- Text Size +
DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.





A Broken Promise

“Hey, Sunshine, come congratulate me. Your partner just made partner,” Brian calls out as he slides back the heavy metal door into the loft.

Brian sets down his luggage and calls out again. “Justin?”

There's no reply. The loft is quiet and unlit.

He puts the bottle of champagne into the refrigerator and strolls up to the bedroom.

Everything is tidy, in fact, too tidy.

There's no evidence of the messy blonde who inhabits the loft most of the time.

Justin comes and goes most every day, but Brian thinks it strange.

Nothing is out of place.

Maybe, he's got late classes, or he's working at the diner.

Or else?

Putting other possibilities out of his mind, he changes out of his business suit and into jeans and a charcoal woollen sweater.

Grabbing his black leather jacket, he slips it on and heads out of the loft.

The cool night air hits him as he leaves the building and strolls down toward the bar.

Coincidentally, as he arrives at Woody's, Michael, Ted and Emmett are just entering. The three of them standing on the steps, welcome him back from his trip.

Trying to remain casual and aloof, he asks, “Have you seen Justin?

I've got some news.”

The trio looks at him, not sure what to say.

Then Michael answers. “He hasn't been around for a couple of days. Said he might still go to Vermont, like you planned.”

“Oh,” Brian huffs, feeling like he's been kicked in the gut. “OK.” He goes to walk away.

Ted asks, “What's the news?”

“Nothing important.” Brian walks away, puffing on his cigarette.

The boys head into Woody's none the wiser, ready to enjoy their evening out.

Brian walks down the street slowly at first. He's upset to think Justin would go away without him. He thought the kid understood how important this business trip was.

He'd taken an enormous chance, risked his career on it and it had paid off.

And the one person he wants to share that with is nowhere to be found.

'Great!' Brian thinks. 'Might as well head back to the loft and drown my sorrows all by myself.'

'Story of my life,' he ponders sadly. 'All by myself, as usual. Only Justin would be happy and excited for me. No matter. Got an expensive bottle of wine, some recreational drugs. I'll be fine. Might even arrange some other entertainment for later.'

Brian quickens his pace and ten minutes later stands outside his building. He hesitates going inside. He's gotten used to the cheeky blonde being there. Even looks forward to seeing him every day.
But, right now, the loft is empty. Like it used to be, before he came along.

Brian likes the solitude and somehow Justin understands that. He knows when to leave him alone or just be quiet.

Some of the best times Brian Kinney now enjoyed were when they were alone together, some nights just relaxing. Justin might be sketching, Brian reading. It was comforting and comfortable.

They actually complemented each other, respecting the other's personal space.

He pushes open the door, not looking forward to the oppressive silence that awaits him upstairs. Foregoing the elevator, he trudges up the steps prolonging his return to the loft.

Stopping outside the heavy metal door, he sighs deeply before unlocking and sliding it open.

He steps inside and is immediately assaulted with a delicious aroma.

Glancing to his left, a smile forms on his lips.

“You're back!”

“You noticed!” Brian replies as he strolls casually across to the blonde behind the counter. “Got back a while ago.”

“Yeah, I figured. Saw your luggage. Sorry I wasn't here, my class ran late.” Justin puts down the wooden spoon he's using to stir a large pot on the stovetop and then embraces Brian, wrapping his arms around the taller man's neck.

Tentatively, they kiss briefly. Then the kiss deepens until the need to breath breaks them apart.

They hold each other for several minutes neither prepared to break the silence or the mutual contact.

Finally, Justin pulled back slightly and with reasonable force swats Brian on the chest.

“Ow!” Brian gasps. “What was that for?”

“Why the fuck didn't you tell me how important this trip was?” Justin asks sternly.

“I thought I did.” Brian smirks, playfully reaching for the blonde.

“I don't always understand exactly what you mean, Brian. If you'd taken the time to explain properly, I might have been more amenable. I had to find out from Cynthia.” Justin angrily explains.

