- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trigger warning, attempted attack on child mentioned, not graphic or detailed. 

 

 

 

Justin felt like beating his head against the wall, the account they were working on was going to be the death of him. Mykar Motors wasn’t a huge account but did hold a pricy commission. That being said, he was going to kill Oskar Makara. The man is tall and beautiful but dumber than a box of bricks. He had inherited the company from his father, who hadn’t passed on the brains. What he wanted in a print was impossible, when he went to Brian for help, all he was told was make what the client wanted. What kind of help was that? He thought they shared something last night, but this morning the man was a raging lunatic. Of course, they were all under pressure. Brian had his biggest client threatening to pull his account after his contract ran out. Brian was doing everything in his power to keep that from happening.

“Brian said you were having problems,” Ted said as he came into the Art Department. It was just Justin there, he sent everyone else out for lunch hoping the quiet would help…it didn’t.

“That’s one way to say it. Our client is a moron and I’m supposed to put his ‘vision’ on paper.”

Ted sighed and sat down in Justin seat. “What does he want?”

“Moving pictures.”

“Like movies?”

“Like Harry Potter.”

“Oh god.”

“Yeah.”

“What about 3D pictures?”

“I tried that, it’s not real, he said. He wants cars flying at each other on paper…moving. Not a trick of the eye. Really moving.”

All the sudden Ted burst out laughing, he laughed so hard he lost his breath and clutched his side. Justin just stared at him, wondering if he should call for help.

“Care to share with the class? This moron is going to get me fired.”

Ted caught his breath. “Oskar isn’t a moron. He is a good friend of one Brian Kinney though. The same Brian Kinney you had fake pirates sing happy birthday at.”

Justin couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “I was trying to lighten the mood. I told Lou at any time everyone was smiling to come over and sing. I thought it would make everyone happy. And this is what he does to me? I won’t forget this.”

“Kid listen to me. Call it a draw. Trust me, you don’t want to battle with him. He’s more ruthless than anyone you can imagine.”

“Fine, only because of the dinner tonight. The kids are excited, Molly too. Are you going to be there?” He hoped alone, leaving Blake at home.

“Yep, flying single again. Blake said I was smothering him; he’ll be back in a year or so to beg for forgiveness.”

Justin could feel his eyes twitch. “Maybe you shouldn’t be available by then. Brian told me how much you mean to him. Maybe you shouldn’t be someone’s back up plan.”

Ted snorted; it wasn’t pretty. “Justin, I don’t look like you or Brian. I’m not even young anymore either. I just want to settle down, maybe even adopt a kid.”

“Can you see doing that with Blake?” At Ted’s sullen face Justin sighed. “Maybe you have your answer.”

 

 


 

“Are you excited to see your nephews again?” Mary asked as they drove to Brian’s.

“Yeah, I like Peter the most the other two don’t talk much but they might be shy.”

“That’s probably it. Did you remember to bring your gift for Debbie?”

“Yes,” he said, pulling the flower out of his bag. It was the prettiest they had in their yard.

“I thought you had gotten her a box of chocolates?”

Jack looked down guiltily. “I lost ‘em.”

Mary laughed. “I believe that like I lost the rest of the cake last night.”

“I’m sorry.”

“That’s alright, you bought them with your own money. They did look good.”

“One was coconut, I spit it out.”

“Ewww. Coconut.”

He nodded. He hoped Debbie liked the flower, his stomach was in knots that people wouldn’t like him. Already Debbie and everyone he met had been really nice. He hoped his nephews grew to like him, he already liked them. Peter told him that they could play video games next time, that would be today.

 

 


 

“Are you nervous?” John asked, hoping this wasn’t too much too fast.

“Why would I be nervous?”

Ozzy had just picked him up from school, they were headed to Ozzy’s place for a while until dinner. He hoped everyone liked Ozzy, he was the best. Sure, he looked a little rough around the edges but that was for the band. Ozzy’s long blond hair was in dreadlocks, some people didn’t think that looked good on white guys. What did they know, Ozzy was gorgeous. The neck tattoos were something they might also have problems with, his family wasn’t big on tattoos. One was a spiderweb that circled his neck the other was his band’s name. Naked Christ. His dad wasn’t religious so he wouldn’t care, Grandma Deb and Carl were a different story, but they would see how amazing Ozzy was.

