- Text Size +

 

 

Brian had noticed the change in Justin since they had sex but chose to ignore it. He was due at Debbie’s soon and he would hear about it if he were late. Even at sixty-eight, Debbie was an overbearing mother hen. He loved her but seriously, he was fifty-one, he could take care of himself. He was a long way away from the club boy he had once been.

“What’s your family like?” Justin asked as they drove to Deb’s.

“It’s my made family not my biological family first off. There’s my best friend since I was fourteen, Michael and his mother. Michael’s husband Ben and their son Hunter. Then there is my son Gus and his mothers Lindsay and Mel. Lindsay’s been my other best friend since college. Then Gus’ wife Ariel and their daughter Maya. Then my friends Ted, Blake, Emmett and Drew.”

“Wow, you have a big family.”

Brian shrugged. “Never thought I’d have any family. I planned on living and dying alone.”

“What changed?”

“Life is a very long time to some, and it’s a very long time to be alone.”

“Really? I couldn’t imagine being tied down.”

“God, you think like I did but it’s no way to live. And no matter what you think, it’s no way to raise a little boy. Go out on adventures and take him. Let him see the world but everyone needs a home. I made that home with Debbie and Michael. You need a place to keep you grounded.”

“My sister is my home.”

“Hadn’t it been years since the last time you’ve seen her? Going years between visits isn’t healthy. Loneliness can be deadly.”

“I won’t be lonely, I’ll have Cal.”

“That’s too much responsibility on a little boy, don’t you think?” They came to a stop outside of Debbie’s and Brian decided to drop it. This wasn’t any of his business. “Ignore me, I get morose over the holidays.”

Brian saw that Justin was now pretty down. He hoped that his insane family would fix it. They got out of the car and headed to the house. He could hear loud Christmas music before they were even up the walk.

“I’m scared,” Justin said, smiling slightly.

“That’s normal. Prepare for battle,” Brian said as the door opened. It was Ariel who had his granddaughter Maya on her hip.

“Finally, Michael is losing his mind,” she said, leaning over and kissing his cheek and handed Maya over to him.

“He can wait. I’d like you to meet Justin. Justin this is my daughter-in-law Ariel and my granddaughter Maya.”

Ariel squealed and forcibly hugged Justin who returned the hug. “I’m so glad to meet you. Dad told us all about you. Just promise Maya can be the flower girl.”

“Ariel,” he warned.

She looked at him in fake confusion. “What? She can do it; I swear if you ask Victoria to be flower girl, I will throw a major fit.” Victoria, being Hunter’s adopted daughter, who was a few years older than Maya.

“There will be no flower girl, because there will be no wedding,” Brian said, Justin was already a major flight risk. Ariel’s joking was going to have him running.

“Oooh, city hall marriage, huh? I guess that’s alright, it’s what Gus and I did.”

Brian snorted, he looked at Justin. “She’s lying, I paid for their wedding, it put Princess Diana’s to shame.”

Justin laughed and all the earlier bad feeling from him seemed to dissipate.

“It had to be nice, I already had one strike against me,” Ariel defended herself.

“She was eight months pregnant. It was hilarious watching her waddle down the aisle.”

She huffed but Brian knew she wasn’t upset. He really liked Ariel, she was funny as hell and annoyed Gus’ mothers so that was a plus in his book.

“Get your ass in here,” Debbie yelled.

“Best to get this over with,” Brian said, leading Justin into the already crowded kitchen.

“Who’s your friend?” she asked as she sat down at her table, taking a break.

“This is Justin.”

Justin smiled that mega watt smile that Brian had seen and really liked from him.

“Holy shit, you are a ray of sunshine,” she said, lightly smacking Justin on the cheek.

 


Justin was laughing as they ate dinner and exchanged gifts. Brian’s son and his wife had gifted Brian with a horrid looking Christmas sweater. Everyone chanted until Brian put it on. Justin complimented him on his flashing lights on the sweater.

Every once in a while, Justin would look at one of Brian’s friends. Something about him was familiar. It was like a memory that he just couldn’t grab.

“Ben can you go get my photo album.”

“Sure thing, Deb.”

As the man stood up and turned, something clicked in Justin’s head. Oh fuck. This had to happened, didn’t it? When he had just been a stupid seventeen-year-old he visited Liberty Avenue. A creep came on to him and Justin decided to try another night. The next time he was out, he met a man that was sweet and tender. The man had talked about just finding out his boyfriend of years had been cheating on him. Justin’s first and only time ever bottoming besides with Brian just left to get the photo album.

Brian must have noticed his change in demeanor because he was looking at him oddly. Justin shook his head like it was no big deal. He just hoped Ben, didn’t remember. It would also help Ben’s husband didn’t find out either.

“We have news,” Gus said, cutting off Justin’s spiraling thoughts.

“What’s that, darling?” Lindsay asked as she cleaned her fork to the annoyance of Debbie.

“We’re having another baby,” Ariel said, squealing. She did that a lot.

“Another one? Maya isn’t even one yet,” Mel said, looking exasperated.

“Well, it was an accident but a pleasant one,” Gus said.

“You haven’t even finished school yet,” Lindsay said shaking her head.

“I will be by the time the baby is here. And dad already said that if I graduate at top of my class, he will give me a job.”

“What’s the good of having my own company if I can’t help my son out with a little nepotism.”

“Thanks, Dad. And before anyone says anything. The job he’s giving me is in my field, one I’m very qualified for.”

There was some more arguing but it finally calmed down. Debbie kept looking through her albums. Crying some when she got to her late husband, Carl.

Music started to fill the room. “Is that MMMBop?” Ted asked.

Justin laughed pulling out his phone. “It’s my sister,” he said, then accepted the call. “Hey, Mol, Cal ok?”

“Cal’s fine but I just got a call. It’s from a rescue in Tennessee. Harry’s been found. I first just got the automatic message from the chip company, but I called the rescue. They said he’s a little thin but in good health.”

Justin’s heart started to pound. “He’s alive?” He didn’t think Harry could live out there. He had waited and looked for him but had to leave.

“Yes.”

“Can you take care of Cal while I go get him. I want to be able to get to him quickly. With a little boy there are a lot of stops and I can’t take the RV.”

“Why can’t you?”

“It’s a big thing about mileage and the RV belonging to the magazine. I was only allowed to come here with it because it was on the way to my next destination.”

“Yeah, I can take care of him. We just got back from visiting Dad. I thought that Caleb would want to stay with him, but he made sure I knew that he had to leave with me. I don’t think Dad’s got much time left. I cleaned what I could and made a few simple meals all he has to do is warm them up.”

“I wish you wouldn’t have taken him there without talking to me first but it’s fine. Text me the name and address of the rescue. Thanks so much, I’m leaving now.” He disconnected and stood up.

“What’s going on Sunshine?” Debbie asked.

“My dog has been found in Tennessee. He’s been my companion for the last six years. I need to get him; he must be so scared.”

“Brian, go with him,” Debbie said.

“What?” Brian and Justin asked in unison.

“Well, he’s not going to be able to get a flight, it’s Christmas. He’ll have to drive. You’ll get there faster if you take turns driving. And also, I couldn’t help but hear he can’t drive his RV, getting a rental will be near impossible too this time of year. I bet the Jeep can do the trip easily.”

Justin looked at Brian who rolled his eyes. “So, Sunshine, what to go get your dog?”

Justin laughed. Earlier he had been trying to get away from Brian but now he was considering going to Tennessee with him. It was for Harry so of course he would do it.

“Sure. It’ll be fun.” He just hoped he wasn’t biting off more than he could chew.