- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A/N:  OK, what to say? I'd hoped this was going to be the First Test but this series/story continues at it's own pace. Therefore, I present:

THE CRUCIBLE

Chapter 7

Preparations

 

         The meadow really was beautiful in the moonlight.

         Closer now, the forest loomed, dark and dangerous.

         Funny, up to now, he'd never really taken the forest into consideration. It had always just...been there, you know. Like a huge decoration or a government building that's always there but ignored by the general public. Like city hall.

         Hunter took a step toward it and suddenly...he was just there. There was a path. He stepped in.

         It was dark. It was cold. And yet, somehow the path was lit up by a cold blue light at regular intervals. However, he could not see more than a few feet beyond the path anywhere.

         And then out of the darkness came scenes or just sentences, snippets of memory that he could not escape. Some were good. Some were bad.

         Horseback riding. Hunter watched it fondly and at the same time he could feel the horse undulating underneath him, as if he was really riding his steed. Oh, how he missed his horse! Did he miss him?

         "Come into the water! Come K! Play with me!"

         "Next time darling! Not today. We want to watch you! Next time...time....time....

         "Why wouldn't they come? Didn't they know he only asked to come so they could splash and play with him? Didn't they realize...

         "Take those off! I won't have you wearing servant shoes!"

         "You know, you don't really have to work there at all, you know!"

         "NO!" Hunter ran through the forest away from the hateful faces.

         "The babies are with a wet nurse. They're perfectly safe! Safe!...safe...They're waiting for you..."

         "No! Leave me alone!" Hunter was filled with regret and longing and he missed the babies so much it hurt.

         "We can always kick 6 or 8 people out of their homes, raze them to the ground...raze them....raze them..."

         "A week's just not good enough. I'd never be able to let you go!"

         The meadow. "I love you Daddy J+K. Take me home. Please. Take me home."

         God! Had he ever been that needy? That pathetic? Hunter ran on.

         "Get your bag. Come with us at once!"

         "This is common ground. Common...common...common."

         They're waiting for you.

         A week's not good enough...

         Hunter ran faster and faster and the images and memories kept coming, faster and faster, interlacing, weaving, overlapping, louder and louder.

         "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" Hunter screamed and he covered his ears and ran faster and faster and suddenly he ran into a clearing and as he did the voices and scenes were silenced as if a switch had been thrown.

         Hunter fell to his knees, weeping. He hated feeling like this. He hated it. He hated them.

         At long last he looked up and looked around and was charmed at what he saw. It was so beautiful.

         The clearing was perfectly round. It was carpeted with emerald green grass and in the center was a bed of red flowers. Roses and tulips and poppies and...he didn't know what. The smell was incredible.

         Next to the bed of red flowers was a strange wooden contraption with a large wheel. Entwined around and through the spokes of the wheel was a large black snake.

         Hunter was curious. He got up and padded over to the snake and the wheeled...thing. The grass was incredibly soft beneath his bare feet. He saw that he was dressed in the shimmering, silver boxer briefs and the black wifebeater again.

         The snake waited for him and rose up to greet him. "Hello, young Princccccce," the snake said in a hissing voice.

         "Hello. But I'm not a Prince," he objected. "Where is this?"

         "Ahhhhh...But you arrrreee! You have found great favor with the Kings of this land and even now they desire you as their son. They await you eagerly to return home,"

         "They await in vain," returned Hunter, "I find no favor with them. At least...I didn't. I'm confused."

         "Indeeeeed...." said the snake, "You have mannnny conflict-ing memories of them that torment you as you journey through your forest of life. But here in the clearing....there is quiet. There is allllllwayyys quiet....in the clearing."

         "What is this thing?" Hunter asked.

         "It issss a sssspinnnnning wheeeeellll," said the snake. "Havvvvvven't you evvvver sssseeeen a spinning wheeeeel before?"

         "No," answered Hunter.

         "It is used to ssssspin ffffibresssss, like shhhheep wool, into thread. The thread is made into clothhhhh and the clothhhhh into clothes like that shhhhhirt you are weeearrrring," said the snake. "Carrre to trrryy??"

         "Making clothes?? Isn't that woman's work?" Hunter said scornfully.

         "Well....they often say that woman can do anything men can...if that's true, why can't men do anything that women doooo," said the snake.

         "Hmmm. That seems logical. Do they really say that?" Hunter sat at the little seat.

         "Well....They willllll......" said the snake. He slid his way out of the wheel and around the back of Hunter's neck. "Now....jusssst take some woooooolll....feed it through therrrrrre.....and pump the pedal to spin the wheeeeeel."

         Hunter saw in surprise there was a quantity of white wool next to him where there wasn't any before. Nevertheless, he obeyed and fed the wool through and pumped the wheel. The wheel spun and the wool twisted and became thick thread. He fed it through again a spun it finer. He took more and added it to the thread he had.

         "Goooood, young Prince, good!" praised the snake, "Now, when you have enough, wind it around that there, the spindle to store the finished thread...."

         Hunter obeyed. He wrapped it around, spun the wheel, the spindle spun and twisted the thread around it.

