ricketdy old desk that held his second hand computer. He logged on quickly and googled 'Rage, the comic book'. A page popped up seconds later and Justin clicked on the main link. The screen was suddenly filled with a picture of the cover of the comic book.

 

Justin stared at the tall muscular man in a black mask and skin hugging silver tights. He looked fierce, but there was something about the eyes. They were hypnotic. Justin had seen plenty of attractive hunks and empty headed but well built men in the last five years. Not a single one had caught Justin's attention in any way. But there was something definitely appealing about this Rage character. Justin couldn't put his finger on it, but he found it hard to look away from the screen.

 

After a few more minutes of oogling, Justin laughed out loud and shook his head. "Well! If the cover captured my attention this strongly, maybe the movie has a chance of being a huge hit," he mused out loud. Justin then clicked on the 'Buy it Now' button and placed his order. He clicked on the 'Expedited Delivery' key on the order form. It would raise the price several dollars but he was guaranteed delivery in two to three days. The sooner the better, he decided. This was no time to count pennies. The order completed, Justin went to his kitchen and rummaged around for leftovers. He'd be eating leftovers snuck out of the diner for a little while to pay for the comic. He just prayed it was a good investment.

 

That night, Justin crashed in his tiny twin bed. The frame had been discovered in the back of a furniture store near the mammoth trash can. Justin had used his expertise learned at his Dad's furniture store to fix the cracked frame. His Mom had given him a brand new mattress as a Birthday gift his first year in the apartment. The mattress was still comfortable even after all this time and he snuggled under the covers. An hour later Justin was softly snoring as he began to dream about flying super heroes wearing incredibly sexy tights with impressive bulges in all the right places. The young man was so exhausted from his busy day that he didn't even wake up to see the impressive boner that he had developed. It was the first wet dream he'd had since his teens. But it wouldn't be his last.

 

To be continued....