“Thanks for letting me stay at your place the other night,” he said to fill the silence of Ozzy’s car. His nose twitched at the smelled of burning oil.

“No problem, you could have slept in my bed, ya know?”

No, he really couldn’t. While sober Ozzy didn’t really push for sex, drunk Ozzy was another story. That’s why he usually went home when Ozzy started drinking. The other night he didn’t have a choice. Thankfully, Ozzy just drank himself into a stupor and fell asleep.

Now he knew Ozzy wasn’t perfect, but you had to look past the rough exterior, on the inside he was a prince. And a little part of him relished in that a bad boy kind of guy looked at him twice. He was Gus Kinney’s geek brother. Gus never was around when Tim and his lackeys were torturing him. He thought it best not to tell anyone, but he knew sooner or later they would get tired and leave him alone. That’s what his dad always said, bullies won’t really do anything. Maybe in the old days they might go after the geek or gay boy, but no way would they now. He was safe, but he probably wouldn’t be coming out to people at school anytime soon.

 

 


 

Brian left work early, he needed to get away before Justin caught up with him. He’d have to send Oskar a bottle of whiskey for going along with the plan. That will teach the little bastard to mess with him. First, he had to swing by and pay the caterer. After going around and round about it they agreed, she would only cook every fifth family dinner. Emmett would cook one, Michael and Ben would get one, Ted would cook one, and he would cook one. Except he didn’t cook so he had it catered. They bitched for like half a second the first time, then Ted had followed suit. No way would Michael dare to try it and Emmett loved to entertain, even if it wasn’t his house.

 

Justin parked on the already packed street, it looked like he was one of the last to arrive. He wouldn’t have been late if it wasn’t for Mika. His son had been acting out since they lost Ethan. He understood it because Mika was Ethan’s shadow. He always wanted to be around him, he hated that he couldn’t connect to his son like he did with his daughter. Today the tantrum was because he couldn’t wear the outfit, he had outgrown four months ago. He wouldn’t show up to a party with a child that looked like he belonged in a Dicken’s tale. So now he had a whiney son, an overly happy daughter and a stressed-out sister.

At the front door he started to feel out of place, they were invited but did they really want them there. He only met very few of Brian’s friends. How weird was it to come to your boss’s family dinner? The only thing that was a plus was that Blake wouldn’t be there.

“For the love of God,” Molly hissed before reaching over him and knocking loudly on the door. “You can be such a drama queen.”

He smiled; it was good to have his sister back in his life. She was so very much different from the little girl she had been once. Now she was almost a grown woman, he was so proud of her. After their parents abandoned her, she didn’t quit school, she slept on couches, did homework in the public library, she fought. She was going to be an amazing, successful woman one day and his parents would never get to see that. That was their loss.

The door opened and a short man with dark hair answered. “Can I help you?”

“Uh…yeah…Brian invited us,” Justin stammered.

“Oh, I recognize you, sorry it’s been a hectic for weeks. You’re Justin, I saw you at the diner, but you left before I could introduce myself.”

“Yeah, I’m Justin Taylor. This is my sister Molly and my children Nanette and Mika.”

“Great, come on in. The kids are upstairs playing video games, you can send them up if you want.”

“What kind?” He didn’t want them to watch or play violent ones.

“Minecraft.”

Justin smiled. He still didn’t know any of the kids upstairs though.

“I’ll go up with them. I need to clear the air with Gus anyway.”

He wanted to argue but she was a big girl and could run her own social life. He hadn’t told her anything more than he helped Brian with his kids. He didn’t want to betray their trust.

“Come get me if you need me,” he told them after Michael told her what room.

After a few attempts Mika went up with no problem. He looked around the living room and saw how homey it looked…at least what he could see. It was really crowded. He didn’t see Brian, but he did see Ted, he was talking to a huge man.

“Aren’t you to die for, baby.”

Justin looked over to the man coming at him with extended arms. Before he could get away, he was crushed into a hard hug. The man that had him was tall, thin and loud…in voice and clothes. Justin didn’t mind hugs but usually he knew the person. Finally, after a few testing grabs by the other man, he let him go.

