- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

WARNINGS FOR ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT AND MENTION OF MURDER AMONGST DUCKS AND GEESE. That is the strangest warning I have ever posted. Study up on ducks and geese and you will understand.

 

 

 

Days pass and they get nowhere. The flyers and billboards go unanswered and the Liberty Avenue manhunt comes up empty. Although Ben put in the police report, he hadn’t gotten any word from them except to come in and identify a body. Brian had kept a shaky arm around him as they pulled the white sheet down. When it turned out to be someone else, Ben had shaken his head before clutching his chest and bursting into tears. Whether it was the relief or the fear not knowing that brought it on, he wasn’t sure. Brian had taken him out of the room and let him sit in the hall while Emmett, Ted, and Blake took turns patting him on the back, promising him they would find Michael.

 

But it had been two days. Wouldn’t Michael have called if he were alive? What if his high temperature caused brain damage and he didn’t know who he was anymore? But that didn’t seem right. With as sick as he was, he couldn’t have gotten far. So, even if that were the case, people who would have seen him probably would have seen the flyers and news announcements and figured out that he wasn't in his right mind. It was completely implausible that he would not be found. The only possibilities were that he was either dead or being held against his will. Maybe some sick fuck saw him out of his head on the street and decided to take advantage of him. Lured him into their car and now had him tied up, sick and probably dying in some shack. Hurting him. Torturing him. Raping him. Doing whatever they fucking please while his husband is hurting, scared, confused, ill, and alone. Or maybe that wasn’t it. Maybe some way Michael made it down to the river, fell in, and drowned. Those are the only two scenarios that Ben can think of that would excuse Michael for not calling-

 

Ben lets out a deep sob. It hurts so much not knowing. Brian, who Ben knows is hurting too, comes over, squats down in front of him, and puts his hands on his arms.

 

“Hey,” Brian says softly, “Ben. Look at me.”

 

Ben sniffles, wipes his eyes, and tries to look at his husband’s best friend without breaking again.

 

“Come on. You’ve been so strong these past couple of days. You can’t break now. I know going in that morgue was fucking scary. God, I felt like losing it myself before they uncovered the body. But it wasn’t him. You hear me? It wasn’t him. He’s still out there. He’s not in here. We’ve just gotta keep looking, okay? Debbie and Carl will be back tomorrow evening. If the billboards and the flyers aren’t getting anyone’s attention then your mother-in-law’s loud as fuck shriek surely will.”

 

Ben manages some form of a chuckle through the tears and tries to pull himself together.

 

“It’s going to be okay, baby,” Emmett tells him with a shaky voice, “Michael is strong. We’ll find him and he’ll make a full recovery. That’s what we need to keep telling ourselves.”

 

Ben sighs and stands up, “Alright. We should spread even further out. We can all cover some ground. I’ll go ahead and do Oakland. Brian, you do Shadyside. Emmett, you can cover the Strip District. Ted, Blake? Maybe you can cover Squirrel Hill.”

 

“Got it,” Ted says as he takes Blake’s hand.

 

The five of them begin walking down the hall but Ben feels Brian pull him back.

 

“We can’t keep putting off telling Linds and Mel,” he mutters, “They need to know and so does Hunter.”

 

Ben grips his hair, “I know that. I know. I just don’t want to worry Hunter and JR if I don’t have to. I can’t tell JR that her daddy-...that her daddy is missing and we don’t know where he is. And Hunter? He’s gone through so much already and is finally in a place in his life where he’s happy and striving. Michael being missing and sick would devastate him.”

 

Brian stares at him with something akin to pity before shaking his head, “I’ll let you wait until tonight. They should be here when Debbie comes home. JR and Hunter need to be here for you and for her. You’re telling them or I will. We all need the support.”

 

Ben knows he’s right so he gives in, “Okay. We can tell them tonight. Have you called Justin to let him know?”

 

Brian looks upset by the question for a second before shaking his head, “No. Why would I tell him? There’s nothing he can do from New York.”

 

“He could come in and be there for his boyfriend or fiancè or whatever you two-”

 

“I said no,” Brian says forcefully, leaving no argument, “You want me going to Shadyside, right?”

 

“...Yeah, Brian. That sounds good.”

 

Brian nods then says, “I’ll come by later to check on you.”

