- Text Size +

 

 

Christmas Eve and all was quiet. Yeah, right. First off, Fly had ended her relationship with Gus, who was inconsolable for half an hour until the girl was banging on their door like the end to some John Hughes movie. Young Love and all that. All that had happened before noon. Then Justin tried to go upstairs and succeeded but what he couldn’t do was come back down the stairs. So, Brian had to all but carry the twat back down. Then Emmett came over to make sure the boys tuxes fit, and Nanette’s dress fit, only for Nan’s dress to be too big, Gus’ pants too short and Peter’s jacket too tight.

Justin had almost called a complete halt to the whole damn disaster, but Brian took the kids found the one open formal dress store and had the two boys fitted and the new clothes out the door. He didn’t even have to go to a specialty store for Nan, Christmas dresses for little girls were everywhere.

“Why didn’t we elope?” Justin asked as he rested on the couch for the fifteen minutes before the next disaster happened.

“Because you’re a princess and wanted to spin around in your pretty dress,” Brian snarked back. Usually he would be keeping his cool but if felt like everything was going tits up. “Did you call and check on Dwayne today?”

Dwayne Hill had been the man that gave Justin a ride. He had been injured more than Justin but was expected to get out before Christmas.

“Yeah, he’s home now. His wife said that he’s more tired, but they expect him to make a full recovery. The other guy’s insurance knows he’s the one that fucked up so it’s paying the medical bills.”

“As he should.” Brian was still pissed off that Justin got into the accident. Not at Justin but the asshole who flew through a red-light. “Did you find your phone yet?”

“No.” A look passed over Justin’s face. “It’ll turn up, don’t worry about it.”

“Daddy tell Gussy to stop being mean,” Nanette cried, running into the room.

“What did Gus do that was mean?” Justin asked, Brian saw him roll his eyes. Nan was getting very bratty lately. It wasn’t that big of a deal; kids go through stages.

“He said I wasn’t allowed in his room; he’s looking at bad things.”

Brian was not going up there to find his son’s porn. Not at all. He’s a teenage boy, none of that was Brian’s business.

“Gus needs his privacy. One day you’ll want privacy and understand,” Justin said.

With four brothers, future teenage Nanette was never going to get privacy. Brian didn’t think that because she was a girl she needed to be protected and have different standards than the boys. He had already signed the twins up for karate. He wanted both to be able to protect themselves, he might have also just got done watching the Karate Kid when he did it. There was also a possibility he was a little drunk when he filled out the paperwork online.

“But I want to play on Kingdom Hearts,” she whined.

“The game is Gus’, he might let you play later. But right now, you are not being good,” Justin said.

“I never get to play games,” she cried and ran out of the room.

Brian’s boys each had their own game system. Gus had a PS4, John had an Xbox One and Peter had a gaming computer that cost Brian more than both Gus and John’s systems together.

“I think you should take back the Wii,” Justin told him.

“She’s just having a bad day; she’s got a lot of stress going on too.”

Brian had gotten the twins a Nintendo Wii for Christmas. Justin had been against it but had given in when he saw the games. They were all very age appropriate. The system would be set up in the twins’ playroom. Brian had also gotten Justin’s car fixed; Justin was ecstatic but that wasn’t Brian’s real present for him. But Justin would have to wait for the morning for that.

There was loud footsteps on the stairs. Justin turned and saw it was John and Tim.

“I didn’t know you were here Tim,” Justin said.

“Sorry, my aunt dropped me off an hour ago. I hope that’s alright.”

“It’s fine,” Brian said.

The two teenagers headed into the kitchen to get snacks probably. Brian noticed Justin start to look pained.

“Have you taken your pain meds?”

“Not this morning.”

“You should take them and take a nap.”

“I guess, I’m feeling pretty rotten right now.”

Brian helped Justin to their room, Justin was pretty worn out already. He knew the meds would have Justin out for the next few hours. Justin hated taking the meds and relying on Brian to take care of the kids. No matter how much Brian told him the twins were his now too, Justin still felt lazy he said.

The doorbell rang and Brian ran to get it before it could wake Justin. Opening the door, he was greeted by the sight of his brother.

“Why are you ringing the doorbell?”

“Mary said it was rude to just walk in.”

“Well, it’s not. You want to visit just come on in. Just don’t walk into bedrooms without knocking. You might see more than you want to.”

Jackie giggled. “I know. Mary always knocks incase I’m busy.”

Brian took the same stance he did with his children; he didn’t want to know.

“Mary wanted to know if I could stay here tonight so she could spend the night at her sister’s.”

“I already told her it was fine. It’ll be great to wake up on Christmas morning with my big brother.” He had said it jokingly, but Jackie started to get teary eyed.

“What’s wrong?”