         "Hey! I'm doing it! I'm doing it!" Hunter said triumphantly.

         "You certainly are, young Prinnnnccccee!" said the snake.

         "The spindle looks awfully sharp though," said Hunter worriedly.

         "Jussssst beeee careful," hissed the snake.

         But as Hunter was wrapping the thread around the spindle for the second time, his finger slipped and he pricked his finger on the sharp point of the spindle.

         "OW!!" he cried, jerking away and sucking his finger where he had pricked it. Suddenly, his eyes were incredibly heavy and his whole body was going heavy and loose and limp. He tried to get up but he stumbled and then fell onto the bed of flowers. Ohhhhh! It felt so good, so right, so soft.

         "What's happening to...happen...happening..." Hunter couldn't get up. He couldn't move; his body was completely limp.

         The snake rose like a nightmare, just like before. "Don't worry!! Soon you and I will be together...soonnn we'll beee ONE!" Hunter saw with horror that the snake had wrapped itself twice around his torso, further immobilizing him, if he hadn't already gone completely numb. "Sleeep my Princcccce. Sleeeep, my sweeeet Prince. Let me taste you. And then sleep and dream for one hundred yearsssssssss."

         The snake bared his fangs and struck at Hunter's throat.

BJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJH

         "NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

         Hunter gasped in a huge breath and jackknifed up in bed, clutching his throat. It was morning.

         "Hunter! Hunter, honey! Are you all right!" Debbie burst in, the picture of worry.

         "Yeah Deb! I think so! Just a whopper of a nightmare I guess!" That was putting it mildly. Again, he couldn't believe that his throat was intact.

         "A nightmare! What about? It sounded terrible!"

         "Just a strange, jumble of images....then there was a snake...he bit me...he wanted me to sleep for a hundred years. I don't understand it."

         "Oh my!"

         "It's OK, Deb. It's fading now! It's OK! Just give me a few minutes and I'll be ready for work. And maybe on the way there, I can ask you a favor."

         "Sure honey! No problem! Anything you want!"

         But as she left, Hunter mused that it might not be as easy as that.

BJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHB

         He was right.

         "WHAT THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THREE SMOKING! NO FUCKING WAY!" she screeched at an ear-splitting volume and pitch that he had not thought possible.

         "FUCK...DEBBIE! I'M RIGHT HERE!! I'M NOT DEAF!!" he yelled back.

         "You're right! Your right! Your ears are working fine! It's just the stuff between them that's not working!" she screeched angrily, albeit a little softer this time.

         "I'm not asking that we do this tomorrow!" Hunter said, "but you've been giving me more responsibility there anyway and letting me stay by myself for longer and longer times..."

         "Something maybe I should re-consider!" Debbie screeched, "Of all the cockamamie ideas! What the hell gave you..."

         "I don't know!" Hunter screeched back. (Sometimes you had to raise your voice just to talk with this woman) "I just wanted to wipe that smug attitude out of them! God, they're so spoiled and self satisfied and selfish and..."

         "Hey!! They're none of those things! And you know it! You spent nearly a month with them and were they ever like that? Did they ever treat you or anybody else unkindly!?"

         "They were slumming," Hunter said stubbornly, crossing his arms sulkily, "They were pretending."

         "Hunter, they weren't! That night...that was the pretending! You've got to get over this!"

         "I can't! I don't know what's REAL anymore! That's why I thought of this, I guess! It just popped out! To know what's real! To fix things! To...to..."

         "To punish them," Debbie said intensely and quietly.

         "Yes, DAMMIT! I can't get that word out of my head! It came so easy to him! And it hurt the most! They need to know! Really know what it means to be poor and working and working hard or else going without! Maybe then I can get that word out of my head!"

         "Well, I'll think about it! Oh, what if there's a fire!" she worried.

         "Then there's fire foam canisters and the fire brigade and...and...and, well, if things go really wrong, I'll make them build you a new place. A better place!"

         ‘I thought the point of this was to teach them about being poor...not throwing their money around!" said Debbie.

         "Well, it is! But I'm just thinking about emergencies! And if things go wrong and they can't work the week...then a good old fashioned dent in their pocketbook, ought to do just as well," said Hunter nastily.

         "Well....I'll think about it..."said Debbie, giving him a sideways look.

BJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJH

2:25 PM...Liberty Diner...

 

         Everybody watched as a classy, black sedan drove up and parked in the Liberty Diner.

         "Wonder who owns the fancy spread?" a customer said.

         "Hmm. Have no idea. Done with your coffee?" asked Hunter.

         "Sure."

         Hunter put the cup in the bussing tray and continued down the long aisle, taking other dishes and otherwise cleaning up. He kept an eye on the black car like everybody else but otherwise didn't care about it.

         Until J and K (no, it was Justin and Brian, dammit) got out of the car. They wore nice slacks and shoes and white shirts that buttoned up and blazer coats that matched their slacks. Justin's was dark blue and Brian had on brown. They had no ties and their shirts were open at the throat. Their hair was neat but casual and windblown. The effect was that they were neat and clean and conservative, businesslike yet casual.