 

Before Ben can say anything else, Brian takes off down the hall. Maybe he should just let him go on ahead. Brian was his ride here but he can just get Emmett to take him home to get his car.

 

“What crawled up his ass and died?” Emmett asks, hanging back with Ben.

 

“His best friend is missing,” Ben admits, as much as it pains him to.

 

Emmett winces at the words but shakes his head, “Yeah, but he’s been pretty good and level-headed with this whole search. He didn’t get all pissy and upset until you mentioned Justin. Do you think there is trouble in paradise?”

 

Ben growls, “I don’t know, Emmett. Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely hope things are great between them. But I honestly can’t bring myself to care right now. Not everything has to revolve around them.”

 

“You’re right. Michael needs to be our main focus. And we’ll find him. Remember what I said, Ben. Positive thoughts.”

 

Positive thoughts. That is what he’s aimed for ever since the anger after his diagnosis calmed down a little. It’s why he practically threw himself into Buddhism. Positive thoughts, positive vibes, peace, and goodwill towards others were all things he has gone by for the past several years.

 

He just had to remind himself of it sometimes.

 

“Positive thoughts,” Ben mutters trying to get into the right state of mind, “Okay. I’m good. We’ll find him. Can you give me a ride back to the house so I can get my car? I think Brian needs some time by himself.”

 

“Of course. Come on, I’m not parked far.”

 

Ben follows his friend out to the parking lot and tells the rest of the group to meet at the house around 8. Ben takes a glance at Brian who is leaning against the corvette with a hand to his stomach, eyes shut with stress and exhaustion.

 

“You alright, Bri?” Ted asks, noticing Brian’s pose as well.

 

Brian takes a couple of breaths before opening his eyes to look at the group, “I’m fine. I’ll meet you at your house at 8, Ben.”

 

Brian gets into his car without another word and drives off. Not knowing what else to say or do, Ben gets in Emmett’s car while Ted and Blake drive to Squirrel Hill.

 

Positive thoughts. He has to keep those positive thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The duck watches from behind a tree as his slump-shouldered husband gets the car keys from the house and makes his way to the car. God, he wants to go with him. He wants to the be there for him, hold his hand in his wing and quack that everything is going to be okay.

 

The duck sighs, which releases a quack, and Ben turns at the sound. Michael quickly makes sure he’s hidden and Ben looks suspicious before he shakes his head and gets in the car to drive off.

 

He thinks about following him. Flying above his car and making sure he had company, even if he can’t appreciate it right now. But, as his stomach growls, he knows he has to take care of himself right now. He hasn’t eaten in two days. He had hoped that Ben would subconsciously catch on, figure out that there’s more to him that meets the eye, and throw a couple of pieces of bread out for him to eat but no such luck. He realizes that Ben doesn’t want to encourage him to stay. That he thinks he’s just a nuisance duck who has lost his way from the brace. But even if that were true, he is one of God’s creatures! Surely the man he married has a heart. He thinks, if circumstances were different and no one was missing, Ben would think the duck in their yard was adorable and let it hang around. Why can’t he just keep that part of himself for a few minutes? Maybe then he would be able to convince Ben.

 

But he can’t. His husband is too lost in his pain.

 

With no other choice, Michael launches off and flies towards Riverfront Park. It’s a nice day. Maybe someone decided to feed the ducks there.

 

When Michael spots the park and a gathering of ducks, he swoops down a couple of yards away and silently watches them.

 

“Yo, Joey!” one of the ducks days, waddling over to his friend, “Your mama’s so fat. She waddles instead of walks!”

 

“OH!!!!” the duck’s entourage calls out, impressed by the insult.

 

“We all waddle, Frank,” Joey mutters, “Every single one of us. Dumbass.”

 

Frank huffs and quacks in offense, “Well...well….She waddles WORSE than the rest of us!”

 

Joey just rolls his eyes and waddles over to a female duck, nuzzling her.

 

“Look at that pussy,” Frank says in disgust, “He’s not a real mallard. Romancing his chick. Being a father. Real men pull them underwater when they least expect it and give them the surprise of their life.”

 

Michael feels his eyes widen at the horrific statement but then realizes that this is standard male duck behavior. He read an article once about how rape was so ingrained in some species of ducks and geese that their penises are evolving in ways to aid in their crimes and that at least one-third of duck sex is forced. He’s pretty sure it was something Ted sent him. Why it stuck out to him to the point that he remembers the details, he doesn’t know.