“I dreamed of this.”

Brian did his best not to get in his car and drive to his mother’s and scream at her again. How could she have done this to Jackie? All those years in that facility with no family, just some visits from a despondent mother and an angry father.

“So, what are you hoping to get tomorrow?” Brian asked, willing away those stupid tears trying to fall.

“It’s a secret. I wrote Santa about it.”

Brian wasn’t sure that Jackie believed in Santa or was playing but he would be damned if he hurt him by saying Santa wasn’t real.

“Just as long as it isn’t an elephant, I don’t think we have room for one.”

“Elephants should be free, it’s wrong for them to be kept as pets.”

“I know, I was just kidding. You feel really strong about this, don’t you?”

Jackie nodded his head. “Yes, I watched a movie about it. It was sad.”

“How about I tell you want I’m getting Justin, then you tell me what you asked Santa for.”

“Hmm…ok. I asked Santa for a dog.”

“That’s a lot of responsibility, Jackie.”

“I know, I used to take real good care of Nikki, but she got sick and we had to take her to the vet and make her sleep forever.”

“I didn’t know you had a dog before.”

“Yeah, she was the best dog. She was furry and brown with white ears. We were going to get another dog but then Kyle moved in and he was allergic. But now it’s just me and Mary again.”

“Does Mary know about you asking Santa for a dog?”

“Of course not, it’s for Santa. What did you get Justin?”

“Come with me.”

Brian grabbed his leather jacket and lead Jackie to the garage. It was a two-car garage, Brian had to move Justin’s POS car out to move in the present.

“WOWIE!” Jack said, looking at the new car.

Brian had gotten Justin a Subaru Accent, it was big enough to fit eight, kids and him and Justin.

“Think he’ll like it?”

“Oh yes, blue is his favorite color.”

Brian smiled. “Let’s head back inside before Justin gets up and starts wondering around.”

 


It was late and Justin didn’t know what he was going to do with Brian.

“You don’t give animals for a Christmas present,” he said to Brian.

“I talk to Mary about this. She said Jackie was a very good pet owner and he did better when they had Nikki. Less episodes and he was more active because he was walking Nikki a lot. Also taking her to the dog park got him more socialized.”

“Well, at least you adopted this little girl,” Justin petted the dog on the head.

Brian had called Ben who volunteered a lot with a dog rescue. Brian went to the rescue and asked if they had a dog a little big special. Dizzy was a white German Shepard/Akita mix. She lost a leg because of abuse she suffered. She had been overlooked time and time again because of her three-leggedness. Her attitude and behavior on paper was perfect for Jackie and their family. Justin hoped everything worked out. The only reason they wouldn’t be able to keep her is if she got viscous, everything else training can help.

“So, Mr. Taylor, nervous about it being your last night as single man?”

“Nope, I’m made for relationships. You on the other hand are our dark horse. I guess I’m worried you’ll get cold feet and do a runner.”

“Well, we live together, it would be hard to sneak all my stuff, my kids’ stuff and my kids out the door. I’m in this.”

“That’s what I’m counting on.”

 


“Daddy, Pop, wake up!”

“WAKE UP!”

“Yeah, wake up!”

Justin blearily opened his eyes and saw Nanette, Mika and Jackie standing at the end of their bed. Justin was glad they were too exhausted for sex last night after getting all the gifts wrapped and under the tree. Not only that Brian had to get training wheels on the twins’ bikes. They were Gus and John’s old bikes but now had fresh paint and new tires. Justin had to give Brian a talk about just because you can buy new doesn’t mean you have to. The twins would love anything they got. Apparently, Brian had already made his boys divas. Justin was going to do everything in his power not to have the twins think that way.

“Alright, we’re getting up.” He pushed on Brian’s shoulder. “Time to get up.” Justin looked at the clock on the bedside table. It was just after five in the morning, they had only gotten to sleep for two hours.

“Go wake up your brothers,” Brian said, putting his arm over his eyes.

“Brothers?” Mika asked.

“After today; Gus, John and Peter will be your brothers,” Justin said to the twins.

“We have brothers!” Mika yelled and ran out of the room, Nan following.

“I only have one brother,” Jackie said.

“After today you’ll have two,” Brian said sitting up.

“Who?”

“Justin. After I marry him today, he’ll be your brother-in-law.”

“I’m going to have two brothers.”

“That’s great, go on downstairs and wait for us. We’ve got to get dressed. You could help the twins wake the boys up if you want. It won’t be easy.” He wasn’t kidding it took nothing less than an act of war to get the teens up before seven. Molly would probably already be awake, but they didn’t dare send the rat pack into wake her. She throws things.

After everyone was out of their room, Justin pulled out the present he had for Brian. Justin handed over the wrapped gift. His phone was also in his drawer, Brekin had dropped the gift and phone he forgot at his house the day of his accident.

