- Text Size +
7.

Deb slowly entered the police station. Carl was standing at the desk and saw her.

Walking up to her, he asks, “Did you come to bail Michael out?”

Taking a deep breath, she answers, “No. He knew better than to go to Kinnetik, but he’s so obsessed with Brian, he can’t think of anything else. Can we go to your office, please?”

Getting settled, she begins, “Carl, how do I fix this? In spite of the fact that he’s a grown man, he’s stuck at fourteen. Carl, I had this, ‘I’m always right’ attitude, until Kiki sat me down and had a talk with me. Vic helped a lot with Michael, but before he got sick, he had his own life to live. He lived in New York for a while working as a cook. After he got sick, I brought him home. He talked a lot with Brian, and he tried to talk to Michael. He tried to tell me that Michael was not suited for Brian. That he was too needy. But I thought Michael would grow up. That he would change under Brian’s influence, but he didn’t. He lived through Brian’s exploits as a gay man. Until Dr. David, he didn’t try to get anyone of his own. Oh, he took a guy home with him the night Brian met Justin and Gus was born. But Carl, the guy had a fake ass and a fake package in his pants!”

She looks at Carl and sees the mirth in his eyes and she laughs. “Can you imagine his face when he saw that? Brian told him to stay home with the guy, but naturally, he had to go. I can see now where Michael twisted Brian’s words at times to suit Michael’s imagination. I blamed Brian so many times when I shouldn’t have. Brian’s parents were abusive, but he’d always say no when I tried to get him to tell the truth when a broken bone sent him to the hospital. If I thought I would have had a chance to keep him, I would have handled things differently. But being gay was disapproved of back then, more than it is now.

“I know it’s wrong on some level, but the bad in Brian’s life gave him the strength to fight and work harder to get out of that life. He got a four-year soccer scholarship, then an academic scholarship and finished his Master’s in one year. Brian helped Michael with his schoolwork, and he helped him get through school. I think Ted does his books now.

“To get back to his time dating Dr. David. He started acting like him; the man could be friendly, but he was a snob. Brian hated him, and I thought like Michael did, that he was just jealous of David. But now I realize that Brian knew David was bad for Michael. David hosted a benefit for Senator Baxter, and Michael didn’t want us there. Diane and I hit it off. Michael got mad and queened out over that. I forgave him, but I know now I shouldn’t have. We had Diane over for dinner, and Michael came in and just stood looking at me. Not once did he say sorry, he just expected me to forgive him. And I did forgive him, and I expected the guys to forgive him too. Oh well, I can’t change things in the past. But I can try to figure out how to do better in the future. I’m just sure I know how to. I better go. Thanks so much for listening to me, Carl.”

She gets up to leave when Carl stops her. “Deb? Suppose I try to talk to Michael. I know he resents me, but maybe, well, I’ll try to be a father-figure to him. I can’t promise anything, but I’ll try.”

“Oh Carl, thank you! All any of us can do is try. You can tell him about my talk with Kiki. She won’t care.” He raises her hand and kisses it.

“I’ll see you later, Deb.”

As Deb leaves, Carl tells another officer, “Fred, I’m going to talk to Michael Novotny. It might take a little while, I’m not sure.”

Michael was alone in the cell as the others were out in the exercise yard. He was stretched out on his bunk looking miserable. When Carl came in, he scowled and crossed his arms over his chest.

“I suppose you’re responsible for Ma leaving me in here.”

“No Michael, I’m not. Kiki sat down with your mother and had a talk with her. She got your mom to take off her rose-colored glasses and see the truth. You need to grow up and face some truths.”

“The only truth I see is Boy Wonder has brainwashed Brian to do what he wants. Brian doesn’t do boyfriends, partners, or whatever the hell they are. He fucks, and Justin is the twink that never left. He promised we would be two old queens living in Palm Springs when we retired. He told me he loves me.”

“Michael, he didn’t mean it that way. Tell me something. Didn’t Brian say he would die young? He never meant to be alive to retire to Palm Springs. If Justin hadn’t come along, eventually Brian’s lifestyle would have killed him. In a way, you could say he was trying to commit suicide.”

“He wasn’t doing that!”

“Michael, Brian talked to me about the bashing and his attempted scarfing. He was freaking out about his age. I asked him if he realized he could have died. He said yes, but he really didn’t care. Does that sound like someone who was happy with his life?”

“I can’t believe that he didn’t care. I can’t!” Tears streamed down his face.

Carl pulled him to him and wrapped his arms around him. Then looking at him he says, “Listen to me, okay?”

Michael nods.

“Brian needs someone to challenge him. To call him on his shit. To just plain love him for who Brian is, deep down inside.”

He puts his hand up as Michael starts to say something. “The night Justin met Brian, he had no clue about his reputation. All he saw was a gorgeous man who was gentle with him, who took his time to lead him slowly through what I’m calling a rite of passage for a young gay man. Justin is genius-level smart. That’s not a dig, just a fact. He also comes from the wasp community. Their children are raised to know how to handle themselves in public. Society parties and that type of stuff. With Brian’s business, he gets in similar situations at times. Michael, you live and breathe comics. That’s what you know to talk about. That and hot guys. Justin can talk about things that are going on in the world. When you were with Dr. David, could you talk about the topics they did? Truthfully?”

Grudgingly, he admits, “They were very uppity people. All I could do is listen. Most of it I didn’t understand. I guess I’m dumber than most.”

“Not dumb, Michael. You know more about comics than most people. You know the value. You know how to handle and care for them. You can talk about them in detail. Somewhere out there, there’s someone for you. But if you don’t realize Brian will never be more than a friend, you may miss out on meeting that someone. It’s not going to be easy. Brian has a life with Justin now. When you meet someone, you will find that your focus will be more on them. So don’t you think you could step back and let Brian be happy?

“I’d also like to get back with your mother. I promise I won’t hurt her. But she deserves a life. You know if you would save money and go to more Comic-Cons, you might meet someone there. Maybe throw yourself into updating your shop. Buy some game machines that have some superhero games to sell. You might be surprised by what comes along. Okay?”

“I guess I could give it a try. But after all these years of hanging out with Brian, Emmett, and Ted, it’s not gonna be easy.” He wiped a tear away.

Carl pulled him in for a hug and just let him cry. “Son, I’ll be there for you if you need a shoulder. Promise me that you will come and talk to me if you need to. Okay?”

Michael wiped his eyes and nodded. “I will. Thanks, Carl.”

“That’s okay. Now, let’s get you out of here. I don’t want to see you back here again. Got it?”

“Got it.”

_______________

When Michael stepped into the diner, Em and Ted steeled themselves for the worst. Deb wasn’t sure what to do. Michael walked back to their booth.

“Hi, guys. Umm, look. I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting. Ted, could you tell Brian and Justin that I’m sorry? It’s time that I put my childhood fantasies behind me. Brian has found his soulmate, I need to accept it and go on with my own life. Hopefully someday, I can find someone who will love me that way.

“Uh, Ma? Carl and I had a nice talk. He helped me to see some truths. I’m actually glad you told me ‘no’. I love you, Ma. I’ve gotta get to the shop. Later y’all.”

_______________

Later at the Shop...

“Can I help you with something?”

“Yes, I teach at Carnegie Mellon. I’m trying to find some comics to use in my gay studies class.”
Chapter End Notes:
Well, the smackdowns finally made Michael see some truths, and to let go of the past and get on with his future.
The End.
Frosty70 is the author of 13 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked THE SMACKDOWN also liked 542 other stories.