 

“Look at that bitch over there,” Frank says, “How about we tag team her?”

 

Michael feels alarm when he hears the suggestion and even more so when the four ducks run for the female.

 

“Get away!” the female duck yells as she starts to run, “Don’t touch me!”

 

“Don’t be like that, Betty!” Frank mocks as he jumps on her, “Just enjoy the ride. Or rides. We all need a turn, you know.”

 

That’s when Michael knows he has to help her.

 

“GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM HER!!!” He quacks, attacking the group.

 

A bunch of what the fucks and get offs are quacked with outrage as the group disperses. Betty gets up, huffs out a quack, and turns to look at Michael.

 

“Thank you so much,” she tells him sincerely, waddling over, “I know it’s to be expected, being a female duck and all, but you don’t know how many nightmares I have about having chicks with a monster. I want to wait for someone special, you know?”

 

“I understand completely,” Michael quacks to her seriously, “I can’t imagine the fear you go through day after day. You SHOULDN’T have to expect that. Ducks like that don’t deserve to live.”

 

“I would love to agree but if we took out those ducks, our species would die,” Betty shrugs, “That’s how many of us are products of such circumstances. But we do feel grateful to have ducks like you,Joey, Bernard, and Hubert. You kind of guys are the reason we keep our hope alive. What’s your name?”

 

“It’s Michael,” Michael tells her, relieved that he can finally talk to someone who understands what he's saying, “My name is Michael.”

 

“I’m Betty,” Betty informs him, batting her duck eyelashes, “Do you have a wife, Michael?”

 

“Uh...no.”

 

“Well, I don’t have a husband. I’ve never met a duck like you who is single yet so good. Usually guys like you get taken up quickly. If you want to go behind that tree over there-”

 

“I don’t think that’s the best idea-”

 

“You think there is something wrong with my friend here, Michael?” a female with a light Spanish accent accuses, coming to stand next to Betty.

 

“What? No! No, of course not. She’s a very pretty and sweet duck. I just-”

 

“Then what’s the problem?”

 

“Apollonia, please! You are NOT helping,” Betty fumes at her friend.

 

“Excuse me for wanting to see you happy,” Apollonia quacks, “I just don’t see why he wouldn’t want to start a family with a beautiful duck like you.”

 

“I...I don’t know why. Michael? Is there something wrong with me?” Betty asks, sadness lacing her quacks.

 

“No, it isn’t that,” Michael sighs.

 

“Then why don’t you want to get with her?” Apollonia presses.

 

“Because I have a partner,” he admits, “Not a wife but a husband. I’m gay.”

 

The background noise of quacking stops and only the sound of breathing can be heard.

 

“Oh. Okay!” Betty exclaims and the rest of the ducks are chipper again.

 

“...That’s it?” Michael asks, “No one here has a problem with it?”

 

The ducks get confused looks on their faces and Betty says, “What? You like who you like. We’ve all fucked a couple of ducks of the same sex. It’s only natural. Now, most of us aim for partners of a different gender to have children and because we sort of sway that way but not all of us. I don’t see how you don’t already know that.”

 

Michael feels relief flood through his duckish body, “That...That means so much to me. It’s so wonderful to see how accepting and open you all are, even if rape is a huge part of your culture.”

 

“Don’t you mean our culture?” Apollonia asks, suspicious.

 

“Well, I don’t like homos,” a female duck quacks, raising her husky voice, “I don’t trust them.”

 

“Not this again,” another duck sighs.

 

“Shut up, Hubert. It needs to be said,” the duck snaps.

 

“Georgina, do we have to do this now?” Betty sighs.

 

“Yes.”

 

“...Fine. Go on. Tell your story. Again.”

 

Georgina clears her throat with a strangled sounding quack and starts her tale.

 

“I knew a Greylag Goose. Her name was Marietta. Beautiful goose. Smart too. She could speak Duck fluently and got along with everyone. She’d protect my brace of ducks when we were living in Virginia from the male mallards. She was a lot bigger than them so we only mated when we wanted to mate, not due to being forced.”

 

Georgina lets out a pained quack before continuing.