         Hunter's eyes fixated on the black of the car and it seemed to fill his vision. It pulled and stretched itself into a longer black limo. A black dread filled his soul. "COME!..COME!" a voice echoed, "Come AWAY....my son will not wear servant's shoes!!"

         Outside, Brian and Justin were laughing and talking. Brian pulled Justin in for a quick, hot kiss.                 

         "This is how we really are!...really are...really are... Soon you'll be JUST LIKE US!!!"

         Hunter began to hyperventilate.

         Justin looked over at the Diner and Hunter swore he looked right into his eyes. His eyes flashed blue fire but the fire was cold, so cold. He was looking just like he looked last Friday, hard and superior, and the fire burned Hunter from the inside out, freezing him numb all the way through.

         "NO! NO! NOT AGAIN! I`LL NEVER BE LIKE THEM! NEVER!" Hunter yelled. His eyes stared but they saw nothing but the blackness. He gagged and heaved and ran. Somehow the bussing tray landed on an empty table.

         Justin and Brian were walking up to the door, arms around each other, eyes shining with happiness and love.

         Still heaving, Hunter ran into the bathroom and reached the toilet just in time. He retched and puked noisily until his stomach was empty and a few times beyond that. At last, he collapsed, and hunched into a protective ball. Shakily he reached up and flushed.

         Justin and Brian entered the diner and looked around. They chose a booth and sat.

         "Hey everybody, is Hunter around?" Brian asked.

         "Yeah, he saw your car, freaked out and ran into the washroom!" someone tattled, "I think he puked."

         "Oh, shit!" said Justin, "I forgot! It's a black car!"

         Brian sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Geez! He's got to start getting over this! I'll get him."

         Justin grabbed his arm. "Don't force yourself on him. Be gentle with him, my love. For me."

         "For you," Brian replied and followed it up with a deep, hot kiss for courage that left Justin hot under the collar.

         Brian went to the washroom and knocked gently. "Hunter! It's Brian! It's Dad! I'm coming in. OK, son?"

         There was no response.

         Brian pushed the door in gently and went inside. He found Hunter in a stall, in a corner hunched in a ball, arms over his head.

         "Hello Hunter," said Brian.

         "I won't come. I won't be like you. I won't...I won't..." he began to rock. He began to weep.

         "Come on, Hunter...Come on...Nobody's going anywhere right now. Come with me and I'll clean you up." Brian pried Hunter's arms from off his head. Hunter resisted and struggled but Brian would not back down. Slowly but surely, he pulled Hunter's arms away from his face and then pulled him to his feet. As he thought, he had vomit stains around his mouth and was otherwise tearstained and a mess. His eyes were completely contracted, his eyes huge orbs of green, with two pricks of black. Hunter wasn't seeing anything like this. Brian put a gentle arm around his waist and guided him to the sink. He took some paper towels, wet them, and used them to clean the vomit from around his mouth and guided him to the water.

         "Drink and swish," he said, "Rinse the taste out, my son, Rinse it out...that's it."

         Hunter obeyed mechanically. Brian kept up the comforting patter until he had swished and spit and drunk to his heart's content. Then he stood staring in the mirror like a zombie for a few long seconds. Then, without warning, he bolted.

         Brian grabbed him easily and slowly drew him in. Hunter fought and struggled like a crazy person but Brian wouldn't let go.

         "No! No! I won't go! You can't make me! You can't make me! I'll never be like you! NEVER! K!! Help me! Help me! K! I want K!! Where are you!? Why did you leave me? Why K?! Why? I won't leave with you, you monster! K! K! Help me!!"

         Brian drew him in, pressed him against him, rubbing those circles around his back. He was not ignorant of the shudders of pleasure that he had felt Hunter give when he had done it before and he knew he was causing his son pleasure and comfort, more so than it was causing him to give them. This time was no exception.

          At the same time he whispered in his ear: "Shhhh Hunter! It's me, K! K is here, my treasure. I never left you. I never left. I never will.  The monster is gone. I am K. I am K You will never be like him. You will be better, wiser, kinder, than even me. I am K. Shhhhhh. Now! Everything's fine."

         And as he soothed him Hunter's struggles became less and less. Slowly, he arms went around Brian's waist and for the first time, he hugged him back. Slowly his ragged breathing returned to normal. His eyes started to dilate again.

         "K? Is that really you? I - I couldn't find you! I love you Daddy K! I..."

         Suddenly he twisted away. He pulled back and hunched against the wall like a frightened animal. His eyes were normal again but his voice was twisted with disappointment and hate.

         "No! You're not K! You're Brian! K was the lie! K was a lie!" He began to weep again.

         "No Hunter! K was not a lie! Sure it was an alias to protect my identity while it needed to be but everything I did, everything I felt as K, and Justin as J was the truth! K and Brian are one! I love you!"

