- Text Size +


Shoving Michael against the wall Melanie’s face is red with rage. “What the fuck do you think you were doing? There was no reason to shoot at Justin! He shouldn’t have been hurt in the first place. I know you’ve always hated Justin. Even if he wasn’t with Brian, you were never going to have him. No Michael. Never. The children are Justin’s. He sold sperm in New York. Brian put in a description of Justin. He loves him. There will be no one else for Brian. I might not like him, but I know him. He always loved Justin. He was too scared of the feelings Justin awoke in him. There will be no other person for Brian.”


“I don’t believe that. He always said...”


“MICHAEL!! Don’t become a liability.” Turning away she goes to her room. “Don’t go

anywhere, Michael.”


“I just wanted to scare him away. Get him to leave Brian again. Oh, God! She’s insane. Why did I help her? It was my bow and arrows. God, did she aim to blow Lindsay up? That’s sick. Twisted. I can’t imagine how seeing that would have affected Gus. I’m an accessory to what she did. I abandoned my daughter. I don’t know how to get out of this.”

_________________________


Brian, Justin, and Brandon are having lunch at the diner. The kids are sitting at a table with Debs. “I have no clue as to where they are hiding, or if they are even in the area. However, I talked to Ben Bruckner. Michael has a set of the Green Arrow’s bow and arrows. Ben says they are gone. He’s devastated.”

The bell sounds and they look at the door.

“Leda. It’s been a while,” Brian drawls. Standing, he hugs the rebellious woman.

“Stud! You are looking good. Justin, the conqueror of Brian’s heart, you too. Is that Gus over there with Deb? Who are those adorable kids with him?”

“That’s Patrick Cole and Sunny Marie. I gave birth to them, Leda. Long story; I’ll tell you more later. Brandon Greene, this is Leda, an old flame of Melanie’s.”

“Nice to meet you, Leda. You wouldn’t happen to know where Melanie is, would you?”

“I read some of what’s happened in the paper. She’s involved in this? Lindsay is really dead? Sam Auerbach too?”

“Yes, she is. Michael Novotny-Bruckner is, as well. They were shot with arrows.”

“She was on the Archery Team in college. A crack-shot too. I don’t know what’s happened to her. She was rabid in her hatred for Brian. She couldn’t stand that she wasn’t as well off as him. It sounds like things got to be too much for her and she cracked. She… she went into a rage once and beat a girl up. She was underage and a lawyer friend of her parents got it erased from her records. I know of a place she may be. I saw her just before they moved away. She told Lindsay she was going to a conference. We spent a week at this cabin outside of P-Town. I tried to get her to take J.R. and leave with me. She wouldn’t go. She was determined to move and get Brian out of their lives. She scared me a little then. She was ranting wildly and threw a bottle of JB through a window. I can tell you where the cabin is. I should mention, she also owns a gun. Or did. A Smith and Wesson.”

_______________


Later That Day...

I’ve got to get out of here. God, I hate the woods but if I can get through them, I’ll throw myself on the mercy of the police. I just need to get to the road and find a ride. God, I promise I will leave Justin alone. I can’t say I’ll like him, but I’ll accept that Brian loves him. Okay, I’m gonna try to get out of here without her hearing me.

Michael slips out the door and heads to the woods planning on staying close to the dirt road leading out so he won’t get lost. Suddenly a sharp excruciating pain goes through him. He falls to the ground. He hears shots. Where did Melanie get a gun? I don’t want to die. Barely staying conscious, he looks and realizes she had to shoot him with a gun.

Managing to raise up a bit he sees Melanie raise the gun to shoot again. More shots and her body jerks. Oh my God!! Is she dead? Somebody help me. I don’t want to die. He lets his body flop to the ground and everything goes dark.


Cautiously, Brandon comes out of the woods where he was hiding. He goes to Melanie's body. Carl pulls up, slamming the brakes on, and at Brandon’s nod, he runs to Michael and checks him for a pulse. He tells Brandon who has run over, that his pulse is low but he’s alive. Brandon tells 9-1-1 Michael is alive, but weak.

“Melanie?” Carl asks. Keeping pressure on Michael’s chest with his jacket.

“She’s dead. She shot at me after shooting Michael. She was aiming at Michael to shoot again.”


__________________

Allegheny General Hospital:


The family is all here. After temporarily winning the fight to stabilize Michael, they air-lifted him to Pittsburgh.


Debbie and Carl come back to the waiting room along with JR and Gus. They had said, what they hoped, weren’t their last goodbyes to Michael. Brian leans on the door in exhaustion, grief, and fear for the friend of better times in his life. Jennifer and Molly get the kids together to care for them. Justin cautiously approaches Brian, not sure if he wants comforting yet. Brian holds onto Justin as if his life depended on it. His tears flow freely. Justin finally gets him to sit down. He holds onto his hand with his arm across his shoulders. 