 

“There was a very small gaggle of Greylags in the area but she hadn’t mated with any of them. She wasn’t interested since she lost her mate early on. The way she spoke of him...you could tell they were in love. But Marietta was out for adventure by the time I met her. She experienced the monogamous type of love so she was open to other living situations. Another gaggle of Greylags, a much larger gaggle, flew to the lake we used to call home and these two new males took an interest in her. But they weren’t fighting over her. They were pursuing her together. Romancing her, bringing her treats from other lakes and rivers for her to eat. They told her that they loved her and asked if she would be open to being a part of a ménage à trois. Marietta had witnessed less traditional relationships working out before and she loved both of them so she said yes. They made love that night and she was impregnated by both of them. Five of the eggs were Jonathan’s and the other six were Lamar’s. As soon as they made sure she laid all of the eggs, they beat the shit out of her. They told her that they never loved her and they used her so they could have a family of their own. They threatened her and told her that they would kill her if she ever came near their children. She tried to visit them. She tried to reason with Lamar and Jonathan. But eventually the whole new gaggle turned on her and her gaggle. They had more in numbers and were a lot stronger. A lot of geese died that day, Marietta being one of them. All because a couple of assholes who can’t appreciate a good female were only into each other.”

 

The ducks in the area stay silent at the story, even Frank and his cronies out in the parking lot.

 

“Well, I wouldn’t do that,” Michael quacks in explanation, “I share custody with my daughter’s two mothers. We had some disagreements in the past. None of us are proud of that time in our lives. But we all love Jenny Rebecca and she has four doting parents.”

 

“...You only have one child?” Betty chokes out, “What happened to the rest of them? Did they not hatch? Did a coyote get them? Oh, Michael. I’m so sorry-”

 

Michael winces when he realizes his slip and can only offer, “It’s a long story. But we have two children total. My husband and I adopted our son.”

 

The ducks murmur in approval before Apollonia says, “I appreciate a duck who can raise a child who isn’t related to him by blood. It proves how good they are.”

 

Michael feels a little pride, “We love Hunter. He’s all grown up now. We miss him but still see him every couple of months and talk to him on the phone.”

 

The ducks freeze and stare at him in bewilderment.

 

“I’m sorry, I thought I heard you say you talk to him on the phone,” Georgina chokes out.

 

“Uh...no, I didn’t?”

 

“Who are you really?” Hubert asks him.

 

Michael lets out a sigh and gives in.

 

My name is Michael Novotny. And, until the other day, I was a human being. I lived in a house with my husband and made dinner for my friends. I owned a comic book store, slept in a bed, watched television, and wore clothes. God, I wish Ben would have looked behind the bushes. He would have seen where my clothes had fallen. I don’t know what else to do. I am alone. I’m hungry. I want my husband and children back.”

 

The ducks stare at him in shock before Betty clears her throat.

 

“Well..that’s an interesting story, Michael. Are you sure you’re not getting delirious due to being so hungry?”

 

Michael sighs, “No, Betty. As hungry as I am, I don’t think it can make me imagine a whole different life as a different species.”

 

Apollonia purses her bill, “...We want to believe you. But it’s just really far fetched.”

 

“Believe me, I know it is. But it’s the complete truth.”

 

The ducks look at each other and Betty speaks, “Then we’ll help you. You saved me from Frank and his friends. It’s the least we can do. You proved that you are a good duck- I mean, man. But first, we will teach you how to get bread.”

 

Michael feels relief as he follows his new friends down the trail to a little girl throwing pieces of bread out for other ducks. As Betty tells him who to fight, when to accept his losses, and which circumstances it’s acceptable to act cute and get close to the human, he realizes that it’s the first time in two days he’s felt like he’s had a little support.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben wakes up and looks over at the empty space next to him. He bites his lip before closing his eyes and cuddling into Michael’s pillow. He breathes in the very subtle scent that Michael left behind and prays to whoever is listening that his husband comes back home safe.

 

He goes downstairs and turns on the coffee pot. Brian is still asleep on the couch, a frown in place and his hands over his belly. He crosses his arms around his abdomen and lets out a whimper. Shit. He’s having a nightmare. Ben can’t let the man suffer in his sleep, even if they all need a little shut eye.

 

"Brian," Ben says softly, "Hey. it's just a dream. It's okay."

