- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

An intervention at Debs.

4.

After signing the papers for their partnership, Brian and Justin made arrangements and had a commitment ceremony. They picked out rings with their birthstones and a diamond in the middle to wear. Jennifer, Ted and Blake, Emmett and Drew (yes, he turned 21), and Daphne and Cynthia were there. Brian then left Cynthia and Ted in charge of Kinnetik and surprised Justin with a three-day weekend in Vermont. They had big picture windows in the living room and bedroom. There was a heavy snowfall that was so beautiful to watch. When they returned to the Pitts, they both dreaded, yet looked forward to telling the munchers and the Novotny’s about what they'd done.

The week was a busy one. Brian was trying to catch up on the work at Kinnetik and Justin was going to school, and working in the art department. Justin got home first on Friday. He started fixing the steaks on the indoor grill, and after buttering the potatoes and getting them in the oven, he fixed a nice garden salad. When Brian got home, they took a quick shower and sat down to eat. Hearing the phone ring, Justin started to get up, but Brian placed a hand on his arm and said wait.

“Brian, I want you and Justin at dinner tomorrow night. See you then.” They looked at each other, silently communicating the way only they knew how to.

“Let’s call Ted and Em and see if they got calls from her. She sounded strange.”

After both calls confirmed that only he and Justin had been invited, Brian convinced Ted and Em to show up along with their partners. For once, they were going to meet at the loft and go to Deb’s together. They were all sure it was an intervention to try to bring Brian back under Michael and Deb’s thumb.

On Saturday, Em made a main meat dish, Blake made a dessert, and Justin put a Waldorf Salad together. Arriving at Deb’s, they found Michael, Melanie, and Lindsey there. Justin saw that Lindsey had her wasp face on. That wasn’t going to work with Justin.

“Hey, asshole! Where do you get off thinking you can jump Deb in front of the whole diner?” snarled Mel.

Placing a placating hand on Mel’s arm, Lindsey started in, “Brian, I really don’t think you realize the mistake you made. Deb and Michael did so much for you. Justin is still a kid. He needs to go out and find younger friends. You know you’re not ready to settle down and...”

Looking at each other, Brian gives a small nod to Justin. But before Justin can speak, Blake steps in.

“How many years will he owe them? I’ve talked to Brian and know what he went through. My question is, why didn’t you turn his folks in? Even if he didn’t want you to, he should have been taken out of that house! Deb, you wanting Brian to help you raise Michael, is wrong. No! Not a word! If you had let Michael handle his own problems, he might not be the whiny, controlling asshole he is now! BACK OFF!!”

Justin steps up closer to the girls. “Lindsey, your wasp manipulations aren’t going to work on Brian anymore. We have been talking a lot more openly. I explained how the girls in the families are taught to manipulate their men. He understands how you work now.” Turning to Melanie, Justin addresses her, “You and Brian share some personality traits. So you will clash at times. But you need to learn how to ignore Lindsey when she feels she needs attention. She will flip her hair and put her 'poor me' eyes on and say things that make Brian the bad guy in your eyes.” Looking at all four of them, he then said, "Brian defended me for once against Michael. We are closer now. ACCEPT IT! I’m not going anywhere.”

With that said, Brian took Justin’s left hand in his. “He’s my husband. We BELONG to each other. WE SIGNED LDP’s and had a commitment ceremony. We honeymooned in Vermont. I LOVE HIM! If you guys can’t accept that, then you won’t have us as friends.”

Em and Ted looked at their partners and each other. Then Ted spoke up. “You won’t have us either. Since all of this happened, we have bitten our tongues to keep quiet while we listened to you and Michael whine, Deb. Melanie, open your eyes and take a good look at your wife. You used to be a strong, take charge person. I know you are a busy lawyer, but you are placing your career ahead of your family. You are letting Lindsey twist your thinking. She has beaten you down. Brian loves his son very much. Snort if you want to, but we all can see that. Yet he gave up his rights to keep Lindsey from doing something illegal. I saw the pain in his eyes.”

“You are all self-righteous cunts! I don’t know where the caring people we knew went. Or were we all blinded by the way you twist words? Michael and his insults that are covered up by his 'I didn’t mean it that way'. Michael, you go to Babylon or Woody's and try to arrange tricks for Brian. You act like a pimp! You run off anyone that may put your dreams of Brian being your superhero and living someday with you, in danger. But Justin has your number. He has made mistakes. We all do. But he never gave up on Brian. He fights for what he wants. He and Brian are happy. The Avenue knows this now, and they will protect their king and his prince.”

Brian stood there stunned at all he heard. Justin? He wasn’t surprised to hear him defending him. But Ted and Em as well? A warmth spread through him. A bit more of the terrified, hurt little boy, who only wanted to be loved, healed.

Looking at Ted and Em he said, “Ted, Em, how about we go to the loft and eat the food we made? We can spend the afternoon together.” Seeing Gus sit up from the couch he’d been napping on, he walked over and picked him up. “Girls, I’m going to take Gus with us. I’ll drop him by later this evening around five.” His glare and determined look in his eyes kept them quiet. Melanie gave a short nod of her head and Lindsey tried to glare, but dropped her head and kept quiet.

Taking Justin’s hand and giving Ted and Em a nod, he headed for the door. "Intervention’s over folks.” With a final glance at Deb, he said, “What happens in the future is up to you, Deb. But understand, Michael won’t change. The friend I knew and loved as a brother once, is gone. Later.”

The rest of the day was spent unwinding from the tension they’d felt. Brian opened up a bit more and laughed and joked openly with the remaining gang, and often shared occasional loving touches with Justin. Gus was thrilled to be with his daddy, his Juss, and his 'uncles'. Later, a tired but happy little boy was delivered to his mothers.
Chapter End Notes:

Hmm. Wonder what will happen next? Will Melanie wise up? Will Deb let Michael off the apron strings?