“Uh. Hi,” Justin muttered.

“You are as delish as Ted said you were,” the man said.

Justin looked around and locked eyes with Ted, who just shrugged as if it wasn’t a big deal.

“Em, I think you’re overwhelming him,” the huge man said.

“I was just being nice, it’s a southern thing.”

“It’s a queen thing, back away from him before he runs away.”

“You’re no fun, Drew, at least without a bed or hot tub around.”

There were several groans around the room. Justin smiled, everyone looked so comfortable around the room. He noticed Brian’s brother talking to Debbie in the kitchen, they seemed to be in their own little world, another woman was in there with them.

“Do you know everyone?” Ted asked.

“No, I don’t think so,” he answered.

“I’m Emmett Honeycutt, party planner extraordinaire. This Man-God is my hubby, Drew. He does football stuff.” There were snickers around the room.

“I’m Michael, this is my husband Ben and upstairs somewhere is our youngest son Brad,” Michael said sitting next to a smiling man on the couch. The couch was filled with Ben, Michael, Drew and Emmett.

On a recliner sat an older man. “Carl, Debbie’s husband, straight” he told Justin.

“How many times do I have to tell you, no one is going to hit on you. You’d think after all these years he’d stop thinking he was every gay man’s wet dream,” Debbie said coming into the living room. “Alright, dinner’s ready. Ben, can you set up the tables out here for the kids?”

“Sure thing, Deb.”

Ben set up two tables that had fold out benches on them. It wasn’t going to be comfortable but that’s why it was for the kids.

“Where’s Brian?” Justin finally asked, he had been wondering.

“Carl’s shed out back. He’s pissed off about something. We’re letting him cool down. Could you go get him?” Ted asked.

“Feeding the new guy to the lion I see,” Ben said with a chuckle, Justin laughed too.

“Sure, just point me in the right direction.”

He headed out to where they directed him. There was a gray and white shed, there was a light could be seen because the door was cracked open.

Tapping on the door he waited for a response but got none. Taking a chance, he opened the door and walked in. There were several power tools around, a few started projects. One caught his eye, a half-finished baby bassinet. It looked like the project had been abandoned though because it was shoved into a corner just collecting rags now. He wondered what the story behind it was but it wasn’t any of his business. Brian wasn’t hard to find; he was sitting on a bench with his head in his hands.

“What’s wrong?” Justin asked. Had the children said something to him? Had something happened at work that he didn’t know about?

“What’s the point of it all?” The question startled him.

“The point of what?”

“This. Life. Everything.”

“What brought this on?”

“I’m thirty-seven. After that talk with the kids, I realized I wasn’t being honest with myself either. I’m lonely. I had shit parents so I worried that I would do the same to them. I never wanted a partner or whatever shit you call them. But I have to admit, it’s damn lonely doing it yourself. Sex is sex. Empty. God, listen to me. I don’t know, I just feel…I don’t know.”

“Raw. How can I help you?”

Brian laughed and looked at Justin, his eyes dark with emotion. “Like the kids, right?”

“Right. So?”

“Go out with me.”

“What? We already tried that.”

“No, not really. That time I just wanted to fuck you.”

“And you don’t now?”

“That’s besides the point. Fucking hell, you are going to make me say it aren’t you? I’ve never met anyone like you. I would like to honestly see where it goes.”

Justin thought of Ethan to see how much it would hurt to be with someone else. But he didn’t feel that, somewhere along the way he started to fall for Brian. Ethan never was perfect, but Justin had loved him. He just realized, maybe he wasn’t that love of his life he always thought he was. It was clear he wasn’t Ethan’s if he still fucked around.

“Alright. But we have to tell the kids. I won’t lie to them. It’s been a while for my kids, I think it’ll be healthy to know that we don’t stop looking for happiness because someone’s gone.”

“Okay but your kids will take it better than mine.”

“You don’t give them enough credit. Come on, let’s go eat.”

After a toe-curling kiss as a promise of things to come, they headed to the house. As they neared, they could hear yelling and screaming. They both rushed to the house.

 

 


 

                                  Ten minutes earlier

 

“Come on, I can smell Grandma Deb’s food from here,” John said as Ozzy parked the car.

