- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry about taking so long. I will answer all the comments I promise. Thank you so much and I hope you like the new chapter. 

 

 

 

Justin hadn’t ever been in Babylon, that’s not to say he’s never been in a club. When he started PIFA, him and Daphne had gone to Poppers. They had considered Babylon, but you needed a membership to get in. Poppers hadn’t been his scene at all.

They didn’t even have to wait in the line, Brian led them to the front and the bouncer greeted Brian and they were let in. The music was thumping through the place. It was so loud he couldn’t hear himself think. Maybe that was for the best, he could just be Justin tonight.

Brian had gotten him a drink and they drank while watching to gyrating bodies. At first Justin thought Brian would be as professional as he always was around him. But that hadn’t happened, as soon as they walked through the doors, Brian had come alive. Brian seemed to lose his years and Justin could see the young man he had once been. It wasn’t that Brian looked old, in fact he looked in his early thirties but now he looked radiant to Justin.

They danced until Justin’s leg started acting up. When Brian gave him a look, he felt like he was disappointing the man.

“You dance, I’m just going to go stand over by the bar and a get a drink.”

“Something wrong?”

Justin didn’t want Brian to think he was weak or broken, so he lied. “No, just tired.”

Brian nodded, and Justin did his absolute best not to limp back to the bar. It was days like this, when his leg was acting up when it was hard to ignore his past. Ethan had said once that he only complained of it hurting when Ethan really needed him.

“Justin, is that you?”

Looking up at the voice, he was thrown back in time. Standing not five feet from him was Carter, Ethan’s ex. Carter was thrown in his face every time he messed up. Carter wouldn’t need pills to be able to go out into public. Carter doesn’t need to make sure the door is locked six times. Carter would have handled everything better.

“Hey, Carter,” Justin said, hoping that Carter would just go away. He hadn’t seen him since after the twins were born.

It had been weird, Ethan got very protective of the twins. Carter came over when they were only two weeks old. Justin had gotten used to the idea that the ex would always be in their lives. Carter asked to hold the babies and Ethan freaked the fuck out. He said no, he was worried about germs. It had all been very weird.

“I’m surprised to see you here. This really isn’t Ethan’s scene. Where is the jerk?” he asked good-naturedly.

Justin’s mouth dropped open. How could he not know Ethan was dead? It wasn’t like Ethan dying made the newspapers or anything but as far as he knew, Carter was still friends with Collier, a friend of Ethan’s. Collier was a pompous asshole but had been there for Justin and the kids when he lost Ethan. The man had slept on their couch for weeks and made him and the kids eat. Truthfully if it wasn’t for Daphne and Collier, he wouldn’t have made it through the last year. That reminded him, he had to call Collier and check on him, he hadn’t heard from him in a few weeks.

He didn’t want to just spit out that Ethan was dead in middle of a club. But he wasn’t sure he would see Carter again. “Ethan died almost a year ago.”

Carter looked like he was going to pass out. “What? No, he can’t be dead.”

“I’m sorry you have to find out like this. I would have called you to let you know if I knew Collier hadn’t.” Guilt ate at him.

“Collier? I haven’t talked to that turncoat in four years. Not since Ethan shut me out of his life.”

That didn’t make sense to Justin. Sure, Ethan was an over-protective new father but cutting Carter out of his life all together was not like him. Ethan was a social animal, he needed people around him. Justin always believed that he liked that Carter was still in love with him. Justin used to think that’s why Ethan kept Collier and Tara so close too but later he found out, Collier was in love with someone else. And Tara needed Ethan as her touchstone, it wasn’t the love he had mistaken it for, it was like his love of Daphne.

“Look, I’m really sorry. If you want, I can give you my number and we can talk more about it. But I’m here with someone right now.”

Carter glared at him. “Don’t bother.” He turned and stomped off.

“What was that about?”

Justin nearly jumped at Brian’s sudden presence. He turned to the man, Brian still looked amazing after dancing in between dozens of hot bodies.

“Nothing,” he said quickly.

“Didn’t look like nothing.”

“Th-that was Ethan’s ex, Carter. They stayed close friends for years, but something happened between them. I thought Ethan’s friend Collier had told him about Ethan dying. Turns out Collier has been cold shouldering Carter too. I hated telling him that way, but I didn’t have much of a choice.”

Justin couldn’t read Brian’s expression. Soon, though he was reminded why he was trying to get away. His right leg started to throb, his knee almost buckled but he held strong. After his interaction with Carter he just felt drained. He didn’t want the man to mess up his night with Brian.

“I didn’t mean the troll. I meant, you, you look like you’re in pain.”

Justin sighed. “I am.” He hated to admit it, but he needed to get somewhere to sit soon.