 

Brian sits up, eyes wide and breathing heavily. He looks down, rubs his belly a few times while he looks down at it, then gets up to rush to the bathroom.

 

Ben winces when he hears the retching on the other side of the door.

 

"Brian?" Ben calls out, "You alright?"

 

"...Fine. Brian manages to respond.

 

"You need anything?"

 

"Do...do you have an extra toothbrush? And a glass of water?"

 

"...Yeah, Brian. Of course. I will go get you a glass. Just open the door so I can come in and get a toothbrush out of the closet."

 

He hears Brian groan in response so Ben just takes it as an okay.

 

Ben goes to the kitchen and pours Brian water from the tap before coming into the bathroom. Brian's sitting on the floor and lifts a hand up for the cup so Ben hands it over and grabs a toothbrush from the small closet into the bathroom.

 

"I'm going to leave this on the sink," Ben tells him, "How sick are you? Do I need to take you to the doctor?"

 

"I'm not sick," Brian sighs after he flushes the toilet and takes a drink.

 

"...Brian, you just threw up."

 

"And now I'm fine," Brian brushes off, standing up to put toothpaste on the brush.

 

"...Maybe you should take it easy today. You could stay here while we look. If someone stops by the house, like Michael, then you'll be here-"

 

"I'm FINE," Brian snaps before forcing himself to calm down, "I have more flyers to pick up from Kinnetik anyway. And I have to run to all of the local stations to make sure the ads run every hour until I say they stop. I want to do all of that before we go and spend hours at the airport, waiting for everyone to get here. So go get ready."

 

Ben gives up on fighting Brian. He knows the man is too stubborn to argue with and, even if he wasn't, Brian is wanting to do things that will help find Michael. It may not be best for a man who is obviously coming down with a stomach bug, but Ben needs to find his husband.

 

So he gets ready and, by the time he has his clothes on and is looking somewhat presentable, Brian is looking almost as good as new. He hopes he is as good as new. He doesn't need another person disappearing on him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Michael eats once more with his new friends, he decides it's time to go and keep an eye on Ben. Of course, his friends want to go too.

 

"Oh, we just have to meet him!" Apollonia quacks cheerfully, "He sounds so nice."

 

"And we have to tell him how lucky he is to have a husband like you!" Betty tells him with a quackish sigh, "He deserves to know he is married to a hero!"

 

"I would love to talk shop with another guy. I'm always hanging out with all these girls," Hubert tells him seriously.

 

"Let us meet the fucker," Georgina quacks forcefully.

 

Michael feels like laughing at them but holds it in. He knows they mean well but if Ben is annoyed by one duck in the yard, he would probably be even more annoyed by 5. Then again, it’s nice to have people...or ducks, to turn to.

 

“...Okay. You can come. But if I tell you to lay low, you do it. Ben is very upset right now. He doesn’t know that I am like this and thinks I’m missing. I overheard him say he was picking up my mom and some of our family so they’ll probably head to her house. We can wait outside and get their attention from there. Be good.”

 

“Don’t talk to us like we’re animals,” Georgina huffs, “We’re not dogs.”

 

Michael sighs. He and Georgina need to work on their communication if this is going to be a lasting friendship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emmett, Ted, Blake, and even Cynthia have promised to continue the search as Ben and Brian head to the airport to meet everyone. They sit in their seats as they wait there nervously. Hunter is going to be in the lobby any minute so hopefully Ben can take some comfort in his son’s presence.

 

On cue, Hunter comes through the sliding doors and Ben jumps up. When Hunter spots him, he’s surprised when his son quickly walks over and wraps him in a long, tight hug. He’s less surprised when he slaps him in the arm.

 

“You should have told me as soon as he went AWOL!” Hunter fumes, waiting for Ben to answer.

 

“...I know. I’m sorry. I just...I really didn’t want to worry you if I didn’t have to. I was hoping we would be able to find him more quickly than this,” Ben admits.

 

Hunter swallows as he looks away, “We need to find him. I...I can’t lose my-”

 

“We will,” Ben tells him, seeing Hunter’s distress, “We’ll find him.”

 

Hunter nods and hugs him again before looking at Brian.

 

“You look a little different,” Hunter says, squinting.

