- Text Size +
Chapter two


JUSTIN POV


While in the airport in New York, waiting for my connecting flight to the Pitts, I made some phone calls. Using my credit card, I bought a Cadillac Escalade from a dealer in the Pitts and had it insured and waiting for us at the Pittsburgh airport when we landed.


I had drawn a picture of Brian. Gus remembered his daddy, and I couldn’t wait to reunite the two of them. I stopped by the loft, and noticed the announcement that Brian had moved to the house. It was a weekday, so I wondered if he would be at work. I did a search and found he still had his company here.


Going to Kinnetik I asked for Cynthia Moore. She came out and almost passed out from shock. She grabbed me and hugged me close.


“Where have you been? Where did you find Gus?” She asked.


I told her there had been an accident in Italy. She noticed the scar. I asked if Brian was here. I don’t know why, but I asked if he had a partner. She said no.


She said he was in the conference room in a meeting. She took us to the office saying he should be done soon.


I watched Brian shake hands with the client, then Cynthia pulled him and Ted to one side. Brian collapsed into a chair. Then jumped up and headed for his office.


Slamming the door open he shouted “Justin??” Gus was asleep on the couch covered with my coat. He grabbed me in a tight hug holding on like his life depended on it. He looked me over finding the scar.



“What happened?” Then he looked at the couch. “ Gus?? Justin? How? “ He went and pulled his son into his lap.


Between Ted and Cynthia and myself, we got Brian calmed down a little.


“There was an explosion. I woke up in a small hospital and I didn’t remember anything. My head was bandaged. There was a small boy on a bed beside mine. He was awake and called me Jus. I didn’t recognize him. He told me he was Gus. He had a badly broken leg and he had to have therapy for two months. The police talked to me. They had found my wallet with my license verifying my identity with my picture. They somehow knew I was a well known artist. So I knew my name and I that I was from Pittsburgh but could remember no family. Brian, I found out that Lindsey died in that explosion.”


I held him while he cried for his lost friend. Gus woke up and when he realized he was in his daddy’s arms, he became so excited.


“Tell me more. How were you able to take him?”


I couldn’t resist running my finger across his bottom lip. He leaned in then and kissed me. It was a start.


“I found that I had money in a local bank. I hired a lawyer and with mine and Gus’ nurse and doctors’ word, I was told I had to adopt him to be able to travel with him. Towards the end of Gus’ therapy, I went to bed with a headache. I had a dream. It was about you. When I woke up I remembered you and everything else. Then I thought oh my god. I knew you were probably frantic about Gus. I got new passports for us then we headed for home.” I continued to ramble a bit. “I don’t know if you want to try again. I understand if we can’t, but we do need to talk. I’m sorry I was so unreasonable. It was wrong not to tell you Lindsey had talked to me.”


Brian just kept staring at me when he started speaking. “There is a lot I have to tell you as well. I was so lonely. Then the girls disappeared with Gus and J.R.”


I interrupted. “ I don’t know where Mel and JR are. It was only Lindz and Gus in Italy.”


Brian led me to his desk. He said “look at this article. “


“Incredible. Men. Gay men are getting pregnant?”


“Justin, I was in the park we took Gus to. I met a grandmother with a little boy and a baby girl. I held the baby while she tended to the boys skinned knee. Justin I had myself tested and I am a carrier. I can get pregnant. I can show you the paperwork from the Mpreg clinic.“


“Brian? What are you trying to tell me?“ I asked.


“I decided I wanted a child. Yeah me, the Stud. I went to a sperm bank. I entered your description and chose the donor that was most like you. I had Invitro and was implanted with 3 eggs. I had twins. A boy and a girl. They actually look a lot like you. I named them Patrick Cole and Sunny Marie. They are 3 years old. What do you want to do Sunshine? I love you so much. I never stopped.” He tells me looking me straight in the eyes.


“I saw the sign on the loft door. I still love you too. I want to go home, but first where are Patrick and Sunny?”


“They are here. I added a daycare. Oh god. Molly! She watches the kids. Eight total. Come on. I will take you there.”


Walking down the hall. Brian opens the door. Two little voices yelled daddy! Then Molly saw Justin. “Jester!!!” Justin and Molly hugged each other, and I told her I will explain later.


I looked at the two children Brian had knelt down to hold. Then I thought of something.


Before I could say anything, Brian said, “Sunshine, they could pass as yours.”


“I...I am afraid to say it, or even ponder it.”


“What? Just tell me.”


“Did you say the donor came from New York?“ I asked while still trying to work out the details myself.


“Yes. Uh. Why Sunshine?”


“I’m probably wrong. But I needed the money, so I went and sold some sperm once. It’s not possible, right? It’s too crazy sounding. What are the odds?”


“Let’s get out of here first, we will talk more at home. We need to get a ride. Ted picked me and the kids up in his van.”


“While I had a layover in New York, I bought a car and it was waiting for me at the airport, so we have the ride!”


“You got an Escalade? Really Sunshine?“ I just nodded in response.


Brian yelled for Ted. When he came in, I gave him a hug.


“We need to get the kids seats out of your van. Jus had to wait in New York so he bought an Escalade.”


“Deb will kill us if we don’t tell her. But Molly and mom may come out tonight.“ I mention.


We got the seats installed and got the kids in their seats. Surprisingly Gus was okay with sitting between Patrick and Sunny. We went to drive past the diner but saw Ted going inside.


“We might as well go in. Ted will tell them. I also see Emmett and Blake. Who is with Emmett?” I ask.


“That’s Drew Boyd. Remember him?” Brian informs me as we find a place to park.


“Oh yeah. There’s Deb and Carl too. Ted made her sit down.” I tell Brian. Now we know that everyone is about to know.


“Well let's go in. I’d rather do this now and not have a houseful of people later.” Brian says as he gets out of the car.


Brian sticks his head in the door. “You guys ready?“


“BABY!! SUNSHINE!” Deb screams as she launches toward the door.


I tried to hide behind Brian but he had the kids in front of him, so I just brace myself.


Emmett made it to us first. “Need to breath Ems.” I say as I hug the exuberant man back.


“Unhand him Ems. Deb wants a turn.” Brian declares.


Deb let go of Gus and latched onto me and didn’t want to let go. “Tell us what happened. I know about the fight. But Ted said you were hurt?”


“An explosion in a small town in Italy. I had amnesia. Deb.“ I start to explain.


Brian interrupted saying, “Let me tell her.“


“Deb, Gus was there as well. He was in the room with Justin when he woke up. Linds died in the explosion.“


I take over telling the story. “I don’t know where Mel and JR are. Maybe the girls split up. But while I was recovering, I got a bad headache. I had a dream about Brian. When I woke up, I had my memory back. I already had Gus with me and he had a broken leg. He did therapy for two months to recover. And he is as good as new!”


Deb says “I’m going to feed you before you go home.” Suddenly it hit her. “ But oh God. Lindsay dead?“ Her tears began to fall.


Brian goes over to Deb to help comfort her. “Deb we can get KFC or anything. We will have dinner at the house one Sunday and you can help Alice cook.”


Just then the door to the diner flew open.


“Oh my God. Justin!!” My mother grabs me in a hug. Crying on my shoulder adding, “You have a scar.”


“I’m ok mom, and I’m home for good. I can retire.“ I let her, and everyone else, know.


Brian added “We are gonna try again.”


I wrap my arms around Brian’s waist. “I feel so lucky you want to.”


“I know you want to visit more. But as Justin said he’s home for good. Jenn feel free to come out to the house tomorrow. Ted? Okay with you if I take the day off?”


“Sure Bri. I think we only need a half day anyway”