- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This one is dedicated to Shawn DiGennaro. Hope it was well worth the wait!!! 

 

The chapter is unbetaed so all mistakes are mine. Between Lorie and I, we'll get around to correcting any if necessary eventually. More soon!! 

CHAPTER 2: IT’S ALL ABOUT ACQUISITION AND CONTROL


JUSTIN:


It’s been a bitch of a month, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. For one thing, Michael and Lindsay have been effectively neutralized. At least for the moment, they are both stuck in matrimonial hell, for essentially the same reason - Money. Looking at Brian and me, most people would probably think the same thing, but they would be dead wrong.


For us, it’s the knowledge that our freedom to be together begins with building our empire, in all facets. We still get to choose each other everyday, but we are also  committed to cultivating our shared vision in the way we mean to go on. Both individually and collectively, we realized early on that if we wanted to be able to write our own tickets in this world, the power lay in the ability to make solid decisions, and then make moves under the radar. The element of surprise- when it’s available- is the most effective weapon you have so that no one will ever see you coming, but in the end they know you’ve been there. So, branching our portion of DPAA into a separate subsidiary called Kinnetik is the first step in achieving that goal.


It’s also the reason that Brian and I decided to stick with Lindsay’s original plan that I attend the Gnormon. Fortunately, the school still opted to take all of my former training into consideration, and I’m still a year ahead. However, there are still some classes I want to take to better prep for the remainder of my studies. So for the next six weeks, I signed up to take those classes online so I can get them out of the way while still setting up my Department when I’m in town, and tending to the businesses in the Pitts as required. Later this evening, I’m supposed to meet with my advisor to discuss where I want to take my career as an artist. 


In all honesty, I have a lot of plans, but I don’t want to give voice to them with anyone else just yet, except for maybe Brian. I only say maybe because he and I have a rule about reevaluating shit before it just comes flying out of our mouths haphazardly. We’ve learned that it keeps the arguments down to a minimum, even if we’re on the same page most of the time. But more than that, we resolved to be nothing like Michael and Lindsay in any respect. It helps that we married for the right reasons- ultimately because we wanted to- and have opted to treat this as an interminable dating period, as opposed to an iron-clad contract between two balls and the chains that a simple word like matrimony can imply. 


So whereas chronic foot-in-mouth disease runs rampant between Michael and Lindsay, Brian and I understand that we don’t have time for bullshit misunderstandings. There’s too much to do to see our collective desires met. To that end, I know I need to tell my partner what I’m thinking in terms of my career goals. I know, if nothing else, he’ll be brutally honest with me about their achievability. 


So really, why the hell am I procrastinating about this?


I’m interrupted out of my sudden musing by a knock on my office door. “Hey, Justin. You got a minute?” Murph peeks his head in, before stepping completely inside at my nod. “Everything okay?”


“Yeah, just thinking about the meeting with my class advisor later this evening. What’s up?”


“The account for Thrive. Is it just for the recreation portion of their business, or the whole kit and kaboodle?”


Fuck, I had forgotten to call in the staff we have to discuss the account. With me already running late for the meeting with Juicy Peach’s executives, I hadn’t had a moment to collect myself from this morning’s phone conference. 


“Thanks for the reminder, Murph. I’m zoning, and really can’t afford to right now. Let me share the news with Brian first. Then we’ll call you guys into a brief staff meeting. I know tomorrow has been laid aside for more interviews.” I can’t help but roll my eyes at the thought, even if I know it’s a necessary evil.


“And at that thought alone, I feel like banging my head on the desk in your stead,” Murph says, laughing. 


So far, the interviews for the art department have been the most trying. At times, it seems that we’re looking for needles in proverbial haystacks, but the bottom line is that I have three different sections of an Art department to fill. And that doesn’t even include the clerical or other admin staff. Julian has been a godsend where legal is concerned, but everything else falls to me, Brian, Murph, and Cynthia. In the meantime, Steph is busy getting the rest of our H.R. and temp staff up and running. 