         "Hunters sobs diminished a bit. "Why have you come to take me in the black car again then? Why are you wearing those clothes?"
         "Hunter, I don't wear my leathers all the time! Just when I bike and am having fun. Sometimes we'll dress in slacks or suits or shorts or...whatever. And we have many cars, depending on the situation or how we feel." He enfolded Hunter again. "We came in a sedan today with a driver. But we have a whole garage full of cars. Black, white, yellow, red, blue....A Ferrari, Studebaker...a few limos..." He felt Hunter tense but he just held tighter. "Shhhhh...not today though...a few sedans, like the one outside a few Camaros, and even a few Corvettes."

         "Because you're rich!" Hunter accused.

         "Because we're rich!" agreed Brian, "As you said, we've never hid that fact. And someday, when you embrace your destiny, our riches will be yours. And when you are ready, I shall take you down to that garage and let you pick out a car and it shall be yours, and only yours, forevermore."

         "My....my own car?" Hunter gasped.

         "That's right!"

         "That's - that's so generous! I couldn't! I - No!" he twisted away. "Don't try to seduce me! "I'm not your son! Why are you here!?"

         Brian sighed. One step forward, two steps back.

         "Hunter, remember! It's between 2 and 3 o'clock! I promised I'd come! We're going to talk to the Twins! Remember!?"

         "I - yeah...yeah I remember now! I - oh, what happened to me Brian? What's wrong with me?"

         "Nothing's wrong, my treasure! You saw the car we came in, flashed back and had a panic attack. But Hunter, it's not the same car, and it's OK to come for a ride in it! Come on out and sit with us before we go, OK?"

         Gently, Brian coaxed Hunter out of the bathroom. They walked back to the table arms around each other's waists. On their way down the aisle, Hunter experimentally rubbed Brian's waist up and down once. Brian smiled to himself and returned the gesture. Hunter smiled. K's touches felt so good.

BJHBJBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJH

            Back at the table, Hunter cupped his hands around the sides of his head like blinders, partially in embarrassment for his freak-out and partially so he wouldn't see the black as death car out in the parking lot. Waiting for him.

         "Hunter, please stop that," said Brian, "Nobody thinks anything of you for panicking and besides most of the customers who saw are gone now."

         "Yeah...most of them," returned Hunter with that annoying angsty teen logic.

         "Never mind, Brian," said Justin, "That's not really what's important anyway. What are we doing today? What's the game plan?"

         "Well, we were going to talk to the Twins to see if they'll be regent while we're gone. Why don't we do that first?"

         Justin hung his head. "Ohh dear! Brian, I'd better not go! They're still upset with me! If I show up, it's liable to - well, to queer the deal."

         Hunter rolled his blindered eyes at Justin's queer choice of words. "No problem. Brian and I can go and ask the Twins. I'll tell them the same thing I told you guys last night. Maybe that'll ease them up on you a little bit. In the meantime, you can stay here and talk to Debbie about agreeing. I broached the subject to her this morning and she was...less than receptive. She's worried about disasters and, I dunno, considers it like a kid game we came up with to amuse ourselves with."

         This seemed wise in the Queer Kings eyes and they immediately put their plan into action.

         Brian and Hunter left the Diner and headed to the car. Hunter kept his eyes diverted and his breathing quickened.

         "Hunter, there's nothing to worry about. It's not that car.  And even that car is powerless over you now because we're never going to take you anywhere like that again. We will never be those people again."

         But the closer he got to the car the more Hunter began to hyperventilate again. He could see that it was a different car but the feeling of blackness and death filled him as sure as if the Reaper was inside the car waiting for him.

         Finally, Brian stood between him and the car. He hugged him to him and Hunter hid his face. Slowly, his breathing slowed.

         "Would you rather just walk?" Brian asked, "It's not really that far."

         But as well as fear, Hunter was filled with a self-loathing that he could not stand. He knew if he didn't do this now, he'd never be able to face another black car again.

         "No! I have to do this! God, it's horrible! It's like Death is waiting for me in the back. But if I can just make it in there and prove that nothing's there, I know I can break this thing! Just...just don't let me go!"

         "Never! Never again!" declared Brian.

         And so, holding on to Brian's arm, tighter and tighter, Hunter moved, step by step, closer to the sedan. It seemed to fill his vision and the certainty of Death, of the Reaper became stronger and stronger. They were 3 quarters there. They were almost there. Hunter was breathing very quick but he kept going.

         He was there. Death was on the other side of the door. Brian reached for the handle. Hunter wanted to scream. But he'd come too far now so he just shut his eyes and waited for the end to come.

         And then Brian was opening the door and his hand was warm on his back and gently pushing him, guiding him into the car. Nothing grabbed or bit him. Hunter stepped forward and felt softness. He reached forward and pulled himself into the car. He opened his eyes.

         There was nothing there. The car was empty and the back wasn't a limo back, it was just...a back seat. Roomy and soft, but just a back seat. It was dark blue interior, plush and soft. There was a tinted window between them and the driver. And that was all.

         Hunter clambered his way inside and moved over so that Brian could get in. And then Brian's longer legs were coming in, coming and Brian was filling the other half of the car and closing the door. Sometimes Hunter forgot how much bigger Brian was. Or maybe it was that he just felt so much smaller.

         "Well?" Brian asked.

