- Text Size +

 

 

 

B- THE NEW LOCATION OF SOME PLACE SPECIAL


JUSTIN


Emmett and Daphne agreed to meet me at Cisco’s Bar and Grill, which was just a few blocks away from Carnegie Mellon’s campus. I didn’t want Daph to have to spend money to meet me somewhere that would pose an inconvenience for her. Since she opted for Early Admission, she’s already begun school to finish up the prerequisites before officially beginning to fulfill her pre-med requirements. Like me, come the fall semester, Daph will already be enrolled as a sophomore. I can’t help but be proud of both of us, since we began high school with a plan and managed to stick to it despite the challenges of our senior year. 


As I walk up to the table where she is sitting and gossiping with Emmett, I hear him say, “At least that’s what she’s telling everyone, Honey. But we both know there is much more to it than what Lindsay is saying. Nothing is ever that cut and dry with her.”


“I know. In fact, while she presents this serene image, I can see the slithering snake on her shoulder, whispering trouble into her ear,” Daph answers.


“Slithering snake?” Em snickers, as did Daphne.


“It’s what my grandmother always termed as the Devil. And let’s face it, whereas most people may have one, Lindsay has two demons she’s indulging. That of her own avaricious spirit, and the other in the form of Michael Novotny.”


Emmett looks at her puzzled, his eyes narrowed in thought. "Somehow I can see that. It's kinda like that jump rope game I used to see kids playing outside my Aunt Lula's house when I was a kid. Angel-Devil-Angel-Devil." he singsonged, before shaking himself out of his reverie, and continuing. "It's weird, but somehow I can see how conversations with oneself can be just as double-minded. But how are you so sure that it isn’t as Lindsay said; that she isn't just looking out for Justin, and that Michael is involved here much more than just them having a conversation about Justin’s supposed best interests?”


Daph leaned forward and lowered her voice a little before saying, “If there is one thing I have learned about Lindsay and Michael in these last many months since Justin and I have been around, it’s that the only people they will allow to interfere with their possession over Brian Kinney is each other, albeit reluctantly. Even Gus must take a backseat to Lindsay’s need to be the sole focus of Brian’s attention. I saw that firsthand on the night of the GLC art show, even though it wasn’t defined as a problem in my mind then. As for Michael… well, when have you ever known a spoiled only child to willingly share his toys? Just because Brian and his Ma aren’t plastic, doesn’t mean that Michael wouldn’t prefer they remain in the metaphorical collector’s box of his well-ordered existence.” 


Em nods in her direction. “You know, Honey, when you put it like that, I can see exactly what you mean. I just can’t imagine them being that selfish, you know? I suppose we all have a few tendencies to that end, but I would hope that it’s not intentional.”


“That’s true, Em. But self-care is a lot different than being self-absorbed,” I interrupted as I sat next to Daph. Placing a kiss on each of their cheeks, I continued. “A prime example of that kind of self-absorption is to tell the people that you want them to give poor little Justin an offer that would take him away from the man he loves and his family because of his need to escape a semi-abusive relationship, to suit your own ends.” I fall silent as the waitress comes over for my drink order, letting what I just said sink in.


As she leaves to go get my coffee, I regard the shock on their faces. While Daphne narrows her eyes in anger, Emmett is the first to recover his power of speech. “Can you repeat that claptrap, Baby? I just couldn’t have heard you right. I must have had one too many Cosmos.”


“You only had one since we’ve been sitting here, Em, and you heard him,” Daphne answers between gritted teeth. She turns to look at me. “Is that the reason you wanted to see us?”


“Partially, but why?”


“Because I need to go punch a conniving blonde bitch in her throat! How dare she imply… I can’t even finish that fucked-up thought! Have you told Brian that shit yet?”


“No. I figured I’d wait until we were back in California to do that.”


“What do you mean by back in California, Baby? You and Brian just got back from there for vacation. And you’re supposed to start school here in a few months,” Em reminded me, puzzled by my choice of words.


I sigh. This is ultimately a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. These two are my absolute best friends. It’s funny that while my besties are proving to be everything their counterparts should be, Brian is having to start an elaborate game of hide-and-seek with his own just so that he can have a life of his own. And I truly feel bad about that. 


“So, as you both know, Lindsay arranged for me to have an internship and scholarship in Los Angeles.”


“Yeah, and we were just talking about her motives in doing so,” Daphne stated.


