- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is the last chapter. It forwards to the future. 

                 


                                MY FATHER MY FRIEND


 


11


 


         Life was good in general for the gang. Kinnetik opened a branch in California ran by Murphy and Cynthia. Brandon had achieved a marketing degree and moved to Toronto to open a Kinnetik there. He met Brent when he hired him as art director and found himself falling for him. Brian hired some admen and artists for Kinnetik Pittsburgh, who were successfully running things under Ted’s guidance. That left Brian and Justin to take the kids along with a nanny and travel first to London and then Paris to open Kinnetik International.  They made trips back home frequently and Gus stayed summers with them traveling with an escort to his dad and papa. 


 


            Carl retired and he and Deb bought the diner as well as the building next door. They expanded Liberty Diner going 50’s/60’style which surprisingly was a huge success with the older crowd and next door became an enclosed patio for them to gather on weekends to dance. The main difference was healthier food in with the usual greasy fare. Vegan burgers and the option of sweet potato fries. Low carb. Low fat foods were popular and sold well. 


 


              Boytoy became the place to be for the younger crowd. Emmett and Drew bought Babylon and after lots of planning with an architect they created a successful Bistro in one area with a place for catered parties where the club used to be. Times were changing and the Thumpa thumpa was now only heard at the diner. 


 


             Vicki and Molly both had tremendously successful careers. They shared shows with each other, alternating who opens with the other joining on the weekend while grandpas Vic and Rodney watched Sandy. 


 


               Mike was left to dwell deeply in his comic world. It was a lonely existence for him and he regretted what he had done, but blamed it on Justin’s existence in Brian’s life. He went to Babylon and became the new bottom boy. Only being accepted for that. When Emmett and Drew bought  Babylon, he sold his shop and all but his Captain Astros comics. He left word he was going to travel and disappeared from Pittsburgh. 


 


              After ten years with all the Kinnetiks successfully being ran, Brian and Justin returned to Pittsburgh for good. Stepping into the diner they saw Carl behind the counter refilling condiments and drinks and Deb hurrying around helping with the noontime crowd. 


 


              “Deb? I thought you hired people to do that? You need to sit down.” 


     


              Deb looked up, practically threw the plates at her customers and ran to the two men. Grabbing them in crushing hugs typical of the red-wigged woman. 


 


             “Please tell me you are home to stay. I’ve missed you so much. Dinner Sunday with all of the gang plus Vicki and Molly. Be sure to ask your dad and Kent to come. We are making box lunches Saturday for a dance that night on the patio. Pre-registration required. I expect you here. Blake, Ted, Emmett and Drew will be here. Ben and Hunter with their better halves will be here for a visit as well. This is going to be so much fun! It’s about time you came home where you belong.”Giving them a red lipstick kiss on the cheek with a love pat as well she bustles off only to be stopped by Carl and ordered to stay seated.


 


                 Saturday night was a blast with a permit granted to allow the loud thumpa thumpa. Emmett was dancing his praise Jesus with Blake while Ted and Drew watched from the sidelines before reclaiming their partners. Brian and Justin were dancing close as they could get, heating up the watchers as only they could. Ben and Aaron and Hunter and Wade were taking a break to watch with Deb and Carl. 


 


                  Sunday saw the whole Liberty Avenue family together having dinner. Mike was mentioned in passing by Deb. He sends the rare postcard, but at least she knows he’s alive. Brian said they saw Lindsey and she was with her latest artist boytoy higher than a kite. Brian, Justin, Leda and Mel watch Gus sitting closely to his boyfriend, Chase.  Rebel, Leda’s daughter, is making eyes at Ted and Blake’s daughter Candy, short for Candace. They sigh as they talk and watch the next generation of Liberty Avenue. But none of them wanted to be anywhere else. 


 


                Life was good. The thumpa thumpa continues albeit on the diner patio. To paraphrase the words of Miss Gloria Gaynor. We will Survive. 


 


________________ 


 


        


 


 


                                


              


 


 


       

Chapter End Notes:

I have came to the end of my story. Dear readers Mike's fate is up to you. Sorry it took. So long. Thank you so much for reading this.

 

 

                                   >>Cat<<

To be continued.
Frosty70 is the author of 13 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked My Father, My Friend. also liked 442 other stories.