         "There's nothing here. Well, nothing but car anyway. I'm OK. I think I'm going to be OK!"

         "Where to, sir?" it was the white moustachioed driver again.

         "Quite close. Just to the Box Factory and then we'll have you wait a little while, while we're inside."

         "Very good Sir!" The window started to go up.

         "Wait!" Hunter leaned forward and whispered, "You - you didn't tell them...what I said yet...did you?"

         "No sir! Not yet! Shall I tell him now?" asked the driver.

         "No! What I mean is...well, you can probably just forget about it. Just forget I said anything."

         "Probably?"

         "Definitely! You can definitely cancel it!"

         "Very good sir! Now just sit back and leave everything to me."

         Hunter sat back in relief. The window closed.

         "What was that all about?"

         "Nothing! Just...nothing." At Brian's probing stare, Hunter admitted, "When he dropped me off in the Rolls that first time...he asked if he could give you guys a message. The things I came up with...were pretty bad. And I don't mean them anymore anyway."

         "I see. Very well, my son." The car began to pull out. They buckled up.

         "When are you going to stop calling me that! I'm NOT...your son."

         Brian put his big arm around Hunter's shoulder and pulled him against him and this time Hunter did not resist. "I told you. Never. I will call you that till you accept the inevitable truth and then I will never stop calling you that for your lifetime."

         "I will never accept it."

         "Then I will never stop calling you that and spend my life trying to convince you."

         Hunter huffed in frustration as Brian's amused low chuckle reverberated through him.

         "I have to know. Did you really want me the first minute you saw me?"

         "No."

         "Oh. Ok then." Hunter admired the way his voice came out so steady even though his insides dropped out and away into oblivion.

         "I wanted you the very first second."

         And just like that, he was transported to utter joy. "Really?"

         Brian's other arm came around him. "Really. And I'm so glad I got you. My wise boy. My courageous boy. My beautiful boy."

         And Hunter figured since he'd already dampened down Brian's shirt pretty good, a few more tears wouldn't make much difference.

BJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJH

         "Hello, may I help you?"

         "Hello, my name is Hunter Montgomery and this is Brian Kinney and we'd like to Misters Remington please."

         "Are they expecting you?" she said in that nasally, prissy voice that receptionists use to deter guests.

         "Uhh..well, no! But they asked me to come! You see, I work at the diner...I asked for a job....They told me to come...I just thought..." he stammered out under the forbidding woman's withering glare.

         "Oh yes! They told me to expect you! Here!" She thrust a piece of paper at him. Fill this out...both sides...and bring it back. Otherwise...I'm very busy!" She bent back to her work.

         "Uhh no. I mean, yes, I was expecting this! But I was hoping to come for this maybe next week. I need to see Fred and...uh that is...Mr. Fred and Red..." he acknowledged under her outraged stare, "On another matter."

         "What other matter?" she asked.

         "Just...another matter. Look, I know they'll be interested. They're good friends of mine...of ours. Just tell them that Hunter and Brian are here. Please. Just tell them. If they're really busy, all I need is five minutes."

         "Who is this, Brian??" she asked shrilly, "There's no one here but you!"

         "What?" Hunter turned and saw that indeed, Brian had entered with him and promptly disappeared. OH Geez! They were at it again! Well, game on, mister!
         "Look, I dunno, he came in with me. Maybe he went off to take a leak! But I am here with Brian Kinney. You know, King Brian!" he said hoping to wipe that sceptical, you're just a stupid lying kid,look off her face. He didn't.

         "OK, look. Just suppose it is just me. Just buzz them. They'll give me five minutes. They will."

         "Fine. We'll just see about that!" she said stuffily. She buzzed them.

         "Yes Maureen, what is it?" came Fred's voice.

         "There's a Hunter Montgomery here to see you sir," she said.

         "Ahh yes! Just give him the form, Maureen," Fred said and clicked off.

         She raised her eyebrows at him.

         Hunter motioned with his hand. Keep going.

         She buzzed again. "Uh, no sir. He says it's regarding....another matter."

         "Another matter!?" exclaimed Fred.

         "Another matter!" ejaculated an identical voice.

         "Another matter!!!?" they yelled in unison.

         "Well that's a different matter altogether!"

         "Yes that matter's different altogether!"

         "You numbsk...That's not what I said at all! Ohhhh!" Fred huffed in frustration, "You'd best send him in!"

         "Yes sir!" She clicked off. "Well, it's just there! Go on in!" she motioned to a heavy door a little ways behind her with the Twins' names in large gold letters on it.

         "Uh OK. So, do they do that a lot?"

         "Kid, a lot doesn't cover it! But as long as my cheques don't bounce, I couldn't care less!"

         "Oh. Well, thanks a lot!" Hunter started toward the door.

         At that moment, Brian came bursting into the outer office. "Hunter! Everything taken care of!?" he boomed.

         Hunter whirled. "There you are! Where were you!? Yes, everything's fine...now!"

         "King Brian! Oh my goodness! It really is you! Oh my goodness!" the receptionist was the picture of flustered twitterpation.

