- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian realizes he can't wait any longer to tell Justin the whole story behind his father's deeds.  He loves him too much to keep him in the dark.

When Brian exited the bathroom of the bungalow he shared with Justin, he hadn't a clue what he was going to tell his lover. The talk with his detective, Monty, convinced Brian that he had to come clean with Justin right away about the full story concerning his father. He was surprised Justin's mom or best friend hadn't called already to inform him of the arrest warrant out on Craig Taylor. He suspected they had been hesitant to call for the same reason that he had avoided telling Justin the entire story regarding his father. No one who loved Justin wanted to see the pain that would most assuredly be in his eyes when he discovered the truth. But he knew he couldn't stall any longer. Justin had to know, as a precaution, if nothing else. Craig Taylor had obviously lost it somewhere along the line in all this mess. No telling what he had in mind for the future.

 

Brian went out into the living area and could see that Justin's art supplies and easel were missing from the corner where he had stashed them. He saw that the sliding glass door to the patio was standing open, letting in the cool breezes of the mid-morning air. He stepped out onto the cobbled patio and saw Justin sitting on the stone bench under a small palm tree. He had his easel set up in front of him and his paints splayed out beside him on the bench, with a jar of water on the other side waiting to be used to clean brushes. He had a clear view of some of the fabulous gardens that surrounded the separate bungalows of the hotel, and Brian was fairly certain what he intended to draw. He smiled momentarily when he thought of how much Justin loved the beauty of Mother Nature. He was multi-talented, this boyfriend of his, doing a wonderful job with both scenery and the human form. The smile died quickly when he remembered why he hadn't gone shopping yet.

 

Justin must have heard Brian's footsteps because he turned suddenly and threw his trademark smile in his lover's direction. The smile faded quickly when he saw the look on Brian's face. He quickly set aside the brushes he was preparing and got up to join Brian, who stood in front of the patio door looking grim.

 

"Brian, what's wrong?" he asked, reaching for the tall man's arm.

 

Brian's instinct was to come up with some flippant remark and stall for more time, but he dismissed the notion quickly. He had to give Justin a warning... prepare him for what was probably coming. He gave a deep sigh and led Justin by the arm over to the other stone bench across from the palm tree. The men were shaded on their patio and out of sight of prying eyes. Brian took a deep breath and opened up.

 

"Justin, I have something to tell you and I really don't know how to start."

 

Justin reached his hand up to Brian's face. He laid his palm against his lover's cheek and gently caressed the firm jaw.

 

"You know there isn't anything you can't say to me Brian. Are you feeling alright? Please don't tell me you're having second thoughts about me moving back to Pittsburgh. I don't think I could handle that."

 

Brian grabbed Justin and held him close to his heart.

 

"For God's sake, Justin, of course I'm not having second thoughts. This isn't about you and me... well, not really. I mean it is in a way, but I've never been more sure of anything or anyone in my life. Don't ever wonder whether I want you with me in Pittsburgh."

 

"Then what is it about? I can see it's really bothering you. Just tell me what it is... please!"

 

"Okay. I'll give it to you straight. You deserve to know everything I know. The truth is, Sunshine, that there is a lot more going on with your old man than just his keeping an eye on us. I had my suspicions from the beginning, but I didn't want to say anything until I was absolutely sure."

 

"Absolutely sure about what?"

 

"About... well, about who might be behind the bombing of the movie studio."

 

Justin's face visibly darkened. Brian hesitated, but he knew he had to go on. It was too late to turn back now.

 

"It just felt out of sync to me that your father suddenly wanted to have lunch with you out of the clear blue on the very same day, and same time as the bomb was set to go off. It stank of prior knowledge. I wasn't about to accuse him of anything with no proof of course, or burden you with my suspicions."

 

"And now?"

 

"Now, apparently there is proof. I don't know all the details yet, but... oh God Justin, I'm so sorry. The police have an arrest warrant out on your dad and he is on the run. They don't even know where he is right now. They think France, but they are not really sure."

 

Brian paused. He wanted to wrap Justin in his arms again, but there was something about the way he sat there like an immovable statue that held Brian back. It was as if the beautiful flesh and blood blond had turned into unfeeling stone. Before Brian could feel panic, Justin snapped out of it.

