- Text Size +

 

 

 

He wouldn’t admit it, but he was nervous as he waited up for Gus. They didn’t talk like he hoped today. All Gus wanted to talk about was Molly and what he should do on his date. Besides all the dates he went on to pretend he was straight, he had no idea what to tell the boy. So now he was out on a date with her. She was the one driving so he would be dropped off.

Headlights lit up the window. He quickly changed channels on the television, like he had been paying attention. After a moment the door opened, and his son came in.

“Have a nice night, Sonny Boy?” he asked, concentrating on the scene.

When there was no answer, he looked at Gus. He looked completely shattered. Standing up, he walked to him, waiting for him to talk.

“I’m going to bed,” Gus muttered before running upstairs.

Now he never thought he would be that kind of parent. But he found himself stomping across his lawn to the house next door. The girl was just getting out of Justin’s car.

“What the hell happened tonight?”

He could see from the security lights that her eyes were red, probably from crying. Oh, hell, he had the feeling he didn’t want to know what happened.

“What happened? You want to know what happened? Why don’t you ask your son? I thought we could have a fun time. You know go out to a movie and down to get a slice at Houdini’s. I didn’t know I would have to be on alert the whole night. When you talk to your son, let him know that he should keep he’s hands to himself.” With that, she turned and ran to the house.

Walking home he felt numb. He never thought any of his children would try and force themselves on anyone. They had the “talk” when Gus and John were twelve. He thought he explained that everything had to be consensual. How had he gone wrong? Once he got home, he knew he couldn’t let whatever happened tonight to be brushed under the carpet.

When he knocked on Gus’ door, there was no answer.

“I need to talk to you. I can talk out here for your brothers to hear or you can let me in.”

There was a click and the door slightly opened. He walked in and watched his son sit down heavily on his computer chair.

“Want to tell me what happened tonight?”

He would not go on the offensive. Gus had to tell him the truth, he wouldn’t do that if he was scared. Brian guessed he had about thirty minutes before a very angry blond was at his door, ready to kill his son for hurting his sister.

“I thought she would like that. She dates older guys. You know guys with a lot of experience.”

“What did you do?” Scared that his son was going to have the police at the door any moment.

“Well, she asked me if she could kiss me. So, we kissed.” Brian guessed it didn’t stop there. “I slid my hand under her shirt. I thought she liked it, Dad. I swear. I didn’t know she didn’t until I felt my cheek get wet. She was crying. I made her cry.”

“What happened then?”

“It was weird. We didn’t talk about it, it was too embarrassing to do that. We just went to get dinner, she wouldn’t even look me in the face. Then we came home, she didn’t say more than one word to me. I thought she was into it.”

Brian wanted to smack the boy. “You’ve known this girl, what a day? Then you go out on a first date. When it comes to kissing, this girl ASKED you, if it was alright to kiss you. Giving you the not-so-subtle hint that permission was needed. That meant this wasn’t her first experience with a handsy boy. But that doesn’t matter, I don’t care if she was quiet the whole night. You don’t force yourself on anyone.”

“I didn’t do that.”

“Didn’t you? She didn’t give you permission to touch her.”

“But it would like kill the mood if I asked.”

Don’t kill the boy. Don’t kill the boy.

“First, you are fifteen, there is no mood. Second, you know what you did tonight?”

“What?”

“It’s called sexual assault.”

“Nah uh. It was just flirting.”

“FIirting is smiling at each other and giggling like a girl when she makes a joke. Let’s say you went to the diner and the new busboy decided since you two talked about hockey that he could grab your crotch.”

“That’s not fair, I’m not a fa- “

“Go ahead, finished your sentence.”

He wasn’t the fifteen-year-old in this, he could take whatever was thrown at him. Even if it did hurt like a bitch.

“I just meant, it’s not the same. I’m not gay.”

Brian shook his head. “She didn’t want your hand under her shirt anymore than you want Kyle’s hand on your dick. That is the same. You hurt that girl and don’t seem to get what you did wrong. Because of that, I’m putting an end to any dating until I believe you are mature enough to be a good man.” He had to stop whatever was going on in his son’s head to think it was ok.