         "Yes it's me! Did my son get everything he needed?" Brian came over and draped an arm over Hunter's shoulder as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

         "Where were you? I really could have used your support!" Hunter groused, picking his hand off of him again.

         "Oh my! Yes Sire! He did, I got right on it! My goodness! I must say, I didn't know you'd taken on a son!" Maureen twittered.

         "I am Not..."

         "Oh, yes!" Brian enthused, "I knew the moment I saw him, he was the one!" His arm re-draped itself and this time refused to be picked off. Hunter squirmed ineffectually. Brian laughed. "He's a bit shy when it comes to affection."

         "Well, he's very assertive when it comes to getting what he wants, I must say," said Maureen.

         "He sure is. And I'm going to make sure he gets everything he wants and needs. I'd expect everyone to help him. If he didn't, I'd probably get...upset. You'd make sure I wasn't...upset, wouldn't you, Maureen?" he asked, reading her nametag.

         "Oh yes, your Majesty! Absolutely, your Majesty!" said Maureen nervously. She felt like she'd dodged some kind of bullet.

         "Excellent! Thank you, Maureen. Keep up the good work!" Brian said smoothly and swept Hunter away.

         Furiously, Hunter guided them over to a place where they could talk in private. As soon as they were out of earshot, Hunter writhed and twisted out of Brian's grasp.

         "What the Hell was that? Where were you? Were you testing me again? I thought there were going to be no more tests or games! And I am NOT...your son!"

         "So you keep saying. And no, I wasn't testing you...exactly. It was more of a test...for her. But also I was...watching...what I knew you could already do."

         "Well, next time watch where I can see you!" griped Hunter, "Seriously, I'm sick of this shit!"

         Brian laughed and draped his arm around his shoulder again, "Oh, my assertive son!" he declared, "My beautiful, assertive son!"

         Together they went into the Remington Twins' office.

BJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJH

         "You want to WHAT!?" two voices screamed in identical hilarity.

         "Justin and I are going to work the week at - Come on boys! We just went over it! Don't make me say it all again!"

         "The Kings of the Land...are going to serve us our lunch!"

         "Clean dirty dishes..."

         "Mop the floor..."

         "Clean the toilets..."

         The two men collapsed against each other and laughed until they cried.

         "OK, OK, that enough of that!! It's not that funny! We can do it! We're not that soft!"

         "Oh please! The only thing I've seen you push is a pencil. How are you going to manage a mop?" Fred asked, wiping the tears from his streaming eyes.

         "Yes, and Justin, just a paintbrush!" said Red, "How does he feel about this? Humpph!"

         "Oh yes! Him! Maybe we should reconsider! Humphh!" said Fred.

         Hunter approached them warily, "Fred? Red? I need to tell you something," he said. He stroked both their arms soothingly. "You see when I first got back to the restaurant...a little while before I asked you...before Justin even came in..." He then proceeded to tell them about reconsidering food service as he was punching in. "So you see, I'd already decided to look for a new job anyway. So you can ease up on him a bit."

         "Hmmmph!! He STILL shouldn't have done that to you!" Fred said. He scooped Hunter up into what he thought was a cradling hug.

         "No, he shouldn't have," said Red, hugging him from the other side. Unfortunately, this meant that Hunter was well meaningly being squished flat.

         "OK! OK! So everybody's happy!" Brian swooped in to rescue his son. "So will you do it?"

         "Well....OK! We'll be regents again! And we won't hold anything against Justin when he serves us our lunch!"

         "Our BIG lunch !" interjected Red.

         "But we still will not accept back our bracelets back unless they are presented by the Crown Prince of Liberty Kingdom!" asserted Fred.

         "That's right!" said Red.

         "I think we can all live with that," said Brian

         "Are you guys sure you want to wait that long?" Hunter asked. "Gus is only a year old. You'll have to wait 15, maybe 16 years to get them back!"

         "We don't mean Gus!" they cried. We mean you, of course!"

         "But I'm not the Prince! I'm not, I'm not, I'm not! I am NOT their son!"

         They both smiled at him as if he were the cutest 5 year old in the world.

         "Riiiiiggght!!!" they both they both said to each other, stretching it out exaggeratingly. They both winked at each other.

         RRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Hunter ground his teeth in frustration

BJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBBJHBJH

Meanwhile, at the Liberty Diner....

 

         Justin watched Hunter approach the sedan with trepidation and then a stiff back of courage. Then Brian followed and although he didn't know it, he echoed Brian's sentiments at almost the same time. "Good for you, my courageous son," he whispered.

         Then he moved over to the counter and waited till it wasn't packed busy and the people who were there were enjoying their food, he motioned to Debbie to talk to her about their proposal.

         As Hunter had predicted, Debbie still wasn't happy about the situation. She called it a "stunt" and screeched that her establishment was not going to get burned down for one of their "revenge games".

         Eventually though, Justin managed to drive home that it was more serious that a simple bet or game. He asked her if she remembered the strange trance he had been in on Sunday night. She answered emphatically yes. She'd never forget that chilling voice: Hunter isn't her right now...for the rest of her life.

