- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Needy Michael and protective Deb.
4

_______________Weekend Gardening


Justin placed all the young tomato plants on the cart and wheeled them out to Brian. Brian had pulled what was going to be tossed on the mulch pile and prepped the rows for the tomatoes. Justin helped him plant them and found they had three rows in all. Next, they planted rows of corn, green beans, and crookneck, and zucchini squash. There were four rows of Idaho potatoes and two rows of sweet potatoes. Then they started the winter vegetables in the greenhouse. After finishing, they got drinks from the hose, which turned into a battle of who was spraying who. Mave sat and laughed at their antics.

They went in and ate the chef salads Mave had prepared for them. Then went for a much-enjoyed shower and nap.

After waking up, Brian asked Justin if he’d like to go to Babylon to dance for a while. He told him that he could get him in, but he’d have to drink water or sodas.

Brian and Justin walked into Babylon and looked for Ted and Emmett. Brian grabbed Justin’s hand and pulled him along as he was turning this way and that taking the sights in.

“Briiiiannnn! You finally came back! What the fucks is he doing here?” He scowled at Justin.

“He’s here because he’s my boyfriend. I’ve told you nothing is going to happen between us. We decided we wanted to come dance a bit and hang out with Ted and Emmett. If you can keep that whining mouth shut, then you can hang out with us too.”

“Hey, Bruce! We need a JB and whatever kind of sides you have,” Brian told the bartender.

“Hey, Brian. Listen, we have coke products, but also we have a nonalcoholic beer as well. You want that to drink?”

“I’m Justin. I don’t mind drinking a Coke. What’s the beer taste like?”

“It isn’t bad. A few people drink it. Wanta try one?” He popped the top and handed it to Justin. “ Won’t charge you if you don’t like it.”

“It’s not bad, but I’ll drink this one and get a Coke next time. Thanks, Bruce.”

Brian and Justin finished their beers and took to the dance floor. The two actually danced at home when the mood took them while listening to music. Feeling a bump, Brian looked to his side and saw Em and Ted dancing as well. The four formed a circle and enjoyed themselves, even doing the praise Jesus with Em. Going back to the bar to grab some waters they found Mikey standing there with a scowl firmly in place and arms folded across his chest.

Whining loud enough to hush those around them, he began to berate the guys for not asking him out with them. His woe is me puppy dog eyes were aimed at Brian, with an added glare at Justin.

Before either of the two could speak up, Ted piped up with a reply.

“You know Mikey, all you do is complain about everything. Glare at Justin all you want, but Brian wants him in his life. You don’t even try to dance with anyone when you’re here. Plus listening to you whine and throw tantrums like a three-year-old is not how we want to spend our evenings. Try growing up and maybe, MAYBE, we will invite you.”

Of course, Michael went crying to Deb and she went in to protect her cub mode. She berated Ted and Emmett, which she got told loud and clear from them why they didn’t include Michael. She marched herself to Ryder’s, managed to get by reception, but was shocked when Brian called security and had her escorted out. He informed her he was not getting into her complaints about her ‘poor widdle boy’ who didn’t want to grow up. That it was a place of business, not Dear Abby.

Next, she caught Justin coming in from classes and that flopped as well. He took her to the gate while telling her if she had made her son take responsibility for his life and saw to it he grew up, things would be easier for him. He could see the hurt in her eyes and he didn’t really mean to hurt her, but it has to stop. He stood there a second, then said “Let’s go talk on the patio.”

Getting some lemonade for them, he led her outside. She exclaimed over the vegetable garden and all the beautiful flowers.

“Aunt Mave does the flowers, but Brian does the vegetables. He freezes and cans what we don’t use during the growing season. He’s a wonderful cook. Aunt Lill wanted him to be self-sufficient and able to take care of himself. Now can I speak openly to you?” At her nod, he went on.

“Deb, is it true Michael’s father doesn’t know about him? You do know there are drag queens who have families? They don’t marry the mothers, but the children are loved. You did what you felt you needed to do and Danny wasn’t ready for the responsibility of a child then. But is it possible that with the time that’s passed he might accept Michael?”

“I... I really don’t know... it hurt me so when he left. I... was an experiment.” Tears ran down her face. "We are still close, but I’ve only seen him once since then. Maybe I could talk to Vic? He keeps saying I need to let him handle things for himself. But he doesn’t know how!”

“Then you show him. Tell him what to do, but make HIM do it. Don’t give in to him or he will expect you to do for him. Brian, Em, and Ted would be good friends if he’d try to grow up a little."

He opened his arms and Deb came into them crying on his shoulder. Then drying her eyes, she said, ”Thank you for talking to me. I’d better go and talk to Vic while Michael is at work.”

Mave stepped up and offered some bouquets and vegetables as they had a surplus of them. Deb gratefully accepted them from her thanking her profusely.

After Deb left, Mave hugged Justin and told him she was proud of him.

When Brian got home from work there were baked pork chops, fried potatoes, and a pea salad. For dessert, there was pineapple ices. They took coffee and sat on the patio to relax and talk about their day. Justin decided to tell Brian about his talk to Deb.

“Brian, Deb showed up here today just as I got home from my classes. At first, I was bringing her to the gate, but she looked so hurt. I took her to the patio and talked to her. I advised her to get a hold of Danny Devore. And see if he wants to see Michael. I just think she has her work cut out for her dealing with Michael. I hope you don’t mind I did that.”

“Justin, I don’t know if it will do any good, but I don’t mind at all. Thank you. I love you, Justin.” The two went inside, did what work they needed to do in their study, then took a shower together and went to bed.

Deb got home to find a homemade Italian beef and fingerling potato pot pie Vic had in the oven. She fixed a nice salad to go with it with the fresh tomatoes, green onions, and radishes adding black olives as well. They talked about Michael over their meal. They watched QVC, but Vic realized Deb was thinking over what she learned that day. Deb retired early, but she got out her address book and stared at the number wondering if he still had the same one. She steeled herself, calming her nerves, and dialed... “Danny, I need you to come to Pittsburgh. I need to talk to you about something. When you left I was pregnant. I don’t expect you to become father of the year, but he needs you. You can stay with us.”
Chapter End Notes:
How will Michael take to his dad?