“You can’t do that.”

Brian stood up from the bed he had been sitting on. “You’ll find I can and just did. Now, I’m going to go next door and promise you won’t get near her again. You better not make me a liar. Don’t fight me on this, you were in the wrong. You need to figure yourself out. Just because you’re scared the other boys will think you’re gay if you don’t chase everything in a skirt, doesn’t mean you get to take it out on any girl dumb enough to like you back.”

Going next door to talk to Justin wasn’t how he wanted to spend his night. He felt a little sick to have to talk about what his son did. The urge the throttle to boy was strong, he never wanted to be like his father. But tonight, had been a near miss.

The door swung open before he walked up the walk. He was greeting by an angry blond, just like he expected.

“I’m going to kill him,” he said, venom in his voice.

“I’ve talked to him.”

“If you would have done that sooner my sister wouldn’t be crying her eyes out.”

“Are you questioning my parenting?” The nerve. Sure, he had fucked up here and there, but teenagers were hard to parent.

The air seemed to come out of Justin’s sails at that. He shook his head. “No,” he said, his voice quiet. “She’s just hurting, and I don’t know what to do to fix it. As much as I’d love to help her, I think she needs my mom. This sucks, maybe if we had been living together for years, she would trust me. But right now, I’m just the big brother who abandoned her, she won’t talk to me.”

“Well, your mother is a lost cause, but what about your friend. The one you lived with, maybe she could talk to her.”

Justin shook his head. “She’s working back to back doubles, she can’t even think straight right now.”

“What about another female friend. As much as I hate to admit it, maybe because of the circumstances she might need a woman to talk with.”

“I don’t have any other female friends. There is Daphne’s sister, but Molly will probably clam up. She just knows her as Daphne’s sister. What she needs is a mom.”

“A mom?” Brian couldn’t help the smile that came over his face. Justin didn’t say her mom this time, he said a mom. Brian knew the perfect mom for the job.

“Listen, I’m going to head back over to my place. I’m going to make a call and in about twenty minutes you’ll have the ultimate mom at your front door. Trust me on this, just let her take over, she will anyway. You can’t get Molly to open up to you, well Debbie is a mom that can get even me to talk. Just let her do her magic.”

Justin bit his lip. “I don’t know. Letting a stranger take to Molly about this?”

Brian laughed. “Well, it doesn’t get any stranger than Debbie but trust me on this. She can make anyone feel better and help them out at the same time.”

“Alright. I’m willing to try anything.”

“Just answer the door when you think someone is trying to beat it down. Subtlety is not Debbie’s strong suit.”

 

 

 

Something was wrong with Justin, Brian could tell. Hell, even though Ted had only met him a few times he knew too. They had been working in mostly silence for the past few hours, it wasn’t a comfortable one either. The rest of the building couldn’t get finished fast enough if you asked him. Sharing his office with Ted was enough to make him want to hit him.

This morning was the first time he saw Justin since the kids’ date from hell. Debbie had come right over, first she went upstairs to talk to his son. He didn’t know what she said but Gus finally looked repentant. Then she went next door. When Brian was getting his morning cup of coffee the next morning, he noticed Debbie’s car was still in the driveway. Later in the day he saw a smiling, laughing Molly get Debbie’s car and head off somewhere with her. He hoped his son hadn’t messed the girl up.

Now it was Monday and Justin hadn’t barely said a word to him except for business.

Once Justin left to get more supplies, Ted confronted him.

“What’s wrong with Mary Sunshine?”

“What?”

“The kid, Justin. What’s his deal? Every other time I’ve seen him he’s been happy and positive. It’s like someone killed his dog and stole his lollipop all at the same time.”

“He’s not that young.” They had this argument before. Ted thought Justin was too young and too inexperienced to be head of the art department. Brian listened to everyone of Ted’s concerns and then told him to get over it. “He’s having some issues at home.”

“Who isn’t,” Ted muttered.

“What’s wrong, Ted? Did your cat run off on you? Find another sad sack?”

Ted glared at him. “Why are you my friend again?”

“You only have three, best not to start asking questions now.”