“What’s this?”

“Just open it, I’m worried you won’t like it.”

Brian opened the present and Justin saw his mouth drop. “Wow.”

“Do you like?”

It looked like an old school playgirl but starred yours truly. Justin had to give it to Brekin, it looked like an authentic nude magazine. He thought it might be something Brian would like.

“Are you kidding? I love. I just hate that we have to go downstairs now and I can’t ravish you.”

“We’ve got some time.”

Thirty minutes later they were downstairs. Justin smiled looking at the twins pet their new bikes.

“We just touched them,” Mika said like he was caught being naughty.

“It’s alright. Who wants to hand out presents?” It was a tradition from when Justin and Molly were young that he kept with the kids. Ethan was Jewish so he let Justin do whatever he wanted for Christmas. Because of their relationship with Ethan’s parents he would still teach them about Judaism, at least as best as a gentile can.

“Can I?” Jackie asked bouncing on the balls of his feet.

“Sure thing.”

Justin and Brian sat on the couch, Justin propping his leg up over Brian’s lap to rest his knee. All the kids sat on the floor waiting for their gifts. Justin saw his little sister looking like a child again, he got a little teary eyed. For two years she had to take care of herself, but now she could just be a teenager.

The first present was for Gus. It was a leather jacket; one he had been begging for. He thanked his father heartily. Next was Mika, it was a gift Justin and Brian had argued about. A kid’s tablet. Justin thought it was too much for a little boy. Mika on the other hand was ecstatic. Molly was next, a laptop. She cried as she hugged Justin. Nanette next, it was a big gift. It was a small chest filled with kids’ costumes. Emmett had helped search every thrift store with him for the costumes. She was so happy and also said the chest looked like pirates’ treasure. John then got his yearly chemistry kit; Justin didn’t argue with tradition. Peter got acrylic paints and Justin had stretched several canvases, framed and primed them for the boy. Peter had rewarded him with a quick hug. Next was Brian, it was a gift from Gus. Brian opened the tie, looking at it Justin knew it wasn’t a cheap tie kids get their dad’s. Nope that was an Armani tie. Brian smiled and gave Gus an approving nod. Then Justin’s gift from the twins. It was a paint by numbers book. Brian seemed to get a great laugh from that, Justin knew Brian had told the kids it would be a great gift. Justin fawned all over the book and their little faces were so happy.

“You need to get a present for you, Jackie,” Justin said. They had all opened one but him so far.

“It’s ok, I didn’t get what I asked for. Santa wouldn’t wrap it up, it would be cruel.” Jack looked forlorn but trying to be happy for everyone else.

“Molly, can you check for misplaced presents?” he asked.

Dizzy had spent the night with Molly. Molly’s room was in the basement, her choice. It was far enough from Jackie sleeping on the pull out in Brian’s office that if Dizzy did bark, he wouldn’t hear it.

“Sure thing.”

Moments later Molly was walking in being led by a Dizzy. All the kids squealed but none as loud as Jackie.

“Oh, my goodness, she’s so pretty.” He sat on the ground and put his hand out for her to smell. Brian told the kids to back off and let Jack meet her. “Why does she only have three legs?”

“Sometimes people aren’t nice to dogs, she survived the bad stuff though. But because of that, she lost a leg,” Justin said.

“That’s alright, I’ll love her more, so she forgets about the bad people.”

“You know she takes a lot of work, right?” Brian asked.

“Oh yes, I know. I’ll be the best dog carer in the world.”

“I thought so. Okay, who wants to hand out gifts now?”

Many, many presents later the living room was a mess of wrapping paper and the twins were asleep under the tree.

“That’s the last of it? I hope,” Justin said.

“Nope, there’s two more gifts. Let the twins sleep, we’ll just be right outside.”

“What’s going on?” Justin asked.

“Just wait and see,” Brian said.

They walked outside and in their roundabout driveway was Justin’s car with a red bow on it.

“Umm…were you running out of ideas and decided to give me my own car?” he asked.

“Nope, I’m giving your car away. This car is now one-thirds to each Molly, Gus and John.”

The teens screamed and rushed to his POS car like they never saw it before.

“You gave my car away? That’s not legal.”

“I think you’ll be alright with it. And before you start to worry, I’ve had my mechanic look at it and fix all the issues with it. It’s good to go. It won’t be breaking down on them. Come on and we’ll see your gift.”

Brian started to lead him in front the garage. “You better not have got me a brand-new car.”

“Don’t worry.”

Brian opened the garage door and inside was a new SUV. “Brian, what did I just say?”

“It’s not brand new. It’s four months old.”

Justin rolled his eyes but decided to take the gift as it was meant. He leaned over and kissed Brian.