Ben comes out about fifteen minutes later; Hunter is by his side.

“They almost lost him. He crashed after Brian left the room. I’m not excusing him. But I know why he did this. Or, I think I have an idea about it. “

Carl leaned forward and placed a hand on Ben's arm. “ What happened, son?”

“My numbers dropped. I could barely stay awake. The first new med didn’t agree with me. The second helped, but it’s very expensive. I filled out some papers and I got six months of pills. Brian, you, Ems, and Ted gave Michael the trip to Europe for the comic-con. It should coincide with Justin’s show. I know he said he wanted to try to talk to Justin and get him to come home. Why he didn’t just tell you, Brian, that he blocked the number, I don’t know. He took his bow and arrows because they were running a contest with the prize tickets for six future cons. I believe he somehow knew where Justin was and packed up and went to speak with him. Somehow he found the girls and overheard something. I think he tried to blackmail them. I think Mel saw the bow and arrows and offered Michael money to use them. He then came home and later went to meet Mel and Sam. He was unconscious and I let my mind wander. I think he wanted money for more pills.” He scrubbed his face. Then sat down. “ If he lives, I'm going to stand by him.”

“Ben, we wouldn’t expect anything else,” Carl replied. Then shook his head.

“Look, guys. I know you want to be here, but the surgeon said this would take a couple of hours. Why don’t you get out of here for a while? We will call you. Go on Carl, Ben and Hunter are here. I’ll be fine. Really go,” Deb implored, of Carl and the guys.


Brian and Justin stood up and hugged Deb. Brian just a tad longer. “ I love you, maw. We’re gonna check in at Kinnetik. We both keep a change of clothes at the loft. We’ll probably shower and rest a bit. I’ll set the alarm for an hour and we’ll head back here.”


“You’ll do no such thing. No alarm set. Michael will get through this. He’ll most likely be out for a while after the surgery. Em, Ted, you two, scoot too. “


“Blake texted that he and Drew took the kids to the park. Maybe we will join them for a bit.”


After they left, Debs went over to Ben and pulled him in for a hug. Hunter stood and put an arm around each of them.


“Maybe we should have told them what the surgeon said. But I just couldn’t. It’s such a risky operation. They aren’t certain they can even remove the bullet. What gets me, is he knew the family would help you all. Hell, with Brian’s client connections, maybe he could have found someone who helps provide free or reduced pill prices.”


Carl pulls her over to sit down. “Deb, hon. With what happened, do you think Melanie would have let Michael leave Italy? She couldn’t have been thinking sanely. Hell, Lindsay was trying to get away and thought Justin could help her. Lord God, we could have lost Justin too. “

Looking at Carl and seeing the tension in his body, Deb grabs him in a tight hug. “I know, Carl. I’m expecting the worse here. It will still hurt, but I’m not expecting him to pull through. Thank God JR will still have Ben, Hunter, and us.”

____________

Outside the hospital, Brian, Justin, Ted, and Ems were talking.

“You know they aren’t telling us something,” Brian said. “When Ben told us about Mike crashing he started to say more.” He took a deep shuddering breath. Justin rubbed comforting circles on his back.

“You’ve known Mikey the longest,” Ems said. “This is bound to be harder on you than me and Ted. Don’t try to be strong, and for fuck’s sake, don’t close up on us. We are here to support you too. You let Sunshine be there for you. You hear, Brian?”

Brian nodded his head. Tears escaped, running down his cheeks.

Justin shook his head. “Maybe I should have left Gus with Cynthia and left.”

“No!” Ted shouted. “No guilt trips. You heard Ben. I agree with what he said. He did this to get more pills for Ben. I know he tried to keep Justin away with things he did. He always did over the years. But he loved Ben. If he didn’t, Brian, he would have tried to get together with you with Justin missing. You listening to me, Brian? You are not the cause of his actions.”

“Yeah, you are right, Ted. It’s still hard thinking of what happened. You know, since you started working for me, we have grown closer. Our husbands should be our best friend. But I guess Em will have to share you with me.”

He grabs Ted in a big bear hug, which he returns. “Damn Theodore, you have some strength in those arms.”

They each take their leave, planning on coming back later.

Brian and Justin get to Kinnetik, where Cynthia is handling everything alone.


“Everything going alright, Cyn?” Brian checks some files on his desk where she is working in his absence.

“Yes. I cleared the next week. Family emergency. How is Michael?”