They continued to work until Brian’s cell rang. He took it outside because Ted was working on some numbers and glaring. There was no way he was about to get into another argument with him. He wished Cynthia wasn’t out picking out furniture for the office building.  At least then he would have someone on his side.

“Kinney,” he snapped before he thought better of it.

“Brian, dear.”

Just like that he was thrown back in time. A five-year-old boy, begging his mom to stay with him at night because the boogie man was going to get him. He had no idea the boogie man lived in his home at that point.

“Mother, what do I owe this displeasure?” He was proud his voice didn’t crack. He hadn’t seen her since the old man died. Then it was only for a moment, he hadn’t brought the boys to the funeral. They didn’t know him, there was no need for them to be there.

“I need to see you, Brian. It’s important.”

He thought about telling her he had been important, but she didn’t give a damn about that. She let her husband beat him and Claire like they were grown men. No, he wouldn’t bring that up, he understood she was just as much of a victim. But she was the adult, they weren’t.

“Sure. Still in the old house?”

“Yes.” She sounded older and more tired than he ever had heard her before.

“Alright, I’ll be there in thirty. But I’m only free for a little while.”

Brian grabbed his keys, let Ted know he was going out and headed to his car. He couldn’t believe he was doing this, it was idiotic. She had this way about her, just like his dad. Even if he thought he was beyond them hurting him, they found another way.

It was halfway to his mom’s when he saw a familiar piece of junk on the side of the road. The hood was up, and smoke was coming from it. He pulled over into a parking lot and made his way over to Justin’s car.

“Problem?” he asked.

Justin raised his head up and banged it on the hood. “Damnit.” He looked at Brian. “What are you doing here?”

“Just passing through and saw your stunning car here. So, what’s the matter with it?”

“I’m no expert but I believe the term is ‘fucked up’. I don’t know, my guess is I have to get it towed and find out that it’s a fortune to fix.”

“Call the tow truck. Lucky for you, your boss lives next door and you can carpool. I have somewhere to be, but I’ll come right back and get you, the truck should be here by then.”

“Yeah, thanks.” He didn’t sound happy, but Brian didn’t take offence, a car is a part of independence, losing it even for a short time sucks.

His mother’s house was in bad shape. Worse than he had ever seen before. The door opened before he knocked. She looked frailer than ever. Her eyes were sunken, and she looked like she was barely standing. She was a terrible mother, but she was his mother.

“Let’s sit down, you don’t look well.”

She stumbled to the couch, a smell of alcohol and illness trailing behind her. Once she was seated, he sat on the couch’s arm. He waited for her to speak but she said nothing.

“What did you want to talk about?”

“The doctor just told me I’m going to die. Sure, he used fancy words like chances and treatment, but we know my luck doesn’t go that way. There is something important that you need to know. I can’t go to the grave with it on my conscious.”

He had never heard her speak this way, it made him scared what she was going to say.

“Go on.”

 

 


 

Justin was waiting for Brian to get back; the truck had just taken his car. He had tried to call him, but it went right to voicemail. It was just when he was thinking about getting a taxi when he saw Brian’s car coming.

Putting all the supplies he had gotten in the trunk, he got in the passenger’s side. Brian didn’t say anything, but he was clenching his jaw.

“Is everything alright?”

“Perfect. Why wouldn’t it be?”

“I don’t know you just seem to be upset.”

“Well, I’m not.”

“OOOkay. Is there anything I can do?”

“A blowjob would do wonders.”

Justin could tell he wasn’t demanding one, but he also saw he wasn’t really joking.

“Pull over.”

“Why do you always have to be a drama princess,” Brian said but pulled over like Justin asked.

Once they were off the road, Justin unbuckled. “I can do a blowjob,” he said seductively.

This was so not like him, but something told him Brian really needed this. If he was being honest, he did too.

“I was joking. I don’t demand employees to blow me.” He looked a bit pissed off.

“How about a guy who’s attracted to you? Will you let him blow you?”

That was the last of the argument, Brian didn’t hesitate to push his seat back, giving Justin room to work. He just hoped he wasn’t making a huge mistake.