 

Ben raises his eyebrows when Brian shifts in his seat, looks away, then covers up his discomfort by saying, “Hotter than usual?”

 

Hunter barks out a laugh, “That must be it. Who else are we waiting on?”

 

“The girls, JR, Gus, Debbie, and Carl,” Ben tells him, “Linds and Mel should be in with the kids in about forty five minutes. They are arriving at gate F so it isn’t that far. We’ll have to run across the terminal for Debbie and Carl though.”

 

And so they wait. JR runs to him and Ben picks her up and holds her close to him when she gets in and Brian does the same with Gus, although he doesn’t pick him up since Gus is 8 years old and just hit a growth spurt.

 

“How are you doing?” Lindsay asks, putting a hand on his arm.

 

“Not that great,” he admits, “A little better now that the kids are here but I just want Michael back.”

 

“We can’t imagine what you’re feeling right now. We’re out of our minds with worry but for you-”

 

“It feels like a huge chunk of me is missing,” Ben finishes softly, “This is the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life.”

 

“We need to go get Debbie,” Brian reminds them quietly.

 

So they each get a suitcase and start to walk at a brisk pace. Ben has JR balanced on his hip as he drags her suitcase from behind and he’s so glad that they are almost done getting everyone, even if he will have to deal with Debbie freaking out over her son’s disappearance. They will have more in numbers, cover more ground, and will be able to find Michael. Nothing is going to get in their way from getting out of this airport as quickly as possible-

 

That is, until Brian runs into Justin Taylor.

 

Ben sees Brian look at him with wide eyes before glaring at the young man.

 

“What are you doing here?” Brian asks him gruffly, “I told you we were done.”

 

“You’re a fucking asshole,” Justin seethes, “Linds and Mel told me that Michael was missing when I called to talk to Gus. My collaborator. Your best friend. He’s missing. And you didn’t even think to tell me?”

 

“There’s nothing you can do!” Brian tells his (former) lover harshly, “I don’t want you here and we have enough people around. So go on back to New York.”

 

“Fuck you, Brian! You have no right to say I can’t be here just like you had no right to end our relationship out of nowhere five days ago! If you won’t let me be here for you then I want to be here for Debbie and Ben.”

 

“Dad?” Gus asks sadly, “Are you and Jus broken up?”

 

Brian doesn’t answer his son and just takes his hand in his, as though he is both seeking and giving comfort.

 

“Guys?” Ben prompts, “I’m sorry for whatever is going on between the two of you but we really need to go wait for Debbie and Carl.”

 

“I’m coming with you,” Justin says, rolling his suitcase alongside Ben’s.

 

“Justin. Justin! Just go,” Brian starts to yell.

 

“Sorry, Brian. Can’t hear you. Ben, how are you holding up?”

 

Ben sighs. He’s glad Justin’s here, don’t get him wrong. But he could do without the drama the two men tend to bring.

 

“It’s been hard. Brian’s been sleeping out on the couch though. He’s been very thoughtful of making sure I don’t feel too alone when it comes to all of this.”

 

“If only he could have that courtesy for everyone,” Justin mutters under his breath, “Oh, look. There’s Debbie and Carl.”

 

Ben braces himself for his emotional mother-in-law once he sees her running mascara and slightly crooked red wig. He knows she has to be a mess.

 

“Ben?!” Debbie shrieks, running towards him and completely dropping and forgetting about her suitcase in the process, “Oh, Ben! Please tell me you’ve heard from my baby!”

 

Ben tries not to wince at Debbie’s tight grip and returns the hug, “No, Debbie. No progress yet. We’re trying.”

 

“Well...Well, we’ve just gotta try harder! We’ll throw a benefit to raise money in order to get search parties going in the tristate area! We’ll turn over every home, business, and shelter to find him. Ben...we have to find him!”

 

Debbie sobs into his shoulder and Ben tries to keep the tears at bay. He needs to be strong for Michael’s mother. She loves his husband more than anything else in the world.

 

“We’re going to find him,” Ben rasps, “We will. We just have to keep telling ourselves that he’s okay and we’re going to bring him home.”

 

Debbie lets out a sob as she wipes her eyes and goes over to hug Brian, who hugs her back fiercely.

 

“We’re looking,” Brian tells her, “We’re doing everything we can.”