“What’s hurting?”

“My leg.”

“Come on, let’s go to the Diner, you can sit and tell me about it.”

That’s what Justin feared. After telling Brain about his past, the man would never be interested in him again. Brian lead him through the club, he walked slow which made Justin feel useless. Once they were on the street, he gave up all pretenses and started limping. It wasn’t a long walk to the Diner, it was just a little further than Brian’s car.

The Diner was a busy little place, he had never been in it. Ethan hadn’t really liked Liberty Avenue, he didn’t make the tips he wanted in school there.

A woman with bright red hair came over to them, she was wearing a name badge and apron.

“What are you doing here?” she asked Brian, she eyed Justin before looking back at Brian.

“Trying to get something to eat. That is what this place is for, isn’t it?” he asked snidely.

Justin was shocked by Brian’s tone and words but was surprised when the woman laughed, smacked him on the head and smiled. “Alright, you little asshole, what do you want?”

He ordered some kind of fruit plate, Justin did not follow suit. He ordered something that had lots of fat and grease involved. Brian gave him a look, but Justin shrugged. He wasn’t with his kids right now trying to get them to eat vegetables.

His leg started to seize up, but he was sitting so he was able to handle it. Brian must have saw his flinch because he looked at him again with that assessing gaze.

 “So, tell me what’s wrong with your leg,” Brian said as the waitress brought him chocolate milk and Brian’s water.

“It’s nothing really, I hurt it in college, that’s all.”

“Bullshit, tell me the truth.”

“I was in college. Long story short, I was the victim of a hate crime.”

Brian’s left eyebrow rose. “How?”

 

“I went to private school, there was a big man on campus there named Chris. He and his jock buddies used to bully everyone but seemed to take great joy in the ‘gay’ kids. Well, once I graduated high school, you know I thought it was over. One day, a few

months after Ethan and I got together, he was off playing a gig in Harrisburg. I decided to go out and have fun with my friend Daphne. We went out to a club called Starlight, it was full of straight people, but I had someone and we were looking for someone for Daph. She met this guy, they started dancing. I was still underage, so I couldn’t drink, so I was just people watching.

 

Soon, I felt someone watching me. I looked for the person until I saw who it was. It was Chris, he was glaring at me. I went to the other side of the bar, and he followed me. I found Daphne and told her I needed to leave, she understood. She wanted to go with me, but I wanted her to have a good time. There were some of our other friends there, so I didn’t feel like I was abandoning her. Anyway, I took off hoping to lose Chris. I was almost to our apartment when I was punch in the head from behind.

Next thing I know, I’m in an alley with Chris and one of his friends glowering at me. Chris started ranting at me that I was everything wrong with the world and everything. That was when he lifted up a baseball bat. He said he was going to rape me with the bat and I would love it because that’s what all fags are like. I told him to leave and I wouldn’t tell anyone he hit me. He laughed. He fucking laughed.”

At that moment the waitress came with their food. Justin shook off the icy feeling that had taken him over. He hated remembering that night though it was never really far from his mind. The waitress walked back off after Brian glared at her.

“Finish,” Brian said, his voice wasn’t hard but did sound a little off.

“He gave me the choice, I could either die with a shred of dignity or I could beg and cry like he thought I would but still die. I didn’t want to die but I knew begging Chris wouldn’t stop him. There was a look in his eye, one that I never want to see in someone else. He decided to break me before he killed me. He took that bat and bashed both of my legs. The pain was unbearable. I screamed for help, no one came. Just as he raised the bat to bash my head in, he fell to the ground. All I could hear was the blood rushing in my ears, it took a minute to figure out what had happened. His friend, Anthony, who had just stood by and watched the whole thing, stabbed Chris before the last hit.

“Turns out he hit Chris’ brachial artery. He was just trying to stop him from killing me, but Chris bled out so fast. When he realized Chris was dying, he lost it. He told me if anyone found out he would kill me. As it happens someone did hear my screaming and called the police. They got there seconds after Chris took his last breath. I told the police most of the truth about Chris attacking me. But I was still so scared of Anthony that I kept it quiet, I told them he came up on us and saved my life, I told them I stabbed Chris. I grabbed the knife when I heard them coming, so my prints were on it. It was the truth, I just left out that he had been with Chris from the beginning. My left leg healed right but my right didn’t. My doctor says I’ll need knee replacement surgery soon, but I’ve been putting him off for a couple years.”

 

 


 

Brian couldn’t believe what he was hearing. So much trauma for someone so young, he would have never guessed Justin was the victim of a gay bashing. When he finished talking, Justin started to pick at a napkin in front of him.

“What happened to other guy Anthony?”

