- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Kinnetik grows by acquiring Vanguard. Brian and Justin plan their future. A celebratory dinner.

3.

Two weeks flew by for Brian and Justin. Kinnetik was busy with clients. Vanguard was put up for sale and Kinnetik Corp. swallowed the last of the company. Justin printed a list of what his Art Department was to accomplish that week. His mornings were full of interviews to see who they wanted to keep.

Justin looked at the two men sitting in front of him. Unknown to him, Brian stood just outside the door. He managed to keep from laughing at what he knew was coming.

“Why do you feel the need to be in here at the same time? Hmmm, Bob and Brad Fenistramer. One of you needs to... never mind. Let me look again at your portfolio.” Keeping them waiting for a good twenty minutes while he glanced at their achievements, he finally looked up. Brian was still outside the door, now sitting on a chair. “I see nothing Kinnetik can use in here. You both use one brain it seems. I’m sorry, you will get a severance package of three months. Mr. Vance’s letter of recommendation will be forwarded to potential employers. Good day, gentlemen.”

Brian stepped inside. “Fred, if you would please accompany these gentlemen to empty their desks, then clear them from the systems and see them out.”

Shutting the door, Brian set a plastic container on Justin’s desk. “This is to be nuked for seven minutes. Now, what can we do to pass the time?”

Putting his arms around Brian, Justin kissed him. “I knew you were there. I heard you snort. Where did that man get some of these people from? Those two had to use one brain.”

I hated seeing them entering my office. So they did try to get hired at Kinnetik. I heard Cynthia say, ‘You two are leaving. No! Just no!’

“All she said to me when I looked at her and raised a brow was, ‘guess who’? I knew who she had been talking to.” Locking Justin’s door, he pulled him into the bathroom after they had eaten.

“Nothing like a little protein for dessert.” He then kissed Justin and paused before leaving.

“That’s Kip Thomas. He’s the one that I told you about who tried to get me in trouble.”

“Slip back in the bathroom. Let’s see what he tries, Bri.” Leaving the door ajar, Justin goes and lets him in.

“I’m Justin Taylor, Mr. Thomas. Let’s see your portfolio. Well, it’s not too bad. But I’m not sure we can use another adman.”

Moving closer to Justin, he touches his arm and smirks. “I’m sure I can do something to convince you.”

Moving around Kip, Justin goes to the door and asks Fred to come in. “Please take Mr. Thomas to get his things. Shut him out of the system, too. “

Turning to look at Kip again, he says, “We don’t need your type here. I looked up what happened between you and Mr. Kinney. A little more research showed you pulled the same stuff at four other companies. You will get a $2,000 severance package. We don’t play games at Kinnetik. Mr. Kinney and I are in a relationship, but we are professionals while we’re at work.”

“But you came out of...”

“MR. THOMAS! What we do on our lunch is our business. Certainly not yours. You may go now! Fred, if you please.”

Brian comes out grinning. “Seriously, Justin. Remind me never to cross you. How many more do you have today?” he asks, looking at the desk. Are you all done? Let’s take the paperwork for those we have hired back to Kinnetik. Then we can go home for the day.”

Brian grabs half the pile and Justin the other half and they leave the office.

Getting back to Kinnetik, they sit in the conference room with Ted and Cynthia and go over the new hires.

“You two should have heard him deal with Brad and Bob. Hilarious. But that was nothing compared to when he interviewed Kip.”

“Where were you... never mind, hiding in the bathroom? I would have loved to have been there.” Cynthia chuckles.

“After what he pulled on you, Brian, that might not have been your smartest move, but you... uhmmm..." Looking up he sees Brian and Justin’s eyes both narrowed at him.

“Sorry. No offense meant...”

“None taken. It wasn’t my best moment. I was only thinking with my dick.” Brian shakes his head. “I’m thinking more clearly now.”

“Brian, Love. There’s only one dick or ass you need to think about now.”

Laughing at the looks of astonishment on Ted and Cynthia’s faces, he quips. “You are all I need, Darling. Let’s call it a day. Night! See ya both tomorrow.”

Justin says his goodbyes and they leave, hand in hand.

Ted looks at Cynthia and shakes his head. “I never thought I’d see the day. He really likes him.”

“Ted, I’m willing to bet he’s told Justin he loves him. They talk more openly together. Haven’t you noticed that? Let’s go home.”

_______________

“It was a hell of a long day. I ache from sitting so much. How about takeout? Gino’s carries nice chef salads. Chanda loves them.”

“Sounds good. Let’s order them for six." Brian hangs their suits up in the closet.

"Hi, Papa, Daddy B! Gran Jen is heading home. She’s okay, but too much sun. I ordered the salads online from Gino's for us. Daddy B? One packet of dressing on the salad and two or three on the side to add if you want. I guess the time right?” She gives both men big hugs. Brian’s was the longest.

“Chanda?” Brian said. “You know I’m not going anywhere, don’t you? As long as your papa can put up with me, I’m staying right here.”