John had told his dad that they would meet him here, he knew that Ozzy was nervous. Not that he told John that, he just knew him well enough to know.

“It’s smells like garbage,” Ozzy muttered.

“Please, don’t say things like that. I want everyone to see the amazing guy you are. We already have a strike against us because of the age thing. But I think my dad is sleeping with his art director and that guy’s like over ten years younger than Dad.”

Ozzy grunted but didn’t say anything else. John opened the door, and everyone froze.

“Are we being robbed?” Ted asked. Not very funny at all.

“Where’s my dad?” he asked.

“Justin just went out to get him. Introduce us to your friend,” Uncle Mike said.

It was now or never. “This is my boyfriend, Ozzy.”

Everyone looked like he just told them he was a serial killer. He wished his dad was in here. They wouldn’t dare say anything mean to him if his dad was there.

“It’s nice to meet you Ozzy, I’m Ben.” Of course, it would be his Uncle Ben that talked, he was the peacemaker.

“What the fuck is he doing here?”

He hadn’t noticed all the kids had started coming down the stairs.

“Brad, what’s wrong?” Uncle Ben asked.

“This fucking tosser,” Brad said, pointing at Ozzy.

“Maybe it’s time to stop watching the British television,” Ted said, the joke fell flat.

“How do you know Ozzy?” Uncle Michael asked.

“He was in one of my foster homes years ago. He’s a fucking dirtbag.”

John knew Ozzy had aged out of the foster care system but didn’t know why Brad was calling him a dirtbag.

“Why are you here?” Brad demanded.

Brad was Michael and Ben’s fourteen-year-old. He’s always been quiet, mostly he talked to Peter. John had never seen him even cuss let alone lose his ever-loving mind like he was now.

“He’s my boyfriend,” John said quietly.

“Your boyfriend? You’re gay?” John didn’t know what the look that crossed over his face.

“Yes.”

“Ozzy is a bad person. Trust me on this,” he begged, tears glistening in his eyes.

“This little bitch is lyin, he wanted it,” Ozzy said.

It was all white noise to him after that, he could see that his brother Gus went after Ozzy, knocking John over. Carl and Drew were pulling them apart. But all John could do was fall back as people were pushed, people screamed but he couldn’t hear them. Brad was twelve when he ran away from his foster home and found himself on the streets. That meant Ozzy was seventeen or eighteen saying a twelve-year-old wanted it. The implications of the night made him want to throw up. How could someone who was as gentle with him as Ozzy be a rapist.

He didn’t even notice someone was pulling him outside until the door shut behind him. Turning eyes on his rescuer, he froze.

“Molly?”

“Looked like you needed a minute to yourself.”

“What have I done?”

“All you did was have bad taste in men, that’s pretty much everyone at some point. Michael and Ben were taking Brad upstairs when I pulled you out here. Give it a minute and everything will be calmer. Soon Ozzy will be coming out that door though.

“God, I don’t want to see him again.”

“Come on, we can get out of here for a while. I’ll text Justin.”

 

 


 

Now that the little scumbag was gone, they finally sat down to dinner. Michael had told him what Brad told him. When the boy was twelve, one night the foster parents were out. Ozzy climbed in his bed. Brad fought him off and was successful, but Ozzy said there was always tomorrow. The next day he told his foster parents but they didn’t believe him, that was when Brad ran away.

Molly had texted Justin that she was taking John out to eat and talk. It was good for him to have friends, even if it was Justin’s little sister.

Brad had calmed down but was quieter than usual. That was until he asked where John was, he seemed upset that John left.

“Brian?”

He looked up to his brother, he had been pretty quiet too since they sat down.

“Yeah.”

“Michael and Ben are married.”

“Yes. I know. Is that alright with you?”

“Yes. I like them. Carl and Debbie are married too.”

“Right.”

“Drew and Emmett are married.”

“So, what’s your point?” he asked, not liking where this was going.

“Why aren’t you married?”

“Jesus fucking Christ.” The entire table burst out laughing, except Debbie, she looked interested. “You fucking put him up to that. You’re not allowed to talk to him anymore.”

“Brian.”

“What Jack?”

“I’m an adult, I can talk to who I want. It’s rude not to answer a question.”

Shit, they had spent too much time around his brother, they were rubbing off on him.