 

Debbie nods, hugs the rest of the group, giving kisses to JR and Hunter, before attempting to pull herself together as she goes back to Carl.

 

“Okay. Enough wasting time. Let’s go.”

 

They walk back to their respective cars and make sure a taxi is waiting outside so that everyone has a ride back to Debbie’s house. Even though it is the most sensible move for Brian to let Justin ride with him in his two seated car, he orders Hunter to ride with him instead. No one misses the heartbroken and confused anger on Justin’s face.

 

When they get to the house, Emmett, Ted and Blake are waiting there so they head in as well. Ben thinks he hears a quacking in the distance but maybe it is just his imagination. He swears that duck is following him. With a shake of the head, he goes inside after the rest of the gang and shuts the door behind him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Damn it!” Michael quacks as he lands, “We missed him! Fucking Frank and his crew.”

 

“They are quite insistent when they want to fight,” Betty agrees as she shakes her feathers to unruffle them, “But what do we do now?”

 

As Michael looks at his childhood home, he tries to come up with a plan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben watches Debbie start making calls to everyone. From the FBI, to PFLAG, to the diner, to homeless shelters, and even to the Mayor. He can’t make fun of her for it. He has already made the rounds with those numbers.

 

“Why did you break up with me? Why won’t you answer my calls?” he hears Justin ask Brian quietly.

 

Brian glares at him, crosses his arms over his chest, and sits back, not saying a word.

 

“Oh, so you’re giving me the silent treatment? Is that it? For literally nothing?”

 

The gang acts like they’re not listening to the conversation but they totally are. Brian and Justin’s relationship is always a hot topic. They are always the latest gossip and, even when Michael is fucking missing, they take the spotlight.

 

Ben suppresses a growl at the thoughts and tries to stay patient. Brian has helped a lot the last few days and Justin came down because he was concerned about Michael as well. He needs all the help he can get.

 

Debbie finally takes a small break from the calls and sits down the cradle her head in her hands. Ben rubs her on the back and everyone in the room is silent. They just need a breather. Just for a second.

 

“I should have been here,” Debbie chokes out.

 

“It’s not your fault,” Ben tells her, “If anything, it’s mine. I’m the one who left him alone to go downstairs and call 911. I should have gone straight back up but I didn’t want him to know how scared I was. I didn’t-”

 

THUMP

 

The gang looks towards the door and, within ten seconds, another sound comes from the other side.

 

THUMP

 

“Who is it?” Debbie calls out, waiting for an answer.

 

“Quack!”

 

Ben stands up so forcefully that his chair knocks to the ground.

 

“That fucking duck! I knew he was following me! He’s been following me around ever since Michael disappeared! I swear to god-”

 

But Debbie lets out a gasp and opens the door. On the other side stands five ducks. When they see the woman, they start quacking away and only the one in the front, his stalker, stays quiet. All he does is lock eyes with Debbie Novotny and it almost seems as though he is trying to convey a message.

 

“Oh...Oh honey,” Debbie says, her voice cracking, “Come in...did you make new friends? They can come in too.”

 

On cue, the ducks waddle in and the rest of the gang stares at the scene in shock. Debbie has always been a little eccentric, but he never thought she would go completely nuts.

 

“Debbie, sweetheart?” Carl asks hesitantly as he dodges a duck, “What are you doing?”

 

Debbie picks up the black duck and holds him against her chest, doesn't answer her partner, and mutters, "I should have known. It's just been such a long time."

 

With that, she directs her attention to Ben and Brian.

 

“Ben. Brian. You can call off the search. Take down the billboards and get those commercials off the air. We don’t need them anymore.”

 

Brian sits up, “What are you talking about? Of course we need them.”

 

But Debbie shakes her head.

 

“No. We don’t. And I’ll tell you why.”

 

Debbie looks at all of them with a straight face and takes a breath.

 

“This is Michael. This duck is my son.”

Chapter End Notes:

Yes, this story is still strange. But let me know what you think anyway! Also, duck rape is totally a thing. Many male ducks are sinister creatures. Study up on it if you don't believe me. I grew up at a lake where I witnessed it on a semi-regular basis. The Cracked article gives a good rundown on the genetics, behavior, and evolution when it comes to the rape culture in the duck community. I feel like a weirdo for typing this message so I'm just going to stop now.