- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
More of the mystery
Missing You- Chapter 5

Justin and Brian were having lunch at Kinnetik with the kids when Cynthia told Brian a Mr Stewart was there to see them. They head for the office while Molly takes over.

“ Hello Mr. Stewart. Is there more information? “ Justin and Brian shake Mr Stewart’s hand.

“ Yes. They found wood fragments from an arrow on the ground near the spot a sign was on a pole. A substance on the sign remnants was part of an explosive. The explosive was on the arrow.
Justin you and Gus were very lucky. Pieces of the sign hit you. The bigger piece hit Lindsey killing her on impact. From what authorities found out a witness saw a small boy running towards the spot Justin was standing. Have you asked Gus about what happened? “

“ No we haven’t. He hasn’t said anything to us about his mom.” Brian said.

Justin added, “ He cried when I talked to him about her and asked why it happened. But that’s all. Wait! Is that why they asked for my fingerprints in Italy? They just asked me they didn’t explain why.”

“ Most likely they were trying to piece things together and that was routine. I was told they have fingerprints taken from the picture frames and from inside the boxes that don’t belong to the shippers.”

“ Does anyone know where Sam Auerbach and Melanie Marcus are? “ Justin asked. “ I do have a picture with his name on it. It just occurred to me was the name on his supposed picture in his handwriting?”

“ They printed an article about Lindsey in the Toronto Sun-Times. They mentioned that the whole family disappeared. No ones came forth. I would rather you didn’t mention what I have told you. It would be safer not to.
I need to go. I have a plane to catch.”
Mr Stewart shook their hands and left.

“Sunshine I am going to grab some papers to work on this weekend. You have anything to work on?”

“ Nope. Can I help you with your papers?” He slides his arms around Brian’s waist. Brian’s arms encircle Justin and he puts his forehead against Justin’s. “ You might be able to give me some input into Micron oil’s campaign.”

Before leaving town they decide to have dinner at the diner. Going in they get settled in a booth. After talking it over they decide to order the same thing.

“ Hey Deb.” Said Brian. “ We are all gonna have the Pot Roast with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. A bit of Italian Dressing drizzled on them. Iced tea to drink. “

“ Okay hun.”

“ I’ll get their drinks Deb.” Kiki yelled.

Heading for home Brian drives past the loft. “ What the fuck?? There’s a light on!” He says. He starts to pull over but Justin says , “ No!! Let’s keep driving but call the police. I don’t think we should stop at night. And we are sure as hell not going in. Let’s go back to
The diner.”

Deb looks up when they enter the diner again. “ What you guys doing back?”

“ There was a light on in the loft. We called the police then told them we were coming here. “

After about 30 minutes Carl called and asked them to stay there that he would be right there. When he entered the diner he had J.R. in his arms. Deb turned white as a sheet but managed to sit before she fainted. Carl handed J. R. to her.

Deb sat with the kids while Carl talked to Brian and Justin.

“ She was in the loft.” Carl said. “ Alone.”

“ What!! How did she get in. Since Justin came home I changed the codes. You were the only one of the family I gave the codes to.”

“ The door was unlocked. I have a good memory so I didn’t write the code down anywhere. She was on the couch asleep. Didn’t wake when I picked her up.”

“ I can’t believe someone just left her there alone.” Brian said. “ I wonder if she can shed some light on what is going on?”
_________ the next morning at Debs

“ where’s daddy and why am I here Gamma Deb?” J.R. asks rubbing the sleep from her eyes?”

“ Grandpa Carl brought you here. You were sound asleep and didn’t wake till now. You must have been very tired sweetie.”

“ But will he and momma know to look for me here? He said they would be right back.” She said with a worried look on her face.

Trying to stay calm Deb calls Carl at the station and tells him what J.R. said.

“J.R.? When did they leave you at the loft? Where have you been before that? “ Deb asked her? Carl comes in the door with another officer.

“ Last night just before nighttime. We flew in an airplane. We were in Rome. Then New York. Daddy Met us in New York. “

Carl asks her , “ Was anyone else with you in Rome or New York?”

“Mama Linds and Gus was but momma said they had to go away. We were in a building with lots of pictures. Then mamas friend Sam said we had to leave. Then we stayed in a cabin somewhere and Sam left. Then we flew to New York.” A big yawn hit her and Deb put her to bed for a nap.

“ Carl, what was Sam Auerbach doing with Melanie and why didn’t Mike say he met them in New York.”

“That’s what I want to know. Deb this is getting big. The FBI will be taking over. I’m sorry but I have to keep things quiet. Lindsey was killed and Gus and Justin hurt in the blast. It actually could be dangerous to you to know more. Do you understand? I love you and don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“ I don’t like this not knowing but I do understand. I love you too. Be careful.”
Chapter End Notes:
I welcome suggestions. Ty for your comments.