Thankfully, Dee has been willing to lend some of her people to us if we find ourselves in a pinch. It’s another reason I know this partnership is going to go far. According to her, she’s already a die hard fan of the way we work and think as a team. So it’s going to bode well for the company as a whole. It also helps that she seems just as invested in proving to Lindsay- albeit from afar- that she didn’t know shit.


“Right. So let me get in there and see what the next phase of the campaign for Juicy is going to entail, get Brian up to speed about Thrive, and then get back to looking at the resumes. Any ideas in that quarter?”


“Just that you need experienced videographers for both DPAA and Kinnetik. Mack Anderson is already squawking about the amount of work we’re generating.”


“I’m not following,” I say, looking to Murph for clarification. “Granted, he’s one of Dee’s employees, but he’s being paid to actually work. So what exactly is his deal?”


Murph shook his head. “I suppose that he feels somewhat slighted that he was given to the new guys to work with until your departments are fully staffed. Apparently, he feels his talents would be better served with established accounts within the company.”


“I see. Well, hopefully it’s a situation he won’t have to worry about much longer. Truth be told, I’m a bit surprised that for as long as he’s been here, he hasn’t gotten more experience under his belt.”


“That could be because of his attitude about working with any employees brought in after he was signed. He has this superior demeanor that doesn’t seem warranted. Kinda reminds me of…”


“Gardner Vance,” I say, and Murph nods. “Well, we see just how Brian and I dealt with Vance. Perhaps it’s time he receives the same treatment.”


“I wouldn’t object to that,” Murph muttered, before clearing his throat. 


I raise an eyebrow. “That bad, huh?”


“I’ll be honest and say that it isn’t in the least pleasant. But right now, he's who we have to work with."


By the resigned air Murphy is giving off, I'm guessing there is more to this story than what he’s letting on. I eye him until he begins fidgeting under my gaze. “Murph, we’ve always enjoyed an honest relationship, right?”


“Sure. Although sometimes talking to you is like hearing Brian.”


Instead of taking offense, I chuckle. “I would imagine that could be a good or a bad thing, depending on the situation?”


He smiles back briefly. “Mostly good, since you two have a chemistry while working together I haven’t seen in a very long time. It reminds me of the two former partners at Ryder before Marty bought them out.”


I’d heard rumors over the years that William Ernst and Joseph Young were really the advertising geniuses that kept Ryder Advertising on the map, while Marty was just the public figure. I’d also heard other things about their relationship beyond the boardroom, but none of it could be verified at the time. Although now I can't help but wonder if there was some truth to the speculation. 


Reining my wayward thoughts in, I ask, "Murph, I'm going to ask you a question, and I want an honest answer." He swallowed hard, but nodded his head in agreement. Good. "Is most of the problem regarding Anderson because of who I am within this company?"


By the slight hitch in Murphy's breathing, I know I'm right. So it wasn't a surprise when he said, "Yeah. Or at least that's part of it."


"And the other?" I could tell he was trying to choose his words carefully, but I wasn't having any of it. "Spill it, Murphy."


"Okay…" he huffed, before saying it again. Clearing his throat, he said, "It's also been about just how you got the position, Brian’s borderline tendencies towards being a pedo, and the seeming unfairness that employees who have been here for years were not even being considered for the partnership; although none of it was voiced in that particular order."


"It shouldn’t have been uttered at all." I wish I could say I was surprised, but I wasn't. I suppose after dealing with Michael and Lindsay for so long, I've come to expect any and all sly innuendo aimed at me and Brian. Strangely, it doesn't even hurt anymore, the way those insults and accusations used to. Instead, they just piss me off and make me want to really show my ass. So that's exactly what I'm going to do after I bring Brian up to speed. I will leave it up to him to decide if he wants Dee in the briefing or not. But addressing Anderson needs to come from me. 


"Murph, please inform everyone that I expect them in the conference room in half an hour."


"Justin… I know that look."

 

"Good. And no doubt by the time this workday is over, everyone else will, too." I nod for Murphy to leave the office, even while dialing Brian.