“Sunshine, I'm sorry. I guess I didn't make it very clear, did I? My whole career was at stake.”

“I know that now.” Justin retorts.

“The guys said you might have gone to Vermont, they hadn't seen you for a while.”

“I thought about it. I'd already arranged the time off from the diner. Would have served you right if I had.”

“Yeah, it would have. Justin, I am sorry.”

“I thought sorry's bullshit.”

“Usually. I didn't realise how much I'd upset you. But, I have good news.”

“Really?” Justin is still miffed.

“I got the account I was after, and the partnership.” Brian proudly states.

“I'm happy for you.”

Brian knows he had a lot to make up for. He edges closer to the man who'd become so much a part of his life.

“I wanted you to be the first to know,” Brian whispers sexily. “I came right home to tell you but you weren't here.”

“Where did you go?” Justin asks, leaning slightly towards Brian.

“Went looking for you. I haven't even told Cynthia yet. I brought champagne to celebrate.”

“I saw it.”

“So, what's cooking?” Brian changes the subject.

“Jambalaya.” Justin almost smiles. “I cooked it yesterday.”

“Better the second day, right?”

“Right.”

“Forgive me?” Brian pleads, his intense hazel eyes imploring Justin.

“You really haven't told anyone else?” Justin asks hopefully.

“No-one.”

Justin thinks for a moment then turns and walks into Brian's arms.

“You're forgiven, but Brian you have to tell me these things in the future. Contrary to public opinion, I can't read your mind all the time.”

“I'll try and remember that, Sunshine,” Brian grins. “Now, how about helping your partner celebrate becoming partner?”

“What did you just say?” Justin looks stunned.

“You heard, and don't make me repeat it. Oh, and don't make any
plans for next week.”

“Huh?”

“We're going to Vermont. Just a slight delay in the timetable.”

“You mean it?”

“Every word.” Brian is nearly knocked over by the force of a blonde tornado launching himself at him.

Justin plants kisses all over Brian's face and neck until Brian's laughter stops the younger man. Justin studies Brian's face for a few seconds. He sees a man who is truly happy.

“Why didn't you tell me how important this trip was?” Justin asks.

“I guess I thought you knew.” Brian answers honestly.

“You could have explained it better,” Justin suggests.

“I know. I could've handled it differently. Sorry.”

“Did you just apologise again?”

Brian nods. Justin smiles warmly.

“I'll try and do better,” Brian promises.

“I appreciate that, but all you really have to do is explain properly.”

“I'll remember that,” Brian agrees. “Guess we'll have to make a new reservation.”

“No need. When I realised how serious it was at work for you, I called and put the booking on hold. They were very understanding. Just have to confirm a new date.” Justin grins cheekily.

“Very resourceful, aren't you?” Brian says, gazing into the bluest eyes he's ever seen. “I need a few days to sort some stuff at work, so how's next Saturday?”

“Really?”

“Yeah! What? Is it too soon?”

“No. It would be perfect. I'll go call them now.”

“Hold on.” Brian pulls the eager young man towards him, studies his face and eases into a deep kiss lasting several minutes.

“What was that for?” Justin asks breathlessly.

“Thank you.” Brian states simply.

“For what?”

“For still being here?” Brian curls his lips shyly.

“I'm not going anywhere, Brian.”

“I know.” Brian kisses the blonde hair lightly. “Now, go change that
reservation,” he says, gently pushing Justin in the direction of the phone. “And tell them we want their best suite.”

Justin practically runs to the counter, grabs the phone and is talking with the lodge in no time.

Brian intently watches as the excited blonde makes the new arrangements. Slowly, he wanders over to the window and looks out across the city.

Glancing back at Justin, Brian smiles.

“I love you too, Sunshine,” he whispers.

Brian Kinney's world couldn't possibly be any better than at that moment.
The End.
Kinnetik Eagle is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked A BROKEN PROMISE also liked 58 other stories.