“Eww, I was hungry until now,” John said.

“Get your asses inside. We’ll be back in, in a moment,” Brian said.

They left and Justin looked lovingly at Brian.

“Now all we have left is the wedding to go off without a hitch,” he said.

“I thought the whole point was to have a hitch?”

“We’re you this dorky when we met?”

“Shut up.”

 


Brian had to give it to Emmett, he did a great job. He was worried it would be an atrocity to the eyes. But it was nice if maybe a little too many Christmas lights for his taste. Justin was due to arrive soon and the wedding would start. All their guests were already there. It was just family, the family they made for themselves. Jackie was his best man and so happy, Michael had understood and was a groomsman along with Ted and Emmett. On Justin’s side was Daphne as Best Woman and As Groomswomen Molly and Melanie. They had decided not to have their children standing up with them, mostly because then there really wasn’t an audience. The only one that was in it was Nanette because she threw a fit to be flower girl. They didn’t need a ring bearer.

“I can’t believe it. You’re getting married,” Debbie cried.

“Yeah, yeah. Hell froze over,” he joked.

“No, you just found someone to put up with your ornery ass,” she said kissing his cheek.

After she left, he looked at Michael. “Tell me I don’t have a big red lipstick kiss on my face.”

“You might want to clean up in the restroom,” he said laughing.

Brian groaned and rushed to the bathroom before Justin arrived. As he walked through the double doors, he saw an angry looking man looking around.

“Can I help you?” he asked.

“I’m looking for Justin Taylor.”

“Who is asking?” He didn’t get a good feeling from this guy.

“My name is Gregor Michaels.”

“You’re the asshole that tried to get Tara to take the twins from Justin. You’re the asshole who killed their father.” This man was a murderer and had the gall to show up here.

“I killed no one. I just merely moved pieces into place. That miserable scrot deserved everything he got.”

“But none of that is Justin’s fault. He was a just as much a victim as your son, if not more. Your son got into a relationship with him knowing he was a married man. Justin had no clue his husband was cheating on him.”

“You don’t have any idea what Ethan Gold did.” The man pulled something out of his coat. For a split-second Brian though it was a gun. It wasn’t it was a cell phone. The man pushed some buttons and then hit the speaker function.

“Dad? Please, Dad answer. I really need you. I feel like I’m drowning, I can’t see anything good. Please, Daddy I need you.” There was a pause and the upset voice of the young man stopped, now it was hollow and chilled Brian. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t strong enough.” Then the call ended.

“If Ethan hadn’t called me as soon as he got caught cheating, I would have answered the phone. I didn’t know what Levi was calling in for. It was too late after Ethan’s call ended. No time in there did he say what he did. Lies about Levi being obsessed with him. That bastard deserved to die.”

As a father, Brian got it. It would have killed him to get that message before his child’s death.

“But it’s not Ethan you are hurting. It’s Justin, Mika, Nanette and Tara. None of them had done anything to you. Justin had no more chance keeping Ethan from sleeping around as you did from your son sleeping with Ethan. I never do this but please, just leave him alone, I beg you.”

“I-I can’t. If I do my little boy is really gone.”

“He’s gone already, hurting Justin doesn’t bring him back. All it does it keep your pain fresh.”

“If I stop…what do I do now?”

“Maybe something to honor Levi, not this.”

“It’s over,” the man said, turning and walking out. Brian could finally breath again.

“Well, now that’s over,” he muttered before heading off to wash his face then back.

“You alright?” Michael asked.

“Never better,” he said.

The doors opened and Justin was there looking gorgeous in his tux. When he didn’t start coming forward Brian wondered what was wrong. Then he noticed Justin glaring at Nan.

“Go on, you wanted to be the flower girl,” Justin said.

“Oh, I don’t want to anymore, I’m tired.”

“What the hell,” Peter said and grabbed the flowers. He scattered them and everyone laughed except Nan who huffed and ran up and grabbed the flowers for him.

“This is MY job,” she said before finishing what Peter started. Peter laughed and went back to his seat.

 


Justin was waiting for Brian to run away, but he hadn’t. It was almost too late now.

“I, Brian Kinney, take you, Justin Taylor, for my lawful husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.”

“I, Justin Taylor, take you, Brian Kinney, for my lawful husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.”

They decided to go with traditional vows because they thought it was fitting. Brian thought it was a good fuck you to all the haters because he needed a little bit of rebel in his wedding he said.

“No turning back now, Sunshine,” Brian said, bringing him in for the kiss. There was no place else in the world Justin wanted to be.

 

Chapter End Notes:

That's all folks. I hope you enjoyed and thanks for being patient. 

The End.
Willameana is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 18 members. Members who liked The Good Fight also liked 552 other stories.