- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Alex Wilder investigates what went wrong with Michael’s counseling. This is how I picture what happened.
6. MANIPULATIONS.



_____________Six months later

Alex Wilder pulled into Britin’s driveway. He sat there knowing he had to go inside and tell what he found out. Thank God Brisbane, he refused to call him Doctor, was being arrested. Getting out of his car he went and knocked on the door.

The whole makeshift family was there, including Jennifer, Tucker, Daphne, and Carl. He decided to remain standing in the middle of the family room.

“I talked to the state medical board and convinced them that something was terribly wrong for Michael to go from being ready to get out ending with him trying to kill Brian. They subpoenaed Dr. Brisbane’s records on the prisoners, going back five years. I should add that Brisbane left his job at the prison after what happened to Michael. In the investigation, it came out that over Brisbane’s 20-year career at the prison, 20 others have become violent after being counseled by Brisbane. However, Michael is the first one who actually tried to commit murder. FBI agents arrested Brisbane attempting to leave the country. Some of the prisoners that were around Michael say he was popping all sorts of pills. All the pills he took can cause the taker to get very violent and mess their minds up. Plus they found that Michael was constantly taunted concerning the fact that Brian didn’t love him like he wanted him to. The doctor had sex parties in a large bathroom. Four guards were supposed to be watching what went on, but instead, they took turns working the different shifts so they could take part in what happened. All sorts of sick kinky shit was done. There was a large mirror covering one wall. It had a big square board that was used to cover it. The participants watched what was done to themselves. Michael, I believe, was very obsessed with Brian as we all know. It came out that one patient became involved deeply with Michael and tried to plan a life outside of prison with him. He was heard asking Michael why he didn’t just get rid of Brian if he didn’t want him. We aren’t sure, but we think Michael had bought several of the drugs he took after he got out. So basically he was mixing them which resulted in adverse results on his mind. Please, I really think it would be better not to mention exactly what went on. You must know and believe this, none of you are responsible for Michael’s actions. I would be glad to counsel any of you if needed.”

“Alex, any reason this shit wasn’t discovered? Were the guards who were involved, the only ones who knew?" Brian asked, shaking his head at the thought of what all may have happened.

“No one reported anything to the Warden or the head Psychologist. Michael actually said he felt safer living in the Mental ward. As I said he was teased and tormented living in general pop. However, it is suspected that he liked having access to the drugs and sex. There are people who have mirrored ceilings in their rooms or on a closet door or wall. I suspect this was bordering on an addiction. It’s called katoptronophilia. It was Carl and I pushing for answers that led to this being exposed. The guards and Dr. Brisbane are being charged for this. Any other questions? No? Then I must get going. I have a full schedule tomorrow.”

Justin saw Alex out the door and rejoined the family. They sat in stunned silence. No one knew quite what to say. Eventually, they left Britin, going home to think over what was said.

Brian, Deb, and Ben took Alex up on his offer to talk. All of them came to the conclusion that Michael was one of those people who easily hid their mental issues. But at the same time, ultimately he brought this on himself. While he was incarcerated, instead of working to straighten himself out, he was easily swayed in the actions he took part in.

“Carl? I used to blame Brian for some of Michael’s actions. But, he chose to take the E and poppers. He had a desire to be one of the popular guys. Brian, for the wrong reasons or not, was popular. Sunshine coming along and falling for Brian, helped him. Because of his abusive childhood, he had so many walls built up. But that little shit chipped away at them. Bit by bit, year, by year, he slowly pulled the walls down. He saw what all the rest of us refused to see. The boy, the man beneath those protective walls that simply wanted to love and be loved. I’m not blaming myself for Michael’s failings, but he learned to hide his fears and feelings. He hid them so well that we couldn’t see a sign of a cry for help. I can’t go back and change anything that happened. I’m going to put it away in the back of my mind and go on to be happy with you and all the little ones who call me grandma. I’m going to love all my lost boys for as long as I can.”

Carl gives Deb a big hug and pulls her on his lap. “It’s one of the unexplainable things in life, Red. We know now what to look for in those grandkids and we’ll help them when we see it. I love you, you big-hearted woman. I wouldn’t change a thing about you.”

Coming into Brian’s study, Justin put his arms around him and kissed his cheek. “You doing okay? How was your talk with Alex?”

"I’m doing a lot better. The thing is that I needed Michael and his love so much. I can’t let myself dwell too much on that. I’m going to confess something. I had some sessions with Alex while you were in New York and overseas. Two years' worth of them. Do you know how much your love, your calling me out on shit, the times you took care of me helped me? You never asked for a lot in return. That little stubborn persistent twink I picked up that night under that streetlight, saved this hardened heart. When you were bashed and you couldn’t read me anymore, I mourned that so much. I was so scared to open up with you. Fear of rejection. I started falling in love with you from the first night. You matched me so well, but you were so young. I can see now where you were then and where you are now. You are a perfect match for me. Youth and all. Your upbringing made you more mature than me. You wanted to experience what being a gay man was, but you also needed to have fun as you should at that age.”

“I noticed a big difference in you when we got back together. Brian, I had other friends more my age. But Daphne was my best friend. Because of my maturity, I have Emmett as a friend now too. When you work late and I wait for you? I often go to the ice cream parlor and meet Emmett there. He’s so young at heart, but he’s also a very wise man. His Aunt Lula taught him a lot before he left Hazlehurst. I don’t regret experiencing gay life with you. Not one minute of it. I love you so much, Bri. I plan on enjoying our years to come. I’ll always be there for you.”

””””””-Epilogue

Brian and Justin sat proudly and watched Gus’ graduation from college. Brian let his beard grow in the winter, but shaved it off in summer. He still loved designer wear, dressing in Brown Athletics shorts and tanks in summer, sweats in the winter at home. The two men had cut down on the hours they worked at Kinnetik. Justin’s hand still allowed him to do the graphics for Kinnetik, but he had more trouble now with it. Gus had worked at Kinnetik in the summers and holidays. He had plans to become CO-CEOS with his husband, Grant, who was working with Justin on the computer graphics. The youngest boys were now eleven and both were top soccer stars, with Brayden being quite the artist as well. Brendan has aspirations to become a professional soccer player. Jenny Rebecca had grown to be a lovely young woman following in her mother’s footsteps to become a lawyer. Hunter still runs Red Cape and had expanded it to include animated drawing classes and discussions about the comics. He had all the latest technology on hand. He had discovered he had a good imagination and he wrote a comic about a bunch of animal friends living in the Grand Canyon. He worked in educational lessons for the three-to six-year-old group. Hunter had married Callie and they had adopted two boys. The newer meds for HIV/aids had given Ben a new lease on life and he traveled to book signings all over the country and Europe with his new husband, Mitch. Deb and Carl retired, but sold the old house and now ran the Liberty Freedom shelter for kids kicked out of their homes. The shelter had schooling, plus classes on fixing cars, lawnmowers, cooking, and sewing classes. They had ample funding to keep things up to date and pay a minimal staff to help. Emmett and Drew settled in Pittsburgh and Drew taught football to kids from preschool and up. Emmett and Darren were very popular in the catering business. Ted still worked at Kinnetik and Blake was running a very profitable rehab center. All the gang took time to help at the shelter. Deb and Carl were loved by all the residents of the shelter. Lindsey had formed a relationship with a female prisoner and they were running their cellblock. The family still met on weekends to eat, though Britin was the place they now gathered.

THE END.
”””””””””-
Chapter End Notes:
This is the end of my story. I hope you enjoyed reading and I thank you for your reviews.
The End.
Frosty70 is the author of 13 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked Manipulations also liked 525 other stories.