“I heard. And you’re right that her motives were not at all altruistic, as she’s more than likely filling Deb’s ears that they are.”


“How do you know about that, Baby?” Emmett asks me.


“Other than having it confirmed while I heard you guys talking, would be the numerous calls every day from Deb, Lindsay, AND Michael to both mine and Brian’s cell phones. Brian’s were made more out of trying to guilt him into doing what they wanted, while the calls to me were to advise me of their wisdom in making my life choices for me. I was told that it was a 'fantastic opportunity', and that I owed it to myself to 'leave the asshole behind and develop a life of your own'. But then Michael called and said that he asked Lindsay to make sure that my 'gold-digging ass wouldn’t have a reason to call Brian for anything, not even a fucking hello.' And that I should 'take the offer because the Bank of Brian would be closed to you and he wouldn’t have to pay for ass anymore, the way he was doing with you!'


“Oh my God! He said that?!” Emmett gasps, even while Daphne sat there getting angrier with each recount of Michael’s phone call.


“Word for word, Em. I hate to tell you, but I know now that by not disclosing it, Michael would still have the power to pull the wool over everyone’s eyes. However, he’s not going to be prepared for the knowledge that he’s definitely underestimated me.”


“What do you mean?” 


“Although he knows that I was away with Brian, he wasn’t counting on me letting Brian hear his voice messages, or those from Lindsay and Deb. It’s how Michael has been able to operate beneath the radar for years, even before Daph and I met you guys, Em. He’ll do his dirt, then paste on an innocent look by saying that his intentions were misunderstood, while laughing it off as if it was some type of joke gone wrong. And you all bought it, either because you just couldn’t believe the level of vindictiveness, or- in Deb’s case- because it wasn’t done to you specifically. It’s something that Daphne and I picked up on the night after I went home with Brian for the second time.”


“So what does all that mean in reference to California?” Daphne asks. 

 

I clear my throat, after the waitress brings my coffee and I thank her. Taking a sip first, I then say, “Well, after numerous conversations, and a meeting that Brian and I couldn’t have planned better ourselves if we tried, I decided to accept the offers extended by the Diamond Platinum Advertising Associates. What’s even better is that they were planning to offer Brian the long-toiled for partnership in the firm as well; he accepted.”


“Wait a moment!” Daphne exclaims, before gripping my arm tightly. “How did you accepting a job that the lying she-devil set up, result in Brian getting a partnership deal?”


I went on to explain the circumstances around mine and Brian’s decision to see what Dee and DeMarcus were offering, even before we left for the white parties and discovered Lindsay’s plotting. Even hearing myself retell of all that transpired was astounding to me, so I could imagine just why the looks of bewilderment were so clearly etched on their faces. “So when Brian and I did the Liberty Air campaign, we never imagined that it would result in earning the moniker The Dream Team among the advertising world. But when the job in New York fell through for Brian, we never imagined that we’d also be sought after by any means necessary, even if that meant allowing Lindsay to believe that she was getting her way.”


Daph laughed. “You and Brian are giving Lindsay what she wants, but in a way she won’t be able to blame anyone but herself for in the end.”


“Exactly, since Dee and DeMarcus were looking for us with the intent to hire us anyway. With DeMarcus’ wife, Stacy, being offered a lucrative position over in Italy, the timing was right to offer the partnership to Brian. DeMarcus will personally head up the Eurpoean office, thereby expanding the foothold DPAA already has on the motion picture side of things there. As for me, not only will I be attending Gnormon, but I will also be working directly with Brian’s team as his lead artist. So that means I will be a salaried employee, beginning with thirty grand plus any bonuses on the campaigns I work on. 


“So, not only has Lindsay’s plan backfired, but Michael’s gold-digging comments aren’t going to hold weight. Not that they really ever did, since even as a waiter, my check plus tips weekly was still more than his bi-weekly net pay as an Assistant Manager at the Big Q. Truth be told, Brian and I had many arguments about money, and his willingness to spend it on me. Some of our biggest disagreements were because I wouldn’t let him, or if I gave in, it was with the stipulation that it was a loan, and not to be confused as payment for services rendered. And I have THAT in writing.”


Emmett laughs. “I can’t wait to see the look on their faces when they figure out just how royally they fucked up!”


“I hate to burst your bubble, Em, but you can’t tell them. In fact, neither of you can discuss this with anyone, until Brian makes some moves himself.”