“In surgery. He crashed just before they took him in. Considering the area the bullet is lodged in, I think it’s going to take a miracle to take it out and have Michael survive. I’m gonna make a call. Justin, check in with Molly. I’ll be in the conference room.”

Stepping inside the conference room. He hears Brian ending his call.

“Thank you, Mr. Remsen. I’ll get the papers to Ben as soon as... I hear the machine. That was fast. Thank you again.” He takes Justin in his arms and tells him Remsen is going to provide Ben with the pills he needs. Yes, it will mean a sizable donation. But if it’s the pill Remsen thinks it is, well, Ben could actually live long enough to see old age. Look how long Vic lived. The meds weren’t anywhere near what they are now.”

“That’s great news. If Michael gets through this, it will be a stress reliever for them both.”

Hugging Brian and giving him a kiss, he says, “What do you say about us heading to the loft and I help you relieve some of your stress before a nap.”

___________________

Heading back to the hospital they arrive and walk in with Em and Ted. Blake runs up behind them. He kisses Ted then says. “Drew is watching the kids. I wanted to be here for all of you if you need me.”

The doctor walks into the private waiting room. He grabs a chair and sits in front of them. “Excuse me for sitting, but I’m exhausted. It was tough. I’m going to say it was touch and go. He crashed twice more. The bullet is out. If he wakes and wants to see anyone, I will let you go in and speak with him.”

“Doctor, I get the feeling you don’t expect my son to make it.”

“I’m sorry, but right now, the odds are against him. But others have made it with less. I’ll still be in the building, but if you will excuse me, I’m going to rest for a bit.”

“ Of course. Thank you, Doctor.” Ben said.

They sat quietly. Deb crying quietly in Carl’s arms. Hunter, eyes red, stared in shock. Ben looked gutted. After a half an hour passed, Brian sat by Ben. “While we were gone, I spoke to Remsen Pharmaceuticals. If you will fill this out, I will fax it back and your pills will be free. When Mike comes to, it will ease his mind to know about this.“


“Brian, I don’t know what to say. Thank you.” Ben hugged him. “Thank you, so much.”

“It’s what families are for. Even with our odd mix,” Brian said, rolling his bottom lip in.

Another hour later, a nurse came out and said he was awake and wanted to talk to Justin.

Alone.

Walking in the room, Justin had to steel himself. Michael had a grey look to his skin.

“Justin, I want to say I’m sorry for how I acted towards you. I know you might not believe me, but I went to Italy to get you to call Brian. I know I blocked your number on his phone. Why didn’t I just tell him? I was afraid you wouldn’t answer your phone. I bumped into the girls with Sam Auerbach. They were fighting over something. Mel saw the bow and asked if she could borrow it. Said she wanted to scare Linds. She told me what they were doing with the paintings. I told her the bow was rare and hard to find. I told her Ben was on a pill now that is very expensive. I asked her for $7,500 to use the bow. She agreed. I shot the arrow at the tree, not you. I was blaming you for the mess I was in. I need to rest, but first promise me, a Kinney promise, that you will take care of Brian. I love Ben, but Brian was always there for me. Even when I should have taken care of my own problems.”

At Justin’s nod, he smiled and closed his eyes. The alarms went off. Justin got out of the room quickly. Brian was waiting outside for him. He ran to Brian and held him close. “He... he crashed. He talked and talked. Ben was right. He did this for him. He wouldn’t let me get a word in. He looks bad. I feel like I should have walked out. But no, that would have upset him more.”

“Shhh. It’s not your fault. You heard the doctor. The odds were against him. But the doctors are the best.”

A nurse approaches. Brian tells her they are going to the private room.

Once in the room, it’s obvious they were told. “Before you say anything to Justin, let me tell you, I actually held the door open to listen. He wouldn’t let Justin get a word in. I think he’s given up and wanted to get it all out. He told Justin he was sorry for how he acted towards him. He loves you, Ben, and you were right. He did it for the pills, but Melanie didn’t tell him the truth. She said she only wanted to scare Lindsay. The bow is rare. He asked for enough to get more pills. He then asked Justin to ‘Kinney promise’ to take care of me. All Justin could do was nod his head and then Mikey smiled and closed his eyes.

Then all hell broke loose.” He scrubbed his face to get rid of the tears. Then he sat down, pulling Justin on his lap and holding him tight. They both had their heads buried into each other, sobbing as their hearts were breaking.

*****


Brian’s POV Michael succumbed to his injuries. They were unable to revive him. Maybe with his apology to Justin, and the promise from Justin, he felt it was time to let go. I hope he was serious, and not just trying to pave his way to heaven.
The End.
Frosty70 is the author of 13 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked Missing You also liked 565 other stories.