“Dang it, Brian! Then why are most of your clothes at the loft? I can buy another closet for your clothes. There’s room for one.”

Chanda scurries out saying, "Homework. You play nice."

Seeing the look on Brian’s face, Justin winds his arms around his waist and presses his face against Brian’s chest.

“Mr. Kinney? Would you do me the honor of living with me and my daughter? Though she obviously thinks of you as hers now.”

“I would be thrilled to move in, Justin. There is one thing I want. It’s only been a month, I know, but I love you so much. I’ve done my best to talk openly with you. Until the state says we can marry, I want to get a domestic partnership. What do you think? I’ll sell the loft, or maybe lease it to cover the property taxes."

“You come up with the best ideas. I’d love to do that. Do you think we could get some rings? Some with a small stone or two? Or would you rather have a necklace or bracelet? Either of the three is fine with me.”

“Hmmm. Something like these?” Reaching in his pocket, Brian takes a box out. Opening it, Justin sees two rings. "Our birthstones with a diamond in the middle. I want everyone to know I belong to you, Justin Taylor... Kinney.”

Tears of joy shone in Justin’s eyes. “Oh yes! These are perfect. Oh, Mom, I wish you were still here.”

“Would you like me to take Chanda for the night?” Walking over, she gives Brian a big hug which he returns, to her surprise. “I believe I’m gaining another son. I told Chanda to pack her things. I’ll bring her home after school. I expect a nice dinner catered here by Em and Vic. I’ll bring the champagne. Enjoy your night.” Chanda runs to hug both men. “I’m soooo happy. I’ll let you tell Gus, Daddy B. Invite him tomorrow with Mama Mel. K? See you tomorrow. Salads are in the fridge.”

“Now, Mr. Kinney. Where were we?” Justin said, wrapping his arms around Brian.

“I was just getting ready to show you how much I love you. Then you can return the love?” He takes Justin’s hand and leads him to the shower. And a very pleasant time they had.

_______________

After making a phone call to Mel to invite them for dinner, Brian gives Deb and Carl a call.

“Hey, Carl. Do you think you and Deb could come over for a bit tonight? It won’t take too long. Great! Here’s the address. Carl? Just you two, no Mikey, please. See you soon.”

Next, Brian calls Em and finding him free, he orders a nice dinner for nine adults and two kids, as he included Em and Vic as well.

The next night, Em and Vic show up at five to set up for the dinner.

Hearing the buzzer, Justin answers it. Shortly after, Carl and Deb come in, along with Mel, Gus, Jenn, Molly, and Chanda.

“Ma, Carl, and Vic. This is Justin Taylor, my fiancé.”

After she picks her mouth up off the floor, Deb says, “Now I know why no Mikey. When did you two meet?”

“Let’s sit down, Ma. You two want a beer?

“Do you remember Mikey fussing about the twink I spent the weekend with? Well, I was only caught at the loft cause I was getting more clothes to bring here. I fell for Justin, Ma. I know it’s only been a month, but I’ve talked openly with him. I opened up my heart to him. He wouldn’t have expected anything else. We fit, Ma. He’s working at Kinnetik as the Art Director. He invested just like Ted and Cynthia did. Mel has met him and adores him. Gus is friends with his, well now our, daughter, Chanda. Lindsey is never home anymore, but he knows of Lindsey. Same social set.”

“You two stand up,” Deb demands. Engulfing them in a hug, she tells them how happy she is for them. “When is the wedding?”

“First Deb, we’re getting a Licensed Domestic Partnership. Marriage will come when the state allows it to happen.”

“Then you could have a commitment ceremony, and Em and Vic can cater it. They have waiters that can take over so they can celebrate with us.”

Justin looks at Brian, then they both look at Carl.

“Nope, sons. You might as well start planning. She’s determined. Do you know how worried she was about you, Brian? She’s prayed a long time for you to find someone.”

“Before you ask, I know Justin called Michael out on not paying for his meals at the diner. I told Carl then, that he was perfect for you, Brian. He’ll hold his own against Michael and Lindsey, if she ever remembers she’s a mother.”

“I don’t know what we are going to do about the loft yet. Leasing or selling. We still have to discuss that.”

Turning her real estate mind on, Jenn asks, “May I say something?” At nods from them, she says, “Kinnetik is really growing. Wouldn’t keeping the loft for clients to stay at, be a wise idea? You don’t have to decide now. Maybe let Ted look into it?”

“Good idea, Mom Taylor. you agree, Hon?... Oh, shi..oot. We should have invited Ted and Blake."

“Why not have Em or Vic bring a few things to Kinnetik tomorrow for lunch?” Deb suggests. “I’m sure my son is gonna smell something going on now. At least Ted and Blake can entertain him tonight. That way Cynthia can enjoy it, too.”

At the end of the evening, they promised to be at Deb's for Sunday dinner.
Chapter End Notes:

Looks like it’s almost time for Michael to find out. Will Lindsey show up? Is she really only doing work for Bloom?