Justin looked a little sick. “He’s still around. I haven’t seen him since the police declared Chris’ death self-defence. Daphne said she’s seen him a couple times, but he seems to want to forget it ever happened. Can we just talk about something else, anything?”

 

Brian didn’t want to linger on this uncomfortable topic. He wasn’t good with emotions, he did what he had to as a parent, but Justin wasn’t his responsibility.

“Alright, I was hoping for better timing, but I wanted to know if you wanted a job?”

Justin’s face was almost comical with his mouth dropping. “What are you talking about?”

“Well, I kind of got fired yesterday. Now I’m starting my own agency and I need someone to be head of the art department.”

“You’re kidding right? I’ve got no experience.”

“I like your work, what I’ve seen of it. And you have the degree. All you need is some shaping and help, you’ll be great.”

He watched Justin think it over. “What does it pay?” Brian knew he had him then.

They were in the car after leaving the Diner. This whole dating thing was not in his way. He fucked and went home. This was making him feel weird.

“Who’s watching the kids tonight?” he asked, trying to get something to talk about.

“My best friend/roommate Daphne and my sister.”

“I didn’t know you had a sister.” Him and Claire had never been close, but he wished she were around just to know he was doing right by her boys.

“Hadn’t seen her in years before a week ago. Turns out my parents weren’t just terrible to me. At least I was a legal adult at the time they kicked me out. She’s only sixteen now and has been alone for two years.”

“That’s illegal.”

“I know that, but she’s too scared to go to the police. She doesn’t want to be put into foster care.”

“That won’t happen, she has you.”

“Right now, I’m staying in my best two-bedroom apartment. I sleep on the couch while my sister and my kids share a full-size bed. I need to find a place I can afford that can fit all of us before Tara finds out about the living situation. Or before someone finds out about Molly. She’s old enough to watch the twins and promised to help out. I just wish I could give her a room of her own.”

Brian took a right turn, driving to his street. Maybe, they would be able to help each other out. “I just thought of a signing bonus I could offer you.”

Justin snorted. “I think I already know where this is headed.”

“Please, I wouldn’t use that old line. No, this is a real one.”

Brian passed his house and pulled into the house next door, it wasn’t as big or fancy as his. It was a simple three bedroom with an office/den, two baths and a nice backyard. He had bought it a few years ago and been renting it out. Being as selective as he is, after his last tenant moved out a few months back he hadn’t found someone he liked for it.

“Where are we?”

“You’re signing bonus if you accept my job offer. I’ll knock off the deposit and two hundred a month.”

Justin’s eyes widened. “You can’t be serious.”

“I am, but I have a request.”

Justin’s shoulders sunk. Brian didn’t even want to think what he thought the deal was for. If he did, he might have been offended. “We’ll be starting this agency up from the ground. Which means long hours at the office…once I have one. It also means I’ll be spending more time away from my house. Gus and John will be fine, but I worry about Peter. Maybe if he could stay over here while I’m at work with your sister and the twins I won’t have to worry about him becoming too isolated.”

“I don’t know. I don’t like feeling like a charity case, it’s hard enough with Ms. Marcus taking over my case pro bono.”

“Just think about it, alright? Come on, let’s look around.”

 

 


 

Justin followed Brian into the nice-looking house. Once they walked through the door the first thing Justin noticed was it was furnished with gorgeous hardwood floors.

“This is beautiful,” he said in awe.

“It’s alright,” Brian whispered in his ear. “Let me show you the kitchen or better yet the kitchen table.”

Justin hadn’t noticed how close Brian had gotten to him until that moment. He shivered uncontrollably, this was a new feeling to him. He loved Ethan with all his heart, but the man didn’t exude sexual energy like Brian Kinney.

Brian pulled Justin into the kitchen and pushed him against the table.

“Wh-what are you doing?” Justin asked as Brian’s hand started to make his way down his back.

“What does it look like?” His hand was slipping under Justin jeans, cupping his ass.

“DAD!” a voice shouted from the living room.

Brian moved so fast Justin thought he would get whiplash. The older man was on the other side of the kitchen when the door opened, and his youngest son stepped inside.

“Hey, Sonny boy, what are you doing here?” Brian asked, his eyes gave Justin a promise before focusing on the boy.

“I saw your car and was worried,” Peter said anxiously.

“I was just showing Justin the house, he’s thinking about renting it.”

“Oh, that’s cool. Um…I was wondering if you could help me with my homework if it’s not too much trouble.”

Justin knew then his night was over, kids always came first…as it should be. “I can call a cab,” he said.

“No, I’ll drop you off and come back.” Brian turned to his son. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Alright. Thanks, Dad.”

When they were leaving Brian promised Justin that they would be able to do a lot more if he moved in next door. Justin could see more upsides to living next to the gorgeous man than just a place for his family.