- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I don’t know much about mental health. Just wrote this to suit story.

DAPHNE TAKES CHARGE

Chapter 4

*The issues dealt with I have no real knowledge of. It’s written this way for my story.*

Walking in the house Lindsey calls for Mel. Checking everywhere she could be Lindsey breathes a sigh of relief that she is alone. She is furious.

“How dare that little upstart call Mel? I am the mother of Brian’s son. I have a right to some money of my own. Anyway, when did he worm his way back into Brian’s good graces. I...”

“Lindsey! I don’t know what you think you are doing, but you are not entitled to a penny from Brian. The money he gives is for Gus, not you. If you want your own spending money then go back to work! Also, you can’t keep Gus from Brian. He pays money every month without fail for his needs.”

“He has no rights. He signed them away.” She huffs. Crossing her arms across her chest.

“You spend way too much time with Michael, Lindsey. I never filed the papers to adopt Gus. Brian has the same rights as you. So I have made arrangements to do a third party adoption.”

"What? No! He can’t have those rights! He signed them away. I will just get a lawyer and file to take his rights away," She starts to leave but is stopped by Mel’s voice.

“Once again, I never filed the papers. You do that Lindsey and not only will he stop paying for Gus, but I will stand behind his countersuit for Brian and I to take full custody of Gus. The only thing Gus is good for to you is to get money for yourself. Since we made other arrangements you see your funds drying up. As I said, Get! A! JOB!”

Lindsey grabs her purse and heads out. Mel sits there and wipes tears from her eyes. Picking up her phone she calls Brian.

“Brian, it’s Mel. I just had it out with Lindsey. I have a paper stating you have your rights to Gus to get to you plus a stamped legal copy of Gus birth certificate. Also, can you meet me at 3 at David Enright’s office? He texted me that a judge will grant me my adoption of Gus, plus he will appoint Justin as his legal guardian. I’m glad I took Gus to Jennifer Taylor. She knows not to let Lindsey take him. I think she is going to file for full custody of him. We can take steps to prevent her from being alone with him. Brian, I don’t know why but she sounded... um.. I don’t know how to say it, but she just didn’t sound right. Okay, I will see you and Justin at 3. Bye.”
___________________

At Jennifer’s house-

“Hello? This is Jennifer.”

“Hi Jennifer. It’s Lindsey. Do you have Gus? You do? Oh good. Mel is gone. If she has him she will take him with her. I’m going to come pick him up. I’ll be there in a half hour... What do you mean I can’t take him?… Just have him ready.”

“Brian? It’s Mom. Lindsey is headed over this way to get Gus... She said a half hour. She got very agitated when I told her he wasn’t to leave my house. Okay, I will lock everything up and not answer until you and Justin, Mel, or the police, get here.”

Fastening all the deadbolts and securing the windows Jennifer carried Gus upstairs. She sees Lindsey outside earlier than expected. Shortly after that the police and Mel arrive, along with a man who she recognizes as David Enright. Lindsey has a tire iron in her hand and swings it at the police trying to get to Melanie. One of the officers distracts her as another hits her hand with a billy club to disarm her. After cuffing her she’s read her rights and shown the paper asking to take custody away from her, citing she has mental problems. It also asks that she be examined by a psychologist. She still struggles but is wrestled into the police car while screaming profanities.

Jennifer opens the door to let Mel, Brian, and Justin enter. Gus is awake and upset. He reaches frantically for his daddy. Brian takes him to a rocker and soothes him, talking softly. Melanie is barely holding it together, so Jennifer holds her. Justin goes to support Brian as he looks very upset. As Brian calms under Justin’s rubbing his back, Gus calms as well.

Later, Jennifer gets a small glass of white wine for her and Mel and a small glass of Beam for Brian and Justin.

“Do you think we should call Nancy and Ron and tell them Mel?”

“Maybe call Lynette first. I don’t like her but she is more level headed than Ron and Nancy.” Picking her cell up she calls Lynette and tells her everything that has happened.

“Lynette thinks that you two getting back together has sent her over the edge. Brian, it’s not your and Justin’s fault. You both stood up to her. Especially you Brian. We had no way of knowing this would happen,” She kneels down in front of Brian taking his hand. “What’s important is your relationship, with Justin and you and I raising Gus together. Okay?”

“You are right.” Mom? I’m counting on you, Justin, and Mel to help keep my head straight.”

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you liked it.