         "Well," Justin continued, "Shortly before he returned to normal, he re-entered that trance as a kind of rest state from all the memory flashes he'd been having. In that state, I was able to use my sunshine to talk to his mind. I encountered an entity, a kind of a multiple personality that he called Guardian. Guardian challenged us to 3 tests in return for what we'd done. We accepted. This task is one of those tests. We must accept. Hunter thinks it is just a challenge, a kind of bet but it is much more serious. If we fail in these tests, Guardian will take Hunter back into that twilight death and make him sleep for a hundred years."

         "A hundred years! That's terrible! Wait! That's weird."

         "What is?"

         "This morning, Hunter came out a big nightmare. A real whopper. He said it was no big deal but get this: He said it was about a snake who bit him....and wanted him to sleep for a hundred years."

         "You see? He must be sensing Guardian on some level. We must pass this challenge. Please help us. You can come check up on him any time. We're not shutting you out of the Diner. It's just that we must be allowed to be in and work. Please. Plus we thought you'd enjoy the extra time with the babies."

         "That would be nice!" she agreed, "But so help me, Justin Taylor-Kinney if anything goes wrong!" She held up a fist and grabbed the front of his shirt. "Bam! Right in the kisser! And I don't care WHO you are! Got it!?"

         "Got it!" gulped Justin.

BJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJH

         And so it was that a little while after that, Brian and Hunter returned to the Diner in the black sedan and found everything in readiness on both sides. They offered to take Hunter away for the rest of the day but Debbie overrode them and nipped that in the bud.

         "OHHHH....NO you don't! You want the training to oversee this place for the week, well...training begins NOW! And Rule #1 is there are no breaks! No excursions! If you're in charge, you need to be in charge and overseeing this place every single second you are on shift! This place is now your baby and it's constantly crying! Understand me!?"

         "Yes, Debbie," they all said meekly.

         "Good! Hunter, come on into the back and I'll start showing you stuff. You two...can do whatever you like! I'll see you on Monday, bright and early!"

         "I'll make sure of it!" Hunter said nastily. He and Debbie went into the back.

         "How are the Twins?" asked Justin.

         "They're still pretty pissed. But they promised to not hold anything against you while you're working here. They still won't take back the bracelets unless Hunter gives them to them as Crown Prince."

         Justin nodded sadly. "I figured that.  Oh God, what a mess I made! I'm so sorry Brian!"

         "I know, love. I was pretty mad but I'm over it. One day, they will be too. Just give them a lot of space until then."

         They rested in each other's arms for a long time.

         "So how did things go here?" asked Brian.

         "Pretty good. I managed to impress upon her how important this was to us. I had to tell her about Guardian and him threatening Hunter for a hundred years. Oh and that reminds me..." Justin told him about Hunter's dream.

         "WHAT!!!! Why didn't he tell us about that?"

         "Brian! Calm down! He doesn't even...."

         "HUNTER!!! GET OUT HERE....NOW!!!!!"

         Hunter appeared from out of the back and into the behind the counter area. "Yes? You bellowed irrationally, Your Majesty?" he quipped.

         "Never mind that Majesty stuff! Now, why didn't you tell us?"

         "Tell you about what?" Hunter sounded bored.

         "About your dream! About the snake who wanted to take you away for 100 years!" Brian snarled.

         "Uhhh, maybe because it wasn't any of your business!" Hunter snarled right back. He turned to Justin. "Can you tell me what Her Majesty is queening out about now?"

         "I AM NOT QUEENING OUT!!" yelled Brian, totally queening out.

         "Oh no!? Then why did you just scare all our other customers away!? Our paying customers!"

         Indeed, the diner had suddenly zip!  become empty and there was the sound of a tinkling of a coffee cup vibrating around in its saucer. Then that sound died away and there was silence.

         Hunter crossed his arms and pressed his lips together. "Well?"

         "Brian, calm down! Remember, he doesn't know anything about that yet!"

         "I thought you told him about Guardian!"

         "I did! But I didn't get that far!"

         "Oh." Brian's queen out lowered by several stages. "Besides," Justin continued furiously, "Remember, he doesn't know about...them...either! Calm down!"

         And to Hunter's astonishment, Brian did. His breathing slowed and the red in his face went down by half. "I'm sorry, Hunter," he apologized, "I was just upset when I heard you were having nightmares."

         But now it was Hunter's turn to be upset. "You know, I'm getting pretty sick of you making up new rules as we go along! I told Debbie about that dream...in confidence, I might add, and only because she was there when it woke me up! I'm not accustomed or obligated to telling anybody my dreams, including you! And besides, I only had it once! Well, twice but the first time hardly counts it was so quick....and I did tell you about that one! Anyway, how am I supposed to know which dreams are special and which aren't!? Am I to tell you every time I dream now!? What's next!? Shall I tell you every time I sneeze or fart too!? Do me a favor and get outta here! And quit scarin' away the customers! That's the whole point of next week's exercise right?"

         "Yes, Hunter....Sorry, Hunter," they said submissively. "I'm really sorry, son," Brian added sincerely.

         "I AM NOT YOUR SON!!" bellowed Hunter. "Now get outta here!!"