“What!!! The biggest and most exciting story of subterfuge gone wrong and I can’t share it?” He pouted, and I was hard-pressed not to laugh.


“No… at least, not yet. I promised Brian that you would keep our confidences, Em, and I know you will. It’s why I asked for both you and Daph to come instead of telling you separately. If you have to talk about it, make sure it’s only with each other or with Vic and my mother, and away from the Avenue as a whole. Also, I know Brian has filled Mel in because she’ll be responsible for deciphering Gus-fact from Lindsay’s fiction for Brian. Ted is our financial planner so he has to have all of the information to keep Lindsay from pulling the extra Gus-fund bullshit she does whenever Brian is not at her beck and call the way she expects him to be at all times.”


“And Deb?” Em asks me, but I shake my head.


“Not a word to her, Em. All she’ll do is tell us that we’re wrong and that Lindsay and Michael were just looking out for me the way real friends and family should, when that’s anything but the truth. The fact is that if this had worked out the way they planned it would, I would have been left floundering while Brian was once again, trapped within their fantasy world- alone and lonely- so they could fantasize about being in my place.”


“Your place?” Daph asks, a mischievous glint in her eyes. “Does that mean that you and Brian are making your coupledom official?”


I smile brightly at her. “Let’s just say that Brian and I are unofficially official, and have been for awhile yet. Our relationship is still as it always has been- open- and will remain so for the foreseeable future,” I answer them both honestly.


Brian and I had already decided that the only three to know of our marriage will be Vic, Mom, and Ted; the latter for purely business-related reasons. Also, Cynthia is going to know. But since Brian is sure she’s going to be coming to Cali with us eventually, and doesn’t like Michael or Lindsay, she’s not going to say anything to them beyond Brian doesn’t work at Ryder/ Vanguard anymore, while she’s still employed there herself. That will be enough to get them off her back while they will try to figure out where Brian is so that their money train doesn’t stop. Michael and Lindsay can be so transparent when it comes to their motives.


“And that doesn’t bother you?” Em asks.


“No. I mean, why should it? I’m almost-nineteen, and have found my hedonistic match with Brian. Why would I let a little thing like instant sexual gratification cloud my judgement, or bother me unduly, when I’m getting served Brian’s dick on a regular? Right now, this lifestyle suits both me and Brian, so there’s no need to fix what isn’t broken. And who knows? Maybe at some point we’ll reevaluate things to either close and lock the open door between us, or we’ll let this thing go, with us each being happy to just stay friends; that’s for Brian and I to decide and no one else. It’s why your silence and our move out of Pittsburgh is so important. Beyond the career opportunity, it will be a chance for Brian and I to continue to get to know each other without being under the microscope we are here in Pittsburgh, where everyone seems to think they know better than us about what we want.”


Em looks at me, tearing up. “You know, Baby, I’m going to miss you.”


“Me too,” Daphne echoes sadly.


“I know, and I’ll miss the both of you, too. But hey, you guys can come and visit for extended weekends, and I’ll come back to visit sometimes too, especially for the holidays. And when we’re not able to see each other in person, we have video conferencing. So see? All is not lost… but I would be lost without the two of you.”


Emmett came over to the side of the booth where Daph and I were sitting to move me over. Then squeezing into the seat, he buries his face into my shoulder while putting his long arms around both me and Daphne. “It won’t be the same, but we’ll make it work, won’t we?”


“Of course we will,” I say as Daph also lays her head on my other shoulder. “We’ll just have to figure out how to have cross-country slumber parties, without Brian either grouching or providing you guys with free porn.”


Both Em and Daph sat up at the same time, to look at each other across me. Then both snickered and said, “Ah... Free Porn, please!” 


Needless to say that we all dissolved into a fit round of giggles, raunchy jokes, and strategic planning using the calendars on each of our phones. Then of course that led to the what we’d see and who’d we do questions about the White parties. And how could I not fill my besties in on me and Brian already making a name for ourselves over on the West Coast? I don’t think I’ve ever heard either of them laugh so loud and long as I told them about some of the interesting characters Brian and I fucked, especially in Palm Springs. I mean that one guy with that fucked up braying… Brian actually found a ball-gag to shut the human jackass up. 

 

And as I continue to watch my two best friends making our last time together for awhile in the same place and space memorable for each of us, I can’t help but think: Yeah, who the hell needs Charlie’s Angels, when I have my own personal Avengers to save me?