- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lindsey

DAPHNE TAKES CHARGE

CHAPTER THREE
____________

“Hey Sunshine! I’m gonna grab a couple of sandwiches and some soup from the diner for dinner. I’ll get some lemon bars too. Ok? I’ll probably try to talk to Deb too. Don’t worry I can handle it. Hey, if she wants to blame me she can. I know, Baby. You are there if I need you. Love you too.”

Going in the door he sees Em sitting at their booth alone. He slides in across from him after putting in his order. Hmmm, he thinks maybe Deb doesn’t work tonight. “Hey Em.”

“Hey Bri. Look what is going on with you and Mike?”

“Well, Sunshine and I had a long talk and we are back together. You do know, well I think you do, a lot of our trouble, besides me needing to open up, has been Mikey pushing buttons. Jus went with me to New York for work and we had a blast. We’ve had a couple of good talks as well. I love Justin, Em. I told him that. He fits is all I can say. I told Mikey he has to accept that I’m with the man I want if he wants to be friends.”

“Brian I know Mikey feels like he owns you. I’ve seen that. But until you opened your eyes and realized that I couldn’t say anything. But I’m so glad you and Baby worked things out. Oh don’t growl. Justin is like my little brother. Let me help you take care of him too. But as a big brother. Okay?”

“Thanks for understanding. I still have Lindsey to deal with. Justin and I talked to Mel. I think things will be better with her. Least I hope so. Em, I understand how you feel about Justin.”

Paying for the food he heads out.

__________

AT THE LOFT

“Hey Baby! Setting the food down he wraps his arms around Justin and gives him a kiss. How was school? Settling to eat, they talk about their day.

“It was good. I’ve picked my classes for next year. I need to find another job.”

“Baby, you know I can handle things, but I understand you need to stand on your own feet too. You have mornings off Tuesday and Thursday right? And the afternoon free on Friday?”

“Yes. Not sure what next year will be. Why?”

“Let me talk to Vance. There is a fraternization clause, but since we are already established maybe he will let you work there anyway. Not promising, but I’ll see.”

“I hope I can. I’ve done some thinking. I want to be an artist and I feel I have gotten a start, but I really don’t want to be a starving artist either. Artists are a dime a dozen in New York or Chicago. “

The buzzer goes off. Someone is holding it down. Brian thinks it’s Michael. But it’s Lindsey. Letting her up he looks at Justin and says, “Here we go.”

“Why the fuck did you tell Mel you give me $3,000 a month? And It’s none of her business if you give me an extra $500.”

“I’m not giving it to you. It’s supposed to be for Gus. Explain to me why Mel thinks I only give you $1500. What are you doing with the other half?”

“Hey Linds. Bri? Maybe we should talk to Mel again."

“What are you doing here Justin? Oh, are you back together again? I’m so glad. You make a cute couple.”

“Yes, we do Linds. Justin fits to my body perfectly. I’m so happy he’s back with me. I really missed him. I love him so much."

“But, back to the money. I think Justin’s right. We will talk to Mel again. I think I will start giving you the $1500 she mentioned. The other half I’ll put in a fund in case of an emergency.”

“Maybe we should give the $1500 to Mel. Let her hang onto it, Bri.”

“If you don’t give me the money as usual you won’t get to see Gus."

“Hey Mel. It’s Justin. Lindsey is here. She says if she doesn’t get the money as usual Brian won’t see Gus.”

“You’re lying. Mel isn’t on the phone.”

Hitting the speaker button Justin says. “Mel, say hi to Lindsey.”

“Lindsey. We don’t need more than $1500 a month. We have already talked about this. You aren’t keeping Brian and Justin from seeing Gus. Now come on home right now.”

“I’m not a child. You can’t talk to me that way Mel.”

“Then quit throwing a trantrum like one. “

“Mel?”

“Yes, Brian?”

“I’m gonna give the other $1500 to you each month. If you want more I will keep the other $1500 in a separate account. Okay?"

“That’s fine Brian. Sorry about Lindsey bothering you. Now Linds, GET YOUR ASS HOME!!”

“You heard your wife, Linds. Go. HOME!"

“But, Peter.”

“Cut out the tears Lindsey. Peter grew up. Time for Wendy to do so too,” Brian holds the door open. “Well, Buh bye.”

“Well! I never! “ she huffs and stomps out.

Fifteen minutes later Justin’s phone rings. “It’s Mel. Hey Mel. Lindsey left. What you need? Oh, okay. She wants it on speaker.”

“Brian? You and I need to get together when you can. I never filed the papers you signed. I’m ripping them up. You’ve still got your rights.”

“Mel? Isn’t there a third party adoption? Can you file for that?”

“I’m not sure I could get it. But I guess I could try Justin.”

“Mel, I’d be glad to help you with a good family lawyer. You are a good mother to Gus. But I’m beginning to wonder about Lindsey,”

“She loves him Brian. She had a rough time growing up,”

“That’s no excuse Mel. Look at my childhood. Granted, I’ve just recently got my head out of my ass. But does she love Gus, or the money for him? Let’s get you on as a third party adoption. That way I can give you the check every month and she can’t cause trouble. Or blow the money."

“Okay Brian. I’ll be in touch soon about it. Thank you.”

Justin wraps his arms around Brian. “You've got your rights Brian. But I hope I’m wrong about what I’m thinking."

“What’s that, Sunshine?”

“I have a feeling you and Mel are gonna end up in a battle in court with Lindsey. Let’s keep the extra $1500 in that separate account. It might come in handy.”

The next day Brian goes to work and talks to Vance about Justin. That afternoon he leaves work and picks Justin up and they go back to Vanguard. The other partners talk to Brian and Justin and look at his portfolio. He walks out with a job in the art department.