         Sadly, they turned to go. Hunter let them get to the door before he said, "Hey! Dishrags! You can pick me up after work on Sunday. We can go to an inexpensive dinner and then head to our new accommodations, which you will have set up! Choose a car that won't attract attention and be stripped or stolen within the first five minutes! Do you think you can handle all that!?"
         Brian turned and gave his own version of a million watt smile that did something to Hunter's heart he didn't like. "Yeah so....Hunter, I got it."

         "Good." Hunter turned on his heel and strode back into the back, without looking back.

BJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJHBJH

Sunday Night...Closing time at Liberty Diner....

 

         Hunter was bussing his last tray when he saw a black jeep drive up and park in the parking lot. Brian and Justin hopped out and headed in. Somewhere deep inside he was inordinately pleased that they were punctual and he had to force away a smile of pleasure of seeing them again.

         The bell above the door rang and he turned away from the door quickly because now he could not chase away a smile of happiness no matter how much he tried.

         "Hem!! I have to clean this last set of dishes before I punch out. Make yourselves useful and turn the sign to closed, willya? Thanks!" He made his voice gruff. He bumped his way through the swinging doors before they could say anything.

         He washed the last few dishes quickly, with an annoyingly light heart and then punched out. He bumped out into the Diner area.

         It was déjà vu all over again. Well, almost. Thankfully, Brian and Justin were wearing casual street clothes that wouldn't attract too much attention if they were in a more modest neighborhood. They sat together, facing away from Hunter as he came out of the back in the booth nearest the door.

         "Hi Hunter, would you like to sit with us?" Brian asked.

         "Actually, can we just go? Deb left me in charge since noon so I've been run off my feet all day. I let everyone else go an hour ago so it's just been me here. I'm sick of these four walls."

         "This seemed agreeable to everyone so Hunter switched off the lights and they all left. Hunter locked up and they headed for the Jeep.

         "Wow, Hunter, I'm really proud of everything you've learned in the last week! You really deserve to be in charge now!" praised Justin.

         "Thanks Justin. The training was pretty gruelling. However, being left to do the decisions more and more really helped. That let Debbie's take more and more time off."

         "We know! We know! She's been spending it at the castle with the babies and bossing us around instead!"

         "How are they?" Hunter asked, in a deceptively calm voice.

         "They're fine. They sleep a lot and when they don't they're crying and hungry. Gus started to walk the other day. You know you can come see them whenever you want, right?"

         "No.... I can't," Hunter said sadly. "Not after I've held them and knew they were mine to hold and feed and look after like my brother and sister. To hold them...and then give them back like they were some stranger's kids...would just be unbearable."

         Both men were appalled.

         Brian grabbed Hunter in a firm embrace as they reached the car. "Hunter! Things are NOT like that! They are NOT stranger's kids! They are ours! And they are yours! They ARE your brother and sister as assuredly as YOU are our son!"

         "I'm NOT ..." Hunter began.

         "...my son! I know! I know! So you keep saying!" Brian finished. "But that doesn't mean I'm going to accept that as the truth. And neither should you lie to yourself nor tell yourself that they are not your siblings! Don't punish them...or yourself...for what we did. They're just infants!"

         "I'm not punishing them! And I know they're infants! I remember that every day!" choked out Hunter.

         "Aren't you though? By depriving yourself of them, by not being there when they could be having a hug from they're big brother! By not establishing a relationship with them as the innocents they are! And they are innocent, Hunter! They don't know anything about our problems, only that that nice teenager who used to read them stories suddenly disappeared!"

         "I doubt they remember me," Hunter said sadly.

         "Gus does. There s a picture of you he points at every so often. We always tell him... soon. JR's younger so perhaps you're right there. But isn't that another reason to go see them and make sure that doesn't happen? Imagine this, if they are old enough to know better and you suddenly come to live at the palace as their brother, like some stranger crawling out of the woodwork. Is that what you want? Will they accept you as easily as they do now!?"

         "Damn you!!" Hunter whispered as tears streaked down his cheeks. He had asked himself the same question over and over but he had learned to press it away again as there was no solution, no answer. Now it seemed they were giving him the solution but no choice in it as well. Now he said, "Don't you think, I thought of that! Oh damn you! And why are you keeping a picture of me where they can see it anyway!"

         "It was there before you stopped coming. We just didn't think to remove it. Now it's too late. Gus knows and he won't let anyone take it. If anyone touches it, he cries."

         "Ohh, DAMN YOU!! Why did you tell me that?" Hunter cried.

         "Emotional blackmail," Brian answered matter of factly...and honestly.

         And Hunter was able to laugh and cry at the same over that one.

         "Just come see them sometime and stop being such a damn stubborn twat about it. We'll stay out of your way if you want. But stop dragging the babies into something that's our fault! Now get your ass in the Jeep!" said Brian.

         "Oh, yes SIR!" Hunter said and mock saluted. He got in and added, "Well...I'll think about it!"

         Justin and Brian got into the front seats and shared a smile before starting the engine. They knew, of course, that that meant he would.

 

TBC