 

"Are you absolutely sure? Oh fuck, of course you're sure. You wouldn't have said anything if you weren't. You knew how much I loved Dad, or at least the dad I grew up with. You wanted to protect me. You didn't have to do that Brian. I knew something was wrong about that lunch date from the very beginning, but.... hell, who wants to think their parent could be so cruel. I don't know what's happened to him."

 

Justin couldn't say anything more for a moment. He looked up at Brian with pleading eyes. There was an unnatural brightness in his eyes as moisture gathered in the corners. Unshed tears glinted in the morning sun.

 

"Is it my fault, Brian? Did I do this to him? Did I push him over the edge by handling everything all wrong? I just wanted to be myself for the first time in my life. I can't help who I am. I don't want to help it. Why can't he love me for the man I am?"

 

This time the tears couldn't stay still any longer. They began to drop down onto the actor's cheeks and lead a slow trail to his quivering chin. A pain so deep it took Brian's breath away stabbed at the older man's chest. He couldn't bear seeing Justin hurt so badly... and even worse, blaming himself. Brian gathered Justin tightly against him. He could hear the almost silent tears as they fell unimpeded down Justin's face and onto Brian's chest. If Craig Taylor had shown his face at that moment, the man would have been gasping for his last breath. Brian had hated his own father for more years than he could remember, but he had never felt this kind of anger before. He forced himself to calm down as he held tightly to his clinging lover. Brian waited patiently until he could tell that Justin had also calmed enough. He then set the blond away from him without letting go of his shoulders.

 

"Justin, I want you to listen to me. Are you listening carefully?" The young man nodded. "This is very important. First, do you believe I would never lie to you?" Another nod of assent. "Then you have to believe what I'm telling you. You are not to blame for any of this mess. Not one ounce of it. Only one man is responsible for your father's deeds, and that's your father. Even if Craig Taylor didn't approve or accept his son being gay, he didn't have to risk the lives of others in reaction to the news. Parents get this news every day all over the world and they don't go out and set off a bomb because of it, or have someone else do it."

 

"Your old man could have cut you out of his life, like mine did. It would have been painful for you, but certainly a more appropriate response. You have to wonder what the hell he was trying to accomplish in the first place. Doesn't matter why he did it. The point is the police say they have the evidence to prove he did it, and he has surely sealed that decision by running away. And like I said Justin, you are not.... I repeat, not to blame for any of this. Do you believe me?"

 

Justin sat still in Brian's outstretched hands. Brian could feel the blond shaking ever so slightly, but he then felt Justin straightening his back just a tad bit. Justin reached forward and placed his hands on each side of Brian's face. He moved in and placed his salty cold lips against Brian's. They quickly warmed up as Brian gathered Justin against his chest again and worked Justin's mouth. The kiss that started so tender quickly gathered force as Justin reminded himself why he was so happy to be a gay man. The feel of Brian's lips, as they pressed firmly onto his own, brought Justin a renewed strength and determination to live his life the way it was meant to be lived.

 

He couldn't hate his father. It wasn't in him, but he felt pity for the man. He detested what his dad had done, and he wasn't sure if he could ever forgive him, but he knew the man would pay for his actions. He was already paying. He had lost the respect of his children, wife, family, community. He was on the run, with no real friends. Even if he never went to jail, his father had lost everything. The company he was so proud of building from nothing would quite possibly fail, but even if it didn't, there was no one to care anymore. Besides all that, he would have the deaths of a number of innocent people on his conscience for the rest of his life.

 

Justin had no idea what his dad thought he would accomplish with his sick deed, but if he thought it would destroy his son's relationship with Brian, he had never been more wrong. Brian had proven how loyal and loving he could be, thanks to Craig's actions, and Justin would never forget it... anymore than he could ever forget Brian himself. He loved Brian more this minute than he ever had. Justin also had no idea whether his dad was through with his insanity or whether he was a future threat, but he did know that whatever Craig Taylor threw at the two of them they would handle it together. He felt entirely safe lying here against Brian's body. He knew that his lover would do everything humanly possible to protect him, as would Justin for Brian's sake. His father's hate could never equal that.

 

To be continued....................